• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Not really. They say those things because it's what nerds and geeks think is "cool" and so they project themselves onto the character. If anyone here was an actual comic book reader/nerd/connoisseur you would know that the real Tony Stark was an insufferable prick. Horrible character. The suave persona everyone is obsessed with nowadays is all Robert Downey Jr. This is because they knew that the real Tony Stark would be a horrible lead. Heck the current Tony Stark is insufferable enough sometimes. Personally, if I was Captain America and he tried to give me that "I'd cut the wire" crap I'd probably break his jaw with a pimp slap.
Maybe that's why they changed Tony's character in the movies. Because in the comics, no one likes him now. Honestly, by the the way you are describing Comic Tony, I'd much prefer the new Tony Stark IMO. I and even if the new Tony Star is insufferable at times, isn't that one of the main traits of his character? That is he is a complete **** head?
Ser that's the problem. People swatch this and have their world view distorted and they believe that being loud/obnoxious/witty = being right/smart. It's not.
You do have a point. Still, nothing wrong with a bit of scary and witty here and there. ;)

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Movie Tony is still an insufferable prick and makes a horrible lead.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Tried Arrow or The Flash? Both of those have been excellent in my opinion.
I watched the first season of Arrow in one night, it was so excellent. But then the second season took the characters of the first season and threw them out the window, making every character have the exact opposite personality. It seemed like they got a brand new writing team that not only sucked, but didn't even watch the first season.

The flash was a joke from the get-go. Bubblegum dude (and most of the characters tbh) was worse than any character in any Marvel movie.

I mean, I shouldn't have expected otherwise. It is a CW show after all.
As for Whedon's dialogue, I know plenty of people who talk like that. It is known as banter when playful. But who wants a superhero movie without cheesy lines?
I've almost always been impressed by the realness of many of the lines that are spoken, and I don't even like Whedon. Granted, everyone is so damn witty in the first Avengers (they're a little more real in Avengers II), but honestly it fits with the characters for the most part. Whedon stories and Marvel movies in general tend to poke fun at stupid movie tropes we see so often. Like in the first Agents of SHIELD, a character revealing himself by stepping out of a dark corner then poking fun at how he wanted to make a dramatic entrance because he noticed the bulb was out. Or like in Guardians, where everybody stands up in a typical dramatic moment of friendship and then making the audience notice how stupid doing something like that actually is.

Something that some of us forget is that some of the lines are written for a (gasp) audience to make them (super audible gasp) laugh. The number of laughs in Avengers, coupled with the ease at which the humor in the movie came were two major reasons why the movie was so successful (the other than it being, you know, a groundbreaking film with a revolutionary 'shared universe' idea). So you could be mad about the lines or whatever the hell you feel like being hipstery about, but It's not like the movie wasn't successful. And it's not like the characters were bad, or the psychology of the characters didn't match up.

tl;dr Avengers was a revolutionary movie and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think my doormat is an SCP. It keeps anomalously moving to the left of my front door over time.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
ZSS is broken as far as I'm concerned. That is all.
Speaking of top tier characters, do you guys think that :4sonic: is top tier scum?

I mean, I shouldn't have expected otherwise. It is a CW show after all.I've almost always been impressed by the realness of many of the lines that are spoken, and I don't even like Whedon. Granted, everyone is so damn witty in the first Avengers (they're a little more real in Avengers II), but honestly it fits with the characters for the most part. Whedon stories and Marvel movies in general tend to poke fun at stupid movie tropes we see so often. Like in the first Agents of SHIELD, a character revealing himself by stepping out of a dark corner then poking fun at how he wanted to make a dramatic entrance because he noticed the bulb was out. Or like in Guardians, where everybody stands up in a typical dramatic moment of friendship and then making the audience notice how stupid doing something like that actually is.

Something that some of us forget is that some of the lines are written for a (gasp) audience to make them (super audible gasp) laugh. The number of laughs in Avengers, coupled with the ease at which the humor in the movie came were two major reasons why the movie was so successful (the other than it being, you know, a groundbreaking film with a revolutionary 'shared universe' idea). So you could be mad about the lines or whatever the hell you feel like being hipstery about, but It's not like the movie wasn't successful. And it's not like the characters were bad, or the psychology of the characters didn't match up.

tl;dr Avengers was a revolutionary movie and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
WHY CAN'T I LIKE THIS MORE THAN ONCE?!

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I just want to point out that there's only been one season of The Flash so far.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I just want to point out that there's only been one season of The Flash so far.
whoops
totally meant arrow

In other news I think the glitch where link slides off the platform while using his up b might actually be useful for edge guarding against chars with a vertical recovery if you're holding a cooked bomb so you can recover. even if you jump cancel the up b you still keep your jump afterwards which makes for an easy recovery, provided you cook the bomb long enough.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
So apparently DF thinks that our responses to him about the whole super hero thing is nerd rage lol. At first I was a bit surprised that he would think that, but then I realized that a hipster wouldn't spend enough time around nerds to know what real nerd rage is.
*Content removed for the benefit of concerned citizens. See quoted for past content.*

Are the matches online? Where?
Catana :4link: vs :4drmario:
23 May 2015 Tournament
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DUefZ5IC_I

Catana :4link: vs Skippo:4bowser:
23 May 2015 Tournament
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAqL-vN2-k

Other ones will be on same channel.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Funny how your ad hominem argument followed an intellectual discussion of a comic book movie.

You know

The kind you said you'd never seen before.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Cultural Elitism? Heavens no. Being opinionated? Yes. Coming off as dismissive and mean spirited? Probably to anyone without a spine.
Anyone who's seriously offended by an opinion and or the stating of said opinion should consider digging a hole to live in so the "mean thoughts man" can't get you. Even so, I think it should go without saying that jumping into a conversation about something you despise only for the express purpose of belittling the subject matter and all those who have a positive opinion of it is terribly uncouth.

Must be hard having refined tastes in literature and fine art. So little to enjoy when the arts of the great masters must inevitably share the same planetary airspace as lowbrow trash such pop culture and its ilk.
I personally am not offended if you do not like something I enjoy, but I hope you can live with the notion of me thinking you a cad for being so vocally negative on a matter that should serve you no interest... An exercise in futility as it were.

Much like this post.. :troll:

There DF, do I get psuedo-intellectual points for typing out flanderized drivel like that, or am I going to need to try harder?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's pretty hard to spend time around nerds when the hot sun is too much for them, and they require an asylum that is reassuringly dark, damp and sweaty, filled with nerds like them and...

Catana :4link: vs :4drmario:
23 May 2015 Tournament
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DUefZ5IC_I
You should probably not rant about nerds and post videos of competitive gaming tournaments you attend in the same post. Just a suggestion.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I was too harsh, I have snipped the post. Let's not make this a thing I'm already getting bored.

Smash players are largely well-adjusted people not embarrassing, smelly nerds -- they just spend occasional Saturdays going out to tournaments. A little silly but hardly less ridiculous than any other competitive event. I keep the whole Smash thing a secret from people around me.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I watched the first season of Arrow in one night, it was so excellent. But then the second season took the characters of the first season and threw them out the window, making every character have the exact opposite personality. It seemed like they got a brand new writing team that not only sucked, but didn't even watch the first season.

The flash was a joke from the get-go. Bubblegum dude (and most of the characters tbh) was worse than any character in any Marvel movie.

I mean, I shouldn't have expected otherwise. It is a CW show after all.I've almost always been impressed by the realness of many of the lines that are spoken, and I don't even like Whedon. Granted, everyone is so damn witty in the first Avengers (they're a little more real in Avengers II), but honestly it fits with the characters for the most part. Whedon stories and Marvel movies in general tend to poke fun at stupid movie tropes we see so often. Like in the first Agents of SHIELD, a character revealing himself by stepping out of a dark corner then poking fun at how he wanted to make a dramatic entrance because he noticed the bulb was out. Or like in Guardians, where everybody stands up in a typical dramatic moment of friendship and then making the audience notice how stupid doing something like that actually is.

Hear that loud explosion like sound? That's the Sonic boom caused by our comments flying over your head. Nobody said that the Avengers wasn't revolutionary. Heck, Lawz and I had this whole debate where I felt it was made camera that successful =/= good. The movie is meant to attract masses, and as such, it has to be dumb. It's how statistics and the principle of average work. I enjoy the Marvel movies (sometimes) and I tend to love DC movies (even if DKR was somewhat stupid) but I can still be objectively critical of them. This is it basically, me criticizing the aspects I didn't like about the movie. I enjoyed Avengers 2, but it's still a damn dumb movie with too many flaws and inconsistencies that broke immersion for me. Did it make money? Yes. Is it successful? Yes. Is it a great movie? No. You may like it, but from a critical point of view it's not a masterpiece for the ages.

Also, Tony Stark is a prick who in real life would not only be hated but he'd be in jail. I'm rooting for Captain America in civil war.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Stay salty, DF. Stay salty.

Also, let's not forget that Tony only admitted, even as a joke, that he would be a rapist if he could wield Thor's hammer.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Stay salty, DF. Stay salty.

Also, let's not forget that Tony only admitted, even as a joke, that he would be a rapist if he could wield Thor's hammer.
Didn't he say his reign would be fair but cruel?

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Didn't he say his reign would be fair but cruel?
That and that he would reinstitute prima nocte, a policy where a lord is allowed to shag any bride he wants on her wedding day.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Hear that loud explosion like sound? That's the Sonic boom caused by our comments flying over your head. Nobody said that the Avengers wasn't revolutionary. Heck, Lawz and I had this whole debate where I felt it was made camera that successful =/= good. The movie is meant to attract masses, and as such, it has to be dumb. It's how statistics and the principle of average work. I enjoy the Marvel movies (sometimes) and I tend to love DC movies (even if DKR was somewhat stupid) but I can still be objectively critical of them. This is it basically, me criticizing the aspects I didn't like about the movie. I enjoyed Avengers 2, but it's still a damn dumb movie with too many flaws and inconsistencies that broke immersion for me. Did it make money? Yes. Is it successful? Yes. Is it a great movie? No. You may like it, but from a critical point of view it's not a masterpiece for the ages.
Wait I was talking about Avengers 2? Nah bruh.
Avengers 2 was actually bad from a literary standpoint. The characters were more believable, sure, but it used a number of movie tropes that Marvel movies usually make fun of. Avengers 2 was the first Marvel movie in a long while that hasn't had the 'Marvel charm' so to speak and instead was just a movie meant to appeal to the masses. Ironically, you needed to see most of the other movies that have come out since then to even understand what was going on. Avengers 2 was nowhere close to being groundbreaking. Honestly, it was an alright movie. There's a reason that Avengers 2 was the reason Whedon was fired by Marvel.

I did consider not pointing out the popularity of the movie in my post, because there have been plenty of films that have been horrible that did well in the box office - Frozen and 50 Shades of Grey being top contenders. However, Avengers is not one of those movies.

Avengers 1 was actually a very well done movie - if you look at it with a cinematic approach. Something that I can do, because cinematography is one of the things I do. It deserves the spot near Avatar in total number of box office sales. If we were to watch the movie and we could point out the flaws: visually, musically, and mentally (aka plot and characters) you would be hard pressed to find more than 20. The rising plot, developing to the climax, along to the resolution was one of the smoothest plots I have come across. The way they introduce characters and showed their abilities was very well done. I know that you might think I'm a lost cause and I'm praising a movie that doesn't deserve it, and you might be right. Maybe the movie that convinced me that Marvel movies were the real deal instead of some stupid blockbuster flick (glares at Iron Man 2), isn't all that good. Maybe the movie that introduced new ideas on camera angles, position, and lighting to me actually was cinematically average. However considering how well the movie did, not only in box office, but in DVD sales as well? Considering that 92% of critics enjoyed the movie? Something tells me I'm not completely wrong. That doesn't mean you're wrong. Although I do disagree with the notion that only dumb movies can be popular.
Also, Tony Stark is a prick who in real life would not only be hated but he'd be in jail. I'm rooting for Captain America in civil war.
Tony Stark is a mentally unstable man who, with the help of another mentally unstable man, nearly brought about the destruction of earth. Would he go to jail though? Maybe things are different in Paraguay, but celebrities in America are very difficult to send to jail. Especially ones that have helped save the world twice, and also saw to rescuing the president from the hands of a terrorist. And I should mention that Stark has some damn expensive lawyers. Realistically? Stark wouldn't be anywhere near jail.

However I'm totally rooting for Captain America. Screw Stark and him not learning from his mistakes. Vision was a terrible Idea. Granted, Vision ended up being good, but that was all Thor in the end.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Just for the record, watches Marvel movies =/= nerd. My roommates girlfriend loves marvel movies and she is most assuredly not a nerd...alright, carry on.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Sure, millions of people watch those films -- but they have a fun night once and are done with it. The endless discussing and honoring and sharing gifs of them is what gets me. It's the same with Star Wars: it went from a fun night at the cinema to some gigantic hobby all by itself.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Smash bros went from a fun time with friends every once in a while to a gigantic hobby all by itself.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Sure, millions of people watch those films -- but they have a fun night once and are done with it. The endless discussing and honoring and sharing gifs of them is what gets me. It's the same with Star Wars: it went from a fun night at the cinema to some gigantic hobby all by itself.
Actually, you kinda remind me of my roommate in a way. You both allow the discussions and conversations between people about something to don't appreciate annoy you. It's quite comical actually.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Wait I was talking about Avengers 2? Nah bruh.
Avengers 2 was actually bad from a literary standpoint. The characters were more believable, sure, but it used a number of movie tropes that Marvel movies usually make fun of. Avengers 2 was the first Marvel movie in a long while that hasn't had the 'Marvel charm' so to speak and instead was just a movie meant to appeal to the masses. Ironically, you needed to see most of the other movies that have come out since then to even understand what was going on. Avengers 2 was nowhere close to being groundbreaking. Honestly, it was an alright movie. There's a reason that Avengers 2 was the reason Whedon was fired by Marvel.

I did consider not pointing out the popularity of the movie in my post, because there have been plenty of films that have been horrible that did well in the box office - Frozen and 50 Shades of Grey being top contenders. However, Avengers is not one of those movies.

Avengers 1 was actually a very well done movie - if you look at it with a cinematic approach. Something that I can do, because cinematography is one of the things I do. It deserves the spot near Avatar in total number of box office sales. If we were to watch the movie and we could point out the flaws: visually, musically, and mentally (aka plot and characters) you would be hard pressed to find more than 20. The rising plot, developing to the climax, along to the resolution was one of the smoothest plots I have come across. The way they introduce characters and showed their abilities was very well done. I know that you might think I'm a lost cause and I'm praising a movie that doesn't deserve it, and you might be right. Maybe the movie that convinced me that Marvel movies were the real deal instead of some stupid blockbuster flick (glares at Iron Man 2), isn't all that good. Maybe the movie that introduced new ideas on camera angles, position, and lighting to me actually was cinematically average. However considering how well the movie did, not only in box office, but in DVD sales as well? Considering that 92% of critics enjoyed the movie? Something tells me I'm not completely wrong. That doesn't mean you're wrong. Although I do disagree with the notion that only dumb movies can be popular.

Tony Stark is a mentally unstable man who, with the help of another mentally unstable man, nearly brought about the destruction of earth. Would he go to jail though? Maybe things are different in Paraguay, but celebrities in America are very difficult to send to jail. Especially ones that have helped save the world twice, and also saw to rescuing the president from the hands of a terrorist. And I should mention that Stark has some damn expensive lawyers. Realistically? Stark wouldn't be anywhere near jail.

However I'm totally rooting for Captain America. Screw Stark and him not learning from his mistakes. Vision was a terrible Idea. Granted, Vision ended up being good, but that was all Thor in the end.
Your entire post was really good and we'll thought respectable...then you mentioned Avatar. Yeah, no, don't mention Avatar. Avatar was only a technological breakthrough. As a movie itself? It's garbage. There is a reason why everyone has almost forgotten about it already and why it has had no impact on pop culture. I can support and understand most things you can say about Avengers and Marvel movies, but Avatar is garbage.

Also, I know you weren't talking about Avengers 2. I simply mentioned it as an example, as I mentioned DC movies. Avengers was good, really fun and entertaining, but it wasn't the be all end all of movies people make it out to be.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Actually, you kinda remind me of my roommate in a way. You both allow the discussions and conversations between people about something to don't appreciate annoy you. It's quite comical actually.
These nerdspasms and srs mother****ing discussions about srs mother****ing comic books!1!1! are as 'comical' if you want to go there: like adults LARPing as children having a playground conversation.

Smash bros went from a fun time with friends every once in a while to a gigantic hobby all by itself.
It's a niche thing, not culturally omnipresent. The entire internet goes crazy over some new Star Wars trailer. Scale is the issue. But I am embarrassed to be involved with 'smash bros' in this way as it is.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't be mad at DF; that's one of the cutest and most awesome avatars on this site. "I'm Link" :awesome:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
lol i knew you'd have to have the last words with some passive-aggressive ****. stay emasculated you dolt.
What's wrong with being emasculated? Ever tried wearing a skirt? The breeze feels amazing on the balls. And I'm sure you could use some make-up too.

But seriously, you're the one getting their knickers in a twist over a discussion about comic book adaptations.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
What's wrong with being emasculated? Ever tried wearing a skirt? The breeze feels amazing on the balls. And I'm sure you could use some make-up too.

But seriously, you're the one getting their knickers in a twist over a discussion about comic book adaptations.
Emasculation involves the removing of the male genitals entirely.

As you mean it though, an emasculated male is useless, and should be disposed of.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Emasculation involves the removing of the male genitals entirely.

As you mean it though, an emasculated male is useless, and should be disposed of.
Emasculation involves the removal of masculinity, which could be physical (such as removal of genitalia) or more metaphorical, such as stripping a man of those characteristics deemed "masculine".

Not going near the last bit.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Emasculation involves the removal of masculinity, which could be physical (such as removal of genitalia) or more metaphorical, such as stripping a man of those characteristics deemed "masculine".

Not going near the last bit.
Dude es that mean that you're OK with being mutilated? Be it physically, psychologically, or emotionally, up to a degree where you lose a core part of your self and identity? I am assuming of course that you do identify as a male. If that is the case, then you being ok with being denied the ability or chance of being "you" is truly baffling.

If however you say that you are fine with being emasculated since it's not part of who you are, and still claim to have the gender identity of a male, then you are speaking in oxymorons.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Dude es that mean that you're OK with being mutilated? Be it physically, psychologically, or emotionally, up to a degree where you lose a core part of your self and identity? I am assuming of course that you do identify as a male. If that is the case, then you being ok with being denied the ability or chance of being "you" is truly baffling.

If however you say that you are fine with being emasculated since it's not part of who you are, and still claim to have the gender identity of a male, then you are speaking in oxymorons.
No. I was going more theoretical. Do I want my genitals removed? Not a chance. However, I find the idea of the metaphorical form of emasculation pretty daft. It is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man.

Really, the entire idea of emasculation is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man. I wouldn't feel less a man for having no **** or balls or because I wore heels, a mini skirt and make up.

This does not mean I want core aspects of my identity messed with. It simply means my identity is not bound to archaic ideas of masculinity and femininity.

But if DF wants to spend his time thinking about my genitals or lack thereof (or me in a skirt), well, whatever floats his boat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom