• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Skyward sword is my second favorite Zelda ever. I just wanted to see if he knew what I was talking about. My least favorite Zelda is Links awakening. Ii was just lame. No offence to whom ever enjoyed it.
*Plays Ballad of the Wind Fish to wish you out of existence*

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
This cringe inducing dialogue is typical for those films written by overgrown socially inept adolescents who grossly overestimate their own wit, and think conversation consists entirely of people attempting to upstage each other with pop cultural references and "ironic" zingers. As if a superhuman soldier from World War II would say a line as ridiculous as that! This is what you get when people who are essentially internet nerds write blockbuster movies.

Communicating through animated images is an outgrowth of that nonsense. Let's not make this our local tributary of tumblrite tears. I recommend a gif blocker to everyone.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This cringe inducing dialogue is typical for those films written by overgrown socially inept adolescents who grossly overestimate their own wit, and think conversation consists entirely of people attempting to upstage each other with pop cultural references and "ironic" zingers. As if a superhuman soldier from World War II would say a line as ridiculous as that! This is what you get when people who are essentially internet nerds write blockbuster movies.
Have you seen the Avengers? He's not trying to upstage anyone. He says "I get that reference" because it was a very old reference that even he gets despite being frozen for decades. Captain America doesn't get most of the modern world.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Have you seen the Avengers? He's not trying to upstage anyone. He says "I get that reference" because it was a very old reference that even he gets despite being frozen for decades. Captain America doesn't get most of the modern world.
I understood the context but it is written to set up cheesy lines like that. I can't read dialogue like this without cringing:
Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?
Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.
Steve Rogers: I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you.
Tony Stark: I think I would just cut the wire.
Steve Rogers: Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero.
Tony Stark: A hero? Like you? You're a lab rat, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle!
Steve Rogers: Put on the suit. Let's go a few rounds.
Thor: Do not touch me again!
Tony Stark: Then don't take my stuff.
Thor: You have no idea what you are dealing with.
Tony Stark: Uh, Shakespeare in The Park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?
Thor: This is beyond you, metal man. Loki will face Asgardian justice.
Tony Stark: He gives up the Cube, he's all yours. Until then, stay out of the way, tourist.
Natasha Romanoff: Doctor, we're facing a potential global catastrophe.
Bruce Banner: Well, THOSE I actively try to avoid.
Natasha Romanoff: This is the Tesseract.
[she shows him a photo of the Tesseract on her cell phone]
Natasha Romanoff: It has the potential energy to wipe out the planet.
Bruce Banner: What does Fury want me to do? Swallow it?
Natasha Romanoff: Well, he wants you to find it. It's been taken. It omits a gamma signature that's too weak for us to trace. There's no one that knows gamma radiation like you do. If there was, that's where I'd be.
Bruce Banner: So Fury isn't after the monster?
Natasha Romanoff: Not that he's told me.
Bruce Banner: And he tells you everything?
Natasha Romanoff: Talk to Fury, he needs you on this.
Bruce Banner: He needs me in a cage?
Natasha Romanoff: No one's gonna put you in a...
Bruce Banner: STOP LYING TO ME!
[cringing back, Natasha quickly grabs her gun and points it at Banner]
Bruce Banner: I'm sorry, that was mean. I just wanted to see what you'd do. Why don't we do this the easy way, where you don't use that, and the other guy doesn't make a mess? Okay?
[Natasha, still wary, doesn't lower her gun]
Bruce Banner: Natasha?
Natasha Romanoff: [she lowers her gun and speaks into her earpiece to the SHIELD agents who are surrounding the building outside] Stand down. We're good here.
Bruce Banner: [Banner looks at Natasha in amusement] Just you and me?
This is imagined nerd dialogue they constantly fantasize about having, not realizing nobody on earth talks like that. It's like when people post ridiculous stories on the internet that didn't happen: the same affectations appear in the dialogue. It's as if these people have the time to pause time mid-dialogue, open a text editor and formulate a perfect comeback filled with extensive pop culture references.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I understood the context but it is written to set up cheesy lines like that. I can't read dialogue like this without cringing:

This is imagined nerd dialogue they constantly fantasize about having, not realizing nobody on earth talks like that. It's like when people post ridiculous stories on the internet that didn't happen: the same affectations appear in the dialogue. It's as if these people have the time to pause time mid-dialogue, open a text editor and formulate a perfect comeback filled with extensive pop culture references.
There's one cultural reference to Shakespeare in all that text. If you don't want nerd dialog don't watch movies about a guy exposed to radiation so he turns into a green muscle man. It's like watching a Shakespeare play and complaining about the lack of car chases; what did you expect?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
so you don't like watching movies?
"I don't like watching movies for overgrown manchildren about comic book heroes" = "i don't like movies" lol
You know you're neck deep into nerd ******ry when statements like that come out.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
By my part, I also despite certain movies of that type, but I also enjoy other movies that are well made (in my opinion, btw), as Amazing Spiderman I & II and Prince of Persia... I also know that some Batman movies are very interesting and well thinking... but i don't like Batman... :x

ama99

Smash Journeyman
By my part, I also despite certain movies of that type, but I also enjoy other movies that are well made (in my opinion, btw), as Amazing Spiderman I & II and Prince of Persia... I also know that some Batman movies are very interesting and well thinking... but i don't like Batman... :x
Garbage flims.

@ Dumbfire Dumbfire Is like the hipster of the hipster world on a hipster forum with a hipster attitude, our resident hipster. What a hipster.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
That's just the way I feel. Sorry.
Links Awakening is probably the best handheld Zelda.
Well I liked the oracles better. But if we can name any handheld, Zelda A Link between worlds would be my number 1 pick, but that's just me.

"I don't like watching movies for overgrown manchildren about comic book heroes" = "i don't like movies" lol
You know you're neck deep into nerd ******ry when statements like that come out.
Whoa man. no need for words like that. I do support you in a way. If marvel made a Zelda movie, I would be upset, Zelda is a game and should stay as a game. Not some money making film. But I do like the Marvel and DC movies.

For now, pray this movie does not suck.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
For now, pray this movie does not suck.
it's a WB movie (strike 1) made by DC (strike 2) to try to fight marvel's success (batter out)

I don't have anywhere close to high hopes for batman vs superman. If the movie is any better than the terrible Man of Steel I'll be impressed. And right now given that teaser trailer with the horrid editing and painful overlapping soundbites, I'm not seeing anything good.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I've never watched a superman movie and liked it...but then again I just don't like superman.

Edit: I vote that we fill the next couple pages with superhero stuff to drive DF crazy.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I really like the Batman animated series and Arkham style games but never got into like Batman movies (besides the campy Adam West one :awesome:) The only live superhero movies I thought transferred from cartoons in a good way were the X-Men movies and Ironman. The fit with a more serious sci-fi style. I did not like the first live Spiderman movies and never saw the rebooted ones. Spiderman is supposed to have a cheesy wit like in the comics, not be an emo-drama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7c3vBZ7jA
^This.
The Avengers was okay.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I've never watched a superman movie and liked it...but then again I just don't like superman.

Edit: I vote that we fill the next couple pages with superhero stuff to drive DF crazy.
I didn't really appreciate Super Man until I watched Smallville. I'd recommend it.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
No **** Sherlock.
Well thank you for your sure to be long lasting contribution to the social thread. This comment leaves plenty of room for discussion.
On a side note, I have never really had a problem with the superman movies. The Avengers isn't too bad either. But I must say I don't have faith in Batman vs Supermman the expectations are gonna be too high and if it flops it will be a massive failure.

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I like Man of Steel. I was pretty impressed with it, I just wish they had better fight scenes.

In regards to Superman vs. Batman, I think it'll flop. Everyone (casual or not) should know that Superman will beat Batman just about every single time. But, somehow, Batman will win because he's more human or something like that.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
In news not related to cawmic bwooks (srs business) we had a big 2-day tournament here this weekend with all kinds of Brits, Germans, Luxembourgers, Mexicans and of course Dutchies. I was wrecked by a German Ike in the winner's finals of my pools bracket: the man opened our set with a 0-death and I only got one of his 6 stocks in 2 games :sadeyes: Then in loser's finals I got to play Ixis' his Sonic, and despite him knowing the MU and having a good read on me it went decently -- it's true Sonic is one of Link's best top tier MUs, nowhere near hopeless. Ixis placed 3rd (with J.Miller fourth, Mr-R first and our Britslayer a Ness second). Anaky uses Toon Link in tournament now although he still "plays" Link.

Me and Cat's endless nagging Mr-R also worked out finally because he dittod Cat one game after we taught him how to bombslide:

Cat also won more sets with Link than with MK this tourney, which is a great sign. He timed out a Wario with Link (heh), and there are some beautiful games against a Dr. Mario and Bowser (already available) and soon against a Luigi. The last one is a special story, because it was game 3 in a set against our other local Metaknight: a man who placed 5th (outplacing Cat's 9th) last tourney. Payback was big, as he went Link against him instead of the MK ditto everyone expected:

More on Cat's heroism later.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire Because nerds exercising their macho-ism by beating each other in a fighting game containing an above average person in a power suit, a captain of un-proportional speed and strength, someone not of the human race that commands lighting at their will, a giant raging beast, a deadly female bounty hunter proficient in the use of firearms, and a guy with a bow and arrow is clearly more srs business than let's say...oh I dunno, something like the Avengers.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Captain America = Captain Falcon?........................................My head just exploded.

Anyway, I just got on Smash Ladder, it's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to improving my Link game.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Smallville anything CW is not my cup of tea.
Tried Arrow or The Flash? Both of those have been excellent in my opinion.

As for Whedon's dialogue, I know plenty of people who talk like that. It is known as banter when playful. But who wants a superhero movie without cheesy lines?

Surely a Captain Amerifalcon would say "Show me your freedom"?

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
In news not related to cawmic bwooks (srs business) we had a big 2-day tournament here this weekend with all kinds of Brits, Germans, Luxembourgers, Mexicans and of course Dutchies.

More on Cat's heroism later.
Are the matches online? Where?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What in Naga's name is going on here?!

Communicating through animated images is an outgrowth of that nonsense. Let's not make this our local tributary of tumblrite tears. I recommend a gif blocker to everyone.

My literal reaction to this post. I have no idea how to reply to this.

I like Man of Steel. Come at me.
I didn't mind Man of Steel. Though I can see why people hated it.

Maybe that's the point. Maybe they have the character say lines that no one would say in real life because they don't exist in really life? I don't know. I still thought they were funny.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
So apparently DF thinks that our responses to him about the whole super hero thing is nerd rage lol. At first I was a bit surprised that he would think that, but then I realized that a hipster wouldn't spend enough time around nerds to know what real nerd rage is.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
So apparently DF thinks that our responses to him about the whole super hero thing is nerd rage lol. At first I was a bit surprised that he would think that, but then I realized that a hipster wouldn't spend enough time around nerds to know what real nerd rage is.
Me after reading this.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Maybe that's the point. Maybe they have the character say lines that no one would say in real life because they don't exist in really life? I don't know. I still thought they were funny.
Not really. They say those things because it's what nerds and geeks think is "cool" and so they project themselves onto the character. If anyone here was an actual comic book reader/nerd/connoisseur you would know that the real Tony Stark was an insufferable prick. Horrible character. The suave persona everyone is obsessed with nowadays is all Robert Downey Jr. This is because they knew that the real Tony Stark would be a horrible lead. Heck the current Tony Stark is insufferable enough sometimes. Personally, if I was Captain America and he tried to give me that "I'd cut the wire" crap I'd probably break his jaw with a pimp slap.

Ser that's the problem. People swatch this and have their world view distorted and they believe that being loud/obnoxious/witty = being right/smart. It's not.

Top Bottom