• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Last edited by a moderator:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Darker isn't the best description for MM or any Zelda imo. MM had a mysterious, spirit world quality that made it feel darker because fear of the unknown and surreal qualities. TP was more mature. I think the darkest LoZ was OoT; look at the shadow temple and bottom of the well. Torture instruments with blood, dead hands, invisible walls/enemies...

Saying a Zelda plot isn't original doesn't really work for the series. ALttP is an expansion of the NES LoZ and most Zelda games run a variation of the ALttP plot with some minor things swapped. OoT had a dark future rather than a dark world and TP had the dark world invading the light world, which I think was a pretty cool development on the basic plot. It's all the early 3 dungeons>get deeper into the real plot>next set of dungeons>save Zelda format.
SS didn't break the format at all. It's as much OoT as TP is, maybe more since Link and Zelda have a connection unlike TP. Spiritual stones/slabs>Zelda disappears and is in disguise> gain the power to fight evil through the master sword or sages>save Zelda OoT/SS plot.
Not that following the formula is a bad thing. That's why we play Zelda games is to play zelda games. But pretty much any complaints about TP not being original apply to most zeldas.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Emphasizing those who are qualified to call themselves "good links."
And pray tell, who is qualified and how do you qualify? What is the criteria to earn the honor of being a good Link?

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
Majora's Mask is the black sheep of the Zelda clan if you ask me. And yes I am counting Zelda 2 in that grouping. Majora's Mask is just so incredibly different and out there. It has everything from aliens to 34 year old losers in fairy costumes, and a moon with a face on it to a giant flaming finger. The game still throws me with just how different it is from every other Zelda.

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
Alright, while we're at it. Top 5 Zelda games.

1. A Link to the Past
2. Majora's Mask
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. Wind Waker
5. Ocarina of Time

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Now that others have posted. @ Rizen Rizen , I'm talking about plot, not mechanics nor the formula. Plot as in story, not which dungeons you do or how you progress through the game. The only games which copied ALttP in plot have been Oot and TP with the whole two worlds, dark and light thing (albw doesn't count since it's ALttP sequel). Story, not progression style.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
  1. Wand of Gamelon Majora's Mask
  2. Skyward Sword
  3. Ocarina of Time
  4. Ocarina of Time: Master Quest
  5. Ocarina of Time 3D
I've never played ALttP or WW in-depth.

Last edited:

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
Oh you're doing yourself a massive disservice. Get on dat Wii U and buy ALttP. Last I knew it was like five bucks.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
  1. Wand of Gamelon Majora's Mask
  2. Skyward Sword
  3. Ocarina of Time
  4. Ocarina of Time: Master Quest
  5. Ocarina of Time 3D
I've never played ALttP or WW in-depth.
You don't know Zelda until you've played the first three. After that everything fits in and you see the series differently. Also, ALttP is the best Zelda (tied with SS) so you really have to play it.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
it's AUD10.40. For that price I might as well just buy Earthbound, M&L:SS or an FE game.
Anyway, there are other ways to play ALttP without using the eShop >_> and I never said I hadn't played it, I just played through to Kakariko, got bored of it and I went to Minish Cap instead.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
would it make you feel better if i said I went to play Earthbound instead of Minish Cap?
so rude.

Last edited:

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
I actually never even bothered to try any of the series that followed Wind Waker. Zelda needs to be a console game to me, not hand held, so I never really got into them. At least not since the Oracle Games.

Rizen

Smash Legend
There's that word again @ Rizen Rizen , "mature". Pray tell, what makes TP so "mature"?
I mean in terms of maturity, not a mature rating. Link and Zelda aren't kids as opposed to SS where they are in school without adult responsibilities. In TP the whole game through Link has the responsibilities of an adult, he has his own house, is chosen to represent the town, etc. Similarly Zelda has the burden of ruling the Kingdom.
Now that others have posted. @ Rizen Rizen , I'm talking about plot, not mechanics nor the formula. Plot as in story, not which dungeons you do or how you progress through the game. The only games which copied ALttP in plot have been Oot and TP with the whole two worlds, dark and light thing (albw doesn't count since it's ALttP sequel). Story, not progression style.
Plot is the progression of a story, which mirrors OoT. In a sentence both the OoT and SS plot are: Link goes on a quest for Zelda to stop evil. Expanded more: Link goes on a quest to collect 3 stones for Zelda then due to unforeseen events he must increase his power to smite evil and ultimately save Zelda.
Girahim, Aughanim and Zant all play the same role in the legend: reviving the evil king. I think of the Legend of Zelda series as retelling of the same legend for the most part. SS is a bit of ALttP and OoT mixed but it doesn't differ from the legend: Face the trials to stop evil and save the princess.
If you want to talk about setting then Skyloft is a new location and the past Hyrule has different geography from the more common version. TP takes place in a closer setting to OoT.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
1. OoT
2. SS
3. ALttP
4. WW
5. LBW

I would call TP "darker" rather than "more mature." Either way it wasn't one of my favorites. Only Zelda game I just straight up got bored with halfway through and didn't finish.

I never finished Majora's Mask either but that was because I never felt like I had enough time to commit to playing through a handful of 3-day cycles in one sitting to make progress and not forget where I was. I'll give it another try when it comes out on 3ds and I can just close the lid to put the system in sleep mode.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I never finished Majora's Mask either but that was because I never felt like I had enough time to commit to playing through a handful of 3-day cycles in one sitting to make progress and not forget where I was. I'll give it another try when it comes out on 3ds and I can just close the lid to put the system in sleep mode.
You didn't have an hour and 36 minutes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUSAIiRjcQ
:pimp:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
You didn't have an hour and 36 minutes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUSAIiRjcQ
:pimp:
Something tells me that's probably not his first time playing the game though. First time playing a game I kinda like to, y'know, follow the storyline and read the text in the game and all. So it'd probably take me juuuust a little longer than an hour and a half to beat MM :awesome:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sorry, not home.

While I don't have the dislike to TP that many old mains share, I do think it inferior in many ways. First and foremost, the plot is bad. Well, not bad, but uninspired. TP brings absolutely nothing new to the global plot. Well, maybe only the hero's shade, but that's OoT again. In contrast, the plot in SS was astounding inspiring and it retroactively made every Zelda better. The only good thing TP had plot wise was the final scene of the ending, nothing else.

Also, I'm tired of hearing how TP is better because it's darker. Screw that noise. If you think like this then you suck at Zelda. Zelda has never, never needed sepia tones to be dark and mature and that's the beauty of it. Zelda is extremely dark even with its happy flamboyant style. Heck the darkest Zelda of all is MM by far and it has the same colors as OoT. The only thing TP has darker than MM is its horrible brown palette. I hate that mentality you're expressing with passion.

And before you say anything about SS not being dark, it is. It is extremely dark, far more so than TP. Just think about the lore and the npcs and conversations. Girahim keeps saying things like "you will die screaming as you drown in your own blood". What? Is that not dark enough simply because it didn't use a swear word?

You kids need to read more books. Your imaginations suck. It's like unless you're spoon-fed information and everything is overtly lying in the open you can't see it.
Can I please give you a hug Elessat?! I LOVE YOU MAN AND WHAT YOU SAID.

Seriously, TP was good but compared to games like SS and MM, it's kind of bad.

Also don't judge a book by its cover. I love to read, it's my favourite past time active besides gaming and drawing.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Alright, while we're at it. Top 5 Zelda games.

1. A Link to the Past
2. Majora's Mask
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. Wind Waker
5. Ocarina of Time
1. A Link to the Past
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Majora's Mask
5. A Link Between Worlds

Your list is solid

I guess I'm the only one here that really likes TP?

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sorry, not home.

While I don't have the dislike to TP that many old mains share, I do think it inferior in many ways. First and foremost, the plot is bad. Well, not bad, but uninspired. TP brings absolutely nothing new to the global plot. Well, maybe only the hero's shade, but that's OoT again. In contrast, the plot in SS was astounding inspiring and it retroactively made every Zelda better. The only good thing TP had plot wise was the final scene of the ending, nothing else.

Also, I'm tired of hearing how TP is better because it's darker. Screw that noise. If you think like this then you suck at Zelda. Zelda has never, never needed sepia tones to be dark and mature and that's the beauty of it. Zelda is extremely dark even with its happy flamboyant style. Heck the darkest Zelda of all is MM by far and it has the same colors as OoT. The only thing TP has darker than MM is its horrible brown palette. I hate that mentality you're expressing with passion.

And before you say anything about SS not being dark, it is. It is extremely dark, far more so than TP. Just think about the lore and the npcs and conversations. Girahim keeps saying things like "you will die screaming as you drown in your own blood". What? Is that not dark enough simply because it didn't use a swear word?

You kids need to read more books. Your imaginations suck. It's like unless you're spoon-fed information and everything is overtly lying in the open you can't see it.
Exactly, also TP didn't really have that many creepy atmospheres either. Sure, it has Arbiters grounds... But that was pretty much it..... The only other thing it has is the stuff involving Twilight, which really, weren't that scary.

Skyward Sword has the Silent Realms. which boy were they a lot more scary than the whole of Twilight Princess, and even some horror games. Also, it was beautiful what they did with the use of color.

Even more so, Skyward Sword had Ancient Cistern, which really was an amazing dungeon. It complimented a light, watery, and beautiful dungeon, with extremely dark and stressful atmospheres in the bottom which left a better impact on you.

Not only that, but you dealt with the premise of death of an entire civilization in the Lanayru Province. You saw these beings that once lived die in an instant due to the time stone mechanic, and there is dialogue that legitimately makes you feel sad for them.

Even more than that, but the whole world has more scars the war of Demise left upon. You have to look for them, but they can be extremely interesting when you do find them.

Jasudin

Smash Apprentice
In Your Alert Box, Increasing the Amount of Alerts
NNID
sushiramen8811
3DS FC
4768-7740-0434
Boomerang in oracle of seasons/ages = best boomerang.
Nah, LA Boomerang OHKOs EVERYTHING; final boss - instadeath $$$$$
My list:
1. MM
2. WW
3. OoT
4. ALttP
5. TLoZ
6. ALBW
7. SS
8. TP
9. LA
10. OoX
11. Zelda II
12. ST
13. PH
14. FS
Haven't played FSA and TMC yet but FSA would probably be above FS and TMC would probably be above the Oracle games.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Skyward Sword has the Silent Realms. which boy were they a lot more scary than the whole of Twilight Princess, and even some horror games. Also, it was beautiful what they did with the use of color.
This, a million times this. My heart has never raced faster during a Zelda game. Especially when you collect all the tears, think you're home free, and then step in some waking water. Even listening to the music gives me the creeps now.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I never found Silent Realms scary. :/ The only dark parts of TP were the Twilight Curtains, which weren't that scary, the Oocoos we creepy looking and the Lake Bed Temple intro/Final light spirit cut scene. But IMO OoT was the darkest Zelda game.
I guess I'm the only one here that really likes TP?
I like TP. IIRC there was a NintendoPower poll that had 40% really liking TP and 60% liking WW. TP felt the most polished of any Zelda with the day/night/weather changes, realistic textures and lighting. It had a huge adventure scale that reminds me of scenes from movies like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. No other Zelda gave the cinematic experience like TP. I also like when Link acts like an adult which didn't happen in WW and SS as much.

My top Zelda list is (based on games I've beaten):
1 MM
2 TP
3 ALttP
4 LA
5 OoT
6 LoZ (NES)
7 SS
(Hyrule Warriors goes here)
8 OoSeasons
9 OoAges
10 Four Swords Adventures
11 Zelda 2

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Exactly, also TP didn't really have that many creepy atmospheres either. Sure, it has Arbiters grounds... But that was pretty much it..... The only other thing it has is the stuff involving Twilight, which really, weren't that scary.

Even more so, Skyward Sword had Ancient Cistern, which really was an amazing dungeon. It complimented a light, watery, and beautiful dungeon, with extremely dark and stressful atmospheres in the bottom which left a better impact on you.

Not only that, but you dealt with the premise of death of an entire civilization in the Lanayru Province. You saw these beings that once lived die in an instant due to the time stone mechanic, and there is dialogue that legitimately makes you feel sad for them.

Even more than that, but the whole world has more scars the war of Demise left upon. You have to look for them, but they can be extremely interesting when you do find them.
I agree with @ Zelkam Zelkam and Lozjam. The Silent Realm is a masterpiece of suspense and thrill. I remember one time that one of the guardians was charging at me and had the last tear lying behind him. Just as he swung his sword I rolled and grabbed the tear and finished. I was so epic and had my heart racing so bad. TP has nothing that even comes close to this.

Also the basement of the Water Cistern is down right disturbing. Seriously, stop paying attention to only the overt. TP had maybe the right colors (sad, depressing and boring) and the right look (realistic) but beyond that it's really subpar and uninspired.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I agree with @ Zelkam Zelkam and Lozjam. The Silent Realm is a masterpiece of suspense and thrill. I remember one time that one of the guardians was charging at me and had the last tear lying behind him. Just as he swung his sword I rolled and grabbed the tear and finished. I was so epic and had my heart racing so bad. TP has nothing that even comes close to this.

Also the basement of the Water Cistern is down right disturbing. Seriously, stop paying attention to only the overt. TP had maybe the right colors (sad, depressing and boring) and the right look (realistic) but beyond that it's really subpar and uninspired.
God damn this. Everything you've said sums everything I think about the Silent Realms and TP. As for the Water Cistern, I'd classify it as the best Water Temple in any Zelda game. The boss fight is down right amazing as well. It's probably my favorite temple of any Zelda game period.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Personally I found areas like the dark parts of Arbiter's Grounds a lot creepier than the basement of Ancient Cistern.
Ancient Cistern was an amazing dungeon. Easily one of the best in the series.

That brings up a good topic: What are your favorite LoZ dungeons (not including the bosses)?

Mine are, in no particular order:
Great Bay Temple MM
Stone Tower MM
Forest Temple OoT
Hyrule Castle TP
Ancient Cistern SS
Ice Cavern OoT
Misery Mire ALttP
Snow Peak Ruins TP
Lakebed Temple TP
Sandship SS
Gargoyle's Domain aka Thieve's Town ALttP
Face Shrine LA

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Dude...don't be toon link
Sorry, I just got a little excited was all......
*cough*

Anyway my top five Zelda games, in order, have to be

1. Skyward Sword
2.ALBW
3.MM
4.OoT
5.Spirit Tracks

Then it would go ALTTP, Link's Awakening and the Oracle Series

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452

Honestly, the Silent Realms are one of the things I most look forward to when I watch someone else play Skyward Sword. For extra effect, I try to make them play in the dark to maximize the tension and fear factor. >D

And it's proven to be extremely satisfying to watch. You end up feeling helpless yourself when you don't have the controller and you just have to trust the person you're watching, and that's just awesome.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping Zelda Wii U mixes the polish of the "A Link" games with the sense of an epic, grand, large scale adventure of Twilight Princess. Add in an open world worth exploring and you got a GOAT tier game here.

I don't know what I love more though, Smash or Zelda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom