• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I'm somewhat stuck in my Brawl mind set where every character had some stupid advantage we needed to overcome.
Every time I meet a Dedede, I still think "OH GOD NO DON'T LET HIM GRAB ME HE'LL CHAINGR-- Wait, no he won't!" It's a great relief.

Speaking of Smash, how are tourney results faring for Link so far? I've been hoping to catch some vids. Nairo had some for Zelda from a couple of tournies, and I thought, "Well, if Zelda is getting a little rep, surely Link is."
You can find videos of BrimeZ during Xanadu Smash, and BrimeZ and KirinBlaze during KTAR XI, at the video thread.

Speaking of tournaments, I have a tournament on the 16th of January, a smashfest the 17th and 18th, and another tournament the 31th -- can't wait!

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Aren't we supposed to be getting that Twilight Princess costume DLC pack sometime this month (if we haven't already lol). Oh and what do you guys think of Twili Midna being playable, or rather, how you feel about her move-set?

As for Zelda in Hyrule Warriors, definitely like the Rapier the most so far. The Baton/Windwaker feels a bit slow... I'm not really sure how to use it properly yet. And I recently got the Dominion Rod, which seems kinda gimmicky but fun. Where the hell did Zelda get a Dominion Rod anyway? Thought that was Link's stuff. Oh wait, she stole Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, and Farore's Wind anyway for Smash :p

Speaking of Smash, how are tourney results faring for Link so far? I've been hoping to catch some vids. Nairo had some for Zelda from a couple of tournies, and I thought, "Well, if Zelda is getting a little rep, surely Link is."
Took some time to reply because I had to get on the shuttle. Currently omw to Orlando. Got 4 hours of bus ride, yay...

Anyways, I live her rapier and it's all I use. I haven't played much adventure tbh; it's too grindy for me already and I find myself getting very bored very fast. Maybe if the game play wasn't as repetitive or was more challenging I'd play more.

About Link on tourneys, it's been alright. But as Shin has said, people are still sleeping on Link due to our Brawl fame, and sadly we don't have a big name like Nairo suddenly taking an interest on us. I do think that thanks to the extraordinary work of some mains like BrimeZ and Kirin people are starting to realize what Link's capable of this time around. I've say give it some time, allow the meta to evolve more and people will be dreading facing a Link rather than see it as a free win.

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
Wow it's great that you decided to jump on the bandwagon now that Link isn't absolute bottom tier. How noble of you. You'll definitely get some good training on this board, just try not to be too much of a tier ***** while you're here.

Welcome to the Water Temple.
Being a DeDeDe main means I'm a tier *****? Did I miss the memo on DeDeDe being top tier in this game?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I haven't watched many major tournaments like APEX or MLG, but how does the schedule go? Pools on one day and top 64 the next?

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Scizor was pretty big in there for a time, anything happen to him?

Also
Being a DeDeDe main means I'm a tier *****? Did I miss the memo on DeDeDe being top tier in this game?
Nah, he just means Link is not going to be super good, so if you want to win you'll have to work harder than the average top 8 at any tournament.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I believe he means on you deciding to go with Link because you win with him rather because you like the char more than being a D3 main. Anyways, welcome and you can start your education by reading the stickies and the rules. We have quite the tough love, we'll troll and flame you until you stop feeling pain kind of approach to things, so I hope you're not the easily offended type. Just keep in mind that nothing is really personal.

Also, Link is a character that requires a lot of work to yield good results, so I hope you enjoy busting yourself. Though being Street fighter players (though not sure on your skill level on that game) already means that you are the working type.

You may have missed where he welcomed you to the water temple. As Ele already said, the Link Boards thrive on calling one another out just as Cyner did there. You're going to need to be able to deal with that sort of treatment here, it's just how we do things here. Call it 'board culture'.

Also he, as Ele again beat me to saying, that you've only picked Link up as a second now that he isn't garbage tier, and in response to doing well with him.

You're gonna want your iron boots and the Goron tunic here.

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
I believe he means on you deciding to go with Link because you win with him rather because you like the char more than being a D3 main. Anyways, welcome and you can start your education by reading the stickies and the rules. We have quite the tough love, we'll troll and flame you until you stop feeling pain kind of approach to things, so I hope you're not the easily offended type. Just keep in mind that nothing is really personal.

Also, Link is a character that requires a lot of work to yield good results, so I hope you enjoy busting yourself. Though being Street fighter players (though not sure on your skill level on that game) already means that you are the working type.
I main Zangief and T. Hawk on Super Turbo, Hugo/Sean on Third Strike, Dan on numerous games. I'm used to the low tier struggle. Hell, I've played Link on every Smash. Not going to stop now.

I guess I should have clarified. I play who I do well with, which in this case, has been DeDeDe and Link. Tried numerous others but those seem to be the ONLY characters I can win with. I'm not worried about being the best, as I work like 50-60 hours a week. I won't be playing offline more than likely.

But yeah, I generally play all the characters I like personality wise and go from there. The ones I do best with out of that list I main/secondary.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
My dad was an old time SF2 player. Taught me how to do the Hadoken, and once I got good at doing the attack, I started applying it and learning other moves. My fighting skills escalated from there. In SFIV, I'm applying frame traps, cross-cancels, mix-ups, and FADC into Ultras with Ryu, Rufus, Chun-Li, and Dan (my mains).
Man, I've come a long way from losing all my quarters at Marvel vs. Capcom...

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I main Zangief and T. Hawk on Super Turbo, Hugo/Sean on Third Strike, Dan on numerous games. I'm used to the low tier struggle. Hell, I've played Link on every Smash. Not going to stop now.
Then you are in the right place. Just suit up with your Gordon Tunic and don't mind the flames nor trolls. We have of both to spare. Again though, read the stickies, specially the rules and metagame/guide, those are good places to start learning about Link. We Link mains have a saying: Do Work. We expect people to work and not to expect others to spoon feed them.

Hong

The Strongest
Trolls are like the national animal of the Link forum. Eventually you just learn to appreciate their majesty. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Trolls are like the national animal of the Link forum. Eventually you just learn to appreciate their majesty. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
You get it Hong.

It's like Cyner said once,and I'll paraphrase as best as I can.

"Link mains, jaded and bitter as we are, are a stark contrast to the fresh faced optimistic portrayal of Link in his games. This is because we represent what Link becomes at the end result of countless adventures".

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
All the fun in this thread always happens after I go to bed. :urg:
Rewatching Death:Note and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, planning to rewatch Watamote.
Finished Log Horizon S1 and Yuru Yuri not long ago, still waiting for D.Grayman to finish... and looking forward to more videogame adaptations.

Loved Nabari No Ou, Haruhi Suzumiya, Angel Beats, Clannad, DBZ, Persona 4, Devil is a part timer, serial experiments lain, cowboy bebop, FMA '03, this list could go on for a long time... I've loved pretty much every anime I've seen thus far.

#weeaboo badge earned?
Ah Zane, perfect timing. I just finished Full Metal Alchemist. Loved the anime, wasn't super crazy about the ending. I definitely want to read the manga and watch brotherhood because I've heard the ending is much better. Questions is, which should I do first?

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
All the fun in this thread always happens after I go to bed. :urg:

Ah Zane, perfect timing. I just finished Full Metal Alchemist. Loved the anime, wasn't super crazy about the ending. I definitely want to read the manga and watch brotherhood because I've heard the ending is much better. Questions is, which should I do first?
I've read the manga and watched the anime. Brotherhood glosses over a couple of story arcs that the manga had. FMA Non Brotherhood covered one of them (the train robbery episode, that was a golden episode too). Besides that, Brotherhood remains very faithful to the manga, so it really doesn't matter which one you view first. Both are amazing. I read the manga first, but that's just my style.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
In the most recent tier list, he's been dumped in the E tier. Not sure why. I personally think he deserves be in S tier, because I main him. :awesome:
We need to wait for the meta game to evolve more before an official tier list comes out, but I can see him moving into the top 15 characters.
Japan is weird lol, they have Marth even lower than Link for some reason, and Link lower than Toon Link?

Personally, I don't really care about what tier Link is in. I play him because he's fun to play. But I can see him as a high mid or even better with customs.

Also, what other games do you guys play here besides Smash Bros? Any Call of Duty or Pokemon players?

Last edited:
Well, well, this is an unexpected development. A mod from outside our board who understands our culture. I guess not every surprise is a bad one, after all.

@ ama99 ama99 I play pokemon, though I haven't gotten the most recent release. I was a badass at DPP, and haven't had the same time to devote to the metagame since.

Other than Smash I've played SC, SC2, and LoL to varying degrees as far as competitive games go.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It's pretty dense for people to write off Link just because of his reputation. Not only did he, in my opinion, come out of the gate well in Smash 4 based on my own initial impression, but he has a lot of technology that I think will evolve well with the game.
Also, what other games do you guys play here besides Smash Bros? Any Call of Duty or Pokemon players?
As far as competitive games go, just Smash (primarily 64 and Melee) and Team Fortress 2.

I play a looooooooot of life sim and RPG stuff. Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing... that sort of thing. I have a reputation on this forum for Fire Emblem, and it's an image that is on its mark, having played all thirteen games excessively. Also have a thing for super fast-paced classic puzzle games like Panel de Pon.

Goes without saying that I am a fan of the Legend of Zelda series, being here (though I kind of also just like Link in Smash, as I main him in 64). I have mixed feelings about the 3d era, but I'm all over the 2d era stuff. Link to the Past, Adventure of Link, and Link's Awakening being my top three. Just couldn't get enough of that stuff growing up, and I can still go back to any of those three games and see them through with light in my eyes.

I have a reputation on this forum for Fire Emblem, and it's an image that is on its mark, having played all thirteen games excessively.
I have a friend who did this, going so far as to buy one online that is normally only accessible in Japan, or something. He tells me that certain aspects of the more obscure entries in the series can be described as "having your junk completely removed with a power sander", to paraphrase.

Goes without saying that I am a fan of the Legend of Zelda series, being here (though I kind of also just like Link in Smash, as I main him in 64). I have mixed feelings about the 3d era, but I'm all over the 2d era stuff. Link to the Past, Adventure of Link, and Link's Awakening being my top three. Just couldn't get enough of that stuff growing up, and I can still go back to any of those three games and see them through with light in my eyes.
Maining Link in 64 is a hard time. I did it. I won't go back to doing it.

As for 2D v.s. 3D, I love both, and I'm glad both are still being made. They have a different flavour. My absolute favourites seem to be 3D games, but the 2D games also rarely score as low for me as, for example, Twilight Princess did.

Hong

The Strongest
I have a friend who did this, going so far as to buy one online that is normally only accessible in Japan, or something. He tells me that certain aspects of the more obscure entries in the series can be described as "having your junk completely removed with a power sander", to paraphrase.
Thracia 776, one of the most coveted entries in the series, is one of those games with a lot of "fake difficulty", where knowledge of something that would be otherwise nonsensical can take away a lot of its difficulty. Still pretty brutal, though. Probably talking about that one.
Maining Link in 64 is a hard time. I did it. I won't go back to doing it.
For better or for worse, my main sparring partner mains Falcon. Something about enduring the gruellingly punishing MU for years has moulded me.

The whole thing with Link is he is one of the "worst" characters in 64, but everyone in that game is so damned good. With how punishing the game can be, in a sense, it was the best shape he was in, compared to Melee and Brawl. No way would I ever want to touch vanilla Link with the fast pace of Melee, for instance.

Rizen

Smash Legend
And they're smarter than the av-er-reach troll. They'll swipe your pic-a-nic basket :surprised:

Yeah there's a lot of Link haters who don't understand the unique playstyle.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Hong Hong why not come back home and start maining Link in sm4sh? You know it's not only right, but necessary. You feel the calling.

Last edited:
The whole thing with Link is he is one of the "worst" characters in 64, but everyone in that game is so damned good. With how punishing the game can be, in a sense, it was the best shape he was in, compared to Melee and Brawl. No way would I ever want to touch vanilla Link with the fast pace of Melee, for instance.
If smash4 hadn't been released, and I'd been asked to main Link in one game, I would've picked melee, honestly. While it's true with melee to a degree, a single badly timed rang catch in 64 can just end your entire existence. I honestly felt like I had an easier time in Brawl than 64, despite the similar "one grab and you lose a stock" set up Link went through. I mean, at least he had an autocancelling Zair.

Also, this:
@ Hong Hong why not come back home and start mailing Link in sm4sh? You know it's not only right, but necessary. You feel the calling.
Embrace the part of you that is a horrible person. Become one of us.

This proves you're suited:
For better or for worse, my main sparring partner mains Falcon. Something about enduring the gruellingly punishing MU for years has moulded me..

Edit: And stay out of my shed.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong why not come back home and start maining Link in sm4sh? You know it's not only right, but necessary. You feel the calling.
So it would have been if Robin never happened, which is everything I could ask for in a character.

They are characters with different tools, but have a lot of similar match-ups. Of course they have their own areas where they still have their strengths, like Link being better at the projectile game and Robin having better vertical KOs, but overall I felt a lot of overlap with looking at my match-up spread.

I say this because I am a pretty competitive-minded player and try to focus on getting good with characters with distinct advantages for the greatest chance of success in a set. I already have a character pretty good at zoning, with a nice disjointed hitbox, and projectiles to control the pace of a match, so I compliment her with characters that excel in different areas.

If I ever do play Link (something I certainly consider), it's because Robin has hit a wall in the meta, though that hasn't happened yet and I am not the sort to give up easy. Or it could just be if Robin stops being fun, because that's pretty important, too. We'll see.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
So it would have been if Robin never happened, which is everything I could ask for in a character.

They are characters with different tools, but have a lot of similar match-ups. Of course they have their own areas where they still have their strengths, like Link being better at the projectile game and Robin having better vertical KOs, but overall I felt a lot of overlap with looking at my match-up spread.

I say this because I am a pretty competitive-minded player and try to focus on getting good with characters with distinct advantages for the greatest chance of success in a set. I already have a character pretty good at zoning, with a nice disjointed hitbox, and projectiles to control the pace of a match, so I compliment her with characters that excel in different areas.

If I ever do play Link (something I certainly consider), it's because Robin has hit a wall in the meta, though that hasn't happened yet and I am not the sort to give up easy. Or it could just be if Robin stops being fun, because that's pretty important, too. We'll see.
Dang Hong... Plays Melee, enjoys Link, loves Fire Emblem, mains Robin, and understands Link main culture... feel free to stick around.

I play Melee more than anything, got a tourney coming up this weekend. I do main Link(and Samus) in that game, imo it's his best showing. I surprise high tiers all over the place because I've been brutalized by all the top tier players around me. I main Link and Samus in every game since 64, but Smash4 made me add Robin to my list. Robin is too much fun.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
I've always been a character loyalist whether it be Smash or Street Fighter. If I wanted to win I'd pick the character that would gain me the win but if I wanted to play and have fun... while also winning, I'd pick my favorite. I always choose favorite over winning because I'm hard headed like that.

And if anyone was curious as who I main in Street Fighter, it's my girl Chun-Li.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
From seeing all the scrubs posting on the Link Boards complaining about how "two stronk" he is, I'm pretty sure Link's god tier now.

I think Link finally replaced his Master Sword's batteries.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've mained Link in every smash game. But I do thing learning as many characters as you can is a good idea. It really strengthens your knowledge of the game all around.

Hong

The Strongest
For me, it's not the character, but the fighter.

That is, I am after a particular play style. One that will offer me the most fun play experience. In the case of fighters, I like zoning. I don't like close-quarters, especially the agile types. I take the character of the sort I like, weigh the options, find which is the most fun and roll with them. Whether they are good or not is partially relevant; sometimes the good characters have more options that remain valid at a high level of play, like Samus in Melee and missile cancelling or her amazing wavedash.

After that, I like to get something completely different. First and foremost, for variety. Secondly, for the best chance of success in a set. Typically it's some kind of heavyweight that has to get in, the complete opposite from the primary character. This is even better in Smash Bros than other games because, even if Bowser was an awful character in Melee, no one really knows how to deal with him. I see similar success with Charizard in Smash 4.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
From seeing all the scrubs posting on the Link Boards complaining about how "two stronk" he is, I'm pretty sure Link's god tier now.

I think Link finally replaced his Master Sword's batteries.
Last night I played with a bunch of people. Everyone was like "Link is the new Fox". Granted, we were playing 8 player smash, so I can't justify whether that's true or not.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Granted, we were playing 8 player smash, so I can't justify whether that's true or not.
8 player smash - because I didn't need to know where I was in that fight anyways. haha
Mostly kidding, though it's really the only time I can lose myself nowadays on the map.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have and always will main Link in every smash; however, he's not my usual type which leads to him not being my best char according to my offline friends. I am a very aggressive, melee, heavy in combos, in you face kind of guy. Zoning, baiting, waiting, camping, and spamming are not natural in me so it take great effort to play at my best with characters like this, which happens to be Link. Why do I main him then? Because he's freaking Link. As I said, I have and always will main Link, even if his playstile is completely contra Natura to me. That's what we have alts for.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I have and always will main Link in every smash; however, he's bit my usual type which leads to him not being my best char according to my offline friends. I am a very aggressive, melee, heavy in combos, in you face kind of guy. Zoning, baiting, waiting, camping, and spamming are not natural in me to it take great effort to play at my best with characters like this, which happen to be Link. Why do I main him then? Because he's freaking Link. As I said, I have and always will main Link, even if his plausible is completely contra Natura to me. That's what we have alts for.
Same exact way, I don't spam his projectiles. I use then to keep pressure but I certainly don't rely on them. I'm aggressive with Link, short hopping into n-air, f-tilting clumsy rollers, dash attacking unexpecting poor souls. I even go off stage and swing at the air a bunch of times tI'll I get the kill.

Link's more than viable without spamming his projectiles the whole game. His close game viability was what was wrong with Link in Brawl in the first place... that's what furthered his need to be a zoner in the meta. I feel that's not the case finally. (Note that I barely zoned in Brawl either lol)

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Right. A big misconception around Brawl Link is that he was a camping character. Really Link was all about zoning/spacing.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Same exact way, I don't spam his projectiles. I use then to keep pressure but I certainly don't rely on them. I'm aggressive with Link, short hopping into n-air, f-tilting clumsy rollers, dash attacking unexpecting poor souls. I even go off stage and swing at the air a bunch of times tI'll I get the kill.

Link's more than viable without spamming his projectiles the whole game. His close game viability was what was wrong with Link in Brawl in the first place... that's what furthered his need to be a zoner in the meta. I feel that's not the case finally. (Note that I barely zoned in Brawl either lol)
I'm exactly like that. My spam game with Link is super weak, so I struggle a lot vs other spam chars since Link isn't fast enough to approach as I would with my other alts. My melee is a lot more spot on though, so it's a good thing that Link's melee has been by buffed and now not only does it have nice combos, but it has the same KO power. I like using the projectiles for some spacing but more than anything to create pressure and an opening for me to rush in and start a combo.

^Right. A big misconception around Brawl Link is that he was a camping character. Really Link was all about zoning/spacing.
This a thousand times.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
8 player smash - because I didn't need to know where I was in that fight anyways. haha
Mostly kidding, though it's really the only time I can lose myself nowadays on the map.
Yea, that happened a lot. It was still a ton of fun though, and the stages are pretty cool.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm exactly like that. My spam game with Link is super weak, so I struggle a lot vs other spam chars since Link isn't fast enough to approach as I would with my other alts. My melee is a lot more spot on though, so it's a good thing that Link's melee has been by buffed and now not only does it have nice combos, but it has the same KO power. I like using the projectiles for some spacing but more than anything to create pressure and an opening for me to rush in and start a combo.

This a thousand times.
Exactly what I do!

I fought a zoner Link the other night and completely destroyed him. And I feel like Gay mains don't even stand a chance against me anymore (also from experience).

If Link gets Fox status so be it. As long as Link overcomes Gay I'm a happy camper (not literally).

Last edited:
Top Bottom