• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Just began watching the direct. Wow Raiden has become a total weeb in recent games.
Edit, finished. I'm sure everyone's already said this but, Bayonetta is top tier.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So, I can't access smash 4 at this point because I don't have enough space on my wii-u for the one game. I can't update and without an update I'm cut off. Brilliant. "Hey, do you remember the good old days when you could buy a console, buy a shelf full of games, and never think twice about whether you had enough memory on the ****ing console? Yeah, me too."

Just so I don't go out and waste money on a solution that fails for some reason or other, what is the best course of action here?

I have a 1TB Touro external harddrive, but it already has data on it, and according to the nintendo website, "External USB storage devices exclusively formatted for Wii U cannot be used to store any other content." so **** me.

Something tells me that even if I went out and bought a black wii-u, the smash 4 disk I own currently will take issue with being used on another wii-u. Is this true? And then what happens to all the DLC I got up to this point?
I'm also hesitant to go out and buy one of the recommended external harddrives http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/la...general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage because for all I know they may slow down performance or something, even slightly, which when you're playing a fighting game is kind of a big deal.

This whole thing is just a big hassle and I don't know what to do. Somebody bail me out please and point me in the right direction, preferably someone who has overcome this problem themselves.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So, I can't access smash 4 at this point because I don't have enough space on my wii-u for the one game. I can't update and without an update I'm cut off. Brilliant. "Hey, do you remember the good old days when you could buy a console, buy a shelf full of games, and never think twice about whether you had enough memory on the ****ing console? Yeah, me too."

Just so I don't go out and waste money on a solution that fails for some reason or other, what is the best course of action here?

I have a 1TB Touro external harddrive, but it already has data on it, and according to the nintendo website, "External USB storage devices exclusively formatted for Wii U cannot be used to store any other content." so **** me.

Something tells me that even if I went out and bought a black wii-u, the smash 4 disk I own currently will take issue with being used on another wii-u. Is this true? And then what happens to all the DLC I got up to this point?
I'm also hesitant to go out and buy one of the recommended external harddrives http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/la...general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage because for all I know they may slow down performance or something, even slightly, which when you're playing a fighting game is kind of a big deal.

This whole thing is just a big hassle and I don't know what to do. Somebody bail me out please and point me in the right direction, preferably someone who has overcome this problem themselves.
I suggest buying the external hard-drive then moving data other than ssb4 stuff to it. Keep all the smash stuff on the console.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I suggest buying the external hard-drive then moving data other than ssb4 stuff to it. Keep all the smash stuff on the console.
The only thing I've ever done with my wii-u is put smash 4 on it, get the updates as they came out, and get the dlc characters. There is no other data. I don't understand why I've run out of space.

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217

The disc will have no issue being used on other consoles. Though, you will have to repurchase anything you bought on the eshop, including DLC.

As for the hard drive slowing the game down, I hardly see that as a problem. The only thing that I think a slower hard drive will effect Sm4sh is longer loading times, but that's it (honestly, most hard drives out there are faster than the majority of disc readers anyway). I've never ever heard of Sm4sh slowing down because it was installed on an external drive.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I got some great wifi games in vs someone who was better than me but close enough I could learn and keep up. I'll have a few replays later. :)
What do you guys think of the Wario MU? I didn't know how to fight him and had a rough time. I'll have a replay for critiques.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
What do you guys think of the Wario MU? I didn't know how to fight him and had a rough time. I'll have a replay for critiques.
pretty even

also bomb > fair can kill hard now at higher %, holy ****.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman

Do you have Smash digitally or something (doesn't sound like it based on your comments of a disk)? If not, I have no idea how your hard drive is already filled with just Smash (Smash digitally is huge btw, like 22GB). Keep in mind if you have downloadable titles or something, you can delete them now and redownload them later for free (while keeping the small save files on disk).

Go into data management on the Wii U and see what's taking all of the space.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Do you have Smash digitally or something (doesn't sound like it based on your comments of a disk)? If not, I have no idea how your hard drive is already filled with just Smash (Smash digitally is huge btw, like 22GB). Keep in mind if you have downloadable titles or something, you can delete them now and redownload them later for free (while keeping the small save files on disk).

Go into data management on the Wii U and see what's taking all of the space.
The Wii U data management is weird. It shows that if I un-download Smash 4, I'll get 1,700 MB's of memory back. Where's the rest of the 6 GB of memory I was promised though? I've un-downloaded almost everything except MK 8, which if un-downloaded, gives me 530 MB's of space back.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The nicest things about Cloud are the stage, which has one of the nicest OMega backgrounds and an old favorite track, I forgot that battle theme it's nice to rediscover it after so long. Funnest thing with Cloud is that you can cancel Down B immidieately, also out of a dash, which is useful because it means you can almost instantly standing grab out of a dash, bypassing the laggy dash grab. I played some teams with a Cloud and it was hella fun, his real potential may be there, as ANTi pointed out.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Does anyone else feel that Cloud totally outclasses Link? I got that sense when playing against Clouds today.

He does pretty much everything that we do better. Faster in both planes, better projectile, vastly superior air game, faster attacks, less end lag, and he gets limit powers to boot.

I'm hoping Link gets some needed buffs before its all said and done, but as of now Link is a much worse choice than before.
Well first off, Cloud's single, laggy as hell projectile is no where near as good as any of our multiple projectiles besides maybe the obvious damage output from the limit break version. We can still keep him out fairly well, and he certainly can't out-zone Link by any means lol. Anyway, it's too early to say what beats what or who is better. Look at what happened with Roy and Little Mac for example. They were extremely overrated in their earlier days. Wait for Cloud's meta to develop a bit, then we can talk about this kinda stuff.

Can't wait to download Cloud though. He definitely seems pretty darn good.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
I was playing against Cloud a bunch in FG today, and it felt to me like I was getting zoned out by his projectile a whole bunch. He can throw out a lot of them at a time, and the hitbox is large so they are hard to jump over. It was like whenever I would go for a bomb pull or rang, Cloud would beat me to it with his projectile's better framedata and I wouldn't have time to respond, like the case is with Falco's lasers.

It was also as if the cloud players got a bunch of free limit attacks on me, as Link isn't quite fast enough to stop him in time. The charge is also shield cancellable, so my projectiles weren't any use. That, combined with Cloud's attacks feeling like they are comboing me a lot better than what I could do to him, are my concerns about the Cloud v. Link matchup.

Pretty much every other person is playing Cloud right now, so we will be able to get a bunch of experience against him. I'm looking forward to what the regulars have to say on the subject.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
About half of them were still beating me soundly, at least the ones I was playing seemed pretty darn good. I beat the other half, but it was always close. What have your experiences fighting Cloud been so far?

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
I can see why Corrin was put in over Wolf, but really would Wolf have taken so much effort to put in- for a fan favorite veteran character? Bayonetta looks awesome, though it'll be less awesome to play against her.

Last edited:

Deekodut

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrpepper1616
The nicest things about Cloud are the stage, which has one of the nicest OMega backgrounds and an old favorite track, I forgot that battle theme it's nice to rediscover it after so long. Funnest thing with Cloud is that you can cancel Down B immidieately, also out of a dash, which is useful because it means you can almost instantly standing grab out of a dash, bypassing the laggy dash grab. I played some teams with a Cloud and it was hella fun, his real potential may be there, as ANTi pointed out.
The stage is great, just wish there was more music. So much potential. No one winged angel? Come on. That's the classic track.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Does anyone by chance have any advice on how to successfully land Link's Uair?

I feel that I could be getting many more kos than I am at present if I could connect with the move, but it feels like threading a needle with Link's slow airspeed and the small hitbox. As with Fair, I can probably count on two hands the number of times I have successfully gotten kills with the move. Is it a matter of anticipation or something? Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Does anyone else feel that Cloud totally outclasses Link? I got that sense when playing against Clouds today.

He does pretty much everything that we do better. Faster in both planes, better projectile, vastly superior air game, faster attacks, less end lag, and he gets limit powers to boot.

I'm hoping Link gets some needed buffs before its all said and done, but as of now Link is a much worse choice than before.
I was playing against Cloud a bunch in FG today, and it felt to me like I was getting zoned out by his projectile a whole bunch. He can throw out a lot of them at a time, and the hitbox is large so they are hard to jump over. It was like whenever I would go for a bomb pull or rang, Cloud would beat me to it with his projectile's better framedata and I wouldn't have time to respond, like the case is with Falco's lasers.

It was also as if the cloud players got a bunch of free limit attacks on me, as Link isn't quite fast enough to stop him in time. The charge is also shield cancellable, so my projectiles weren't any use. That, combined with Cloud's attacks feeling like they are comboing me a lot better than what I could do to him, are my concerns about the Cloud v. Link matchup.
lol'd hard, get good

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does anyone by chance have any advice on how to successfully land Link's Uair?

I feel that I could be getting many more kos than I am at present if I could connect with the move, but it feels like threading a needle with Link's slow airspeed and the small hitbox. As with Fair, I can probably count on two hands the number of times I have successfully gotten kills with the move. Is it a matter of anticipation or something? Any help is much appreciated!
I'm guessing you're treating Link as too much of a rush-down character when you should be thinking in terms of zoning.

For Uair, it outlasts airdodges and has great disjoint so you want to use it as a punishing move/platform poke. It can be used after Dthrow. I do it a few times here at 2:11 :
https://youtu.be/GDt6dzvAdKc?t=131
You can also try to bait dodges with bombs. Uair beats most characters' moves from below so if you read a Bowser bomb or something, Uair is a good option.

Fair starts slow but it's strong, cuts 2 times and has low landing lag. You want to space it from the tip and it's usually safe vs shields. I think of it as a walling off move. If the opponent's in the air they'll have a hard time getting past both hits of Fair. From a SH it can punish dodges and hop over things like jab and hit with the second cut. You usually need to drift backward to keep optimal spacing. It's great for zoning but you need to be smart and plan ahead because the slow start.
Fair also can be used as a combo after Dtilt and Bombs.

That's my 2 cents.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice

Hey Fox, I have the same issue. I have the basic 8GB wii U, which currently only has smash 4 on it, but still there's not enough memory for the update. I tried using a 32 GB USB since they are relatively cheap (and since I'm not planning on buying many more games anyway, besides zelda wii u when that is released) But after formatiing it for the wii U I still couldn't write data to it. I think it might be write protected. I googled how this could have happened and the general consesus is that USB sticks are a bad fit for the wii U (If anyone has personal experiences that show otherwise, please share.) So the only solution so far seems to buy a HDD with its own power source as those are recommended by nintendo:

What external USB storage devices can be used with Wii U?
  • What external USB storage devices can be used with Wii U? To ensure maximum performance between your Wii U and an external storage device, we recommend using a hard-disc drive (HDD) with a dedicated power source (i.e., using an A/C adapter). Due to the wide range of external hard drives, usability and performance will vary. For more information on external USB storage devices that can be used with Wii U, click here.

Unfortunately, those are all quite expensive, and if you're like me, well I can use all the cash I have already, so yeah. If anyone has a better solution, please let us know.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I am also having lots of trouble against cloud. I posted stuff on the mewtwo boards as well. Anyway, it feels like everything I play gets outclassed, outplayed, and utterly obliterated by him. Mewtwo, link, pit, and even the fox I don't use stood no chance and its only day 2. What could I counter pick against him?

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
I am also having lots of trouble against cloud. I posted stuff on the mewtwo boards as well. Anyway, it feels like everything I play gets outclassed, outplayed, and utterly obliterated by him. Mewtwo, link, pit, and even the fox I don't use stood no chance and its only day 2. What could I counter pick against him?
getting good

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
SO... after a long hiatus I'm finally back to activity in my local scene. I attended a tournament this Tuesday the 16th and was pleasantly surprised, and I have tournament experience against Cloud. I'll post my thoughts in a Link v Cloud MU thread if we have one, but for now I would say Link has the advantage.

I forgot how much fun I had playing this game in a tournament atmosphere. Why did I wait this long?
There are two weekly series that occur in my scene distance, so while I may start out kinda slowly I'll be going to a bunch of tournaments very soon. This is a pretty tough scene, so I can't promise anything mind blowing, but I got 17th thus far. I'm gonna do my best to rank top 10 for the DFW PR.

P.S. I hate the D-air change... with a passion, but I'll trade it for the F-air, F-smash and D-smash buffs. The last two things Link needs are a faster N-air and better air movement.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
P.S. I hate the D-air change... with a passion, but I'll trade it for the F-air, F-smash and D-smash buffs. The last two things Link needs are a faster N-air and better air movement.
Lol why? Isn't not getting a dair spike on a grounded opponent overall better?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Learn the MU first before you pick a different character for the sake of countering him.

Zane the pure Zane the pure Welcome back dude, it's definitely been a while. Mind if I borrow that Hyperbolic Do Work Chamber tho?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey Fox, I have the same issue. I have the basic 8GB wii U, which currently only has smash 4 on it, but still there's not enough memory for the update. I tried using a 32 GB USB since they are relatively cheap (and since I'm not planning on buying many more games anyway, besides zelda wii u when that is released) But after formatiing it for the wii U I still couldn't write data to it. I think it might be write protected. I googled how this could have happened and the general consesus is that USB sticks are a bad fit for the wii U (If anyone has personal experiences that show otherwise, please share.) So the only solution so far seems to buy a HDD with its own power source as those are recommended by nintendo:

What external USB storage devices can be used with Wii U?
  • What external USB storage devices can be used with Wii U? To ensure maximum performance between your Wii U and an external storage device, we recommend using a hard-disc drive (HDD) with a dedicated power source (i.e., using an A/C adapter). Due to the wide range of external hard drives, usability and performance will vary. For more information on external USB storage devices that can be used with Wii U, click here.

Unfortunately, those are all quite expensive, and if you're like me, well I can use all the cash I have already, so yeah. If anyone has a better solution, please let us know.
I've pretty much decided at this point to just get a black wii-u then do a system transfer. http://en-americas-support.nintendo...o-transfer-content-between-two-wii-u-consoles

Top Bottom