• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We don't hate fictional characters, we hate gay. That's all.
Nicknaming Toon Link "Gay" is a whole nother slew of problems dude.

Can we all not do that?

Wait, someone actually mains Mewtwo more than a month after his release?
You people main Link after eight? :troll:

I keed. I keed.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
you know it's a really stupid joke to begin with, i only like people saying it because it pisses off the right people

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
lol we don't hate them our mod is actually their mod too and he basically dual mains link and TL

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They hate us we hate them. Have you read the book Outsiders.
Yeah.

People died for petty reasons.

It deconstructs that hatred and shows it to be bad.

Did you read the book?

Regardless, why not be the bigger man and turn the other cheek?

Besides Toon Link's fake. It's not like we are insulting someone real.
There's quite a bit of venom in it.

I don't like venom.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They? There's no they, it's a fictional character. I don't think you get it; there's only one Link. That's why he's freaking Link. Going TL is not going Link. That's what it's all about.
But Toon Link is Link.

I am Link.

You are Link.

We are all Linked.

Cause I hate "it" just as much as they do.
I'm pretty sure most of the people there don't hate anyone.

If they do it may be because of this toxicity.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
The problem with TL mains is that all the BIGGEST!11!!1!1 LoZ fans who LOVEEEED LINK!11!! then decided to main TL instead because he was far better. It's pretty sad when some of our best like Cacogen and Anaky switch to TL: he has some of the things they like about Link but is a far more competent character. That's the sad cop-out. He isn't the Link, you know?

But wth I don't care about this stupid character loyalty crap

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 I've got em, and I'm letting them record while I eat dinner. I was at work from 6am until 4pm yesterday and today so I hadn't gotten around to them yet. But rest assured they will be uploading before the night is through. And in the future I think a pm would suffice just a tad easier than posting here, oughta save you some unwanted criticism too. The replay thread as Zelkam mentioned is also a pretty good avenue, but PMs get my attention the quickest.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei Gay has been gay since long before you joined the boards at all. It's not going anywhere. Best you can do is ignore it if it bothers you in any way. Anyways, why should it bother you? And it really doesn't go against boards rules. Unless, I don't know, you somehow consider that being Toon Link is somehow wrong, and that it's an insult. Either way, we're not actually using it to purposefully insult any one. Not that saying Gay is an insult.

Or is it?

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
They must be dealt with.
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei Gay has been gay since long before you joined the boards at all. It's not going anywhere. Best you can do is ignore it if it bothers you in any way. Anyways, why should it bother you? And it really doesn't go against boards rules. Unless, I don't know, you somehow consider that being Toon Link is somehow wrong, and that it's an insult. Either way, we're not actually using it to purposefully insult any one. Not that saying Gay is an insult.

Or is it?
The world may never know.

Link from wind waker is Link.
that is not Link. That's how I see it.

Cause this could be seen as Link if looked the wrong way

I don't know how my brother sees this as teenage Link.

This is just my opinion. no need for salt or rage.

Last edited:

sasook

Smash Champion
This is about as serious as Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner apologizing for insulting Black Widow's character.

Last edited:

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
So wait what exactly is the argument here? Is it about the term "Gay"? Is it about who "they" are and why "they" hate us? Is it about who is Fox's main? Is it about TL? I'm honestly confused over this argument of one liners.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
This is about as serious as Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner apologizing for insulting Black Widow's character.
No, it's about as serious as people literally getting offended over...

Black Widow getting emotional over the fact that she can't have kids.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
No, it's about as serious as people literally getting offended over...

Black Widow getting emotional over the fact that she can't have kids.
actually its about as serious as people trying to create problems where there are none and...
misinterpreting black widow calling herself a monster for all the people she's killed as black widow calling herself a monster because she can't have kids

Lozjam

Smash Champion
But Toon Link is Link.

I am Link.

You are Link.

We are all Linked.

I'm pretty sure most of the people there don't hate anyone.

If they do it may be because of this toxicity.
No you are incorrect.
Link is the fearless hero who sought to fought me and other incarnations of Demise. Became the hero of Time, Winds, Dreams, and saved countless lands. Link sought to defeat me, and he did it with style, maturity, and careful consideration. He is the various forms of the Spirit of the Hero, and tied in a never ending war with Demise's curse. He comes in many different timelines, forms, and ages, yet his spirit remains the same. He brought an end to nightmare, Ganondorf, Ganon, Malludus, Bellum, Onyx, Majora, Veran, and faced countless evils. He controls the Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Pan Flute, Bongos, Guitar, Horns, and can create magic out of music....
Link is not Gay.... Gay is Gay
Gay is merely a shell, a coward who hides behind projectiles, filled with only fear of dying. He is Toon Link, and not afraid to show it.... In a very terrible way as well. I have some close friends that are Toon Link, but Gay just takes it to an extreme.
Gay is a worthless character, who is objectively terrible as a character. He runs away, goes and plays, he spams, and turns to his cowardice. He is not Link. He is an abomination that needs to meet his grave much like the equally terrible CDI Link.

He isn't even worth the dirt on my boots, of which I step on Gay merely for that reason.

Nicknaming Toon Link "Gay" is a whole nother slew of problems dude.

Can we all not do that?

You people main Link after eight? :troll:

I keed. I keed.
This simply isn't likely to happen.
The world may never know.

Link from wind waker is Link.

Gay is not Link. That's how I see it.

Cause this could be seen as gay if looked the wrong way

I don't know how my brother sees this as Gay
You're not one of us, and you will not be the one who speaks for us when an outsider questions our ways.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'm honestly surprised it took so long for someone to bring up the whole "Saying the word 'Gay' is offensive" thing. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I know it won't change but I think it would be more effective to use actual applicable adjectives (and alliteration apparently) as alternate nicknames for TL.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
No you are incorrect.
Link is the fearless hero who sought to fought me and other incarnations of Demise. Became the hero of Time, Winds, Dreams, and saved countless lands. Link sought to defeat me, and he did it with style, maturity, and careful consideration. He is the various forms of the Spirit of the Hero, and tied in a never ending war with Demise's curse. He comes in many different timelines, forms, and ages, yet his spirit remains the same. He brought an end to nightmare, Ganondorf, Ganon, Malludus, Bellum, Onyx, Majora, Veran, and faced countless evils. He controls the Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Pan Flute, Bongos, Guitar, Horns, and can create magic out of music....
Link is not Gay.... Gay is Gay
Gay is merely a shell, a coward who hides behind projectiles, filled with only fear of dying. He is Toon Link, and not afraid to show it.... In a very terrible way as well. I have some close friends that are Toon Link, but Gay just takes it to an extreme.
Gay is a worthless character, who is objectively terrible as a character. He runs away, goes and plays, he spams, and turns to his cowardice. He is not Link. He is an abomination that needs to meet his grave much like the equally terrible CDI Link.

He isn't even worth the dirt on my boots, of which I step on Gay merely for that reason.
Your back!

This simply isn't likely to happen.

You're not one of us, and you will not be the one who speaks for us when an outsider questions our ways.
Yes I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It's our fault that we hate him? That makes no sense.

I'd say it's his fault for existing.
Well, it was you guys who got salty for people changing to Toon Link over Link. not that I am blaming you. I have my far share of Hate Towards Smash Toon Link (Note: I am referring to Smash Toon Link, not Toon/Wind Waker Link character.) for being the reason most people think why Young Link won't come back. It annoys me greatly!

Eww Captain Falcon. I've recently started hating playing CF more than Gay. (I still hate Gay as a character, but it's not like he's terribly hard to fight against) He's hard to punish, stupid fast and strong, his aerials are unnecessarily powerful, and recovering against him is dumb as hell. (can't tether, can't up-b??) Not to mention, lag captain falcon is godlike (little endlag = no endlag when there is input lag) so practicing online just makes me salty. I probably just need more mu experience. But until then, I'll keep hating fighting him.
Aw, don't be hating the Falcon. not his fault his so magnificent :4falcon:.

Seriously, I can understand were you are coming from and I can see why you are complaining.
so in the meantime let's nerf Link >:|
And Greninja

This justifies it.... how?
The whole history of Christianity.

I'm honestly surprised it took so long for someone to bring up the whole "Saying the word 'Gay' is offensive" thing. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I know it won't change but I think it would be more effective to use actual applicable adjectives (and alliteration apparently) as alternate nicknames for TL.
I'm going to be honest, I was there at the inception of this little tradition and even then I thought the word we chose was stupid, but it's not about the word we chose or what that might mean, it's about a bunch of jaded and tired Link mains being real sick of people jumping ship and acting like they didn't just because the character they jumped too wears the same silly hat.

It was a really .... Busy time for the Link Mains, what with the exodus, so fine details had to be ignored, but now it's tradition, and it is what it is.

Yes I am.

**** double posted.
Posting on the same board as us does not make you one of us, you and I both know why you'll never be welcome here.

So, no, you are not.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I always call him TL.

How the whole "He's freakin' Link" thing started was in Brawl some troll would always come to the Link forums and say "why play Link; TL's the better Link" and the Link mains would respond: "because he's freakin' Link!" Ironically Wolf played the closest to Link and TL played closer to G&W. Link's always been a bad character but we used him anyway and that peeves tier w****s. They never get the logic of using a character because he's awesome and who we want to play. It's easier to say "he's freakin' Link" than argue with brick walls.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I hope Gay gets hit with the nerf stick so that he finally gets to feel what it's like to live under an inferior shadow.
But Toon Link has already hit the nerf hammer pretty hard in Smash 4. Seriously, it kind of sucks now. It makes me sad :(.

I always call him TL.

How the whole "He's freakin' Link" thing started was in Brawl some troll would always come to the Link forums and say "why play Link; TL's the better Link" and the Link mains would respond: "because he's freakin' Link!" Ironically Wolf played the closest to Link and TL played closer to G&W. Link's always been a bad character but we used him anyway and that peeves tier w****s. They never get the logic of using a character because he's awesome and who we want to play. It's easier to say "he's freakin' Link" than argue with brick walls.
I never knew that before. Interesting.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Gay is a waste of space and possibly a detriment to Link's character in general. Because gay is supposed to be "the more agile Link", that gave Sakurai less of a reason to buff Link's mobility and thus possibly made him worse. Sm4sh Link for a fact is amazing with better air and ground speed. You can see this for yourselves with equipment.

It's why I really wanted Young Link to replace him in this game since he has much less potential to be a clone than toon Link. Imagine those mask transormations and Fierce Deity as his final smash. I'm pretty sure we all wanted that. But no, they decided to go with Toon Link again and make no additional changes to his move set at all. Hell, they even made him worse than Link. Not only that, but because Gay is playable it's very unlikely if not impossible for Young Link to be DLC, as there are already two playable Links. Talk about a waste of space, right?

Who am I kidding, though? They probably would've made Young Link a clone again anyhow with the logic Sakurai has. Just look at poor Dark Pit and Lucina. They could've been more unique and interesting, but instead Sakurai decided to make their move sets carbon f#cking copies of the originals. If they're the way they are because of time constraints, then why couldn't they have just released them later on as DLC? What the hell are you thinking, Sakurai? It's terribly unfortunate that he doesn't even understand Smash as well as it's fans do, dispite creating the damn game. It really is.

Rant over.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Gay is a waste of space and possibly a detriment to Link's character in general. Because gay is supposed to be "the more agile Link", that gave Sakurai less of a reason to buff Link's mobility and thus possibly made him worse. Sm4sh Link for a fact is amazing with better air and ground speed. You can see this for yourselves with equipment.

It's why I really wanted Young Link to replace him in this game since he has much less potential to be a clone than toon Link. Imagine those mask transormations and Fierce Deity as his final smash. I'm pretty sure we all wanted that. But no, they decided to go with Toon Link again and make no additional changes to his move set at all. Hell, they even made him worse than Link. Not only that, but because Gay is playable it's very unlikely if not impossible for Young Link to be DLC, as there are already two playable Links. Talk about a waste of space, right?
You are not lying about his air speed. Toon Link's air speed is barely any better than Link's, only about a .0.06 difference.

Out of everyone, this para right here is absolutely spot on and is what makes me hate Toon Link. I mean, people just think because he was a clone in Melee and that Toon Link is alreadyy here, that means he has no chance of getting back into Smash Bros? What that hell?!

Who am I kidding, though? They probably would've made Young Link a clone again anyhow with the logic Sakurai has. Just look at poor Dark Pit and Lucina. They could've been more unique and interesting, but instead Sakurai decided to make their move sets carbon f#cking copies of the originals. If they're the way they are because of time constraints, then why couldn't they have just released them later on as DLC? What the hell are you thinking, Sakurai? It's terribly unfortunate that he doesn't even understand Smash as well as it's fans do, dispite creating the damn game. It really is.

Rant over.
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with that section some what, because as Sakurai has stated, these Characters where only added at the very end of the games development as an add on bonus, as they were intended to just be alts. Now, you may think 'well since they aren't so different from the originals, why didn't stay as alts?' that might be because (mostly with Lucina) they are such different characters. I mean, could you really imagine Lucina having a Tipper effect like Marth? I sure couldn't. though I do wish they made them just a bit more different (i.e. maybe give Lucina faster moves but less power).

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You are not lying about his air speed. Toon Link's air speed is barely any better than Link's, only about a .0.06 difference.

Out of everyone, this para right here is absolutely spot on and is what makes me hate Toon Link. I mean, people just think because he was a clone in Melee and that Toon Link is alreadyy here, that means he has no chance of getting back into Smash Bros? What that hell?!

Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with that section some what, because as Sakurai has stated, these Characters where only added at the very end of the games development as an add on bonus, as they were intended to just be alts. Now, you may think 'well since they aren't so different from the originals, why didn't stay as alts?' that might be because (mostly with Lucina) they are such different characters. I mean, could you really imagine Lucina having a Tipper effect like Marth? I sure couldn't. though I do wish they made them just a bit more different (i.e. maybe give Lucina faster moves but less power).
Then they should've stayed as alts or not be in the game at all. That was a stupid idea and a waste of money on Sakurai's part.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Rant over.
I agree with everything you said. The fact is that Gay is just a complete waste of space since the Brawl days. If you are going to replace Young Link with someone who is basically him, why remove Young Link at all. In Melee, both Link & Young Link were Ocarina Link so it was pointless to have both. In Brawl, it was Twilight Princess Link. Young Link in Brawl would have been better and made more sense than putting Gay in.

And the fact that Gay being in Smash, hinders Link's ability to improve on mobility is just absolute bull****. Remember Link's air speed in Melee? It was the sixth highest in the game! Imagine how Link would be if he had his Melee air speed. But in Brawl AND in this game, Gay is more mobile then Link on both ground and air. And again, they thought Link losing his IASA on his Jab is a good idea, yet Gay still has his......

I just hate the fact that Gay is part of Smash as a playable character. He is a complete waste of space and literally anyone could have been a better addition to the roster, and in all honesty, his inclusion severely limited newcomers from the Zelda series into making it in Smash. I mean think about, take heart in knowing that Gay made it in Smash as a playable character, yet characters like Ghirahim, Zant, Midna, Vaati, Impa & Skull Kid didn't. There is no reason as to why he should be in Smash as he adds nothing to the roster and is the cloniest of the semi-clones. He goes against everything Sakurai stood for in Brawl, and he does so here as well.

.....rant done.....

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
The thing that makes the separate slots okay IMO is I'm glad to have 8 colors for Lucina (referencing the other females from waifu emblem), and a separate voice for Dark pit (even though he is a why bother char)
I do think it's a waste of space in the game's data seeing as all three are considered inferior to the original in a competitive environment, but it's fairly obvious to me that the decision to include them was made concerning casual aspects of the game.

USF4 has like 7 versions of Shoto (not counting chars that play similarly to shotos) and they have more variance than the clones in this game... Ryu, Ken, Dan, Akuma, Gouken, Evil Ryu, and Oni all play differently enough to justify having variants (even if Evil ryu is the best tourneywise)

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Aside from all the Gay hate, I've come up with a few really fun mini-games which can be played in Sm4sh.

#1: Smash Volley
1. Both teams must do whatever it takes to prevent each other from getting the sandbag to fall off of their end of the stage. This includes KOing opponents.

2. 1 point is given to the team that successfully gets the sandbag to fall off of the opposing team's end of the stage. This is how you score.

3. If someone in an opposing team in any way hits the sandbag before it dissappears off their end of the stage, then the other team does not recieve the point. This is called a "gimp save". Influencing the sandbag with wind boxes offstage still counts as a gimp save.

5. Gimp saves will only count of the person that "saves" the sandbag recovers successfully.

6. KOing your opponents don't count as anything.

7. There can be 1v1s.

8. Omegas and neutral stages are recommended.

9. You can pass the sandbag to a mate in any way that works.

10. There can be a time limit that is set to your liking. To determine the winning side, either whoever gets to a chosen number of scores first or has the most scores at the end of the game is the victor.

11. There are a couple of ways to play Smash Volly.

- For 1v1s and teams of 2 to 3 players, you can use Wire Frame Mack as the sandbag. The only time he is ever played is when positioning him in center-stage between rounds if necessary.

- For 1v1s, you can use the online waiting stage to play Smash Volley. The sandbag's damage returns to 0 after some time and you can't grab it at all, so be aware of that. There's also the convenience of having it not grab the ledge when falling offstage.

#2: Smash Man Hunt
1. Either Amiibos or human players will be playing as "the hunted", while both of them including CPUs can play as the hunters.

2. The hunted's role is to fight back against the hunters and survive for as long as possible. If there are more than one of the hunted, they can either play together as a team or fend for themselves. They will all have the same team color.

3. The hunters can either play as one team, or can compete against one another as multiple individuals. They must choose the same team color if they are to work together and must all have different team colors if they are working individually. There is a minimum of 2 hunters.

4. If there is one team of hunters, then if they kill all of the hunted before time's up, they win. If there are multiple individual hunters, then whoever kills the most or 1 hunted player first wins. Ties will be common if there are more than one hunted.

5. If the hunted last until time's up or kill all of the hunters, they win.

6. Individual hunters can kill other competing hunters, but it won't count as anything besides getting them out of the way and out of the game.

7. The rules will always be set to 1 stock with a chosen time limit.

8. It is preferred that very large stages like Palutana's Temple and Hyrule Temple are used to give the hunted a fighting chance at survival. You can use large custom stages as well.

9. Team attack can be on or off depending on preference.

10. Points gained by hunters don't matter if the hunted win the game.

#3: Run For Dear Life
The rules are the same as Smash Man Hunt, only that;

1. The hunted will get a huge handicap, forcing them to run away for dear life (as the title implies).

2. When playing individually, the hunters can steal kills from other hunters by killing them. Remember, points gained by the hunters won't matter if the hunted win the game.

3. The hunter's main objective is to run down and kill the hunted before time is up.

I had a lot of fun playing Smash Volley with my friend, so maybe you guys might like them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom