• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I'm a lowly peasant who doesn't even own a 3DS lol I stopped caring about handhelds since the PSP or DS (whichever one came last). I was scared when I first heard about Smash on 3DS because I thought it was only on 3DS.:facepalm: I don't know... I guess I kinda just grew out of them. I liked being able to play games on the toilet or in bed before going to sleep at 3AM to wake up for school at 6AM, but I always enjoyed console games much more.

It's like what happened to me and Pokemon. I don't even know what Pokemon game is coming out anymore. I lost track of all the colors. I tried playing the old gameboy ones on my phone but I get bored of them. It's kinda sad considering Pokemon was my favorite Gameboy series of all time up until the end of the DS games. Still super hyped about Charizard though.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm a lowly peasant who doesn't even own a 3DS lol I stopped caring about handhelds since the PSP or DS (whichever one came last). I was scared when I first heard about Smash on 3DS because I thought it was only on 3DS.:facepalm: I don't know... I guess I kinda just grew out of them. I liked being able to play games on the toilet or in bed before going to sleep at 3AM to wake up for school at 6AM, but I always enjoyed console games much more.
I still game on handhelds (I own a GBA SP, a DS Lite, a 3DS, and a PSP-1000 (fat)), though not as often as consoles, which, as of this post, I have more games for.

I stated in an earlier post that my Smash 4 version of choice will be Wii U, and that's because I've always preferred playing fighting and other multiplayer games on consoles over handhelds. Why, you ask? Because with consoles, I have always found it easier to play locally with nearby friends and family. I normally don't expect others to have their own handhelds and their own copies of the game in their possessions. It's easier for me to have one console, one copy, and 2-4 controllers. Yes, you can also play online with distant friends, family, and strangers, but those servers won't last forever, and lasting appeal is important to me. For example, Mario Kart DS's servers are closed for good, and I don't care much for that game's single-player content.

D

Deleted member

uhhh, can we talk about how sick link's dair is now? i miss dair's killing strength, but styling on kids with the dair's spike is so sick

D

Deleted member

uhhh, can we talk about how sick link's dair is now? i miss dair's killing strength, but styling on kids with the dair's spike is so sick
I'm sure I'll enjoy using his down-air.

Actually, from what I've seen of Smash 4 Link in general, he might be my #1 main for the first time in an official game since Smash 64.

I'll have to give Shulk some practice as well. Because of his various Monado arts, he looks more like a thinking Smasher's character, which makes sense if you played Xenoblade and and understood its combat system.

Okay, you can call me the "Shulk nerd" of the Link social thread, assuming that none of my fellow Bronados have posted here at least once. Go ahead and call me "King Bronado" all you want. I'm looking forward to the new Zelda as much as the next person, but I can't help but be equally excited for Xenoblade X.

Speaking of which, I'm curious of your opinions on the art styles of both games (remember to keep it civil). I was indifferent at first, but then they grew on me over time. I imagine myself replaying these games ten years from now and still being at least somewhat impressed by the visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I am okay with the Zelda U style but I wish it was like the Wii U demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHNcSMXaBk
I'm glad it's not Toon style at least.

The Xenoblade game looks really cool. I like the realistic but over-the-top take on the monsters and environment. I dislike how the faces look doll-like but it's a minor complaint.

If Link didn't get the recovery buff the Dair spike wouldn't be as good but since he did get buffed, Link's offstage game looks wicked. I think Link has huge gimping potential.

Edit, I found a few gameplay mechanics for those who are unaware:
higher damage means more knock back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPxLLaL4N8
Vectoring instead of DI:
http://smashboards.com/threads/vectoring-the-replacement-to-directional-influence-in-smash-4.368780/
Good watch/read.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
One of the best Link mains out there, definitely. Good job Scizor.

I've been watching twitch too. 95% of the people who have randomly decided to use Link have made the comment "Wow, Link's really good!" Makes me real excited to know that people are going to fear Link players!

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Im really afraid of Link this time around.

I fought a link in For Glory that absolutely tore me a new asshole with all the projectile spam and kill power he has.
I'm so glad Link is good now.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Im really afraid of Link this time around.

I fought a link in For Glory that absolutely tore me a new ******* with all the projectile spam and kill power he has.
I'm so glad Link is good now.
was the name of the guy letmiiwin? cuz i abuse his arrows by sniping and boomarang.

indeed link is good he can out camp Duck hunt(so called top tier) thanks to his arrows and boomerang, his arrows can actually flip te explosive can the other way meaning it wilk go the opposite direction.

He's definitely a good character and best camper in the game due to his amazing tilts and arrows.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I still don't call Link's projectile game "spamming" because it actually takes skill to do in the first place, and even more skill to actually make something come out of their use. Also, each projectile has specific functions and behaviors and are NOT solely for damage-racking (and are actually a terrible tool for said damage-racking). And no, the same cannot be said for every other projectile.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
^^^
This. Completely.

The best thing about Link's projectiles is that they serve way more purposes than any other character with projectiles. Yes, you can spam arrows for edge guarding and racking damage but you can use bombs and take advantage of bomb jumps and setting up air combos after throwing them at someone. Then you can use boomerangs to stop enemies or pull them into you to set up for a nice combo or smash attack.

His projectiles have MANY uses. It makes him really scary during sudden death.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Got Smash 4 yesterday. I'm having so much fun. Unlocked the magic boomerang for Link - having so much more fun! BECAUSE SCREW GALE!

TL is fun as well, Zelda I'm getting used to. Robin is fun too. Can't decide on a main to really concentrate on.....

I see what's wrong with that statement since I've played Link my whole life, so the effort to really play him is minimal, so I should really be focusing on my other mains. 1stworldgamerproblems.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
...so I should really be focusing on my other mains. 1stworldgamerproblems.
Reel Feelz, bruh. Reel feelz.

I'm secretly hoping that Link's buffs will play into my style perfectly as though I've just been playing Smash4 Link this whole time and THAT's why I'm terrible at Brawl. xD

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sometimes I use generic terms like camping and spamming to make explanations more simple but Link, at least in Brawl, didn't truly do those. He always was supporting spacing and frame trapping. Link's entire game is spacing and improvising.
I'm glad in SSB4 Link has the stats to be good because he always had good tools; Zair, bombs, 3 projectiles that work together, landing canceling, these were all really great tools. Some people were talking about how Link should have new moves for SSB4 before it came out but then he wouldn't have been Link.

I'm jealous of the 3DS people right now; I only have a wii U. :cry:

Did anyone get Hyrule Warriors? After all the Smash stuff people seem to have forgotten about it.

Edit, the Wii U version is officially launching on November 21st.
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I could cry, it's 5th december in europe...

But well!
New here, and Link is since the amazing changes I noticed, one of my go-to choices as a new main.
And I still have to wait for Hyrule Warriors... but gonna get it as soon as possible.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
It's bittersweet for me.

If ii tried my damnest, I could play both Link and Toon well in Brawl.
Now Link is great, but I just can't play Toon. They did something to him,and I'm really not feeling it.

On a happier note,
-Fierce Deity costume
-Electric Spin Attack
-Ripping Boomerang
-Meteor Bomb
-Stronk Arrow

I love custom moves.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I hate 'em.
Nothing against this great addition, but custom moves means also stat increasing things, which also means someone can play super super strong characters, and just spamm one attack.

On the other hand, I really appreachiate Link's custom moves.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's bittersweet for me.

If ii tried my damnest, I could play both Link and Toon well in Brawl.
Now Link is great, but I just can't play Toon. They did something to him,and I'm really not feeling it.
After playing Toon alot for fun in PM, he's carried over quite well in Smash4. The only problem I have is I am so used to TL in PM that I forget I can't do crazy **** in SMash 4 like I do in PM. Other than that, I have almost the same basic control over him like I do in PM. I can't complain. Link is my problem child right now sadly. He feels a little clanky. I'm still going to play him, but I just need to figure him out some. Along with Zelda and Robin. Hmmm... I wonder what the TLs are going in there thread. brb.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm thinking of funny signatures to advertise my youtube channel. Something like:

Things to do when bored:
A Binge drink in a dark room.
B Write threatening letters to your ex and/or the white house.
C Burn things.
D Watch gaming guides, let's plays and reviews on Deus Ex Machina.

Make the healthy choice ;)

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I hate 'em.
Nothing against this great addition, but custom moves means also stat increasing things, which also means someone can play super super strong characters, and just spamm one attack.

On the other hand, I really appreachiate Link's custom moves.
Custom moves don't work that way. You don't need to change their stats or anything. They're just separate moves that you can use.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Custom moves don't work that way. You don't need to change their stats or anything. They're just separate moves that you can use.
But they "allow" stat increasing items used alongside them. Or is there a mode where you can only allow custom moves, without allowing these items?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
But they "allow" stat increasing items used alongside them. Or is there a mode where you can only allow custom moves, without allowing these items?
That's correct. Though I wouldn't call it a mode. Custom moves have nothing to do with equipment and stats. Equipment/stats affect the whole character.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I know that, it's just exactly because of these stat's I'm annoyed. If we could enable only custom moves without lunatics who are giving a lucario 100 strength boosts or effects like consistant healing while evading...

That would be great.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^There probably is a way to only have the custom moves but IDK; I don't have the game yet.

I called a cab at 8AM to pick me up at 9:15AM for a 9:30 thing. It is now 9:53 and it hasn't arrived yet. Ain't life grand?
Edit I canceled the ride at 10. And my computer solitaire had "no available moves" when I was waiting. :urg:

Last edited:

DeCOY.0

Banned via Warnings
I won't be getting the WiiU version most likely, but I can't wait for it to come out to see what tricks you guys come up with, while using that elite gamecube controller. The 3ds version of the game is so good, and Link is just so playable. I do "ok" with some of the other characters, but anytime I find a challenge, I always do best with Link (or Little Mac if I just need that easy computer killer). I think you guys will find that there really isn't anyone YET that is a total Link killer.

Edit: Just so nobody thinks I'm trolling, this is CostLow. I really just don't know which account to stick with. Any input?

Last edited:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You can turn on/off cutom move characters at the battle screen. There's a little wrent on the top right you can click. Though my fear is the BR will banhammer all custom sets except for a few characters because they don't want to do the work of reviewing them all. And we all know what happens when the BR makes something official, or APEX.... it become law or gospel.... whatever. Imo, custom movesets are the best thing to happen to smash and would allow some awesome things to happen. Hate to say, but I'd think even if custom moves were allowed, meteor bombs would get banned. :(

tbh, meteor bomb has its own benefits and shortfalls. Lack of kockback or hitstun in normal use, but hell, get your opponent off stage and land one, and whew! One less stock. Imo, a fair item.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I haven't unlocked this bomb yet, are their videos of it?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Probably. If there are, they are few and far between. I unlocked it last night and gave it a try. It's ok. I feel like I could warm up to it, but I like my bombs to have knock back and hitstun.

I wonder if Link gets bomb arrows in Smash4? I'd abuse the crap out of that if he did. lol.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I like the needle arrow (or whatever it's called) because it is so freakin' fast and still has some knock back to it.

Edit: Uhh... can I get some advice about my account? I had that DeCOYY.0 account before I made this one, but I no longer have the e-mail address associated with it. So, I made this account with my new e-mail address, right before I remembered my password for the DeCOY.0 account. Now I have two accounts and clearly only need one as I'm only one person, so do I stick with the old account or the new one?

Last edited:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think it's the piercing arrow? Idr. I know there's one that goes through your opponent. I know it has no knockback or hitstun. I can see its use if you are fighting a projectile user and want to chip away a them, other than that, I like my hero's bow.

Rizen

Smash Legend
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization
This calls it quick fire bow but I'm not sure how official anything is for names.

@Decoy/Costlow you should go with the name you like best. Ask a mod to close the other account though since duplicates aren't allowed.

Anyone play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I'm trying to solo the clashing fists DLC Brachydios but it keeps timing me out. It has a god-like amount of health.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2LJfZ6H9g

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization
This calls it quick fire bow but I'm not sure how official anything is for names.

@Decoy/Costlow you should go with the name you like best. Ask a mod to close the other account though since duplicates aren't allowed.

Anyone play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I'm trying to solo the clashing fists DLC Brachydios but it keeps timing me out. It has a god-like amount of health.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2LJfZ6H9g
I thought everyone stopped playing that game lol

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'm Gunlance user, but I'd never try Super brachy without atleast another friend coming with me.

Also, super stygian zinorge is insane I gotta say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom