• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Serac

Smash Cadet
Got back a while ago from a 14 man Melee Tourney. Placed 5th. Played on stream a couple times.
With Link.
Congratulations.

Huggles828 said:
Heading to this on the 18th. Supposed to have several top players like Reflex, Player-1, and Scatt going too, iirc. It's time to head to the big stage!
Good luck and have fun. Do you know if this is gonna be streamed?.

Since a week I haven't played Smash, so today I went for glory and played with another Link player, in one of our matches we went from 0% to 7X% because we were jabbing each other at the same time and neither of us wanted to desist. Had a fun time.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
To lose a Link, or win.. a slave
Thy choice is most ignobly brave!

Not as if he'd win from Player-1 anyhow. It could always be helpful againt future Diddys -- who aren't extremely good.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sakuria-chan~
pls nerf Diddy-sama!

*cherry blossoms*

:093:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sakuria-chan~
pls nerf Diddy-sama!

*cherry blossoms*

Oh god Cam, why do you do this to me?

Also, I have a friend who is trying to learn Sonic and I'm failing at teaching him since I know crap about Sonic. Got any tips or links he may check?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Also, I have a friend who is trying to learn Sonic and I'm failing at teaching him since I know crap about Sonic. Got any tips or links he may check?
Make him watch Staticmanny, and let him 'accidently' click his Link matches instead.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh god Cam, why do you do this to me?
2kawaii2live2sugoi2die
Also, I have a friend who is trying to learn Sonic and I'm failing at teaching him since I know crap about Sonic. Got any tips
Yo, I'm the mod of Sonic boards. Just send him there lol. I have an extensive guide/FAQ thread and Sonic Orochi has a moveset thread. Probably the best places for information.

Also, self-promotion, I've been doing videos on Sonic's flashier advanced techniques so like comment subscribe ya know what im sayin

He can look up matches from people like 6wx, Seagull, Manny, Espy... Myself. I have some tournament matches on my channel too, coincidentally one of which being 6wx. I also have matches against Keitaro and Angel's Diddy and like, who doesn't want knowledge in that match-up amirite?
or links he may check?
hey you're the link guy bub hehehehe

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Hey guys my tournament Is going actually pretty well! I won # battles first against a duck hunt dog, then A marth which he was not really all that hard and again Zero suit samus is just no problem for some reason. There are at least 24 entry's and there are a lot of top tier characters but I'm not that scared (a little bit). @ Zane the pure Zane the pure I do shake peoples hand and people say they are shocked that I am the ONLY Link how they say I'm really good and that feels nice. I do listen to ehpixa's Zelda dubstep and some attack on titan music. @ FSK FSK thank you for the video. My only thing is that I am scared to lose and that is what I think keeps me playing like at my best. My next round is against a fox and I will give him some work! For my first tournament the feeling is exiting and really competitive and I like that.Any ways wish me luck. :4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link:

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Warning Received
Hey guys my tournament Is going actually pretty well! I won # battles first against a duck hunt dog, then A marth which he was not really all that hard and again Zero suit samus is just no problem for some reason. There are at least 24 entry's and there are a lot of top tier characters but I'm not that scared (a little bit). @ Zane the pure Zane the pure I do shake peoples hand and people say they are shocked that I am the ONLY Link how they say I'm really good and that feels nice. I do listen to ehpixa's Zelda dubstep and some attack on titan music. @ FSK FSK thank you for the video. My only thing is that I am scared to lose and that is what I think keeps me playing like at my best. My next round is against a fox and I will give him some work! For my first tournament the feeling is exiting and really competitive and I like that.Any ways wish me luck. :4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link:
Off to train before the match. This is for the Link community! bye guys!

and i accidentally double post again.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Camalange Camalange by links I meant url links, not the character. Also, I told him to go on smashboards but he doesn't want to seem like a scrub since he doesn't even know our terminology (like dtilt, sh, etc). Anyways, I'll give him those links and try to send him on your way. Thanks.

And I know you're the mod, that's why I asked you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
@ Camalange Camalange by links I meant url links, not the character.
I was being fun-E.
Also, I told him to go on smashboards but he doesn't want to seem like a scrub since he doesn't even know our terminology (like dtilt, sh, etc). Anyways, I'll give him those links and try to send him on your way. Thanks.
He doesn't have to like, post or anything. Just tell him to lurk. That's how I started. I just played a lot and lived on Smashboards. Other than that, all I do is practice or occasionally watch matches (I honestly don't even do much of that anymore...)
Just let me be sassy, damn it. >_>

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
@ Camalange Camalange by links I meant url links, not the character. Also, I told him to go on smashboards but he doesn't want to seem like a scrub since he doesn't even know our terminology (like dtilt, sh, etc). Anyways, I'll give him those links and try to send him on your way. Thanks.

No need for all that sonic AT mumbo jumbo. Just teach him how to tech-chase dthrows into new dthrows. Then when opponent is at KO percents he can Fsmash off a dthrow tech-chase. And most importantly to taunt ferociously whenever he gets a KO. He could use this web-page for tech-chase practice:

http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I actually lurked around for about 3-4 months (mostly in the Melee discussions), before joining actually. I knew nothing about the terminology until I read up on it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
No need for all that sonic AT mumbo jumbo. Just teach him how to tech-chase dthrows into new dthrows. Then when opponent is at KO percents he can Fsmash off a dthrow tech-chase. And most importantly to taunt ferociously whenever he gets a KO. He could use this web-page for tech-chase practice:

http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/
what no please

Maybe in Brawl...

Uthrow is so much better for guaranteed damage, set-ups, and frame traps. At low percents and mid percents, you should basically only be using Uthrow. Dthrow tech chasing isn't that great honestly. You have to know how your opponent is going to react, so proper conditioning is required. Like, some people will tech the Dthrow and those people you can't do it to altogether... The first Dthrow is ALWAYS a test of your opponent's knowledge. So yeah, it can have reward, but it requires risk and is reserved for the proper reads and downloads of your opponent.

My favorite are the people who are dumb and don't tech it, but let it go the distance and then do a late tech roll away. That's by far the easiest read/punish set-up. Free grab or Usmash.

Dthrow now is better for stage positioning or if you're by the ledge to get them offstage, as it sends them at a bad angle for recovering.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I actually taught him, or was working on teaching him, about zoning, spacing, Reading, tech chasing, pivots, and showed him some basic combos, like uthrow to unit, to fair, or uthrowto to upB fair. Anyways, as much as I could remember. I couldn't teach him how to recover with specials consistently though. That's where @ Camalange Camalange comes in.

And I have given him the links already. He hopes to be somewhat decent by the tourney I'm hosting in month.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Yeah Cam, :4sonic: turns his nose up at what :4ganondorf: lives for: Reads.
Why risk not having any return on an investment when you've got several garuntees right?
D-throw at the ledge if you don't have the positioning for a B-throw off the side at kill%, so you can still pester with springs and bait airdodges with B-air.

If :4link: had any guaranteed setups off of any throw, he'd be able to seal kills much more easily. Even though the speed of Grab is terribad (so bad you can react to it) it's great for punishing landings after someones spent their DJ. I'm gonna go off on a limb and say Link has one of the single worst grab games in Sm4sh. Outside of D-throw baiting airdodges with U-tilt (or pivot F-tilt against FF'ers) and U-throw killing at 160ish % on most, they're all pretty awful. Already lacking good "get offa me" defensive options like decent OoS options (SHORYUKEN) or good enough movement speed to retreat, it'd be nice to atleast have a good grab game to make up for it.

People can complain about getting walled out by Link for a bit, but he can't hold them off forever, and his options in a clinch are kinda bad. I think the one thing I've gotten the most mileage out of is PS drop-shield Jab1 to option select. Conditioning makes Jab1 an interesting situation since 1.it'd be great for tickgrabs were it not for how ass his grabspeed is... nevertheless Link can shield if the opponent tries to N-air out of the disconnect and Shieldgrab to punish most aerials. 2. U-smash can occasionally be confirmed off of it. 3. If the opponent jumps out Link can setup for another grab on characters that aren't likely to Up-B out safely (I.E. :4pikachu:)

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah Cam, :4sonic: turns his nose up at what :4ganondorf: lives for: Reads.
Why risk not having any return on an investment when you've got several garuntees right?
D-throw at the ledge if you don't have the positioning for a B-throw off the side at kill%, so you can still pester with springs and bait airdodges with B-air.
I mean... Don't get me wrong. I make hard ass reads and that's a part of being a good player.

My point is that it's not a staple, though. It's exactly that... Just reads. You have to know how to condition your opponent to create those situations. So yeah, I wouldn't say Dthrow tech chase as a staple, because it's honestly not that good, especially in a game where multiple characters combo out of Dthrow. Sonic combos out of Uthrow. Take the free damage AND the better stage position. Seriously. Being below someone in this game is so advantageous. Camping landings is like, this game's entire meta. So with that said, in most situations, would you rather Uthrow, get your combo and free damage, and stage control for more follow-ups, or are you going to Dthrow, possibly get no follow-ups, and just reset neutral?

Also, my slogan for Ganon is #5READS

That's all he needs.

Too bad Ganon is still bad though.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I mean... Don't get me wrong. I make hard *** reads and that's a part of being a good player.
Nah no worries bro, no way a good player passes up on free damage, we cool...

Also, my slogan for Ganon is #5READS
That's all he needs.
Too bad Ganon is still bad though.
Once got a guy with this string of reads at a local smashfest: Flame choke-punish getup attack with D-air, Flame choke combos out of it, punish back roll with another Flame Choke, punish delayed getup with D-tilt, chase landing with Flame choke, read getup attack with Warlock punch, controller spirit bomb achieved. :4ganondorf:=:troll:

I always love playing Smash with alternate music (no offense to the lovely composers for Smashbros) and seeing as Link was present for the game in question (and the title is fitting for a Link main...)
I posit this lovely piece as good training music:
Eternal Struggle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owAoNGDn9I

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
So after a long day of probably some of the most fun and most competitive day of smash yet, I was taken out at the semi-finals by a really awesome Bowser .JR. I made it in 4th place and received a Ike amiibo as prize.One dude that I fought said that he did not expect to see a link and did not train against one cause he said he is slow. This tournament taught me a bunch about how to change my approaches and how to pressure and even how to set up a better wall. Thank you guys who gave me advise on how to act in a tournament! yes I received some salt, but I think I did a good job for my first tournament.

Link is a beast and I don't plan on switching him no matter how high tier a character is!:4link::4link::4link:

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, a friend (the sonic one) and I are thinking about buying some recording equipment to record the matches from the tourney.

Any recommendations? Which ones are, in order the three best?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, I told him to go on smashboards but he doesn't want to seem like a scrub since he doesn't even know our terminology (like dtilt, sh, etc). Anyways, I'll give him those links and try to send him on your way. Thanks.
You know, there's a certain thread I made that would help him out here. It even has all the Sonic terminology as well as nice and simple explanations for the techs they represent written by yours truly.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
So, a friend (the sonic one) and I are thinking about buying some recording equipment to record the matches from the tourney.

Any recommendations? Which ones are, in order the three best?
Go for elgato

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree with link7.

What's up everyone? Great metagame thread work!

BTW do you know when the Xenoblade Chronicles X game for wii u is coming out?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I hear this one is really good.
http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60/dp/B00MIQ40JQ

Here's a vid. that compares the Elgato HD to the older model Elgato.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdxhqtTGUM8

If I had the cash, I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Awesome, thanks. It's arriving next Friday and then I'll be testing it out. Hopefully we can even stream the tourney with some comments (in Spanish of course). Would anyone be willing to watch the matches I stream to check if it works or not and such?

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Awesome, thanks. It's arriving next Friday and then I'll be testing it out. Hopefully we can even stream the tourney with some comments (in Spanish of course). Would anyone be willing to watch the matches I stream to check if it works or not and such?
When is the tourney, and what time will it be occurring? I'll gladly watch it if I can.

GabePR

Smash Rookie
I'll watch it too if I'm home at the time and I'll actually understand because I'm from Puerto Rico and we speak Spanish here.

FSK

Smash Ace
Everyone is talking about future DLC stages and characters and music.....

I just want them to fix the GC-controls.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
When is the tourney, and what time will it be occurring? I'll gladly watch it if I can.
The tourney is the 9th and 10th of May, but I want to test the streaming before, next Saturday. So if anyone is free I'd appreciate some help in testing out the connection. By the way, so far it seems that we'll have 100 participants in this edition of Nouyons (my tournament). Largest to date. I'm pretty hyped.

Also, @ FSK FSK , it'd be nice if they the game, not just the controls.

D

Deleted member

BTW do you know when the Xenoblade Chronicles X game for wii u is coming out?
It's coming out on April 29, 2015 in Japan, but no release date has been announced for anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
The tourney is the 9th and 10th of May, but I want to test the streaming before, next Saturday. So if anyone is free I'd appreciate some help in testing out the connection. By the way, so far it seems that we'll have 100 participants in this edition of Nouyons (my tournament). Largest to date. I'm pretty hyped.

Also, @ FSK FSK , it'd be nice if they the game, not just the controls.
I'll see what I can do. Time Zones will be weird, it's 9:45 AM here Pacific Time, so that's a 4-6 hour difference your time right?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'll see what I can do. Time Zones will be weird, it's 9:45 AM here Pacific Time, so that's a 4-6 hour difference your time right?
No, a 3 hour difference actually. You're 3 hours behind.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I can help too.
Awesome. Yeah I'll need all the help I can since I want to make it right. I want to kick start my local scene and place it on the map. Paraguay is strategically located as to be a hub for gaming and events in South America, so having a major tournament here is the best option IMHO.

Top Bottom