• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advice

ToonLink77

Smash Rookie
Hello Link fans. I recently picked up my game on Melee and need some tips to advance my game.

I know I need to work on my short hops and L canceling, but I need advice on how to use wavedashing with Link.

Here are some videos between me and a friend, if you could watch a couple and see what I am doing wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7C466F0AEC167913

Set 2/5 seemed to be my best for some reason, really pulled out all the stops.

Well anyway, tips? Anything would be great thanks!

Paixy

Smash Journeyman
Link's wavedashing is really slow, it's the second shortest in the game (with Peach/Zelda being tied for last). For applying it to your game; use it for spacing (duh), wavelanding around to improve Link's slow speed, prevent approaches, set up kill moves (wavelanding off platforms into dair, for example), to use range more as an advantage, and it's one of your only OoS options....Don't forget to be dashing/running before you WD either....otherwise Link's WD will be even more pathetic lol...

EDIT: I watched 2/5. It was likely your best since your vs Marth on his worst stage. Just wondering, why'd you never recover with the hookshot? You should aim to use this everytime, especially against Marth (CC > dtilt = awesome). I've not really got much to say. You're both very bad, but that's simply down to you being new. Watch videos of pros (Germ, Skler, Lord HDL etc), practice techskill, read Skler's guide, learn all of the AT's and apply them to your game (especially DI! this is important! I think KirbyKaze has a guide for it), and keep practicing! ^^

ToonLink77

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I mostly need to find the time to practice my techs, especially my short hopping.

Thanks for your time!

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
dont get into the habit of double jumping too often
if you waste that second jump, it can really mess up your recovery during crucial moments

pretty much just watch videos and try to copy what you see, but change it up and develop your own style :D

SiN:Wrath

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to Marth you should be punishing him when he dash attacks your shield and fsmashes it with grabs. He's a really fun character to grab punish out of his laggy moves and it allows you to whrack up percentage on him. Try d-throw to up-tilt and u-throw to uair at higher percents. I noticed you almost never grabbed him so that's why I mention it. Check out Skler's guide as it will help alot with your grab game and when and how to use it.
Good Luck and glad to see another Link player!!

-"SKRAAAAA!! INTO A SLIM JIM!!"- Link's attempt at selling Slim Jim's sadly went south as once again his commercials were too violent.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Ok so I watched a little bit of each vid. and like u said short hopping i think should be ur first priority. Then grabs. then using uairs.
basically short hopping into any aerial is key here. dont even worry about the Lcancels until you can do the hop. hookshot recovery is really great and super important vs marth.
using lots of projectiles is great too but the trick is to be moving around and doing that. like sh into a waveland into bomb throw. you can use ur Cstick to turn around in midair and throw a bomb.
if you see marth miss a fsmash use dat young hookshot. dthrow most of the time. always jump backwards when using the boomerang. never stad still and use it...lagggy. um otherwise as everyone else said watch pro vids and practice practice practice.
A timeline for most players
1st month-basic move mastery, consistant sh, improved recovery
2nd month-inconsistant lcancelling, wavedashing, grasping when to punish/appraoch/retreat/edgeguard
3rd month-Consistant lcancelling, begginings of SHFFling, combos
4th month-more consistant with everything above. wavelands, wavedashing incorporated into combat. Mastery of all ATs. incorporation of intense mindgames.

This can be longer and shorter according to each player/how much you play/how much the people you play with progress. hell you may get all this within a month. but this is the average for most ppl ive talked to and play with.

Top Bottom