• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
He just hasn't played enough VIOLENCE dittos. <_< Needs more Ganon fist.

Fortress

Smash Master
also I'm not entirely sure what I did at the end to get that falling Spin Attack off of the platform.
It's called an Edge Slash. It's a nifty trick that not many Links actually use, and you'll hear that it's useless, but it's a neat way to snap to the ledge while putting out a hitbox, having a better utility than simply wavedashing to the ledge if you're going for just a ledgehog. You might throw somebody off once or twice with it while playing in the center of the stage, but the technique does have quite a bit of ending/landing lag, so you're pretty punishable.

Click here to read about the Edge Slash.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I can't get the "Full jump, bomb pull, arrow cancel" to work. Is it still possible in pm 3.5? Are all these moves still possible in 3.5?

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I can't get the "Full jump, bomb pull, arrow cancel" to work. Is it still possible in pm 3.5? Are all these moves still possible in 3.5?
Arrow canceling is not in 3.5 nor do I recall it ever being in any iteration of PM. It's a Brawl-only technique, sadly.

EDIT: for the first time in my life, I am wrong.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Some are and some are not. I plan to update this once I get my goddamn recording equipment back from a certain Puerto Rican asshole.

The arrow thing is still possible. But imho, don't waste time practicing that. There are better things to master.

edit: Arrow cancelling is still in P:M; I did it this weekend. It's not Brawl-exclusive.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Ok, so if I start work on the next one I want to do some planning first. I'll go through the video and update anything that was there and explicitly state when something is no longer possible (Tether cancels). I'll go through the OP and add in anything that I put there that I missed.

Is there anything else that wasn't featured anywhere that you guys feel should be in the guide? I'm willing to take input on anything. Even if it's so much as a bread and butter combo (such as Dthrow Dair in 3.02) that you think is integral enough to be featured. Any advice is appreciated.

Skymage Talmage

Smash Rookie
Im not sure if this has been said already, but Link has a Chain grab. It is rather difficult to pull of but with practice it's easy. D-Throw and immediately grab again. Depending on how they DI, this could get really damaging really fast (throw in a pummel in between for a little extra damage).

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Im not sure if this has been said already, but Link has a Chain grab. It is rather difficult to pull of but with practice it's easy. D-Throw and immediately grab again. Depending on how they DI, this could get really damaging really fast (throw in a pummel in between for a little extra damage).
Is this 3.5? Grab release height was changed and they're always in tumble. And his grab is slow. You can't even utilt which is frame 9. What is the % window?

Skymage Talmage

Smash Rookie
Is this 3.5? Grab release height was changed and they're always in tumble. And his grab is slow. You can't even utilt which is frame 9. What is the % window?
I'm still trying to work it out,but it seems to be different with every character. Like with fast fallers (fox, falco, etc), you would need to be at mid to high percents because they hit the ground before you can release the grab, although sometimes you can hit them with a u-tilt to get a little extra height. the highest chain I've ever gotten was 7 while i was fighting meta knight (he was around 60 when i started, and ended around 120-135ish). I'm working on a chart and i will post a thread with all the percent ranges when i do, although if anyone would like to help, i would really appreciate it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link has had a chaingrab in every iteration of PM.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sorry, i just recently picked up PM and was looking for advanced techs and didn't see anything about this, so i though i would share to see if anyone else knew.
No reason to be sorry, just letting you know hah.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Link has had a chaingrab in every iteration of PM.
D-throw chaingrab never seemed like it was a thing the last version. Unless you're making that terrible pun in which case... Rock on.

But I knew he had Uthrow CG's on spacies. What's the percentage/cast range on Dthrow's chain grab then since I'm apparently ignorant to this and have never seen anyone do it ever. To be fair I was always busy comboing them around that percent rather than looking for a chain grab window that I was unaware existed.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
D-throw chaingrab never seemed like it was a thing the last version. Unless you're making that terrible pun in which case... Rock on.

But I knew he had Uthrow CG's on spacies. What's the percentage/cast range on Dthrow's chain grab then since I'm apparently ignorant to this and have never seen anyone do it ever. To be fair I was always busy comboing them around that percent rather than looking for a chain grab window that I was unaware existed.
He actually had one of the best dthrow chaingrabs in the entire game in the last version lol. 4th or 5th best range I believe after IC's/Ganon/Mario. He could chaingrab almost the entire cast. People don't do it because people don't like to practice I guess?

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
I didn't know that either, but if I may point something out, the fact that people don't do it may be because it's really risky, if you miss you will get punish for sure...
I mean look at Marth CG on Melee (I chose this exemple because we can see it a lot !), if he misses one grab, it will end his combo, but he won't be hard punished for it.
Whereas, use grab with Link (Melee or even PM) and miss, you will get punished, and since he is one of the best char to be combo-ed... Maybe it's not worth trying...

What do you think ?

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Execution is expected to be spot on perfect at higher levels of play. People ledge dash even though you can die from it. I'm sure that's something that could be remedied with practice. The main reason was probably that it was obscure as **** (I seriously never saw it even from watching Hylian and other good Links play), and people are probably further ahead to just start working the combo game if they get a grab. Idk I'll look at it eventually once I feel like touching this game again. If ever.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I practiced it a lot and did it in various tournament sets, I often just combo out of throws however because I have a slowish reaction time which makes me not great at chaingrabbing the harder characters.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Does this work in PM?
Haven't got the OHKO with it yet...

To answer all the up-B and staling questions:

About the staling, the list consists of 10 moves and grounded up-B and aerial up-B stale each other out. However, multiple aerial up-B hits with the same up-B only count once (as multihits don't stale multiple times in PM).
How often you are allowed to stale really depends on the amount of hits of the up-B you get on the bomb, which needs 6 damage to be destroyed.

Your up-B has 4 hits, causing 4, 2, 2 and 6 damage. Now there are multiple scenarios.
You hit all 4 hits, no matter how much it is staled you will always get it.
You hit all but the first one: You can get everyting but 10 stales, but how likely is it to get 10 up-B hits?
Same goes for first and last hit.
You get the 3rd and last hit: You can allow 3 stales, but not more.
Same goes for everything but last hit.
You only get the last hit: No stale allowed!
Same goes for only first and second hit.

If you bomb recover with AGT, it can happen that the bomb receives too much knockback after hit 2. That isn't caused by specifics of hit 2 but by way the bomb receives knockback and the reason is just that it gets knocked away the 2nd time in a short time period. If you have at least one stale already, try to delay the up-B after the AGT and you will get the 3rd and 4th hit most of the time, allowing up to 3 stales. With some 20XX recovery where you hit the first one, cautiously avoiding the 2nd and 3rd hit and then getting the 4th, recovering could always be possible but I wasn't able to pull it off.
Good luck recovering,
Chesstiger

J3f

Smash Cadet
Does this work in PM?
Haven't got the OHKO with it yet...

To answer all the up-B and staling questions:

About the staling, the list consists of 10 moves and grounded up-B and aerial up-B stale each other out. However, multiple aerial up-B hits with the same up-B only count once (as multihits don't stale multiple times in PM).
How often you are allowed to stale really depends on the amount of hits of the up-B you get on the bomb, which needs 6 damage to be destroyed.

Your up-B has 4 hits, causing 4, 2, 2 and 6 damage. Now there are multiple scenarios.
You hit all 4 hits, no matter how much it is staled you will always get it.
You hit all but the first one: You can get everyting but 10 stales, but how likely is it to get 10 up-B hits?
Same goes for first and last hit.
You get the 3rd and last hit: You can allow 3 stales, but not more.
Same goes for everything but last hit.
You only get the last hit: No stale allowed!
Same goes for only first and second hit.

If you bomb recover with AGT, it can happen that the bomb receives too much knockback after hit 2. That isn't caused by specifics of hit 2 but by way the bomb receives knockback and the reason is just that it gets knocked away the 2nd time in a short time period. If you have at least one stale already, try to delay the up-B after the AGT and you will get the 3rd and 4th hit most of the time, allowing up to 3 stales. With some 20XX recovery where you hit the first one, cautiously avoiding the 2nd and 3rd hit and then getting the 4th, recovering could always be possible but I wasn't able to pull it off.
Good luck recovering,
Chesstiger
Yes, although I'm not sure about the touch of death part. I do one in my 3.02 video on bomb serving:
(I didn't put much effort into the video so it didn't get edited out), Link can break a bomb with a grounded Spin Attack and not take damage.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well, it KOd Peach at 0% in the video at around 0:09. So how is it unreasonable to assume it is an OHKO.
...It's pretty clearly a joke video. Of course that doesn't OHKO or even do anything in melee or PM. The peach dies because he altered damage scaling.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
...It's pretty clearly a joke video. Of course that doesn't OHKO or even do anything in melee or PM. The peach dies because he altered damage scaling.
I knew that in the post you quoted. However, I didn't know that in the original post. It is not that unreasonable, as there are such weird hitboxes, for example on Roy's, Wario's and Ike's up-B.
You are right though, the video is not serious enough for an actual good technique, so I should have spotted the irony in it.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
The video. You know how native americans and poor people can get financial aid for college or whatever?

I think they should do the same for Link mains lmfao. We suffer more than anyone. Except like.. Ganondorf mains. But you shouldn't waste money on the dead and dying.

But seriously, I just now started planning out the 3.5 guide. I still need my goddamn splitters.. ****ing AppleJuice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom