• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lineage of the Dragon Clan: Ryu Hayabusa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
------​
Ryu Hayabusa star of the long standing Ninja Gaiden series allong with the DOA series is one of the, if not the most prolific ninja characters in gaming, and what better place for him to cross over than smash bros right? I figured since we were coming down to the wire on E3 it was best to get this one in here while there was still some room to speculate on what this razor edged assassin could bring to the table.​
Bio:
As the son of Joe Hayabusa (Ken Hayabusa in the NES Ninja Gaiden), "the ultimate ninja". Ryu is an heir to the Dragon lineage and is the holder of the legendary Dragon Sword. Although his father should have carried the sword, he passed the sword to Ryu early, due to his bravery and valor. His mother was not mentioned nor seen in any Ninja Gaiden games, although she was mentioned in the Worlds of Power novel where she gives Ryu the letter from his father. Ryu is 21-year-old in Ninja Gaiden and two years older in the Dead or Alive series. Although he appears as a normal man, he is not completely human; this was discovered during the Dark Dragon Blade incident. Because his ancestors draw their blood from the same Deities as the Fiends and Vigoor, he is susceptible to the Blood Curse and therefore is able to be turned into a Fiend.​
In Ninja Gaiden, Ryu is known by some as the Dragon Ninja. The CIA knows about his clan, abilities, and history. Ryu has been betrayed by some of his alleged allies such as A. Foster (Ninja Gaiden NES), and his uncle Murai (Ninja Gaiden Black). He is the ninja Hayate's best friend and an ally of Kasumi and Ayane. Ryu has also befriended several people from the Dead or Alive tournaments, notably Jann Lee, with whom he shares a mutual respect.​
------​
Moveset:
Coming Soon (suggestions welcome)​
-----​
Stage Possibilities
Dragon Clan Village​
Sky City Tokyo​
------​
Arguments and Counter Arguments:
#1 "Ryu wouldn't fit in the game."
I'm pretty sure that if Snake fits Ryu could fit in. Hell. Gray Fox's Assist Trophy fit in so well that it could have been easily mistaken for a character. And Gray Fox is a character known for the one scene from MGS1 where he brutally murders an entire squad of soldiers.​
#2 "A Samurai Warriors characters, Dynasty Warriors characters, or a Nobunaga's Ambition characters are more likely because they crossed over with Nintendo franchises."
The problem with this belief is that people assume they'd go with these because of SW3's Murasame Castle mode, Dynasty Warriors VS costumes of Link and Samus, and the crossover between Nobunaga's Ambition and Pokemon. However, Ryu has a much stronger history with Nintendo and the character itself is much more well known.​
(contributed by 8-peacock-8)​
-----​
Supporters List
HylianHeroBigBoss​
8-peacock-8​
--​
Support Icons:
By Frostwraith​
By G0LD3N L0TUS​
-----​
More to come​

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I would love to make thread(s) on Ninja Gaiden/Dead Or Alive and/or Ayane, but not sure if I should. Still love that you support Ryu Hayabusa in this.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
FINALLY there's a Ryu Hayabusa thread. Man, he's by far the most overlooked 3rd party character with a shot/stands out.

Am not betting on him myself, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has remembered him and Temco Koei's recent relationship with Nintendo over multiple games.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I support Ryu.

What he has going for him: Nintendo and Tecmo Koei have a very good relationship, Ryu was one of the most infamous characters from the NES days, Metroid stage and Ridley are in DoA, The Ninja Gaiden team worked on Other M.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
FINALLY there's a Ryu Hayabusa thread. Man, he's by far the most overlooked 3rd party character with a shot/stands out.

Am not betting on him myself, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has remembered him and Temco Koei's recent relationship with Nintendo over multiple games.
Definitely agree, hes been around since the NES and he has so much to work with as far as potential goes.
I support Ryu.

What he has going for him: Nintendo and Tecmo Koei have a very good relationship, Ryu was one of the most infamous characters from the NES days, Metroid stage and Ridley are in DoA, The Ninja Gaiden team worked on Other M.
Yeah i was surprised that many just passed over him, when hes got quite a bit going for him especially with how nintendo and tecmo's relationship has been from the wii till now, hes in as good of a postion as sonic is as far as that goes.

---
I was just surprised no one had made a thread for him yet, so i figured id get it in there before E3. Im still thinking of at least some b special moves for him right now so ill post those when i get them squared away.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You forgot that Temco Koei also worked on the Samurai Warriors 3 & Murasame Castle crossover, as well as Pokemon Conquest. Nintendo also worked with Team Ninja on fixing Ninja Gaiden 3's gameplay problems and the Wii U port.

In terms of a resume this guy is Bayonetta on steroids. If he actually had popularity (instead of being forgotten) than he does he'd be probably the most likely 3rd party IMO.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Heres Ryu's alt costume. NES Ryu.

You forgot that Temco Koei also worked on the Samurai Warriors 3 & Murasame Castle crossover, as well as Pokemon Conquest. Nintendo also worked with Team Ninja on fixing Ninja Gaiden 3's gameplay problems and the Wii U port.

In terms of a resume this guy is Bayonetta on steroids. If he actually had popularity (instead of being forgotten) than he does he'd be probably the most likely 3rd party IMO.
I think that the crossover and the NG3 stuff can easily be explained with the entire Tecmo Koei has a good relationship with Nintendo thing. But anyway, thanks for reminding me of those things.

Honestly, Ryu Hayabusa would be the most fitting "MATURE" third party character when it comes to choosing one for Smash. Bayonetta got nothing on him.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I was thinking about his special moves, and perhaps one that could be his main draw. For his Down B id like to see a full on weapon switch, say for instance his dragon sword is his primary weapon used in all his a moves but not in his special moves. By changing between weapons he could pull out his scythe (or maybe a different one) and it could potentially alter his speed style and many other things having to do with his A-moves. It might be difficult to pull off, and practically a separate moveset, but i think it would be really cool and could set him apart from every other character and cover a good amount of his arsenal. What do you guys think?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I was thinking about his special moves, and perhaps one that could be his main draw. For his Down B id like to see a full on weapon switch, say for instance his dragon sword is his primary weapon used in all his a moves but not in his special moves. By changing between weapons he could pull out his scythe (or maybe a different one) and it could potentially alter his speed style and many other things having to do with his A-moves. It might be difficult to pull off, and practically a separate moveset, but i think it would be really cool and could set him apart from every other character and cover a good amount of his arsenal. What do you guys think?

I definitely want a character who does that... I've proposed similar things for Mach Rider and Anna from FE, and it'd be pretty awesome on Ryu. When he switches weapons I think he should do a little slash with the new weapon, make it a more dynamic switch instead of him just pausing for a second and grabbing something from his belt.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I definitely want a character who does that... I've proposed similar things for Mach Rider and Anna from FE, and it'd be pretty awesome on Ryu. When he switches weapons I think he should do a little slash with the new weapon, make it a more dynamic switch instead of him just pausing for a second and grabbing something from his belt.
Yeah a smooth transition between the weapons with an offensive slash would be great, especially if it could almost combo in and out of it when combined with other moves. And possibly a downward slash when changed in midair, so it can be used in a number of ways.

Thats a pretty solid moveset, and he also had the same stage idea i thought would be good as well. Im thinking the shuriken should be the base B move (wed get ninja kirby too), and the side B move should be the charge/dash slash combo he can use in the games (cant remember the name at the moment ultimate combo or something)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah. A lot of Ryu's attacks should involve movement. (one of the only way to survive in Ninja Gaiden)

I'm pretty sure that if Snake fits Ryu could fit in. Hell. Gray Fox's Assist Trophy fit in so well that it could have been easily mistaken for a character. And Gray Fox is a character known for the one scene from MGS1 where he brutally murders an entire squad of soldiers.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah. A lot of Ryu's attacks should involve movement. (one of the only way to survive in Ninja Gaiden)

I'm pretty sure that if Snake fits Ryu could fit in. Hell. Gray Fox's Assist Trophy fit in so well that it could have been easily mistaken for a character. And Gray Fox is a character known for the one scene from MGS1 where he brutally murders an entire squad of soldiers.
Superb, do you mind if i add that to the main post? Ill also add you guys to the supporters list as well (nice image by the way)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I loved playing the original NES Ninja Gaiden when I was a kid. And by "love", of course, I mean "why god why were NES games so !@#$ing hard". I haven't played any of the more recent games, but I do appreciate Ryu's history with Nintendo.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
#2 "A Samurai Warriors characters, Dynasty Warriors characters, or a Nobunaga's Ambition characters are more likely because they crossed over with Nintendo franchises."

The problem with this belief is that people assume they'd go with these because of SW3's Murasame Castle mode, Dynasty Warriors VS costumes of Link and Samus, and the crossover between Nobunaga's Ambition and Pokemon. However, Ryu has a much stronger history with Nintendo and the character itself is much more well known.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Firstly sorry for all the erroneous posts on the forums. Lets just say it took me a few atempts to get a hang of these forums. I had this idea and finally I found the right place to put it.

I was thinking what character does SSB Wii U just have to have. And it came to me. Ryu Hayabusa. And this is how I'd do him.

Moveset:
Coming Soon (suggestions welcome)​
That I have done below, worked out a rough move set for him.

Why Ryu Hayabusa?
He was in a trilogy on NES games and the trilogy was remade for the SNES (similar to the NES Mario trilogy remade for Mario All Stars). Also he's a bad *** ninja with a cool ninja sword. More obsecure Nintendo characters have been SSB characters in the past. Lucas or Rob or Game and Watch - Remember those? Anyway I think people would enjoy playing as Ryu Hayabusa in SSB Wii U. I think making him like the recent games is a bad idea. He needs to follow his NES roots.

Playing Style
Ryu Hayabusa would be based off his NES style. Sure he does feature in modern games but none of them are on Nintendo and since SSB is mainly for characters featured on games on Nintendo consoles, I think that's fair. And better in a way as NES ninja skills would make for a very good SSB Wii U Character. He is fast, agile, able to climb walls, swing a sword, create a double of himself and let some really cool ninpo (Ninja magic.) His weakness? He is very light weight and is easily flung around a lot. This is evident in the NES games as hits send him flying. And his jump height is average. Not high and not low.

Move Set
I will describe possible moves for Ryu Hayabusa for most button combinations. I'll use GIFs I've made from videos taken from playing the Ninja Gaiden NES games on an emulator. So you can have a visual representation of the moves. This I feel is a better way to understand the character.

A - Dragon Sword
Down + A - I have not thought of a move for this. Possibly just a ducking sword stab.

Left + A or Right + A - Dragon Sword Upgraded

Smash + A - Hard Kick

Up + A - Spin Slash (also works as a recovery move)

Left + A or Right + A while in the air - Aerial Dragon Slash or an Aerial punch/kick (I have GIFs for both options)

Aerial Recovery Move - Spin Slash. This means Ryu has no 2nd jump. Just one jump and the recovery. This is because I feel a 2nd jump with the wall climbing is a little OP.

B- Shuriken

Left + B or Right + B - Windmill Shuriken

Hold B for a few seconds without moving - Create a clone. The clone lasts for a short time (different to NG2) and only does 50% damage but mimics all of Ryu's moves.

Up + B - Fire Ninpo

Down + B - Fireball Ninpo

Throw - Nothing fancy here, just an average throw.

Block - Ryu parries the enemies moves with his sword

Super special ability from Smash Ball - Art of the Fire Wheels Ninpo (only if Smash Balls exist in SSB Wii U) - Makes Ryu invincible for a limited time and damaging anyone who comes into contact with the Fire Wheel.

Character Ability - Wall Climbing

Stage Possibilities

Ninja Gaiden 2 NES have a few good options.
Stage 2-1 - Battling on a fast moving train where you can easily fall off.
Stage 2-2 - Having the snow push everyone in all different directions would be interesting.
Stage 3-1 - A stage with a few holes. Pretty ordinary right? But . . . it's completely dark. Only the players and items and the moon can be seen, not the land itself. But every 10 seconds or so a bolt of lightning hits the ground. This injures no one, but it makes the ground visible for a few seconds.

If you want screen shots of GIFs of these pleas let me know and I'll make some.

Conclusion

Not much else to say. What do you think about all of this? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
And it's pretty obvious I am a fan of the original Ninja Gaiden series. Even NG3 which I think is not that good a game. And I do support Ryu to be in the game.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Firstly sorry for all the erroneous posts on the forums. Lets just say it took me a few atempts to get a hang of these forums. I had this idea and finally I found the right place to put it
Welcome to the forums! They can be a bit confusing but make sure you read through the Character Guidelines and forum rules. Here's some advice for double posting. If it doesn't show up, copy it and refresh the page. It'll most likely show up. If not, simply copy and paste it into your message and re-submit it.

Ask any of the mods if you have any questions! We don't bite.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ryu with Crono would be and awesome addition for the next Smash but for now all the third party spaces are occupied by Sonic, Mega Man and probably Snake and Pac-Man.
.n_n.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I have edited the move set I made above with a few new move ideas. The GIFs that look out of place are from Double Dragon 3 NES. I used the Ninja in that to explain some of the moves I left out of the moveset. Also a couple of moves don't have GIFs as I can't find anything similar.

If anyone wants me to explain why I chose this move set or possibly go through my thoughts of each move I chose individually I can do this.
And if anyone has any questions on it feel free to ask.

Ryu with Crono would be and awesome addition for the next Smash but for now all the third party spaces are occupied by Sonic, Mega Man and probably Snake and Pac-Man.
.n_n.
I happen to agree. I think the cast for this game is already set in stone. But well we can always hope right? :)

AlRex

Smash Lord
This guy would be one of my favorite third party characters to get in, and the Ninja Gaidens were actually some of my favorite and most frequently played NES games back in the day. I definitely would like him.

SmashMeister

Smash Rookie
Awesome moveset, I really hope he gets in! Add me to the support list!!

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
The only third party characters left that I'd be ok with are Ryu and Simon Belmont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom