• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Likely Alternate Costumes

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Dark Samus as an Assist Trophy doesn't necessarily mean that she couldn't be alt for Samus. Luigi has that Waluigi alt in Brawl while Waluigi is an AT in the same game, right?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the main thing people were getting at was that Samus/Dark Samus have similar models. Even with the same colors, one would be hard-pressed to mistake Luigi for Waluigi. This isn't the case with the former two, given that they're both wearing (modified) versions of the same suit, both have same height/proportions (makes sense considering DS is a literal clone using the remains/essence of Samus' Phazon Suit), and all of that would be made worse if they had similar/color schemes, let alone a full "costume" making Samus' model be that of Dark Samus (unless they used the MP2 version).

Despite that, I'd actually love a DS/Phazon alt. Though in all honesty, I think I'd prefer the heavily Corrupted P.E.D. Suit or just a plain old Phazon recolor.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Is it bad that the more I think about what happened to Dark Samus, the more salty I still get about Dark Pit as a separate PC actually being a possibility?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't think there's enough sadness to describe my feelings on that whole situation. Especially with all the cool stuff the Assist Trophy does, and how even the most minimal effort would have been more than enough to make it less of a (figurative) semi-clone compared to likes of TL or Lucina.

Alas, this isn't the thread to discuss that.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'd want the Fusion Suit to be a complete costume, ala Overalls Wario/Male Fit Trainer/Female Villagers. Complete with its own Palette Swaps.

I thought everyone agreed to never show the Fusion Varia Suit ever again.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm happy to see the light suit as one of the Samus recolors. It looks so clean. I don't think I've seen the Gravity suit yet in Smash 4, but it'll likely be back. The only other ones I'd want to see is Phazon Suit Samus and Prime 2's Green recolor.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm still holding out for the not-technically-impossible chance that her Gravy Suit will be saved for a true "alternate costume/not a palette swap"

As in it changes her suit/model to that of either classic Super Metroid-influenced "Smash" Samus, or her Metroid Prime Gravity Suit (since that one was used for the Gravity Suit Trophy in Brawl). I guess the P.E.D. Suit could theoretically do that, too.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
The light suit re-coloring for Samus is pretty cool, but what I really liked about the light suit is its actual design, rather than just the color scheme. I mean, I wasn't really expecting a complete re-skin for Samus in SSB4, and it's a nice added option, but it feels kind of lacking in the diversity factor, compared to the WFT, Little Mac, and Robin alt. skins. Oh well, the dark suit color scheme still looks fantastic, so I'll probably stick with that.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
The light suit re-coloring for Samus is pretty cool, but what I really liked about the light suit is its actual design, rather than just the color scheme. I mean, I wasn't really expecting a complete re-skin for Samus in SSB4, and it's a nice added option, but it feels kind of lacking in the diversity factor, compared to the WFT, Little Mac, and Robin alt. skins. Oh well, the dark suit color scheme still looks fantastic, so I'll probably stick with that.
I thought that was supposed to be based off of the multiplayer suit from Prime 2. With the green visor and all.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I thought that was supposed to be based off of the multiplayer suit from Prime 2. With the green visor and all.
That's a possibility. Kinda makes sense, I was just hoping Samus would get a complete re-skin, kinda like how there's the male version of the WFT, Little Mac with his hoodie, and the female Robin, rather than just a color swap.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai seems to be very generous with alts this time around. And Samus especially is a character who has a ton of alt. potential in her different suits. So I'd be shocked if we didn't get one for her. Speaking of, what of her other suits are the most similar in size and shape (mainly with the shoulders). This might make it easier to find the one that'll be used.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai seems to be very generous with alts this time around. And Samus especially is a character who has a ton of alt. potential in her different suits. So I'd be shocked if we didn't get one for her. Speaking of, what of her other suits are the most similar in size and shape (mainly with the shoulders). This might make it easier to find the one that'll be used.
I'd probably say that the PED Suit is pretty close in size, especially considering the shoulders:

upload_2014-8-26_1-58-43.jpeg

upload_2014-8-26_1-53-41.jpeg

The Fusion Suit might work as well:

Attachments

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The Fusion Gravity Suit is the best color scheme of all the suits in the series.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Why not both? Regular/vanilla P.E.D. can keep her regular shoulderpads while end-stage-corruption P.E.D. can have the Hazard Shields

I'd also like it better than a Dark Samus alt, truth be told.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I want the standard Power Suit to appear. I just prefer its appearance to the Varia Suit.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Dark Suit (thought it was Phazon, missed the lighter color). Light Suit. Gravity Suit. Fusion Suit. Dark Samus Suit.

Awesome.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A bit sad at the lack of Prime representation outside of 2/Echoes (lol Sakurai calling the Pink alt the Super Metroid "Gravity" suit), but then again, it was my favorite/had my favorite suits. I completely own up to my foolishness for doubting the DS alt.

Especially with how good it turned out/the attention to detail, to all of them (lights/arm cannon all look lovely). Particular note/theory:

[collapse="Somewhat obvious Metroid Prime spoilers"]I assume the light on the back of the left hand is green as a nod to the 100% ending, with the green eye popping up as Dark Samus was born. This same eye is visible during the last fight with her in Echoes.[/collapse]

Also a relief to see my baby/the Gravity Suit. Words cannot describe how sad I was over Sakamoto's reasoning for retconning it in Other M.

According to Smashwiki,"Charge Shot changes color depending on Samus's palette swap."
Can anyone confirm this for me? Or is this a recent update?
If this is true now, I'm going to absolutely lose it.

Shog

Smash Ace
THE HYPE IS REAL!!! I need a new avatar lol. Dat costumes. And good ol Green Suit is back too. Reminds me of Echoes Multiplayer lol. Blue Sammy gets replaced :3

And OMG THE CHARGE SHOT CHANGES *heavily breathing*

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
They all look really sick. I'm kind of surprised that Dark Samus was a costume swap, since she's also an assist trophy. Also, is it just me, or does Normal Samus have a blue visor now. It looked a lot greener in earlier images.

I'm thinking the Light Suit is the best looking.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I also like how the arm Cannon changes color to better fit the suit Samus has. The arm cannon color change isn't drastic, but it's a nice change, consider how in past games, she had the same greenish arm cannon for all her alt. colors.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I also like how the arm Cannon changes color to better fit the suit Samus has. The arm cannon color change isn't drastic, but it's a nice change, consider how in past games, she had the same greenish arm cannon for all her alt. colors.
Yeah, those little details of Sm4sh are simply great! Like Naga's mark in Lucina's eye.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
lolwut @ calling the pink alt Super's Gravity Suit.

I think hoping for or expecting the P.E.D. Suit as one of the alternates is the main reason a lot of us were surprised at the Dark Samus one initially (in b4 Project M or someone does the P.E.D. now), but it does make me feel less salty about her AT status now despite Dark Pit, admittedly.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
A lot of good colors, there. I'll be using the Light and Dark Suits to death. Prime's Grav Suit is awesome as well. The Dark Samus recolor is pretty good, but I was hoping that it would've been the Phazon Suit. No other suit in the entire series had me sold like that one.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I thought that the pink one was based on when Samus uses missiles in the Varia Suit in Metroid. Was I wrong?

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I thought that the pink one was based on when Samus uses missiles in the Varia Suit in Metroid. Was I wrong?
I never realized that the pink suit was actually the Grav Suit from Super Metroid until Sakurai confirmed it in the POTD. Looking back, I see it is pretty close to the original.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Today is a good day for Samus players. Each and every one of these colors I'm thankfull for, and now my personal favorite is back, the Gravity Suit. (Or as Sakurai calls it, the "Metroid Prime Gravity Suit")

I'm pretty stoked in general to hear we get 8 colors for every single character!

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I never realized that the pink suit was actually the Grav Suit from Super Metroid until Sakurai confirmed it in the POTD. Looking back, I see it is pretty close to the original.
The Gravity Suit first appeared in Super Metroid, and even then the armor was purple, not pink:

It was also purple in the 1994 Super Metroid Nintendo Power Comic:

If it sounds like I'm angry, I'm not, just making a point.

On a side note, is it just me, or does this image of the Super Metroid Varia Suit make the suit look more red than orange?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So the Green Suit Samus is the only one not based off a suit from the Metroid games. That being the case, if Samus were to acquire that suit in one of the main series games, what power do you think it would have?

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
So the Green Suit Samus is the only one not based off a suit from the Metroid games. That being the case, if Samus were to acquire that suit in one of the main series games, what power do you think it would have?
The only thing I can think of is going faster and having even more defense.

Top Bottom