• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Likely Alternate Costumes

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I bring this up because of today's newest Smash 4 picture :

What alternate costumes would you all like Samus to have, and what do you all think are the most likely to be in the game? You might say that there won't be one for Samus if you consider, "Oh, Wii Fit U came out during development, so of course there's going to be an alternate costume for WFT." 1) Wario got one in Brawl and I don't remember anything Wario related that was released during Brawl's development time. 2) All of you should know how poorly received Other M has been, so the least Sakurai can do is give us the Super Metroid Power Suit in glorious HD, just in case some people don't like the MOM Suit. I would like to see either the Prime 3 Varia/Gravity/Phazon Suit or the Fusion Suit the most myself. The Light Suit would be cool with the Knee Spikes of doom, but that seems like a pipe dream. Anyway, what are all of your thoughts on this? Samus seems like one of the most likely to get an alternate costume of some kind, and if it's only the Super Metroid suit in HD, I'll be completely fine, as long as the MOM Suit isn't the only choice I have. I don't hate the MOM Suit, and Sakurai made the suit look awesome/show that the suit has potential. You know, a slimmed down Power Suit, even though the proportions for Samus' body looked all over the place inside the suit in M:OM(at least to me) and it looked all shiny and plastic-like an Apple product(which is why I call it the iSuit, but that's just me). If Samus' purple colors that look like the Gravity Suit are the glow-in-the-dark Gravity "Feature" from M:OM though, someone's gonna flip their ****(mainly me...).

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well, if I can make some suggestions...

Retro Power Suit(Metroid 1): The Original Power Suit. Just for that nostalgic feel.

Fusion Suit(Metroid Fusion): Her most powerful suit yet. All of her fire power could be tweaked to all be ice-based. Diffusion Missiles and all.

Improved Varia Suit(Metroid Prime Trilogy): A sleeker and all around better version of the Varia Suit from Super Metroid. No Special priorities.

Light Suit(Metroid Prime 2: Echoes): The suit I would choose to represent the Prime Trilogy. Her ammunition can be tweaked to shoot Light and Dark Beams, or a combination of both.

Dark Suit(Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: What applies to the Light Suit applies to this.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, if I can make some suggestions...

Retro Power Suit(Metroid 1): The Original Power Suit. Just for that nostalgic feel.

Fusion Suit(Metroid Fusion): Her most powerful suit yet. All of her fire power could be tweaked to all be ice-based. Diffusion Missiles and all.

Improved Varia Suit(Metroid Prime Trilogy): A sleeker and all around better version of the Varia Suit from Super Metroid. No Special priorities.

Light Suit(Metroid Prime 2: Echoes): The suit I would choose to represent the Prime Trilogy. Her ammunition can be tweaked to shoot Light and Dark Beams, or a combination of both.

Dark Suit(Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: What applies to the Light Suit applies to this.

The Original and Fusion Suits might be the best choices for alternate outfits seeing as they look different enough in shape from Samus' base outfit. The Prime suit does have its differences, but in a fight, it would be harder to tell which suit is which. In Brawl, we already got a Dark Suit recolor, so all we would need would be the Light suit or Phazon Suit to add with it.

I think that the PED suit from Metroid Prime 3 is different enough to stand out on its own too. Even the shoulders are shaped a little bit differently and the standard color is different enough from the Original, Super, Other M, Prime 1/2, suits. Seeing as that suit is really bulky, but the hitbox won't change too much I imagine. The Phazon Suit, like I said before, would make for an awesome recolor choice.

PED_suit Samus.png

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
I down for Samus to have the Fusion Suit as an alt costume, though the Light Suit be awesome to have as well.

Also these images should be collapsed, I mean that's ALOT of pictures.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I down for Samus to have the Fusion Suit as an alt costume, though the Light Suit be awesome to have as well.

Also these images should be collapsed, I mean that's ALOT of pictures.

Well, sure. I'll go and collapse mine in a second. I didn't think they took up that much space.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I think it'd be awesome if all of the suits were alternates, especially the original, I think that'd be totally radical!

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
Don't use Samus at all, but it'd be cool to see the retro suit included, I forgot how cool it looked.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
In addition to alternate costumes, I also wouldn't mind seeing False Samus from SSE as a palette swap.
The Evil Clone Samuses(how do you spell/pronounce Samus' name plural?) are just the Gravity Suit colors that Brawl used, which is weird, since the Black Suit/Red Visor color swap would fit this scene much better. Unless this is some sneaky way of saying the Varia Suit is better than the Gravity Suit(performance-wise anyway, aesthetic preference is subjective), which it isn't. Also, I love to note how this pic is a prime example of how much like a shiny plastic toy/action figure Samus looks like in this game, just throwing that out there.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think alt costumes are really necessary. Recolours to represent the various suits are fine with me.
I suppose. But more accurate versions of certain suits would be nice to see. I'm sure other feel that way. But I understand where you are coming from.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
I believe the black suit is the Phazon suit from metroid prime that metroid prime (the last boss) steals from you. I would like more suits although i personaly like the metroid prime suit the most, fusion suit would be cool too, otehr then that i dont really care, but samus has a ot of difrent suit potential thats for sure, and i wouldnt mind if they added all of them. theres definetaly a lot of options atleast.

also first post! yey, hello smashboard forum.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
They probably won't, but it would be really cool if the costumes for Samus were the different suits that asia_catdog_blue had in mind. I think that they could use all those except for the original one.

I really want to see Samus in her actual fusion suit and not just a blue color.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Really?

[ collapse ] [ / collapse ]

Remove the spaces.

Oh, and I haven't posted here before? Could've sworn I had at one point, but anyway, I'd be all for the actual sleek Fusion Suit too, over that palette one we got for the Varia Suit in Brawl. And wasn't the Dark Suit already a palette in Brawl as well? Regardless, I'd like to see the Light Suit over that, or even the P.E.D. one, which I think would look better as a simple palette than some of the other choices. And the Phazon Suit would be such an obvious good palette choice that I'm surprised (as I was disappointed) it didn't already happen in vanilla Brawl.

Last edited:

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
the dark colour of samus suit in brawl isnt teh dark suit, its the phazon suit metroid prime steals from her at the end of prime 1.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The darker palette in Brawl is too brown and not black & red enough to be the Phazon Suit.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
the dark suit has actualy a difrent build then the varia suit you can see it in the images above, brawl doesnt give it a difrent skin, it only recolours it black, thus it is the phazon suit, maybe in project m or something they added the dark suit, but not in brawl, also i don't know about throphies as i personaly don't care about those things but why wouldn't they add a trophy of samus from a difrent game to commercialize it (if i spelled that correctly).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Okay, since we have such a skeptic, here's the darker palette in Brawl. Look at it and then look at the Dark Suit in that one post above and tell me they aren't the same colors.

And this is the Phazon Suit.

If you still say that what we got in Brawl was the Phazon Suit, then obviously you're seeing something we're not...

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
This

We need Dark Samus definitely.

And with a Dark Samus costume we also get a Dark Zero Suit Samus with it. :awesome:

Dark Zero Suit Samus! :awesome::awesome::awesome::starman::starman::starman::zerosuitsamus:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
My guess is costumes based on concept art or things like the fusion suit, gravity suit, base power suit, etc.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I feel like they're going to stick with simple recoloring...but I think it would be even cooler to have the some recolors BE different suits, in other words actually changing suit types as a form of recoloring. Sure, there would be standard recolors for the Phazon, Gravity, Varia, and Power Suits. But why not have the Dark, Light, PED, and Fusion suits be a different color AND costume?
SamusColorFinal_zps40b26457.png
I am also really into this (I didn't make this, someone on here did for a contest though). Because there are teams they could throw in the green and GF Power Suit palette swaps as well, if the Fusion recolor doesn't count for blue.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
An Other M-ified Phazon Suit? Oh boy... Still cool for what it is though, whether we were to get that in the game or not.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
The point of her suits in SSB is to only have her most recent varia suit design similar to how we always have the most recent Link design (not counting ssb4). I highly doubt we'll have the different suits as costumes. However, I'm all for pallette swaps. Those Fusion, Phazon and Gravity <3

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Recolors for gravity and phazon suits are fine, but I hope we get at least a few model changes. I feel optimistic since Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and (probably) Villager got an alternate model for their costume.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Wire Frame Mac is the same model, just a different color. HeFit and Overalls Wario (assuming the 0.00001% chance of Wario not returning) are the true examples.

Also I posted already on this thread, but this image (plus her usual Smash alts) sums it up better.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Light Suit Light Suit Light Suit Light Suit Light Suit
Honestly. The Light Suit is my absolute favorite suit in any Metroid game. I'm hoping really hard Samus will have access to it, and most of her iconic suits, given that they seem to be emphasizing alt costumes much more in this game.

Looks like they're not just for Wario anymore, Popo...

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
The Fusion Suit should be a costume because it's the most distinct of all the suits (imo).
The bright colors, unique patterns, arm spikes, etc. all make it different enough to be its own costume.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It deserves its own costume instead of being another palette swap of the Varia Suit, which just makes it look ugly.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Just gonna say this regarding the Gravity Suit Coloration:

Other M Samus never used the classic GS colors. In Other M, they deemed the color of the GravSuit as too bright for the serious story cutscenes that would occur after the suit was acquired. Because, you know, orange is a very serious color, bro.

Mr. Yoshio Sakamoto (pretty much the dude behind the Metroid series, outside of the Prime games) found it weird for a big metallic purple thing to be appearing in a bunch of serious moments. So they cut out the GravSuit's colors, but not the function. He claimed it couldn't be taken seriously. And yet, the most "serious" cutscene of the entire game involved Ridley—a big, PURPLE, space pterodactyl. Double standard, much?

Other M's design team almost went behind his back and added the colors anyway, but they chose not to. And the lack of proper GravSuit colors was one of the many things that were poorly received in the game.

Yet, 2 years beforehand we have that cutscene in the SubSpace Emissary. The one where ZSS and Pika show up to get Samus' suit back, and these two GravSuit copies walk up, all intimidating with their serious biznizz and crap.

Not serious enough, huh?

So now, in Smash 4, Samus—whose design originates from Other M—will absolutely feature the classic GravSuit colors as an alternate costume option, despite her new design having never seen that color pallette.

It's like, in the end, we get the last laugh.

That's all I wanted to say.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Made this yesterday. Samus recolors based on the hunters in Metroid Prime Hunters. Please excuse the barely visible boxes around the right 3 designs. I started with a Sylux Recolor, which is my personal favorite, then Noxus, then Trace, then Spire, then Kanden, and lastly Weavel. I think the Sylux, Noxus, and Kanden ones look pretty awesome. I didn't really do the best job on Trace, Weavil, and Spire. Couldn't think of a lot to do for Spire.

If Sakurai could at least throw in a Sylux recolor that would be amazing.
hunter samus.png

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Made this yesterday. Samus recolors based on the hunters in Metroid Prime Hunters. Please excuse the barely visible boxes around the right 3 designs. I started with a Sylux Recolor, which is my personal favorite, then Noxus, then Trace, then Spire, then Kanden, and lastly Weavel. I think the Sylux, Noxus, and Kanden ones look pretty awesome. I didn't really do the best job on Trace, Weavil, and Spire. Couldn't think of a lot to do for Spire.

If Sakurai could at least throw in a Sylux recolor that would be amazing.
View attachment 13072
That Spire one is fantastic. I'm liking all of these recolors on this forum a little too much. I'm starting to feel like I'm really setting myself up for disapointment, by wanting ALL of them..

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Haha, thanks. I really like the Spire one too...it's my second favorite in the collection. It's just that when I looked at Spire's character models for Hunters and the trophy in Brawl, I was torn with what to do. He has a yellow-orange glow and a brown/gray body in the artwork, but in the Brawl trophy he's orange all over. I guess the recolor is simply based on Spire, but the colors aren't correspondingly applied to it, which I guess is fine.

And yeah, I'm also feeling I'm setting myself up for disappointment regarding the recolors. I'm obsessed with that Galactic Federation Power Suit recolor haha.

Top Bottom