• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's toast those Smashers! ~ Spyro Reignites Super Smash Brothers

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
If anyone asks, I say it was a lucky guess.

I can't be confident that he's right about Crash and Spyro, and Nintendo just pushed forward a few announcements to discredit his leak. I mean, it's not like Spyro has any chance of being in Smash. That would be completely ridiculous... right?

I will keep telling myself this so that I don't get disappointed by Nintendo's E3 presentation.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
https://theyetee.com/products/n-sanity-shores

Was browsing the Spyro Reddit, saw this awesome tee shirt. I love the idea of Spyro and Crash chilling on a beach. Maybe my dream of them in smash will come true as well?

Also daily reminder that Reignited is awesome. Pre Order it or whatever.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I would like to share my idea for a unique passive mechanic Spyro could utilise.

SPYRO & SPARX
Spyro never adventures alone. Sparx the Dragonfly is always there to help and protect his companion. In Smash, it is no different.

Whenever Spyro uses a physical attack, Sparx attacks as well, acting as an extension to his hitboxes. Sparx can also grab opponents and bring them to Spyro, whereupon his pummel attack will do double damage!

Sparx can absorb a tenth of all damage Spyro receives, but this does not come without a cost. If Sparx absorbs too much damage he will drop to a weaker state, and his buffs to Spyro won't be as strong.

Sparx has three distinct states of health, yellow to blue to green, before he disappears completely. Without Sparx's protection, Spyro takes 1.1x as much damage and knockback. So is all hope lost when Sparx vanishes?

Of course not! For every 20 percentage points of damage Spyro deals, a butterfly is spawned. Sparx can eat this butterfly to regain his health, if he needs to. Sparx takes a few seconds to chase down and eat the butterfly, during which Spyro is as vulnerable as if Sparx wasn't there at all, but Sparx won't take any damage until he returns to Spyro.

Sparx's stats:

Gold State
Sparx starts the match in Gold State.
In Gold State, Sparx deals 0.8x as much damage as Spyro in an area 50% larger than his attack's hitbox. He strengthens Spyro's breath attacks 1.5x.
Sparx can protect Spyro from 50 percentage points of damage before dropping down to Blue State. This is a significant amount, but Sparx doesn't go for butterflies in Gold State.

Blue State
In Blue State, Sparx deals 0.7x as much damage as Spyro in an area 40% larger than his attack's hitbox. He strengthens Spyro's breath attacks 1.3x.
Sparx can protect Spyro from 30 percentage points of damage before dropping down to Green State. He can enter Gold State by eating a butterfly.

Green State
In Green State, Sparx deals 0.5x as much damage as Spyro in an area 20% larger than his attack's hitbox. He strengthens Spyro's breath attacks 1.1x.
Sparx can protect Spyro from 20 percentage points of damage before disappearing. He can enter Blue State by eating a butterfly.

Gone State
Without Sparx, Spyro has middling range and attack power. The only buff Spyro receives in this state is a significant reduction in grab lag, but that's only because his grab has half as much reach and a weaker pummel.
Sparx will respawn in Green State after 10 seconds, unless Spyro deals enough damage to spawn a butterfly, in which case Green State Sparx will immediately reappear.

A few things to note about Sparx and butterflies:
  • Sparx and Spyro cannot hit an opponent with the same move at the same time. If Spyro's hitbox connects, Sparx's hitbox doesn't count.
  • If there is more than one Spyro in a match, the butterflies will be color-coded to match each Spyro's player. Sparx will not eat the butterflies spawned by an enemy Spyro.
  • In a free-for-all, if Spyro hits more than one enemy at a time, only one of those hits will count towards spawning the next butterfly. This way, Spyro will not be directly buffed in games with more players.
  • If an attack does more damage than is necessary to spawn a butterfly, the excess damage is put towards the next butterfly. It is therefore possible to spawn two or more butterflies at once, although Sparx will only chase after one butterfly and leave the rest to disappear.
  • Sparx will not chase after butterflies unless he is within 1.5 Spyro lengths away from one. Closing the distance by attacking is a good strategy, although Sparx's hitbox will disappear if he breaks away to chase a butterfly.
  • A butterfly will disappear after 1 second if Sparx does not attempt to chase it. It is therefore impractical to camp at a far distance as Sparx is unlikely to regain health this way.
  • When Sparx changes states, either up or down, his own damage resets. Sparx's damage is not carried over from one state to the next.
  • No matter how strong the attack, Sparx will never drop more than one state at a time.
  • Attacks with no hitstun, like Fox's laser and Bayonetta's bullets, will not make Sparx drop a state, even if he has no health left in the current state.
  • Sparx will start smoking if he is close to dropping a state, in the same way fighters tend to smoke when their damage is too high.
  • As mentioned earlier, Gold State Sparx will never chase after a butterfly. This is why he has much more health in this state than any other, as it is impossible to heal Sparx in Gold State unless Spyro uses his Final Smash... or gets KO'd.
  • Sparx's protection does not work against Final Smash attacks.
  • When Spyro respawns or uses a Final Smash, Sparx returns to Gold State with full health.
  • There are some cosmetic differences in the Japanese version of the game. Spyro is referred to as Spyro & Sparx by the announcer, like how Olimar is known as Pikmin and Olimar. Gold State, Blue State and Green State are instead called the Japanese for Glow State, Spark State and Plain State, respectively. Sparx starts each match coloured green, but changes colours whenever he respawns, like Rosalina's Lumas.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'll be honest, I haven't had the chance to play the original Spyro trilogy yet (itching for that release on Switch!), but I'm a huge fan of 3D collect-a-thons and I already know that I support Spyro 120%. The first time I watched gameplay, I felt nostalgia even though I've never touched the series! If Activision gets Crash in as DLC, there's a fair possibility that Sakurai would vouch to have Spyro as well. That mechanic of using Sparx that Yokta Yokta posted above really made me even more intrigued by the character, and let's be honest, we should get to have at least one purple dragon into Smash.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yokta Yokta and his sparx gimmick is awesome. When I am home it will go in the op for sure. Also will update the supporters list.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh god...

During the spyro trilogy reveal some ask if switch is involved

What was the respone....long awakard pause then said in a way "ok moving on."

Dudes spyro may have just got a opening for smash dlc

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh god...

During the spyro trilogy reveal some ask if switch is involved

What was the respone....long awakard pause then said in a way "ok moving on."

Dudes spyro may have just got a opening for smash dlc
There was already a suspicion about this with the removed Nintendo UK listing. Nice to see that silence spoke volumes though. I'm really aching to play this series.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
No mention of Spyro in the Direct, but I refuse to lose hope.

I gotta say, I'm really hoping that Crash and Spyro are part of the base roster, now that we know Snake's coming back. I wouldn't complain if they were DLC, but it'd suck if their codec conversations were pretty much just "I have no data on this fighter!"

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Given the new information we've received on Smash Bros Ultimate, I would like to raise two points.

Point 1: Spyro's new Final Smash

The Nintendo Direct revealed a new philosophy by the Smash team regarding Final Smashes. Transformation and timed Final Smashes are out, in favour of ultimate moves that use just one or two button presses. To satisfy this criteria, I propose a new Final Smash.

When Spyro activates his Final Smash, a supercharge pad appears underneath his feet. Spyro uses this pad to supercharge across the stage slightly faster than Sonic's run speed. If he hits a player with this supercharge, the real Final Smash is activated:

Forgotten Heroes
Spyro calls upon his friends from the Forgotten Realms to intercept his opponent after Spyro launches them. Sheila, Sgt Byrd, Bentley and Agent 9 do the bulk of the damage, and Bianca seals the deal with a devastating magic spell.

Point 2: Spyro's Echo Fighter
Smash Ultimate unveiled an official designation for what the community has called "clone characters." It could be that we will see even more of these Echo Fighters in the months leading up to the game's release. If that's the case, why not include Cynder alongside Spyro?

As an Echo Fighter, Cynder's moveset is the same as Spyro's. Where Spyro uses Fire, Ice, Electricity and Earth, Cynder uses Shadow, Wind, Fear and Poison respectively. Also, Cynder's Final Smash is a flare of Dragon's Fury, which resembles a purple Mario Finale.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thought it was silly to begin with, but even now I have to say **** the arbitrary “there can only be one purple dragon” fan-rule. Still feel as supportive about having little Spyro in Smash even now.

Maybe Ridley’s confirmation is just making me feel more generous for any remaining candidates, but still, I did have some interest in the idea of Spyro beforehand.

UserKev

Smash Champion
At the same time, the Spyro Reignite is too much for me since I'm of them who was truly there at the beginning. I may be the last to pick it up way after the hype.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully Soyro gets announced if not. Spyro: Reignited Trilogy is going to be grand and will be enough. Good enough for me.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Here's a topic of discussion for us: What should Spyro's series icon be for Smash? I've seen people suggest using the S from his logo, but that isn't a universal emblem of his franchise since the Japanese logo doesn't use the English alphabet.

I think the portal arches would be a good fit. The wide center, slightly narrower base and gemstone-adorned top are iconic features in the Spyro trilogy's level entrances, and it would be easy to depict such an arch in a monochrome logo.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Here's a topic of discussion for us: What should Spyro's series icon be for Smash? I've seen people suggest using the S from his logo, but that isn't a universal emblem of his franchise since the Japanese logo doesn't use the English alphabet.

I think the portal arches would be a good fit. The wide center, slightly narrower base and gemstone-adorned top are iconic features in the Spyro trilogy's level entrances, and it would be easy to depict such an arch in a monochrome logo.
Since dragons obviously play a huge role, I'd suggest the horns and spikes on Spyro's head. They're an iconic part of his design and the spikes are even used on the Japanese logo as well! If Mega Man got a cog symbol to represent its machinery and robots, this could work too.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree with both of you. A single gem as his series icon is an ok fit to. Its iconic enough and Wouldn't! remind you of Steven Universe.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Honestly, I'd consider Sparx a strong contender. A simple dragonfly outline would be pretty iconic reference to the series. Gems are too broadly related to other things, the portals are too vague and inconsistent in design throughout the series. After Sparx I'd go with just Spyro's head, it works for Sonic.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I got my spyro shirt in the mail today, it looks pretty nice.

As for a logo I would go with a gem. It just fits in my opinion.

I'll throw my hat in and support Spyro. I loved playing his games on my brother's PS1 so he will always have a special place in my heart, and boy am I happy those games are getting remastered!

I don't think he's as likely as other 3rd parties but I would never say no to him joining. Just imagine the interactions between him and Ridley or Charizard in a reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
So footage of Spyro 2 Reignited was just plonked onto the internet with very little fanfare.

I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed at how under-the-radar Spyro Reignited's reveals have been compared to Crash N Sane. It makes you wonder how Year of the Dragon Reignited will make its debut. A surprise announcement in a Nintendo Direct is seeming less and less likely...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So footage of Spyro 2 Reignited was just plonked onto the internet with very little fanfare.

I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed at how under-the-radar Spyro Reignited's reveals have been compared to Crash N Sane. It makes you wonder how Year of the Dragon Reignited will make its debut. A surprise announcement in a Nintendo Direct is seeming less and less likely...

I'm getting really worried at this point, I just don't see why it isn't announced yet. Maybe Toys for Bob just don't know how to make games for the switch so they're waiting for a port? It really just makes no sense why the Switch is being left out.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
'sup ma doodz

I'm back with a new passive mechanic for Spyro's moveset.

GLIDING
The first person to get excited about the possibility of Spyro joining Smash was probably checking the Smash Brawl Dojo back in August 2007. On the 30th of that month, the website was updated with an entry detailing a brand new mechanic: gliding.

Unfortunately, gliding in Brawl turned out to be far more gimmicky and far less useful than every Spyro fan was hoping for. Much like tripping and sticker collecting, it was doomed to stay confined to the wastelands of the Wii.

So you'd think that'd be that for Spyro's chances, right? After all, we haven't seen gliding in Ultimate, and who would want to play as a Spyro who can't glide? On the contrary: this is the perfect opportunity to forget everything we know about Brawl gliding, and implement Spyro's iconic aerial manoeuvre in a way that resembles his original games.

ENTERING A GLIDE

Spyro can enter a glide by pressing Jump when his double jump is used up. Alternatively, Spyro will enter a glide automatically at the peak of his Up-B move.

Gliding significantly reduces Spyro's falling speed, but his options during a glide are restricted.

GLIDE MOVEMENT

When Spyro is gliding, he travels forward at a fixed horizontal speed. He cannot speed up or slow down, but he can turn around. However, there is half a second of lag while Spyro counters his momentum. No moves can be made during this lag.

Spyro cannot use his standard aerials during a glide. Instead, pressing Attack will make Spyro breathe fire. Pressing Up+Attack will angle the fire slightly upwards, while pressing Forward+Attack will angle it slightly downwards.

Spyro can use any of his specials during a glide, except for Up Special if it's been used up. Spyro's Neutral Special, Superflame, will not interrupt his glide.

OUT-OF-GLIDE OPTIONS

Spyro can tap Down to drop his glide. This will restore his normal aerial moveset, but he won't be able to re-enter the glide until it is refreshed by landing, being hit with flinching/knockback, using a Final Smash or respawning after being KO'd.

Spyro can also airdodge out of a glide. Doing so will also prevent him from entering another glide until it is refreshed.

Spyro can use his Side-Special, Charge, out of a glide, which will restore his normal aerial moveset. Unlike jumping or airdodging, charging won't take away his glide if he has it.

Pressing Jump during a glide will make Spyro hover. This hover is slightly shorter than his double jump, and will never lift him higher than the start of his glide. After using a hover, there is a brief window of time in which Spyro can use his aerials and specials. If Spyro does nothing during this window, he enters freefall.

Spyro's Down Special is a bit more powerful when used after a glide, and a lot more powerful after a hover.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yokta Yokta cool gliding idea, I can add it to the OP if ya want.

Also seeing Riptos Rage stuff is making me hype.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I just want to add that I've been so relieved after the Switch leak on his website, but goddamn announce it already so I know when I can campaign hardest for Smash DLC!!!

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Who wants to kick some butt as a genuine dragon?

Not an imitation Fire/Flying Pokémon, not a bulbous-nose dino, not a cunning god of death, and certainly not a half-blood prince.
I'm talking about the only bonafide, high-flying, flash-frying, fleet-footed, sharp-horned and sharp-tongued little dragon with the right attitude to take on the best in Super Smash Bros.

Who else could it be but...

SPYRO

They say that big things come in small packages, and they don't come much bigger than Spyro the Dragon! This feisty little one-man army swooped into our hearts in 1998, restoring the Dragon Realms in his first of many conquests against the forces of evil.

Spyro can ride the wind on his dragon wings, gliding from on high to wherever he pleases. From there he can charge forward with reckless abandon, skewering whatever may confront him with his razor-sharp horns, or breathe red-hot flames to burn even the sturdiest obstacles to a crisp.

But if you think Spyro is just an ordinary dragon, just you wait and see what else he can do!

Spyro stands out from his draconian peers with incredible mastery over not one, but four styles of breath magic. When blazing a path through his enemies gets boring, Spyro can switch the form of his breath powers on the fly. Alongside fire, he can breathe high voltage electricity, blow a freezing gale of ice, or blast his foes with the raw power of earth. You'll never know what will come out of his mouth, be it a devastating elemental blast, or a shocking verbal takedown.

Why should he be in Smash?
Spyro was one of Sony's Playstation mascots of the 90s, alongside Crash Bandicoot. As such, he certainly is an iconic video game character. Of course, Spyro would probably have to come after Crash due to the fact that Crash is a bigger name historically and the factor that his remaster came first. However, the fact that Activision clearly want to push Classic Spyro helps him. There seems to be a Switch port in the works inadvertently leaked by Nintendo UK.

Spyro's iconic nature is further supported by his role in the Skylanders games. Like his design in that game or not, the Skylanders series is huge as it helped pioneer the whole toys to life concept that even juggernauts like Disney and Nintendo have hopped on the bandwagon towards. Nintendo even had let Activision use DK and Bowser in Skylanders games on Nintendo systems.

Spyro also offers unique moveset potential. By his body shape alone Spyro is unique, as quadrupeds are very rare in Smash. He also could offer plenty of fun gimmicks for an aerial based moveset.

Arguments against Spyro's Inclusion
1. He is not a big enough name
Well that is entirely subjective my friend. The original Spyro trilogy for PS1 sold close to 12 million units, not including digital rereleases. Skylanders also has been a multimillon dollar success. As such it is hard to say that he is "not big enough"
2. He is not relevant to Nintendo
2014 called. They want their arguements back. The fact that Cloud is in Smash proves that third parties are chosen by gaming merit.
3. He is not important enough in Japan
This is something that could hurt Spyro. While both the Classic Series and the Skylanders have preformed strongly abroad, Japanese sales are not as high. The Reignited Trilogy has not been announced for a Japanese release yet, although a Switch version also has not been announced yet but that is going to happen. International popularity will help Spyro greatly, especially if Crash makes it in as well.
4. He could not hold items/grab
See my moveset bellow.

Game Play Plan:
Midweight Aerial Powerhouse
Much like in his games, Spyro is all about the air, as seen with his Glide Mechanic. His glide mechanic works differently than glides do in Brawl. Spyro's glide is fixed in direction as soon as it initiates. You initiate his glide by holding the jump button and up on the control stick. The glide lasts for 4 seconds or until Spyro hits the ground, whichever comes first. Using the glide out of a single jump consumes Spyro's second jump. Spyro can attack while in a glide, leading to his main method of dealing damage. The key to using Spyro is to ensure one sets up for strong combos out of his glide, and use it to apply offensive pressure.

Note: this moveset mainly represents Classic Spyro in design and function.

Stats
Weight: 7/10 (high middleweight)
Walk Speed: 6/10 (Around Duck Hunt's)
Run Speed: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Fall Speed: 8/10 (Around ZSS)
Size: A bit larger than Duck Hunt, his head w/ horns are around Mario's height
Crawl: No
Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: Yes (climbing pose from 2 and 3)

Standard Attacks
Jab 1 - Spyro does a decently quick hit with his head forward (4%)
Jab 2 - Spyro follows up with a flip (5%), links into Jab 1
F Tilt - Sparx rushes forward as if to grab a gem, hitting the opponent (6%)
Up Tilt - Spyro does a hit upwards with his wings, sends foes up diagonally (7%)
Down Tilt - Spyro does a tail swipe in front of him, deceptively mediocre range but very fast (3%)
Dash Attack - Spyro lets loose a quick burst of flame while heading for a stop (9%)
U Smash - Spyro uses a burst of Ice breath above him, can freeze at higher percents (12-18%
F Smash - Spyro puffs forward with his signature flame breath attack within the series. It is a quick burst of flame that slightly pushes Spyro back, much like in the PS1 games. Hits about as far as Spyro is long. (13-19%)
D Smash - Spyro does a quick single spin while breathing electricity, striking both sides in turn (11-17%)
N Air - Spyro does a very fast vertical spin, hitting all around him, like Meta Knight's nair (6%), essential for his play style
F Air - Spyro unleashes a burst of flame in front of him (9%). This move is essential for Spyro's spacing, as it hits far (about as far as his Forward smash) without slowing or cancelling glide
B Air - Spyro rolls sideways, spinning like a drill. This move is great for ending his combos, and has a hitbox mostly focused around Spyro and behind him (7%)
U Air - Spyro hovers upwards slightly, as he would in 2 and 3, hitting four times above him with each wing flap(each hit does 2%, links into each other). This quick move slows his glide down and is great for positioning. One of spyro's key tools for glide combos
D Air - Spyro swings his rear legs forward, slowing down his glide like in his games, and kicks multiple times (7 hits for 2% each). This move is great for setting up for his glide combos.

Grabs and Throws
Grab - Sparx dashes forward and grabs the opponent, drawing them towards Spyro. Good range and speed, but slightly easier to escape
Pummel - Spyro blows embers onto his grabbed opponent, a very fast pummel that does .5% per hit. A single pummel hits multiple times
F Throw - Spyro chucks the opponent behind him and torches them (11%), a good kill move and Spyro's best kill throw
B Throw - Spyro buffers the opponent away with his wings (6%)
U Throw - Spyro headbutts the opponent upwards (8%)
D Throw - Spyro flips over the opponent and hits them down into the ground, launching himself into the air. Can be used to set up glide combos

Special Moves
Neutral B - Superflame
This move fires a single orb of Superflame, like in Spyro 2 or 3. These balls of fire travel a decent distance (about 2/3 of Final Destination), and deal 7%. The only issue is that while they travel decently fast, they deal very little shield damage, and Spyro can only fire two at a time before one fades away. This move is great for harassing foes at a distance, but is not a great camping tool due to its lack of spamability. It is also a potent edgeguarding tool.
Side B - Charging
Spyro enters an offensive dash, much like he does in his games. This charge is slow to turn around, but powerful offensively. Spyro's main use for this is conditioning foes to a responce and then charging into them. It is not the quickest move to cancel (think Bowser Jr's cart dash), but does have an offensive hit box upon ending. The move has armor on startup. Furthermore, like in the classic spyro games, one can jump while charging, which can lead to glide setups. A hit from charge deals 11%.
Up B - Whirlwind
Spyro jumps into a whirlwind from the classic games. While this move deals no damage, it does have a windbox, protecting Spyro (except from above). Spyro can use this move to edgeguard opponents with its windbox, though the windbox has a more moderate push. If Spyro has not already used his glide, he can use it after it finishes. The move deals no damage.
Down B - Headbash
The headbash is one of Spyro's most important kill moves. At first, it appears to be another subpar dive kick move. However, it is possible to combo into it through gliding combos if DI is read and predicted correctly. For example, by using Charge Jump>Glide>Up Air>Headbash, or another possible combo, you can lure out an opponent for a kill. The headbash does a spin (which does 4%), which links into his dive (which deal 10%). It also has a rising hitbox like Yoshi's grounded down B. Using this move right is key to good Spyro play. It has a lot of lag and is easy to punish, so comboing into it is essential.
Final Smash - Supercharge
Spyro harnesses the overwhelming power of the supercharge for his final smash. Spyro rushes forward while in supercharge until the player lets go of the B button. He can be turned around, but this is very hard to control. Supercharge spyro is immune to damage, and instantly pierces shields. It is possible to jump with the move, but it is hard to control. The speed of the move could very well lead ot a few untimely SDs, much like in the classic games.

Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Spyro stands up on his back legs and declares the enemy to be "toast"
Taunt 2 - Spyro licks his paw while stroking his frills back
Taunt 3 - Sparx starts buzzing around Spyro, and he smiles and shakes his head

On Screen Appearance - Spyro flies in from the top and quickly springs into a battle pose

Victory 1 - Spyro headbutts a sheep and shakes off the impact while Sparx chases the resulting butterfly
Victory 2 - Spyro rides in on his skateboard and wipes out, but lands on all four feet and acts like he meant to do that
Victory 3 - Sparx grabs a purple gem for Spyro, who inspects the clarity with awe while lounging on a deckchair

Idle poses: Sparx flutters around Spyro, while Spyro looks around. Sometimes, he looks directly at the player.

Series Stage
Dragon Adventures

The basic idea of this looping stage is to represent all the classic games of the trilogy to the fullest extent. Therefore, this stage visits the levels from the title screens of each game in a fixed order, akin to Castle Siege. Gems appear in the background of each level, disappearing a few at a time with each successive visit.

The first stage visited is the Magic Crafters hub. Green Druids swing a pair of platforms back and forth at a slight angle, meeting in the center of the stage before drifting apart again. The main stage is flat, and about as wide as Smashville. Running amok in the background are blue egg thieves, and the signposter gnorc from the title screen, as well as a big gnorc and a shielded gnorc guarding a crystallised dragon.
Soon, an Orb materialises in the centre of the stage, summoning a portal that quickly engulfs the fighters.

The next stage is Skelos Badlands from Spyro 2. Here, the fight occurs atop the skull head, high above a pool of lava. However, the lava is purely a background detail, as the bottom blast zone is above the ground. The horns are not tilted up here as much, in order to provide ledges. The stage also is altered so that the plateaus and islands are in the background instead of just mountains. Lava lizards and cavemen run about in the background, fighting over shiny Orbs.
Three giant whirligigs appear from the sky to bring the fight to a new location.

The third stop is Fireworks Factory. Fighting occurs on the massive building in front of the moon, with one smaller tower added next to it on each edge. The stage is long and with two lowered platforms on each side. Fireworks go off in the sky above when a player is KO'd. In the background, Rhynoc ninjas attempt to steal a dragon egg from Agent 9, Sheila, and Gretel, and fail spectacularly.

A hot air balloon rises up from the ground and carries the fighters back to Magic Crafters, and the cycle repeats.

Stage Music
Title Screen (Spyro 1)
Dark Passage
Misty Bog
Toast
Gnasty's Theme
Glimmer/Title Screen
Skelos Badlands
Zephyr
Gulp's Overlook
Ripto's Theme
Sparx's Theme/Title Screen
Fireworks Factory
Molten Crater
Crystal Islands
Speedways
A Hero's Tail Medley

Credit to Yokta Yokta as the original OP who wrote most of the current op.
I actually like that idea for a moveset, however I do think that Supercharge could just as easily be the attack Sunny Flight (one of the more memorable (and only enjoyable) levels in the Spyro PlayStation One game in japan)
Honestly though, Activision would be an idiot not to release Reignited Trilogy in Japan, but they should focus more on the Nintendo Switc for the initial Japanese release, there's a better potential in Japan for Spyro on Nintendo consoles due to the success of Crash Bandicoot Fusion and Spyro Season of Ice.

I support Crash as a fighter, Coco as Crash's Echo Fighter, and Spyro getting into Smash Bros Ultimate, either as unlockable, DLC or Assist trophy.

Trilogy DLC bundle: Crash Bandicoot, Coco Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon; DLC stages for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro include Backgrounds on stage builder and custom Crash & Spyro Stage Builder options for parts. (Let's be realistic, Activision has no time to design a full stage)

Sega DLC bundle: any Sega character from Team Sonic Racing, plus one or two extra Sonic character, possibly Tails or Blaze. Casino Night Zone.

Street Fighter DLC bundle: Ken as Ryu's echo, Chun Li as a new character, a new Street Fighter Stage

Arms DLC bundle: Springman and Ribbon Girl as Echos of each other, Minmin, and Dragon Colosseum/Stadium as Minmin's stage.

DLC characters have a single square labeled "DLC". The same square labeled DLC is used when switching to the DLC stage menu. (Or a button can be pressed to enter the DLC stage menu)
An alternate route, DLC characters could be activated by scanning an Amiibo, while the stages are subscription provided by the Switch paid service.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I like the idea of grouping DLC by franchise. Smash Ultimate could probably get away with releasing new fighters for free post launch, covering the cost by selling DLC packs containing stages, echoes, assist trophies, campaign missions and bosses, etc.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Echoes should be included for free. I was thinking players could either choose between scanning an Amiibo to unlock DLC characters, or pay for the Switch Paid service to rent all the DLC stages. (Smash 64 can also be playable in Masterpiece Trials as part of the Switch paid service)
They could cover the costs instead by making all the DLC characters unlockable in a special adventure mode like they did with Octo Expansion, speaking of which, it'd be great to see Agent 8 as an echo of the Inklings.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I'd pay $20 to unlock Agent 8 from Octo Expansion, Spyro, Crash and Coco, Two Street Fighter characters fighting the stage boss from Street Fighter IV 3D. A Sonic the Hedgehog level where you meet Blaze and another Sega character. And definitely an ARMs level where you fight Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as Minmin in the Dragon's Palace stage that was previously in both ARMS and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Let's steer the topic of discussion back to Spyro in Smash
If Spyro came with an Echo, who should it be? Cynder would be the obvious choice, but Ember is also worth considering
Most people don't know this, but Ember is actually half Spyro's age or something like that, Ember would not make a good fighter, if Spyro's Echo was Cynder, I'd want to go with her Skylander's appearance, while Spyro goes with his reignited Trilogy appearance. however, Spyro just doesn't seem like echo material to me, only Crash Bandicoot seems a popular enough series to have two characters, although Skylanders had some limited popularity in Japan, so that could work out in Crash and Spyro's favor, but it could mean Skylanders Spyro, which is bad news for Activision trying to promote Reignited Trilogy in Japan.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I agree that there just isn't really good Spyro Echoes, but I do think that Hunter could make a Fox echo, replacing the blaster with bow and arrows, while Firefox acts the same but with Hunter using his jetpack and the side b looks like him doing an over the top karate kick but also acts the same

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I agree that there just isn't really good Spyro Echoes, but I do think that Hunter could make a Fox echo, replacing the blaster with bow and arrows, while Firefox acts the same but with Hunter using his jetpack and the side b looks like him doing an over the top karate kick but also acts the same
Hunter would make a better echo of Link then Fox, honestly I'd rather have Sgt. Byrd or Stealth Elf in than Hunter. And I honestly don't mind some of the Skylanders recieving their own playable titles.

I seriously want a new Stealth Elf videogame.

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Dropping by to show my love and support for Spyro in Smash Bros. While certainly an unpopular opinion in this thread of all places, I do have to admit I have my doubts about Spyro getting in. DESPITE THAT however, I would adore seeing my beloved purple dragon fighting alongside the roster we currently have now (even cooler if he manages to make it in alongside Crash; I'd be grinning like an idiot for days if that happened.) I guess you can say I'm something of a pessimist or a cautious yet hopeful individual; I dunno. Personally, I see it as me expecting the worst but hoping for the best. It's how I cope with situations like these I guess.

Anyway, enough rambling. Even if I may not sound like it at first, I am definitely all for getting Spyro into Super Smash Bros. Count me in! :b:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
That's the spirit, Wyvern 0m3g4 Wyvern 0m3g4 !

Personally, I also believe that Crash and Spyro have pretty low chances of joining Smash. But, if they do, I'm all but certain they'll join the roster simultaneously. Their fighter numbers will probably be consecutive.

Actually, I just had an epiphany of sorts.

Ultimate's base roster was formed in December of 2015. At E3 2016, Vicarious Visions announced Bowser and Donkey Kong for Skylanders Superchargers. Perhaps these two events aren't unrelated?

I do find it kinda funny that Nintendo would allow two of their biggest characters to appear in a game that wouldn't be released in Japan. What if Nintendo wanted something from Activision, and these cameos are what Activision asked for in return?

What if that something was Crash Bandicoot in Smash Bros?!

The only problem with this theory is, if it's true, Spyro's moveset would be based around Skylanders, if he were in the game at all...

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
:) Thanks for the affirmation. As for that epiphany, it's rather bittersweet for me. On one hand, you've given me just enough hope that there may be a chance, no matter how slim, that Spyro may get in some how. And while I'm skeptical that Sakurai would do DLC two games in a row, if it helps Spyro's chances, I certainly won't complain if he does go through with DLC again.

On the other hand though... I've never been too keen on Spyro's design in Skylanders, and given how accurate your prediction sounds regarding a deal between Nintendo and Vicarious Visions... Well, yeah. But I'll suck it up as best I can, if it means I get Spyro at all. ...Actually, then again, an argument could be made for Sakurai fighting his hardest to make sure elements of the original trilogy's design gets included somehow. We need look no further than how he's treated someone like K. Rool so far. So you never know.

And now that I'm thinking about Spyro again, I realized it's been far too long since I played any of the Spyro games. I had recently went back and FINALLY got a 100% completion record in Spyro 1. Now I'm itching to go and give it my best shot in Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon. Besides, I just miss having fun exploring those beautiful games, and it's about time I got my 3-D platforming fix again.

Top Bottom