• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk The Subspace Emissary

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I didn't see a topic for this, so let's talk about the adventure mode.

Anyone got a favorite level? Tips for the game? Any combination of stickers you guys use on your characters?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would say this mode is very underrated. People say it just sucks. I don't really get how it's any better than Melee's adventure mode. The gameplay is simple. You just run around a destroy everything in your path. It's a nice addition to this game.

My tips... Well dunno I just like Marth with all the sword boosts and such. His counter ***** as it counters the enemies strong attack back so they usually OHKO them. I usually just slam the sticker booster sticker to get more of them as I still lack about 10 stickers to have them all.

I don't think the story is anything special, but it's way more fun than let's say HRC or BtT or any of the Multiman modes. Some say it's for the nerfs of several characters what sucks, but honestly it has no effect on competitive play in any way. It's just for the balance of the platforming in this mode. So you can't just glide throught every stage like nobody's business.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, counter *****, especially in Intense. And I'm in the same boat as you will only 8 stickers left.

Also, anyone (well, if anyone is viewing this) find a use for the defense stickers. They never seem very helpful. I just pump Launch Resistance.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't have room for those actually. I The sticker boost and attack takes all.

just86

Smash Rookie
I haven't played on this mode for a very long time, but I actually enjoyed it a lot when I did. It's kind of an elegant beat-em up basically. I'm gonna do intense mode for the first time (can't believe it took me this long to get around to it), so hopefully it's not too ridiculous.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I would say this mode is very underrated. People say it just sucks. I don't really get how it's any better than Melee's adventure mode. The gameplay is simple. You just run around a destroy everything in your path. It's a nice addition to this game.
I wasn't aware Melee had an adventure mode :surprised: I was told it did not.

Personally, I loved the adventure mode, I thought it was very awesome that they decided to add one to the game. A lot of people don't seem to like it though, and I have no idea why. I guess they say the Great Maze was just "filler," but I didn't really view it like that at all, I can name games that had much greater "fillers" than this.

It satisfied me enough to consider calling it "fun entertainment," so I assume it did it's job correctly.

My favorite level? Definitely the Lake and Swamp. Fox, Falco, Diddy Kong, and Bramble Blast all mixed together makes me :grin:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I haven't played on this mode for a very long time, but I actually enjoyed it a lot when I did. It's kind of an elegant beat-em up basically. I'm gonna do intense mode for the first time (can't believe it took me this long to get around to it), so hopefully it's not too ridiculous.
It's pretty crazy. Attacks do way more damage and you get sent flying early.

SnoreStory

Smash Rookie
I'd say it's a bit repetitive, though, it was fun. What some don't bother even mentioning was the story. Nintendo seemed to put some effort into the storyline, and it did tie in pretty neatly with the Nintendo universe. The Great Maze took a bit too long, but it was a great practice for me. I loved the boss battles to death, and the continuous challenge of obtaining all the trophies without having to use a continue on Intense. Is it safe to use a signature at this point? I think it is, but, if you think it's not, please inform me, and I'll have it promptly edited out.

Thank you.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's actually much less repetitive than any other mode, VS included.
And the story is kinda weird, there is a story and such, but it's not really explained well in the game so you gotta read the stuff from trophies.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah but it kinda sucks that you got to read the story from another site since the game itself doesn't really tell the story well at all.

BSP

Smash Legend
You guys should try an intense run with no stickers. The challenge makes it fun.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The reason it was badly received was because of how hyped up it was.

Seriously, the Dojo made this seem like a massively awesome adventure mode that incorporated elements of every Nintendo franchise with a unique and interesting storyline. What we got was a repetitive, longer version of Melee's Adventure Mode.

The problem isn't in what it is, it's in what it could have been.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I see Grim, never thought of it that way, now that I think of it... Yeah I was hyped, I thought it was like a different adventure for each character with stuff. =/

BSP

Smash Legend
I wasn't that hyped because I wasn't even hyped for brawl initially really. I was even questioning getting it when I got it.

I was a fool back then. So yeah, I wasn't displeased, but I wasn't hyped either.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The reason it was badly received was because of how hyped up it was.

Seriously, the Dojo made this seem like a massively awesome adventure mode that incorporated elements of every Nintendo franchise with a unique and interesting storyline. What we got was a repetitive, longer version of Melee's Adventure Mode.

The problem isn't in what it is, it's in what it could have been.
I have thought about why the Subspace Emissary didn't go over well. I wont go into too much detail (lazy), but basically, the mode is too much of a one time thing. Melee's Adventure mode worked because it was repayable. In the SSE, you are very much dragged along by the story, and it's not to fun to play it after you are done.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have played through the SSE stages like 10 times. It's fun sometimes but is getting really boring for me now as I have played it that much. It's a nice addition to the game and is waaayyy better than Melee's adventure mode. Man I lol'd when I played Melee's adventure mode.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Actually i really liked it. I love how the characters come together and really interact with each other. I remember link seeing evil zelda getting destroyed and thinking it was real zelda, who then charged at mario and pit, with yoshi. Also, when link and zelda look down at ganondorf, and share the same look. Then there is interaction with other characters, such as lucas and the pokémon trainer banding together(still wish he was called ash), and how the 'evil characters' interact with the good ones in different ways. There are also things that are confusing, a little like life. Yes, the levels were sometimes a tad repetetive, but when you've played games for as long as i have, it doesn't matter one bit :D .

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have been playing subspace embassy with a friend of mine who owns a wii, and I wish to for a joke go over there one day play with him but do in game things to screw him up. However I am always player two and I am not that good at brawl (I am more used to a different smash game.) so what are some whys to active being a sub space embassy troll.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Why would Pokemon Trainer be called Ash?
That's always been his typical name. The pokémon trainer looks just like him, and i love the 1st gen games of pokémon,(yes i have a mew) so, well, yeah....

Alternatively, imagine being able to name him!

*scratches head*

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That's always been his typical name. The pokémon trainer looks just like him, and i love the 1st gen games of pokémon,(yes i have a mew) so, well, yeah....

*scratches head*
If I remember correctly, the Pokemon trainer from the generation 1 games was named either Red, Blue or Green. Depending on which game you had.

I don't quite see how it's his "typical name" if it's never actually been used.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Actaully ash was the first option. I've always been ash in it. Also, that was his name on the series.
I highly doubt Ash was the first option.

Especially considering the name was entirely made up for the dub of the TV show.

I mean, how much more un-official can you get?

The game was released before the TV show, by the way.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Exactly. Just.. Play gen 1. I play it all the time. I assure you that ash is the first option. It wasn't made up. Really, try it. Even so, if it was red, which i'm pretty sure it isn't, name him after that. I really do not like the pokémon trainer, i'd much prefer a name.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Exactly. Just.. Play gen 1. I play it all the time. I assure you that ash is the first option. It wasn't made up. Really, try it. Even so, if it was red, which i'm pretty sure it isn't, name him after that. I really do not like the pokémon trainer, i'd much prefer a name.
It is made up, I just checked. Red is the first option in Gen 1.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
Actaully ash was the first option. I've always been ash in it. Also, that was his name on the series.
dude red blue and green was made before the show and on gold and sliver his name was red, are you playing a rom? and someone did that?.

oh yeah melee's adventure mode to me was more creative than brawl's but brawl was longer and had movie scene's but no talking if it had a dialogue i would diffently say SSE was good, but still at least they had a SSE. and another thing on SSE every one wieght and jump is differnt idk how much stuff is differnt it would be good if someone told me :)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have been playing subspace embassy with a friend of mine who owns a wii, and I wish to for a joke go over there one day play with him but do in game things to screw him up. However I am always player two and I am not that good at brawl (I am more used to a different smash game.) so what are some whys to active being a sub space embassy troll.
It's a jerk thing to do, but kill yourself. You share lives in the SSE, so he would then only have one left.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Maybe it is yellow. But you guys are then proving my point. If red, blue, and yellow(and green, i guess....) were made before the series, then there is ground for the name ash, as ash was definitely a legit name. I have a gameboy, no one actually set it up. My point about that, see, is that simply, since gen 1 was made before the series, and ash was a name(no one set it up, as i said), then the people who made the series may have thought, oh, here's the name ash, we'll use that. You guys are misunderstanding me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Maybe it is yellow. But you guys are then proving my point. If red, blue, and yellow(and green, i guess....) were made before the series, then there is ground for the name ash, as ash was definitely a legit name. I have a gameboy, no one actually set it up. My point about that, see, is that simply, since gen 1 was made before the series, and ash was a name(no one set it up, as i said), then the people who made the series may have thought, oh, here's the name ash, we'll use that. You guys are misunderstanding me.
The name Ash was entirely created by 4Kids, the localization company for the Pokemon anime. It has not been used in any of the original Japanese games, or any of the translated games to my knowledge. The character's name in the Japanese anime is Satoshi.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Ash/Satoshi was named after the creator. Gary/Shigeru was named after his friend (Shigeru Miyamoto). The anime is LOOSELY based on the game. Their proper names are Red and Green. I wish they should have just named Pokemon Trainer 'Red', but in Brawl he's different versions of the game's main characters so....yeah.

Top Bottom