• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about PM Doubles

Journal

Smash Apprentice
I think that there's a lot of potential for PM Doubles characters. So I have two questions.

1. Individually, who do you think are the best doubles characters? One I've been hearing a lot lately is sonic because he can pretty much always get to his partner to help out. I could also imagine a ROB being good to finish off stocks and edgeguards and a downsmash to take out opponents if they're surrounding him.

2. What character duos would work well together? Off the top of my head, I could see Kirby and Ivysaur working well together, because kirby can just absorb Ivysaur to get a free solar beam, discard it, and repeat. I could also see a Mewtwo and Lucas doing well, because of the energy attacks + absorb, and Lucas could tank stocks.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
@1.
:fox::sonic::metaknight:are looking godlike on both lead and support. I think :lucas:&:lucario: are up there too, but that's just me.
:sheik:is a godly supporter. I think:peach::ivysaur::jigglypuff::rob::link2::gw::snake::samus2::yoshi2::ganondorf::mario2: are also close behind for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure about Kirby or Mewtwo, or anyone else. These are just characters I've seen, fought, or used the most. I do teams a lot.

@2.
Best teams IDK, but they usually involve Fox or Sheik from what I can tell.
Ivy, MK, or Sonic + Sheik is prob busted. Used Ivy/MK-Sheik in tourney and it was EZ$. #braindead #nosynergyrequired.
I've fought a Ganon-Lucas duo who control space with almost no effort, & they use grab>up smash/dacus every opportunity.
I've fought a Lucario-Snake duo. The players were both good individually but it was clear to me that those 2 characters paired together depend on more synergy than those guys had. Although I think they could prob be a scary pair if they had it.
Just form your own theories and strategies, and you'll come up with a great team.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'm not sure there IS a 'bad' doubles character.
Even DK and Samus are functional and solid, and that's saying something...

Roxas215

Smash Lord
PM is my fav smash game. But PM doubles is by far the worst doubles in all of them. Just too much nonsense goes on in PM doubles and over half the stages are too small for pm doubles anyway.

But to answer the question i always thought Ivy was designed to be the ultimate doubles character. I felt this way wayyyyyyyy back in Brawl+ and still to this day. Ivy is literally amazing in a doubles setting.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Double Ike is an absolute wrecking ball; the two of them make up for eachother's sluggish attacks and forward smash kills and counter edgeguards are aplenty in the havoc that occurs. You can literally just quickdraw > short hop > counter into any fray and usually come out on top.

Double Pit is also ridiculous, both Pits can prevent you from ever moving with the barrage of arrows, and you'll never come down because of their amazing up smash.

I might make a post later with some of my other favourite combinations.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I actually am not a fan of Ivy in doubles anymore. I was in 3.02 but now, with most of her on stage kill power gone, and some quick autocombos like uthrow upB to separate the opponents gone as well, she's just a mediocre support who happens to die really quickly to anything that was top tier in Melee and then some more characters.

Although Kirbysaur does look like a good team, at least on paper.

Top Bottom