• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Make & Critique Custom Sets

Rosalina & Luma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-3570-2002
Look here for reference:

http://berathen.com/2014/09/rosalina-custom-moves.php

Here is mine.

Neutral: Luma Shot ( Regular )
Rosalina charges up Luma and shoots him out at a distance equal to the charge. The charge can be held as long as desired but maxes out (Luma will not be shot until B is released).
Once shot, Luma travels as a projectile and can be reflected (however Villager did not seem to be able to pocket Luma). Pressing B again will return Luma to Rosalina providing Luma is not in a helpless state (a state surprisingly easy to induce in Luma). This move has kill potential when charged.
This move does nothing but wave the wand if Luma is currently knocked out.

Up: Jump Star Attack

Deals 13% damage.

The Jump Star Attack is obviously an offensive variation of the Launch Star special. This custom move travels less distance, but Rosalina deals multiple hits as she rises and finishes the maneuver with a powerful flip kick.

This special still has enough distance to be used reliably for recovering, but personally I feel it doesn't fit Rosalina's play style. I'd rather focus on careful positioning rather than trying to get close to my opponent to land this strange attack.

Side: Speedy Star Bit

Deals 5% damage.

The Speedy Star Bit sends a star bit flying out from Luma at a speed you might expect from Super Mario Galaxy. This projectile is very quick and reaches nearly all the way across Final Destination.

I really like this custom special because it gives Rosalina access to a solid projectile which makes her able to zone effectively while tacking damage onto her opponents. I generally have Luma with me when I choose to use this attack, but in some situations it's pretty useful having Luma able to be a long range threat while separated from Rosalina.

Personally I don't really see any downsides to this move. It doesn't quite have the shield pressure or damage of the other attacks, but honestly that doesn't really feel like a problem.

Down: Guardian Luma

Deals 3% damage.

Rosalina twirls her wand around and Luma grows to a giant size for a brief moment. If Luma touches an opponent then they take a small amount of damage and knock back. Luma can also nullify projectiles in his giant state and doesn't take any damage for doing so.

Again Guardian Luma doesn't seem as useful as the default special.
This special move seems to be the balance between the other two, but its primary use it still blocking projectiles. It does the job just fine, but requires Luma in order to do so.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
100% theorycrafting here, but combining Strong Shot, Drifting Star Bit, and Guardian Luma sounds like it has potential to turn Rosalina into a really annoying stage control character due to all the lingering hitboxes plus Luma who can itself expand into a combined hitbox and projectile sponge.

Speedy Star Bit and Catch & Release could work in a vaguely similar direction, a zoner who can fling you right back out if you get too close.

Rosalina & Luma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-3570-2002
100% theorycrafting here, but combining Strong Shot, Drifting Star Bit, and Guardian Luma sounds like it has potential to turn Rosalina into a really annoying stage control character due to all the lingering hitboxes plus Luma who can itself expand into a combined hitbox and projectile sponge.

Speedy Star Bit and Catch & Release could work in a vaguely similar direction, a zoner who can fling you right back out if you get too close.
That will definitely be interesting to try out. Smash 4 will have a extremely fun meta game if customs were allowed.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Luma Warp. From what I've seen, it sends Luma out at the same distance as the completely uncharged Luma Shot does.

Drifting Star Bit.

Jump Star Attack.

DownB choice seems dependent on who you're fighting. They all appear useful.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
With Luma warp you have no fine control over where it stops. With the default special you can immediately cease its forward momentum at any point prior to its normal stopping point by making it attack. Regardless of the default special you're using the same applies in reverse. That is to say when you're calling Luma back to you.

My main concern with any down special that uses Luma is that well it needs Luma. Catch & Release is easily the worst of the three options with its laughable range, but at least you don't temporarily lose your down special whenever Luma dies when using either it or the default.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I won't make many deductions on custom sets until the game comes out, especially since I want to fool around with equipment too.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
With Luma warp you have no fine control over where it stops. With the default special you can immediately cease its forward momentum at any point prior to its normal stopping point by making it attack. Regardless of the default special you're using the same applies in reverse. That is to say when you're calling Luma back to you.
If you can show me a specific video clip or two of having it stop midflight with the normal nB by attacking, that would be helpful. I've never seen it do this. Rosalina's inability to act before Luma stops flying is a reason why this move is susceptible to reflection to begin with.
My main concern with any down special that uses Luma is that well it needs Luma. Catch & Release is easily the worst of the three options with its laughable range, but at least you don't temporarily lose your down special whenever Luma dies when using either it or the default.
If you're fighting someone who uses no projectiles whatsoever then Catch & Release or Guardian Luma could be at least more useful than the default depending on what you want to use it for.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My moveset will be Luma Warp, Speedy Starbit, Regular Launch Star and Guardian Luma.

I think that Luma Warp makes Rosalina a way better spacer than she is, once you learn how far out Luma goes. This will also be a powerful tool for getting through camping characters like other Rosalinas and Duck Hunt. Speedy Starbit looks like Rosalina's best projectile considering it's quick and covers a lot of ground. I'm not a huge fan of either of Rosalina's custom Up specials as I don't want to sacrifice the versatility of the move and I don't see much point in a hitbox considering the ledge mechanics. Guardian Luma still provides the ability to pick up projectiles like regular Gravitational Pull, while also having a disjointed hitbox out in the process.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Guardian Luma still provides the ability to pick up projectiles like regular Gravitational Pull, while also having a disjointed hitbox out in the process.
Are you certain about this? I'm doubtful because otherwise it would mean Guardian Luma adds functionality without taking any away in return, i.e. a direct upgrade.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Are you certain about this? I'm doubtful because otherwise it would mean Guardian Luma adds functionality without taking any away in return, i.e. a direct upgrade.
Not totally sure. However, in NinjaLink's video, Guardian Luma did pull in a bomb so perhaps it works with projectiles too.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not totally sure. However, in NinjaLink's video, Guardian Luma did pull in a bomb so perhaps it works with projectiles too.
The field around Rosalina in Guardian Luma will still drop items and catchable projectiles at her feet. It will not protect her from projectiles that cannot be caught, the job of which is now all on the Luma. This does mean that against Peach, whose only projectile is an item based one, Guardian Luma may be the best option.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The field around Rosalina in Guardian Luma will still drop items and catchable projectiles at her feet. It will not protect her from projectiles that cannot be caught, the job of which is now all on the Luma. This does mean that against Peach, whose only projectile is an item based one, Guardian Luma may be the best option.
Furthermore, the standard version may or may not pull Luma back to Rosalina. (I'm honestly not sure, I've seen people say both...can't wait until Friday so I can test some of this.) Guardian Luma obviously doesn't do that, but on the flip side we have neutral B anyway so eh.

Mega Man also has a catchable projectile in Metal Blade, and (Toon) Link has bombs. And that's all I can think of, actually.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
After having some hands on with the game and unlocking all of Rosalina's special variations, I've come to like almost all of them.

Luma Shot: I prefer this only for single player modes. Against humans I find the lag a bit limiting, and KO potential often wasted (think Din's Fire).

Luma Warp: Great. My preferred 1v1 nB slot for immediate space control with Luma. Low lag, and a very quick ranged hitbox as well that is just about unreactable. At 100+ the tiny KB the Luma Warp does can combo into Luma's Fsmash.

Power Luma Shot: This is a good one for large group play where there's a lot of chaos and you really can't be bothered with precise Luma control with everything going on around you. In 1v1s, there is a possibility to Ledge Trump into this, but this requires a huge setup and Luma Warp is preferable, imo. You just lose too much control over Luma when using this often enough to be a threat in 1v1.

Star Bits: The default SideB is one I have lukewarm feelings towards. The area of effect is rather narrow, and although the shots do penetrate multiple targets, so does the Floaty Star Bit. I can't think of a good reason to choose this one other the other options.

Floaty Star Bit: My personal favorite. Has great 1v1 tech in combination with the Luma Warp. Be mindful of the timing to recast it properly without firing a blank and this can open up a lot of possibilities for you to attack. The time you have to act along with the Star Bit's hitbox flying around is fairly substantial. It has enough presence to be effective in group play, too.

Shooting Star Bit: The fast, ranged, spammy shot. It looks good at first glance, but I honestly find all projectiles like these to be overrated unless they're ridiculously quick like Melee Falco lasers or Sheik Needles. There's almost room to support the projectile hitbox with your own attacks, which is what made the aforementioned projectiles powerful. This does have a nice use with allowing Luma to attack the opponent from afar if you're in a bind and quickly need the assistance without Luma actually being close by.

Launch Star: Great distance and controllability makes this a very versatile recovery move. The angling is hard to get down precisely (the 3DS analog is hard for that), but that doesn't stop this recovery from being great. Landing on the stage is even reasonably safe due to how much horizontal this game get with angling. There are considerations for the other variations, though.

Launch Star Plus: This is an easy-to-use recovery move. Not being able to angle this UpB sounds bad, but I still found this rather decent when I forced myself to use it. The jump is so quick and the height so high that it gives it a lot of leeway to sweetspot the edge, making it extremely difficult for an opponent to intercept it. You will have to change how you recover with this particular UpB, allowing yourself to recover from a very low point to work with its jump path. You can get away with aiming for the stage with the default Launch Star but not this move. You have to make all your recoveries by sweetspotting the edge then getting around your opponent from there, but this move does excel at grabbing the edge safely at any range it can. When recovering from the same positions around the lower blast zone, the default Launch Star is more easily intercepted due to its moderate pace.

Launch Star Attack: For recovery, this is the weakest variation. You don't jump as far, and in addition the momentum of this move stops when the kick in the attack takes place. It doesn't really allow for many, if any, combo extensions that are only possible with this attack. However, one important use is that it allows for counterattacks that are otherwise not possible. This has more horizontal range than her grab, but is about as fast. In particular this is very useful for punishing attackers OoS who wind up behind you, a position that is otherwise difficult for Rosalina to capitalize on with her A attacks. Taller characters can be hit with a Bair OoS, but not short characters like Pikachu. This will hit them in such a situation. 13 damage is certainly decent, too. Just make sure that they are open to be attacked with this otherwise you're left terribly open.

DownBs: damn it I need sleep

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I concur with @ RyokoYaksa RyokoYaksa regarding the synergy between Luma Warp and Floaty Star Bit. Luma Warp in general is a fantastic option between the fast startup and basically nonexistent cooldown, so you can basically use Luma as a trap to suddenly attack from outside your visual range. (Contrast Luma Shot, where the enemy has time to react to Luma, and Power Luma Shot, which is far too slow to pull this off.) It requires you to be very familiar with the exact distance Luma teleports, but well worth it. The Floaty Star Bit pairs well to give the opponent something to think about if the positioning isn't quite right for other moves, and lets Rosalina fish for reads and mixups.

I find myself unwilling to switch away from Launch Star and Gravitational Pull. Launch Star Plus seems to get no extra vertical height over the standard Launch Star based on my testing, which means its only advantage is the speed at which it propels Rosalina. I don't think this is an acceptable tradeoff under most circumstances unless it has some hidden invincibility frames or something. Launch Star Attack just covers less distance and doesn't let you glide after the move ends, so its use for recovery is heavily neutered. Meanwhile the utility of saying "**** you" to every projectile ever makes Gravitational Pull a very attractive choice when trying to build for a general use fighter, although it's obviously useless against anyone without a projectile. (Also, it DOES suck in the tree!)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, it's just way too hard to test for invincibility frames without a dedicated friend. Launch Star Plus is pretty idiot proof, though. Trying to precisely angle or reverse Launch Star offstage sometimes kills me from sucking. /shrug

The DownBs slot is pretty much matchup dependent.

Gravitational Pull for projectile heavy characters. By this point we've all seen the potential it has with Robin's or Pika's Thunder. Against someone with no projectiles at all you should obviously be looking at the other choices.

Catch & Release isn't an exceptionally good attack, but it has decent AoE range and air control. It's quite possible for Luma to combo out of the modest knockback this has.

Guardian Luma seems a bit hard to use, since its projectile nullifying ability is both dependent on Luma's existence and its stage position. The field around Rosalina acts the same way towards catchable projectiles like Peach's turnips as Gravitational Pull's, but no longer protects her from projectiles that cannot be caught, this now being Luma's job. Against characters that only use item based projectiles, Guardian Luma is a good option since Luma itself becomes a large, lingering hitbox while this is active. It also doubles as a supplemental recovery move since it boosts upward jump momentum for some reason.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I made this amazing "Speed Rosa" loadout today:

The increased running speed effect is actually a multiplier of 1.3, so her Speed stat actually sits at +91.

The first strike bonus grants her ten seconds of invincibility if she lands the first hit in the match.

The power reduction might seem off putting, but it actually works well here - Rosalina is so fast in the air and on the ground, that it's really hard to get a hit on her, and Luma Warp can be acted out of really quickly. Luma is unaffected by the equipment, so he's still a KO machine (and Rosalina can still KO surprisingly well).

Her combo ability is also amazing with this loadout. Grabs can be comboed out of easily even at high percents.

Also, I equipped Launch Star Plus as Rosalina doesn't need the assistance of the regular versions horizontal option, since her air speed is so good.

Also, I don't know why, but she can jump really high with this loadout. Like, top border of FD high, with just the two jumps.

Last edited:

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
I'm not a big fan of Luma Warp over Luma shot since you can't control how far away the Luma goes, sometimes shooting Luma at an approaching opponent can be good. If the opponent shields, then the Luma stops and you can use the Luma as a barrier that they have to jump over, which lets you Utilt or Usmash in certain cases.

Also, if I Fsmash an opponet off the stage, I like being able to do a long Luma Shot in order to edgeguard if I'm not close to the ledge already

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not a big fan of Luma Warp over Luma shot since you can't control how far away the Luma goes, sometimes shooting Luma at an approaching opponent can be good. If the opponent shields, then the Luma stops and you can use the Luma as a barrier that they have to jump over, which lets you Utilt or Usmash in certain cases.

Also, if I Fsmash an opponet off the stage, I like being able to do a long Luma Shot in order to edgeguard if I'm not close to the ledge already
IMO this is a good thing since this means there are valid tradeoffs involved and one option or the other isn't completely butts. I like Luma Warp for the sheer speed, really. I haven't used it against people because For Glory rules but against the AI at least I had good success popping Luma out for quick hits then recalling it. (But then again lol AI.)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Played some games against humans with customs, no equips.

I really like Luma Warp, but Luma Shot might be better for different styles.

Luma Speed Shot is just too good and probably replaces the other two in all matchups, all situations. But maybe not, who knows. But damn, it's a really solid camping projectile, and it gives you the largest range for puppeteering shenanigans. For example, while you're drifting towards the stage far offstage and your luma is sitting around in the middle of the stage, and Robin is charging elthunder literally anywhere on the stage, bam, you can make her stop doing that.

I started out using the Up B with more distance, forced angle, but I realized it's probably worse than the default one. Rosalina's fall speed is so low that she usually doesn't have trouble making the distance back to stage, so it's better to have the angle control to avoid your opponent's gimping better (often with a vertical recovery).

The default down B is the best one, but against characters without projectiles I guess catch and release is probably better. Catch and release doesn't seem better than other options ever, though, as far as i can tell, but someone in this thread said you can recover with it so that sounds cool.
Guardian Luma seems like a cool idea when you read the description and all that jazz but the hitbox doesn't cover anything an A move doesn't cover, and if you connect you only do 3%. 3% is so low it just doesn't feel worth the prelag.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My custom set is mostly the following...

Luma Shot: Well balanced, as you can control the Luma's travel distance, and it can travel pretty far.

Shooting Star Bit: A projectile that travels very far can be handy when trying to offer pressure on your opponent.

Launch Star Attack: The shorter distance may seem bad, but the ability to damage opponents is a nice trade-off.

Gravitational Pull: A move that counters most projectile games can come in handy.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The default down B is the best one, but against characters without projectiles I guess catch and release is probably better. Catch and release doesn't seem better than other options ever, though, as far as i can tell, but someone in this thread said you can recover with it so that sounds cool.
It's actually Guardian Luma that does this. I fixed that in the post where I referenced the wrong DownB.

BlackDoomShadow

Smash Rookie
I've been using the default but I've also tried Luma Warp with Floaty Star Bit. It's fun teleporting Luma right in their face and nailing them with a projectile. I have all of Rosalina's specials except Power Luma Shot.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I'm not able to use just one sole set, I like to mix up what I use. Rosalina has some great custom moves in general.

All three forms of Luma Shot in particular are fantastic. They change the way you approach and defend, and I'd be happy to use any of them. The default Star Bits is good and I'm willing to use it, but Shooting Star Bit is better, I find. Floaty Star Bit doesn't click with me, although it's not bad by any means. I usually juggle between the first two.

For recovery, I almost exclusively use the default Launch Star. The first adding hitboxes isn't worth the shorter distance in my opinion, and the second sacrificing the ability to angle for a slightly higher launch also isn't that great. Gravitational Pull is an amazing move on its own so trading it for a customisation hurts. Catch & Release isn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be coming in (the reach is bad and I can't think of an immediate use for it without forcing myself), though Guardian Luma is solid. However I would only use it where I think Gravitational Pull has zero use (that is, against a character with no projectiles of any sort).

Of the customisations that I use, I tend to mix them freely, except I like to avoid redundancies where I can. For instance, I don't think I would ever use Guardian Luma and the default Star Bits in a set together, they do pretty much the same thing and are interchangeable. Floaty Star Bit is also basically a Power Luma Shot you can use more openly.

Top Bottom