• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #69 - Platinum Stars

The fighter jets from the opening of Bayonetta 2. The Platinum Stars fly through whatever city Bayonetta's opening takes place in (I think it's suggested to be New York City, though I don't know if it's ever clarified - at the very least, it's in the United States), blissfully unaware of the various hedgehogs, witches, and gangsters fist-fighting on top of their jet, as well as the angels and demons grouping around it. Various angels appear, either on the stage or in the background - the centaur-like Acceptance will occasionally land on the plane, trying to attack the fighters - if they're defeated, then they'll drop items. (if items are off, then they won't appear) Valiance and Glamor appear in the background, chasing after the plane, though as they're massive and their attacks would likely destroy the plane, they don't actually target the fighters.

Eventually, the sky turns purple and stormy, and the plane begins to circle around a skyscraper as Gomorrah bursts out of a summoning circle. Gomorrah clings to the side of the building, watching the plane and occasionally breathing fire at it (the attack is well-telegraphed). After a while, another Bayonetta character (who it is depends on how future results go - I'm thinking Rodin or Balder, depending on which one isn't an assist) one-shots Gommorah, and the cycle starts all over again.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is a tough one - part of the reason why I like Bayonetta (and most games by Platinum) is because of how utterly insane the set pieces get. All of these stages are great, so it was hard to pick three and rank them.

1. Paradiso
2. Umbra Clock Tower
3. Fimbulventr

Another Capsule Toy Submittion, but this time about Sonic:
- Infinite (Sonic Forces)
- System Debut:
Playstation4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch
- Series: Sonic the Hedgehog
- First Appearance: Sonic Forces (7 November, 2017)

Description: Infinite is a villain in Sonic Forces. He was hired by Eggman to defeat Sonic with the power of Phantom Ruby. While before he was had power of Ruby, he was a Maskless Jackal, who didn't liked to be called Weak. And after that events, he was hired by Eggman to use it as his source of power while Eggman tried to conquer the world (despite he conquered 99% of Earth). Infinite is also considered as one of Animal-Type villains, who was defeated by Sonic and Classic Sonic.

- The Deadly Six (Sonic Lost World)
- System Debut:
Wii U
- Series: Sonic the Hedgehog
- First Appearance: Sonic Lost World (18 October, 2013)

Description: That team consisting of 6 evil Monster-like Entities aka Zetis who are in "The Deadly Six" group, that lives on Floating Sphere-shaped continent called: "Lost Hex" and they were convinced by Eggman to defeat Sonic while Sonic was exploring their World. The Monsterious Members are: Zavok, Zazz, Zor, Master Zik, Zeena, Zonom and Zor, who try to stop Sonic and Tails from Defeating Dr. Eggman. After their first defeat, they revenge on Sonic with help of Dr. Eggman, who was trying to take over the Lost Hex.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
HOLY **** I COMPLETELY FORGOT

Aight, voting is over! Let's take a look:

Fimbulventr: 4 points
Umbra Clock Tower: 8 points
Paradiso: 15 points
The Gates of Hell: 6 points
Vigrid Highway: 9 points
Platinum Stars: 18 points

And as such, the Platinum Stars will be our Bayonetta stage!

And now we tackle another part of the stage:

Job #70: Submit a tracklist for Platinum Stars

So yeah, it's time we test this out! As I mentioned before, I decided to make stage and tracklist submissions separate cause I felt like the music of this game was important enough of a factor to warrant a more organized addition process. And as such, we will now be submitting the tracklist for our newly-added stage!

Two things to keep in mind:

-As usual, keep it to a maximum number of 16 tracks
-I said this before but yes, I will indeed be allowing the inclusion of Fly Me to the Moon and Moon River

Alright, so that should be everything. We'll see how this works out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Fly Me to the Moon (Bayonetta 1)
2. Moon River (Bayonetta 2)
3. You May Call Me Father (Bayonetta 1)
4. The Greatest Jubilee (Bayonetta 1)
5. Theme of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny (Bayonetta 1)
6. One of a Kind (Bayonetta 1)
7. Riders of the Light (Bayonetta 1)
8. Red and Black (Bayonetta 1)
9. After Burner (Infinite Climax Mix) (Bayonetta 1)
10. Friendship (Bayonetta 1)
11. Let's Dance, Boys! (Bayonetta 1)
12. Tomorrow is Mine (Bayonetta 2)
13. Space Harrier (Infinite Climax Mix) (Bayonetta 1)
14. Gomorrah - Devourer of the Divine (Bayonetta 2)
15. Punch-Out!! (Bayonetta 2)
16. Aesir (Bayonetta 2)

The reasons why I picked them were because 1-4 feel like they really need to be here (in particular, I'm not sure why You May Call Me Father or The Greatest Jubilee were left out of Smash), 5-12 are already in Smash so I figure they'd fit here as well, 13 is a remix of a Sega song from a game that involves flying around, and the last three are because I felt like Smash could have used more Bayonetta 2 music. (and also, because Gomorrah appears on the stage, the final boss theme seems like it should be in there somewhere, and I figure that 15 is a nice reference)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight, how about I throw out another round of Capsule Toys

• Zana Keene
    • Series: Arrow Flash
    • First Appearance: Arrow Flash (Oct 20th, 1990)
    • System Debut: Mega Drive
So Arrow Flash was a shmup released on the Mega Drive where you played as this pretty cool lady named Zana who had to stop an Evil Alien Empire with the help of her cool transforming robot. Which speaking of, yes, that was the main gimmick of her game - at the press of a button, you could switch between a mech and a ship. This gimmick was shared by another earlier SEGA game named Transbot, but I don't know if they're part of the same series. I dunno, I just thought she looked pretty cool. The main thing that brought her to my attention was her cameo as a scorecard girl in the Switch SEGA AGES ports. That was a pretty cool deep cut. she should have been in Transformed dammit

• Eriko Christy
    • Series: Illbleed
    • First Appearance: Illbleed (Mar 29th, 2001)
    • System Debut: Dreamcast
So this ****ing game.

Illbleed was a survival horror game released for the Dreamcast in 2001 that parodied horror B-movies. It follows a group of 4 people who get guest passes to Illbleed, an amusement park created by horror movie director Michael Reynolds with attractions based on his movies, promising a prize of one hundred million dollars to anyone who can get through all of them. 3 of the 4 decide to go, but our main character, Eriko, decides to not go. That is, until the other 3 never come back from the park, forcing her to investigate the situation.

So overall, Illbleed is a Pretty Wacky Game, and it's exactly the kind of weird deep cut SEGA **** I love. Very important to note is that this game has a boss character parodying Sonic who speaks in distorted Saturn noises. His name is Zodick the Hellhog. Don't be surprised if I submit him as a boss one of these days.

• Jake Paterson
    • Series: SEGA Race TV
    • First Appearance: SEGA Race TV (Feb 2nd, 2008)
    • System Debut: Arcade
So here's another weird niche thing. SEGA Race TV was an arcade racer made for the Lindbergh arcade board (the same board that supported games such as VF5) in 2008, so it's pretty recent compared to the other two games I'm submitting Capsule Toys from. The main thing that makes this game stand out is its general presentation: the whole thing is presented as if it were a TV show, with real-time commentary going on during the races. It's also got a pretty distinct aesthetic and a buncha licensed cars. However, the main reason I'm submitting a Capsule Toy from it is because Jake - who looks to be the host of the whole thing - is the actual ****ing peak of character design. I have literally only found out about this man's existence today and I'm already convinced he's one of the greatest characters SEGA ever created. His design is incredible.

One more thing of note: apparently, this was actually the last game Yu Suzuki did for SEGA before leaving to form his own company! So it does have some legitimate historical value! Huh.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
And voting is over: Megadoomer's tracklist wins!

Moving on:

Job #71: Submit a Bayonetta assist

So here's our last Bayo job. You know how things work by now, just make sure to say who they are and what they'd do, and keep in mind once again that whoever wins will be disqualified as a playable character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #71: Rodin

1631782245577.png

Don't fix what's not broken. Rodin's already an assist character for Bayonetta in one game and I think he fits the job perfectly.

For anyone unfamiliar with him, Rodin's a demonic weaponsmith who made all of Bayonetta's weapons and has a professional relationship that borders on friendship with her. He's your shop dealing NPC in both games but is also playable in one of the side modes in Bayo 2. He also acts as a secret boss in both games.

Just like in Smash, he will use his own version of the After-Burner Kick, Stiletto and a version of Wicked Weaves where he attacks with the giant copies of his arms. Before he disappears, he will reward the summoner with a random item. If a player takes a certain amount of damage without summoning Rodin, he will enter his Supercharge mode the next time he's called, having slower, armored attacks that deal immense damage.

When entering the fight, he'll say "Abandon all hope, ye who fight me." or "Let the games begin!" or "Time to let my hair out!" if he's Supercharged. When leaving, he'll say "Drink's on the house!"

Bayonetta Assist:
Affinity/Affinities (Bayonetta)

Affinities are Species of Angels in Batonetta Series. They are armed with weapons like Staffs, Flails, etc. They appear as Enemies in this game and they attack Bayonetta. They're also enemies of Umbra Witches. They live in Heavens of Bayonetta Universe.

When summoned via Assist Timer, a random Affinity gets summoned on stage, which it flies on stage and attacks Player at the time.
The types of Affinities:
  • Angel A with Staff that gives normal damage with stab, but if Player is in the air, it can spike enemy down. Most common variant of them. (Chance: 40% to summon)
  • Angel B with Trumpet that shoots at players with orbs that give you high damage. (Chance: 22% to summon)
  • Angel C with Sousaphone that shoots a powerful Beam at players with high damage. (Chance: 16% to summon)
  • Angel D with spinning over head-Flail that after hit, it gives Player huge damage and decent knockback. It can break shields. It is 2nd most hard to defeat Affinity (Chance: 18% to be summoned)
  • Angel E with black Halberd and is in the Flames. His Halberd gives the Player Insane damage that KOes it after attack. He is most hardest Affinity to be defeated. (Chance: 4% to summon)

The every type of Affinity can be KOed.
(This Assist is very unique due to summon)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #71: Enzo

1631803924031.png

"Ayyy, Bayanedda, why they gotta make me fight, eh?"

Enzo Ferino is a seedy money-loving underground goober who acts as Bayonetta's info-broker and something of a hard-done-by stooge. He's a family man, a coward, and often finds himself in humiliating and ridiculous situations as a result of his association with the Umbra Witch.

As an assist, Enzo would be summoned to reach into his present boxes he's been holding and provide a handy item that will be sure to help out. It would be based on how the summoner is doing in the fight - healing items at high percentages, weapons at low. It would need some balancing, but one thing I think would be fun is if he could in a sense help you cheat by there being a chance at providing things you shouldn't have access to, for example if there was a Coin Battle mode perhaps he could toss some money in the air.

I also think he would have a Guile property. When summoned he tries to hide behind the fighter to fish into his present boxes, but when struck he undergoes a comical pratfall and rolls across the stage like a DK Barrel, harming anyone he runs into.

Honestly, I just think Enzo is funny and if he doesn't make it as an assist I'm at least going to make him a capsule toy.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The votes have come in - our Bayonetta assist will be the man, the myth, the legend, Enzo!

Moving on then....and this is a job I'm very excited to finally start up:

Job #72: Submit a misc. stage from a console-era SEGA IP

So it's been a long while since we did our last miscellaneous stage - when we did it, we still only had our starting 4.

We're at 15 characters now.

Yeah I think it's about time we do the second round of this. And while last time, we did arcade stuff, this time, we're covering the huge library of games SEGA developed for their consoles while they were still making them! (Stuff they made after going third-party is getting its own stage prompt later down the line)

So basically, we're talkin' stages from IP that SEGA made for their own consoles. This means the:

-SG-1000
-Master System
-Mega Drive
-Game Gear
-Saturn
-Dreamcast

And anything else inbetween. There is one exception however: in the case of acquired properties that debuted before SEGA went third-party, they just have to have debuted on anything other than arcades to be eligible.

Also no arcade ports: this is for games that were specifically made for these systems.

Also, it's important to stress this: whatever stage wins will disconfirm a playable character from their series. Please keep that in mind. I will also once again remind you to not include tracklists for your submissions. We're still getting started with this change, so I figure it's best to still drill this into our heads a couple more times. In fact, this job is actually one of the reasons I made this change: I realized our next misc stage job was coming pretty soon, and I didn't want the pressure of having to make a tracklist for your stage to limit the creative potential that comes with these prompts.

Alright, that should be everything! I hope I made the criteria clear, and I'm genuinely excited to see what you jabronis can pull out this time. So submit away!

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #72: Sunny Mountain (Snowboard Kids 2)

517B5469-9041-400C-89F4-2A57168F0C9F.png

Sunny Mountain is the very first course of Snowboard Kids 2. As expected, it’s a very basic first course: a snowy mountain with slopes that the characters can snowboard on. It’s not as high-concept as other levels in the game, which take place within tropical islands, castles, the inside of someone’s house, and even outer space, but a snowy environment would be the most accurate representation for a game about snowboarding, so I’m sticking with it.

If there’s any non-Megaten Atlus franchise that anyone growing up in the Nintendo 64 era has a decent chance at remembering, it’s probably Snowboard Kids. I couldn’t find any sales numbers, but based on anecdotal evidence and the first game receiving a direct sequel, a PS1 port, and the series seeing a revival on the DS in 2005, it did well enough to gather a cult following. As a child who got their hands on a hand-me-down N64, Snowboard Kids 2 was one of the games that came with it and while I spent a lot more time with Kirby 64 and Pokemon Snap, I still have a lot of fond memories of SK2. There’s no way in hell Snowboard Kids is getting a character on this roster, even compared to any other non-Megaten Atlus franchises, but I think giving it a stage would be an excellent way to represent the series and pay homage to some of Atlus’ lesser-known franchises. Also we don’t really have a snow-based stage yet, so we could knock that out of the way. Although the games might never have touched a Sega console, it came out during the late Saturn-early Dreamcast era and Atlus had since been acquired by Sega, so by Speed’s own rules, Snowboard Kids is eligible.

The stage would take place on one of the slopes, with the layout being at a slight angle. There’s also a log cabin and ski lift which players can jump on top of, which will be helpful for avoiding the main stage hazard: the Snowboard Kids themselves. Every so often, six of the snowboarders, Slash, Nancy, Jam, Linda, Tommy, and Wendy, will rush down the slope on their snowboards and hit anyone in the way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #72: Betsy's Room (Clockwork Knight)

1631972583309.png

Some backstory first: Clockwork Knight is a side-scrolling 2D platformer game that was released in Saturn in 1994. It's a modest example of its genre, where a toy soldier named Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III tries to rescue a toy princess. While the game got some criticism for not doing anything unique, it still has its fans for being a solid title in its own right and its graphics.

In this game, the opening stage of Clockwork Knight will take the shape of a flat table that has the fighters (who are scaled down to minuscule size) duke it out on top of it. The stage has building blocks as hard walls and books as soft platforms. At the beginning of each battle, the layout of the stage is randomly decided, but the sides and ceiling of it are always unobstructed.

I think it's fair to say Clockwork Knight is kinda down there among SEGA's other platformers in terms of popularity but it has a pretty unique aesthetic (even if it's not the only toy-themed retro game the company has) so I'd like to see it having a stage.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I cannot believe Enzo won but I am so pleased. Anyway...

Job #72: Graveyard Concert (Mr. Bones)
1631995503458.png

1631995569479.png

Mr. Bones is an unusual little game for the Sega Saturn by Ed Anunziata, the creator of Ecco The Dolphin among other famously strange and experimental classics. I actually considered an Ecco stage, and I encourage someone else to submit it, but I wanted to get a really fun deep cut in as well.

It's a game where you play as a reincarnated skeleton trying to stop a sorcerer from filling the world with evil by fighting off the rest of his skeleton army, and in between strange platforming levels you get into a sick rock concert with music by Ronnie Montrose who following his passing was described as "one of the most influential guitarists in American hard rock".

I think that this stage could be super fun and super unique, with a hard-rocking soundtrack and grim and creepy but wacky aesthetic, and I would LOVE to pay as much tribute to Ed Anunziata as I can in this game because he's such a bizarre and fascinating creator. Again, I'd love to also see an Ecco stage, but let's slide this along the table. I really do respect how experimental Sega has let themselves be over the years. I highly recommend checking out a longplay of this game - it's hella strange and fascinating as a result.

By the way, stages deconfirm characters, I know (and really, I doubt Mr. Bones would be playable in any version of this roster) but does it deconfirm assists? I would still love to enter him as an assist once we get to the misc adding phases, same with Ecco and others.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
By the way, stages deconfirm characters, I know (and really, I doubt Mr. Bones would be playable in any version of this roster) but does it deconfirm assists? I would still love to enter him as an assist once we get to the misc adding phases, same with Ecco and others.
Nope, they don't. And the same goes vice versa. So basically, using our current major misc. content as an example:

-We can still add an OutRun assist even with its stage
-We can still add stages from Virtua Cop or Mushiking even with their assists

Playable characters are where these properties are actually taken off the table

Job 72:
Virtua Cop city (Virtua Cop)

It takes place in City from original Virtua Cop and it's a flat layout like KoF stadium in Smash, but its a City and there are walking People in Background. The Hazard is Reticle that detects fighters and shoots at them, giving 60% Instant KO.
BETTER WATCH OUT FOR RETICLES OR YOULL GET ACCIDENTALLY KILLED!

(Virtua Cops Assist is disabled on this Stage, because of Avoiding Confusion of Stage Hazard and Assist Characters)

The Inclusion of that Stage would be cool, it would be like Duck Hunt Stage of this Game, where Reticle Attacks you and you need to avoid it before your sudden Death. It would also challenging for Gamer People on Competitive if there wasn't a Disable Stage Hazard feature.
We need more Virtua Cop representation in BATTLE OF AGES, not only Assist.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 72:

It takes place in City from original Virtua Cop and it's a flat layout like KoF stadium in Smash, but its a City and there are walking People in Background. The Hazard is Reticle that detects fighters and shoots at them, giving 60% Instant KO.

(Virtua Cops Assist is disabled on this Stage, because of Avoiding Confusion of Stage Hazard and Assist Characters)

The Inclusion of that Stage would be cool, it would be like Duck Hunt Stage of this Game, where Reticle Attacks you and you need to avoid it before your sudden Death. It would also challenging for Gamer People on Competitive if there wasn't a Disable Stage Hazard feature.
Hey, Virtua Cop is an arcade game, so it isn't eligible for this job

Job 72:

Frick, I accidentally misread that I need to submit Virtu Cop stage.

Hey, Virtua Cop is an arcade game, so it isn't eligible for this job
🤦‍♂️🤡

NO CLOSING SUBMITTIONS!!

Job
72:
Columns (Columns)

The layout is a High Rectangle box and Walk Platform beyond of it, where players are inside of it. The Hazard is Falling Rick's that create Explosive Columns that give you KO with breakout from Column Box. The walls of Box are destructible.

The Inclusion of it would be cool, since we need an Obscure representation for BATTLE OF AGES, like Columns, which is SEGA's Forgotten Franchise that would give it revival due to this Game. It would be very unique stage that looks promising for Players and its competitive community.

(You happy now? I posted Console-based stage. See? Ugh, life is so hard)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
NO CLOSING SUBMITTIONS!!

Job
72:
Columns (Columns)

The layout is a High Rectangle box and Walk Platform beyond of it, where players are inside of it. The Hazard is Falling Rick's that create Explosive Columns that give you KO with breakout from Column Box. The walls of Box are destructible.

The Inclusion of it would be cool, since we need an Obscure representation for BATTLE OF AGES, like Columns, which is SEGA's Forgotten Franchise that would give it revival due to this Game. It would be very unique stage that looks promising for Players and its competitive community.

(You happy now? I posted Console-based stage. See? Ugh, life is so hard)
......My guy, my dude

I hate to tell you this

But Columns is also an arcade game

Top Bottom