• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm personally about Action Games.

Y'know man, imagine how would SEGA Smash roster look like if we had a Action Game Rep.
Action Game reps with be cool, especially if they were repped by NiGHTS (Althought, we have a Boss), Altered Beast or Golden Axe as Playables.
Action Games have Sub-genre like Platforming like YoshiAndToad said earlier.
Don't forget that Action Genre also has other subgenres like Fighting repped by Akira, Shooter by Opa-Opa or even Beat'em ups that were repped as Alex Stone.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m gonna go for the biased option and pick RPGs as the main genre prompt I wanna see just because Sega has so many cool options to choose from. Even if we already have a decent selection of RPG franchises repped such as Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia, and Persona (also Yakuza if you take Ichiban into account), that’s still just barely scratching the surface of what we could pull from. Phantasy Star is the obvious pick that comes to mind, but some other noteworthy franchises that come to mind include the Shining series, Valkyria Chronicles, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Rent-A-Hero, and Wonder Boy (depending on how you wanna classify Monster World). And this isn’t even going into Atlus’ non-Persona offerings. On that end, we have Etrian Odyssey, 13 Sentenials, and of course mainline Shin Megami Tensei. There’s probably a few games I forgot to mention, but we’d be here all day if I listed everything so I Won’t.

Of course, that doesn’t mean other genres wouldn’t make for good prompts. Platformers are an equally diverse genre that have a ton of interesting picks (Monkey Ball, Gunstar Heroes, the aforementioned Wonder Boy, etc.) and I can see some potential in a beat-em-up prompt. I think a good genre prompt should be specific enough to where every character fits within a cohesive theme and what qualifies can be easily defined, but also broad enough to where we have a healthy diversity of characters. On that front, I think RPGs and Platformers are the two best genres to get specific prompts.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, SO

Do keep in mind that discussion periods don't have to last as long as regular jobs, and it seems like we've already gotten some good discussion outta this. So I'm closing this now - thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Now then, onto our next job:

Job #63: Submit any SEGA character from a new series

Yeah you ****ing heard me right.

So after this, we're going back to more specific character-related jobs, but I thought it'd be fun if every once in a while, we did a job where you could just submit anyone from a series not on this roster. Y'know, something to fill out the roadmap and knock a few big series outta the way! I'm also just interested in seeing what kind of lineup we end up with when there are barely any restrictions as for who to submit.

So yeah, we're gonna chill out a bit here and allow for literally anyone from a series that this roster doesn't feature yet! As that implies, however, there is one restriction: no additional reps. Just characters from new series.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Alright, it's time to re-submit (betting that Wizeman's inclusion as a boss helps).

Job #63: New Series Character - NiGHTS (NiGHTS into Dreams)

View attachment 322590

Well now, let's get forward to my another most wanted character (besides Joe Musashi and Kurumi) for this project, who has close relations to Sonic (like Opa-Opa with Alex) thanks to same developers (Sonic Team's Naoto Ohshima & Yuji Naka), NiGHTS themselves (or him/her as they were referred with male pronouns in a storybook and Journey of Dreams, but you guys are open to say otherwise).

The game's plot involve two teenagers from a city called Twin Seeds, Claris Sinclair and Elliot Edwards, who fight to save the world of dreams, Nightopia, from the evil nightmare forces led by Wizeman the Wicked, with the help of a mysterious, titular Nightmaren being themselves as they face various characters such as NiGHTS' rival & sibling, Reala (potential second rep/clone), Jackle (another assist), etc.

There's also a sequel, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, which was released on Nintendo Wii in 2007, with William "Will" Taylor and Helen Cartwright as child deuteragonists instead. Here's two A-Rank walkthroughs for both installments if you want to check them out.

The game received critical acclaim for its beautiful graphics, soundtrack, atmosphere and impressive gameplay. While the series may seem fairly obscure by today's standards, it's still popular enough to appear on several lists of the greatest games of all time and Archie also published the comic book series, alongside a role in the crossover Worlds Unite. NiGHTS was also referenced lots of times and even appeared in multiple games like SEGA Superstars/Tennis, All-Stars Racing/Transformed (as a flagman and a racer respectively) and Sonic games, with the blue hedgehog himself in Christmas NiGHTS. A mini-game is also playable by linking the Game Boy Advance to GameCube via Phantasy Star Online and Billy Hatcher.

Plus, it was reported that Mario and Zelda's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, who is a fan of the series, wished he had worked on the game. And Steven Spielberg himself, being the first person who played the game when he visited SEGA and used an experimental version of the new controller, which was called the "Spielberg Controller" during development.

A reason why I decided to submit NiGHTS was because they're not only interesting for their legacy, but also diversity in clever ways, as they're both genderless and probably the fifth "cartoon" character alongside Sonic, Eggman, Alex & Opa-Opa; compared to "realistic" ones. It was also their 25th anniversary a month ago as the game was first released on SEGA Saturn (would represent the console's "overseas side" with Sakura's being Japanese) in July 5th, 1996 (like how I suggested Eggman the exact day of his and Sonic's 30th anniversary).

Anyway, for their moveset, NiGHTS has many stuff to go with, such as their signature flight ability, acrobatics (which also may lead into a command grab), Drill Dash (self-explanatory) and Paraloop (a small vortex which sucks in opponents and attracts items). Because of this and flying mechanics being prominent in their series, NiGHTS will also get four air-dashes, extra jumps and has an air-oriented playstyle (yet different from Opa-Opa), meaning that while they're maybe weak on the ground, they will be absolutely devastating when in the air. Maybe they would even float instead of standing, much like Dark Samus?

They can also dualize by fusing into one with a Visitor (if chosen as a special move) or even split into two if more than one Visitor are assimilated (which I can see for a potential All-Star Move as most fan movesets indicate). Their arsenal includes a Dream Flute, which NiGHTS may use to summon Nightopians as a orbiting shield, Ideyas to use them for various effects/buffs (which may also work as a item alongside Dash Ball), and Persona Masks (sounds familiar?) to shape-shift into various things such as a dolphin, a rocket and a giant dragon.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm resubmitting one of my previous nominations, albeit updated a little:

Job #63: AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)

.AiAi.png

AiAi is the protagonist of Monkey Ball, an arcade game released in 2001, who appeared in all, over 20, games in his series. He's a resident of the Jungle Island, who along with his friends and family, fights against the evil Dr. Bad-Boon for peace, justice, and bananas.

Super Monkey Ball is a unique platformer series as the players control the stage rather than the characters themselves. Super Monkey Ball is one of SEGA's most popular and successful series and is still going on strongly to this day. In fact, the latest game in the series is actually bringing together other SEGA characters as playable guests, so far including Sonic, Tails, Beat, Kiryu and Morgana. What better way to return the favor by allowing him to duke it out with them on a platform fighter?

AiAi himself would also be a fitting addition to a frantic platform fighter with his distinct marble roll (which can open up to act as wings) and many items/power-ups he can bring from his games' many mini-games and side modes, such as boxing gloves, wooden swords, mallets, water hoses and of course, bananas. He'll also bring a unique design to the table compared to the rest which leans towards human characters so far.

Job #63
Vectorman (Vectorman)

Vectorman is a Robotic Character, who from year 2049 and he is the Protagonist of the game of same name. He defends the World from Evil forces like Warhead Raster or Evil Widow Queen.

Vectorman is Futuristic Action Platformer game, where you control Vectorman and Fight other bosses in Futuristic world to finally encounter Raster and Evil Widow Queen.
He maybe wasn't made by Sega, but he is considered as SEGA character, since an Obscure "Orbot" is a Sega's Classic Character from 90's. He got only 2 games, but they're SEGA's picked Classic games. In fact, his games were included in SEGA's Genesis Collection as Playable games.

Vectorman himself would be like Min-Min mixed with Sukapon with long-ranged attacks and projectiles (Mostly lasers). He is also perfectly fits to Platform Fighting game as Futuristic Action-Platformer rep, who has cool and Strong moves that they originate from his 2 games and even Original Moves that would fit for a "Green Heroic Orbot".
His design would be Redesigned like Pit in Brawl with more realistic robotic proportions mixed with original design. In fact, he would be also "Unexpected pick" for the Game.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
If I had some more time on my hands, I would've done a neat writeup on Bahn for Fighting Vipers. Unfortunately, seems like that will be reserved for next time. In the meantime I'll use an older post of mine to get a more iconic face in.

Will it finally be his time to grind and shine? Resubmitting Beat!

Job #63: New Series Character - Beat (Jet Set Radio)

Job #49
Beat - Jet Set Radio (June 29, 2000)

View attachment 324263
Swag incarnate, Beat from the Jet Set Radio series joins the fray! I'm fairly aware I'm not a regular in this thread but I do eye the developments from time to time and I'm frankly surprised this man isn't still in yet.

So for those unaware, who is this rad boy you're looking at? Well this man's name is Beat and he is the main face and protagonist from Jet Set Radiooooooo. There have been many games over the years that focused on creativity, individuality and fighting the establishment, but I believe it's fair to say that they all started with the release of Jet Set Radio back in the summer of 2000. Developed by Smilebit and published by Sega, Jet Set Radio was released on the Dreamcast, and still sticks out as an icon of that particular era. The game received particular praise for its unique soundtrack (god bless Hideki Naganuma), which features hip-hop, funk and jazz songs that appear to use sound samples from past video games, TV and movies. The game allowed players to engage in tricks like rail grinding and wall riding, elements of the game that Beat would most likely bring over with him in a Smash-like Sega game, and became quite the critical success. The game had tons of replay value too, due to the particular game modes like trials.

Taking place in the futuristic city of Tokyo-to, players take control of various graffitiing roller skaters, some of those you can see vibing in the gif above. They are contacted by a radio DJ called Professor K, who tasks them with spray painting art across the city to mark their gang's territory in an effort to bring freedom and creativity back to the city. Players travel through different districts inspired by real world cities such as Tokyo and New York. Plenty of locations we can pull from for a stage. And as for possible assists? There are Beat's team members, Professor K, and the infamous antagonist Captain Onishima, among many others.

Jet Set Radio is a game of quite high legacy and praise as it is one of the games that kickstarted SEGA's venture into the 21st century into action with the dreamcast, heck, Beat is even in both Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sega Superstars Tennis. So I believe he has valid arguments for his inclusion in yet another Sega crossover game.

Also, if you weren't aware yet, Jet Set Radio has a banging soundtrack. Take a listen:
A fun fact to end this submission off with: Jet Set Radio was developed by a team of fewer than 25 people. Though that's not all, this was a team whose average age was under 25 years old. In fact, the director, Masayoshi Kikuchi, who had no prior directing experience, initially had difficulty leading the team, relying on trial and error as development progressed. Though despite this, Jet Set Radio was finished after only 10 months of development with huge success. So not only would Beat represent yet another cornerstone of the Dreamcast, but he would represent the new and unorthodox ideas of the youth as well. And well, let's be real, this dude looks like the go-to character for any teenager who picks up the game.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m just gonna re-submit Ryo here because god dammit, he deserves it!

Job #63: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)

View attachment 322595
Ryo Hazuki is the main protagonist of the Shenmue series. After witnessing his father being murdered by Lan Di, he swears revenge and begins searching for clues on the wereabouts of his father’s murderer.

At the time of Shenmue’s release, it was considered the most expensive video game ever produced and helped pioneer a lot of mechanics that would become staples of big-budget open world games after its release. It helped popularize quick-time events, it featured a day and night cycle, and featured one of the most detailed open worlds of any game released at the time. Regardless of how well you think Shenmue has aged, you can’t deny it was innovative as hell and helped lay the groundwork for big-budget sandbox games, including the Yakuza series. It’s not like the franchise has been forgotten either. Shenmue 3 released two years ago (albeit to mixed reception) and the series is getting an anime adaptation funded by Adult Swim. Plus we literally lifted the capsule toy collectables from Shenmue, it’d be weird if Ryo wasn’t in at this point.

While some might say Ryo would be derivative of the other brawlers on this roster, namely Kiryu and the Virtua Fighter characters, I think Ryo has enough to pull from to make him stand out. He has a ton of techniques that are unique to Shenmue, and if you really wanted to get creative you could pull some stuff from the life simulator aspects of the game. I mean who wouldn’t want to see a forklift super move?

On the subject of Shenmue’s relationship to Virtua Fighter and Yakuza, if Ryo were to get in, he’d be the missing link between Akira and Kiryu. Aside from both Virtua Fighter and Shenmue coming from Yu Suzuki, the first Shenmue started development as a Virtua Fighter RPG for the Saturn with Akira as the protagonist. Yakuza would then go on and take quite a bit of influence from Shenmue, from the structure of its sanbox world, its combat, and even featuring playable Sega arcade games. I just think it’s neat how these franchises influenced each other.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Third time's the charm, maybe? I really want Bayonetta to be in this game, so I'll resubmit her.

Job 25: Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Since I assume most of us play Smash Bros., I feel like most of you are aware of who Bayonetta is even if you haven't played her games. A witch who hunts angels, Bayonetta takes seemingly everything about the Devil May Cry games up to eleven, resulting in her series consisting some of the best action games out there. The Smash Bros. games only scratch the surface of what she's capable of, though for simplicity's sake, it's probably best if she sticks with her basic moves. (her attacks using the four pistols - two in her hands and two attached to her heels)

The Bayonetta franchise might be something of a cult classic, but for me, Bayonetta 2 was one of the main reasons to buy a Wii U, and it must have done well enough considering that Bayonetta 3 is on the way as a Switch exclusive. (eventually - it's been three and a half years, and all we have to go on is a teaser, though hopefully this E3 will change that)

Bayonetta is stylish, ridiculously over-the-top, and a ton of fun to play as. I feel like any of the Sega characters that are in Smash should probably be here as well, but while a case could probably be made for a few Persona characters aside from Joker (the Persona 3 protagonist, Yu Narukami, Jack Frost, one of the Velvet Room attendants...), Bayonetta seems like the best option to represent the games that Platinum Games made while working for Sega. (no disrespect to Jack from MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns or Sam from Vanquish)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is quite the difficult prompt. There's loads of characters who quite frankly would be great to see and lots of one off titles I'd want to see.

There's a lot I want to put forward including the excellent Treasure masterpiece run and gun game Gunstar Heroes and the rarely talked about Master System game Psycho Fox who I think would make for a great stance type fighter swapping between his different animal forms...but still, this is a game about celebrating Sega's history after all, so I feel like I need to at least submit this once:

Job #63: Masami (Games No Kanzume)
Masami-Games-No-Kanzume.png

So okay, who the hell is Masami? She's certainly not very well known, so it might be best to start with a brief history lesson:

Masami is the female 'host' of a series of games collections known as Game no Kanzume (or Games Can), named after the unique game case they came in:
Sega Games Can.jpg

These 'Games Can' titles were a physical collection of Sega Meganet games found normally for download on SEGA Channel, a streaming service that was far ahead of it's time, releasing in 1994, most likely before streaming services were really all that viable.

Masami, as the 'host' of these titles could work in a few different ways:
  • Throwing out the 'cans' to summon a small selection of assist characters to aid her as part of her moveset.
  • 'Downloading' the game data allowing her to temporarily take on the form of one of her hosted games protagonists.
I'm envisioning her as a Mr. Game and Watch or Duck Hunt style character with lots of references to the titles within her collection. For those not in the know, Masami's hosted games are as follows:
  • Flicky: A game in which you control the titular Flicky, rescuing baby birds known as 'Chirps' from cats known as 'Tiger', with Flicky being able to throw hammers, pots and the like at the cats to temporarily stun them as the birds make their way to safety.
  • Doki Doki Penguin Land: A game in which you play as Overbite, a father penguin attempting to get an egg down a series of obstacles to his wife without breaking it. Along the way he'll need to drop boulders on polarbears or trapping them to prevent them attacking his egg.
  • Teddy Boy Blues: A game in which you play as the titular Teddy Boy, a child armed with a machine gun which when fired will shrink the opponent, capturing them. Think a bit like a Pokemon Trainer capturing a Pokemon with a pokeball...only using a gun to turn them into a ball.
  • 16t: A game in which you play as Apple Gaikichi. Apple is an escaped convict, whose only means of defence is throwing 16 ton weight atop his enemies crushing them in a bloody mess. We'd probably want to tone the gore levels down on this one.
  • Paddle Fighter: A bizarre air hockey title in which the player characters involved have the ability to use superpowers and steal the opponents power like they're Kirby. The main character of this title is Binbowie, whose starting power is the 'Suction Paddle Shot', drawing the puck to them and shooting it forward with great force.
  • Hyper Marbles: A marble game in which the player attempts to eliminate the opponents marbles by knocking them into electrical fences whilst avoiding getting eliminated themselves. There's no main character for this title, so Masami would simply summon or 'download' into a giant marble and run the opponent down.
  • Aworg: Hero in the Sky: A game in which you play the titular Aworg, a sort of sentai hero who resembles Samus Aran. They fly through the use of a pair of fans that they rapidly flap. Aworg is capable of attacking with sparkly wind currents, but the blast comes from behind them, making players have to turn to deal decent damage.
  • Fatal Labyrinth: A rogue-like/mystery dungeon style RPG title featuring a main character known as Trykaar. He is armed with a sword and shield.
  • Robot Battler: An action game that has the player create and customise a robot and battle it out with others of it's kind. The robot in question can fire missiles, bullets and launch devastating punches.
  • Pyramid Magic: A platform-puzzle game in which players play as a young explore searching through a maze like pyramid, picking up and shattering stone blocks with their kicks, collecting keys and destroying mummies.
  • Putter Golf: A...well, it's a golf game. Masami could either pull a Peach and whip out the golf clubs or turn herself into a golf ball and fire herself at the opponent.
  • Medal City: A table game consisting of Poker, Blackjack, and Slots in which the goal is to collect 100,000 medals. Honestly this one might not be appropriate, but I'm adding it here in case anyone has some cunning ideas with this one.
  • Phantasy Star II: Text Adventures: Interestingly(and possibly controversially), these adventure titles contain the backstories of all the party members of Phantasy Star II. We see the history of Rolf, Nei, Rudo, Hugh, Anna, Amy, Kain and Shir in the events that lead to them banding together. Each character had their own stand alone adventure.
Phew, with that out the way there's a lot of titles to draw from for moveset inspiration, and theoretically everyone here could pick a few of these titles and submit completely different movesets for her as a result.

Masami isn't completely forgotten by Sega themselves either as she also appears in Nintendo Switch's Sega Ages line as one of the scorecard girls and also appears as an unlockable scorecard girl in 'Sega Ages: Columns II' in the jewel case:
Masami-Jewel-Case.png

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 63

Hatsune Miku

A Virtual Singer and creator of Harry Potter and Minecraft

Hatsune Miku and Vocaloid is a virtual musical artist program that burst onto the scene in the 2000's and has become an artform of it's own with each voice having a distinct personality and character, and each character have been used in dozens of songs, manga and Video Games.

Hatsune Miku was technically not created by SEGA but SEGA has the ever lucrative Exclusive Licensing Rights!

Hatsune Miku herself has had a successful series of Video Games in the form of the Project DIVA series and she has appeared in many other SEGA games like Persona 4 Dancing All Night.

In terms of a moveset, A Rhythm and song based moveset as well as using tools she is commonly depicted with would be a great starting point

TL:DR, Miku Good

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 63

Hatsune Miku

A Virtual Singer and creator of Harry Potter and Minecraft

Hatsune Miku and Vocaloid is a virtual musical artist program that burst onto the scene in the 2000's and has become an artform of it's own with each voice having a distinct personality and character, and each character have been used in dozens of songs, manga and Video Games.

Hatsune Miku was technically not created by SEGA but SEGA has the ever lucrative Exclusive Licensing Rights!

Hatsune Miku herself has had a successful series of Video Games in the form of the Project DIVA series and she has appeared in many other SEGA games like Persona 4 Dancing All Night.

In terms of a moveset, A Rhythm and song based moveset as well as using tools she is commonly depicted with would be a great starting point

TL:DR, Miku Good
Hey so, just for the record, Miku is being considered a "guest" character relative to this project, so she isn't eligible for this job. Sorry

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Hey so, just for the record, Miku is being considered a "guest" character relative to this project, so she isn't eligible for this job. Sorry
Gotcha, I wasn't entirely sure what her status was.

I'm Resubmitting Football Manager

Job 49

The Football Manager

A God of football.

Football Manager is a franchise that started in 2005 and it represents a facet of SEGA that doesn't have much representation, Their Western developed games, Things like Total War and Company Of Heroes.

In terms of moveset he could use Soccer moves and plays and even summon players to do his dark bidding.

The Football Manager is a character that has appeared in the past in Sonic and SEGA all-stars

Also wouldn't it just be kinda funny?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I guess I'll throw in my own submission. The thing is, until now I've only really ever submitted characters for "they're a big character and it'd be weird if they missed out on this vote" reasons - I never really got to submit a character I myself really wanted. So I thought that hey, I think it's time I get to self-indulge a bit and shill one of my personal wants. And of my top 3 most wanted characters that aren't in "probably getting in anyway" status, I think Temjin can wait and I honestly don't feel like I can do Nei justice - which only leaves one character. Guys, gals and non-binary pals....

The man.

The myth.

The legend.

I said I'd submit him one day, and I'll make good on that promise.

Job #63 - New Series Character: Rikiya Busujima from Zombie Revenge/The House of the Dead
Busujima.jpg

So first things first, a quick summary of House of the Dead:

If you have enough of an interest in SEGA to participate in this thread, then I'd honestly be very surprised if you'd never heard of House of the Dead. Among SEGA's stable of properties, it stands out as one of their most iconic and popular properties that aren't, like, Sonic/Megami Tensei/Yakuza/Puyo/Phantasy Star/Sakura Wars-level big. Having graced us with zombie shooty since the 90s, it spans multiple games, helped usher in the light gun shooter revival of the 90s along with other franchises like Time Crisis and SEGA's very own Virtua Cop, is about to get two remakes, has made consistent appearances in SEGA crossovers, and was even big enough to get its own ****ty live-action movie. So yeah, pretty big! And when looking at this roster and the series that aren't in yet, I'd absolutely put HotD among the ones that have Gotta Be In.

Particularly relevant to here, however, is the fact that House of the Dead actually has quite the amount of spinoffs with followings of their own. There's Typing of the Dead, House of the Dead: Overkill, Loving Deads, and probably the least remembered of all of these:
Zombie_Revenge_flyer2_front.jpg

So just what the hell is Zombie Revenge and who the hell is Busujima for that matter?

Zombie Revenge is a 3D beat-em-up that was released by SEGA in 1999 for the NAOMI arcade board and later the Dreamcast too. The story revolves around a goverment experiment to "recycle" the dead for military purposes, nicknamed "U.D.S.", standing for "Undead Soldiers" (the above flyer isn't the most accurate). Suddenly, one year later, a zombie outbreak is unleashed upon the city, with no one knowing where it came from. And as such, it's up to three AMS agents - Stick Breitling, Linda Rotta and our man Busujima - to save the world and figure out who's behind this.

Rikiya himself is a Japanese man (most likely in his 30s) with a mysterious past, who employs his own style of martial arts in battle. Despite what his appearance and fighting style might suggest, he's actually the most collected of the trio (an example of this is when (ZR ending spoilers) Stick begins to feel shame over his father's actions and the role they played in the main villain's motivations, Busujima immediately tells him not to worry about it and that it's in the past. What a bro!). He also seems to not fear death and have the ability to sense evil in others, and the bizarre implants in his body and the properties of some of his moves have led some to theorize that he might actually be a cyborg of sorts.

Zombie Revenge can basically be described as a House of the Dead game, but with the gameplay of something like Spikeout or Dynamite Cop instead of the series' traditional rail shooter gameplay. So you don't just shoot the zombies, you also get to beat the **** outta them! Honestly...this game fascinates me. It's such an interesting part of the franchise's history and it's got some genuinely really cool stuff. This era of SEGA arcade games had a lot of cool weird ****, and Zombie Revenge is the perfect representation of that.

Though.....why pick Busujima as the HotD rep for this game? I understand that having such a relatively obscure character represent the franchise seems like a hard sell, so I'll try my best to explain why he'd be my personal choice:

So first of all, unlike the rest of the franchise, Zombie Revenge is a beat-em-up. Which means that any characters from the game would have an easier time transitioning to a fighting game. While I do believe that the mainline characters can be brought over to a fighting game, it just so happens that we have an alternative option that fits in more. But even then.....the game's cast is pretty damn obscure. At that point, wouldn't it just be more worth it to go for someone from another part of the franchise anyway? Well, yeah, I'd say that would be the case....for Stick and Linda. But not my man Rikiya. For two reasons:

A. Compared to the other two members of the trio who frankly aren't super interesting....Rikiya is cool as ****. And I think it's that "cool" factor to him that makes it so that even if he isn't the most recognizable character in the series, he's at least justifiable as a "fun deep cut" sorta pick. Our roster's pretty normal so far, and that's perfectly fine given we're not even halfway through yet, but I do think that sooner or later we'll have to start infusing this roster with some Unconventional Pick Energy (TM). And I think this man would be a great pick! Overall, I feel like even if he isn't the most well-known HotD character, he still makes for a fun left-field pick and he has enough of a cool and standout design to make people that pick up this hypothetical game but don't know him go "bro who the **** is this dude he looks cool as ****".

B. And even if he's not the most recognizable HotD character...he's honestly the only character from Zombie Revenge specifically that I still see people talk about. Like, there have been occasions where I brought him up in places that aren't really dedicated SEGA fan circles or anything (including this very website) and it shocked me to see some people actually recognize him. That's not to say that he's this ultra-iconic superstar, because he isn't, but I think the fact that he's, again, pretty much the only ZR character people still remember does help him! Even if the story and some of the marketing gave off the impression of trying to push Stick as The Main Dude, at this point it's pretty safe to say Busujima has basically become the "face" of Zombie Revenge - well, as much of a face as you can be for a game like this anyway. And we'll get back to this later.

Next point: moveset potential. In my honest opinion, Busujima would have the coolest moveset of any potential House of the Dead character. Of course, he has martial arts as we've already discussed, but he can also pull off some flashy and over-the-top stuff. Not only is there the usual punchy-kicky stuff, of course, but he also has some ki attacks where he sends out energy blasts, a couple of which can do such things as make you explode or set you on fire. He can also perform leglocks. So yeah, pretty cool. But that's barely scratching the surface. If you've been paying attention, you'll remember that Zombie Revenge is a beat-em-up. And what do beat-em-ups have? Pickup items. And this game in particular has a really good arsenal to pull from. So if we also pull from this, which I don't think there's any reason for us to not do so, besides the regular handgun which he already could use, Busujima now also has access to such things as dual handguns, machine guns, guitar cases that somehow shoot out bullets (I'm assuming there's machine guns inside of them but I don't think that's ever been officially confirmed), shotguns, flamethrowers, hatchets, drills, grenades, landmines, tasers, chain guns, laser guns, etc. So yeah - a lotta moveset potential there. And the general concept of an over-the-top martial artist who also has an entire arsenal of (mostly) firearms at his disposal sounds like it could make for an incredible moveset.

Though there is another problem - Busujima comes from a spinoff, so he might not be the best representation of what HotD really has to offer, right? Ehhhhh, I think he still does a pretty good job, all things considered, because Zombie Revenge isn't drastically different from the mainline HotD stuff in terms of tone and premise. It definitely has its own style, but it can still be accurately described as just HotD but you can also punch the zombies. It has just as much spooky, just as much shooty, and yes, it even features the same brand of absolutely beautiful voice acting. It does also have some overt connections - it's been mentioned before that the main trio are all agents of the AMS, but even besides that, the game's penultimate area is actually just Dr. Curien's mansion. So he still works well in that regard, because he comes from a part of the franchise that has enough in common with the mainline games to feel like it still represents the franchise pretty well, while also doing something cooler than your average HotD protagonist.

Which kinda leads us to another thing. Usually, the big divide between HotD reps in these rosters is between Agent G - who's the most iconic protagonist in the franchise - and Zobio and Zobiko - who have gained attention for their surprise appearance in All-Stars Racing. Usually the big problem here is that Agent G represents the series better but isn't as interesting, meanwhile the zombie couple would make for a more unique fighter, but wouldn't do the best job at representing the franchise aside from the fact that they're zombies. Rikiya solves this issue by basically acting as a middle ground. He's the compromise - he's more interesting design and moveset-wise than G while still doing a better job at representing what the franchise is all about than the zombie couple does.

And now here's one last thing - and I believe this point in particular is very important and is the main thing that launches him into being a legitimate contender for the House of the Dead spot: SEGA haven't forgotten about him. Yes - despite coming from an obscure-ass spinoff that never got any sequels, SEGA somehow still acknowledge this man's existence. The most notable example of this is probably his surprise appearance as a solo unit in the first Project X Zone, which I imagine is where most of the familiarity with him comes from. And in addition to that, there's also his appearances in SEGA's 60th anniversary celebrations. First off, remember that absolutely huge collection of pfps SEGA pushed out in celebration of this event? Of the three House of the Dead icons, Busujima is one of them, with the other two being boss zombies from the franchise. So of all the human characters, he's the one they picked. In addition, I managed to find this tweet that has a big-ass collection of characters in celebration of their 60th, and guess who's there representing HotD--
Now, is this to say that Rikiya is actually the face of the franchise, or that he's somehow more important than G or Curien or whoever? No, because, well, he really isn't. However, the fact that he was consistently chosen as a representative for the series in a milestone celebration that SEGA made a huge deal out of does show that he's at least a viable choice if we want to have some more unconventional picks here and there. What this shows is simply that were Battle of AGES to be a real game made by SEGA, he could legit end up on their radar for inclusion.

So TL;DR:

-Comes from a part of the franchise that gives him an easier time transitioning to a fighting game, while also making for a fun deep cut and being pretty much the only character that's still talked about from said part of the franchise
-Insane moveset potential
-Despite coming from a spinoff, it's a spinoff that has enough in common with the mainline stuff that he still does a good job at showing what the series is ultimately all about
-Acts as a perfect middle ground in the usual divide between HotD reps
-SEGA themselves still remember him
-He's based

So there we go! That's my galaxy-sized essay on why this obscure House of the Dead character should get in a fighting game that doesn't even exist. At least if he doesn't win now, I'll have this writeup ready for future occasions!

Oh yeah, it's also worth mentioning that Zombie Revenge had a couple alts for each character, so on top of all this, he's also got some snazzy alt potential:
BusujimaAltSkin1.jpg

BusujimaAltSkin2.jpg

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. AiAi
2. Ryo Hazuki
3. Bayonetta

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Dammit I stopped getting notifs for this thread, I'm mad. I wanted to submit Nei!

Anyway...

1. Football Manager
2. Bayonetta
3. Ryo Hazuki

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Masami
2. Football Manager
3. NiGHTS (shameless self-vote)

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
  1. NiGHTS - a great Sega Saturn rep, as of right now we only really have Sakura Shinguji, as I personally don't really count VF as they first released in arcades. I admittedly don't really know much about NiGHTS myself but I would love to know more of this franchise and see what people can come up with for side-content.
  2. Ryo Hazuki - I do love me some Shenmue. Ryo and Kiryu brawling it out in any capacity is an amazing idea.
  3. Beat - Same reasoning applies to Jet Set Radio. I feel like Beat could offer some swell and unique mechanics to the game, and I think everyone could appreciate the music and swagger that comes alongside with him.
Another contributing factor for me voting for these certain peeps is that they feel like huge ommissions for a grande SEGA crossover. We aren't halfway through the roster yet, and we've already added some crucial characters already, so there's no real need to rush, but I'd like to use the chance get any of these in so we can start going crazy with the picks soon.

This selection was solid either way, and I hope to see all of these characters in someday. A big shoutout to Masami especially, there's a lot of creativity that could be used with that character and I definitely would have voted for her if not for this already strong lineup. So I hope I can look forward to see her again in other prompts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1.Aiai
2.Nights
3.beat

Considering the new super monkey ball is coming he was my 1st choice.
I would've suggested Billy Hatcher if I had cane in earlier... Oh well.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, voting is closed!

Here are the results:

NiGHTS: 14 points
AiAi: 7 points
Vectorman: 1 point
Beat: 9 points
Ryo: 9 points
Bayo: 10 points
Masami: 3 points
Football Manager: 7 points
Busujima: 6 points

So....you know what I was thinking? This round brought a ridiculously solid lineup. And the next character prompt is just third characters for Sonic and VF, so having just one new series addition sandwiched between a buncha additional reps could get a bit boring. And to tell the truth, I still have a few empty spots left in my roadmap of character additions. And while for a more specific job, I'd add just one character, I think there's a bit more leeway with an "anything goes" job like this. And it's been a long time since we did a "the top 2 win" character j-ah **** it you know exactly where I'm going with this

That's right, I've decided that due to the looser nature of this prompt and the sheer quality of the lineup, I'll be including the top 2 characters this time! Which means that the next two characters to join Battle of AGES will be NiGHTS and Bayonetta!!!

So that's two pretty big ones outta the way. Onto the jobs, then - and we're starting off with NiGHTS:

Job #64: Submit a moveset for NiGHTS

So uhhhhhhhh yeah! Submit a moveset for NiGHTS! It is time for NiGHTS to get their moveset submitted!

As a reminder of the Sacred Moveset Format (TM):

-A general playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. info

Let's gooooooo

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #64: NİGHTS (NİGHTS Into Dreams...)

Moveset:

General playstyle:
NİGHTS is an air-oriented fighter through and through. They have below-average stamina and even lower weight, meaning they can have a hard time surviving for long if they can’t avoid getting hit, which is made worse by their tall hitbox. On top of this NİGHTS has abysmal stats on the ground, with weak normal moves, slow smash attacks, and lackluster walking speed. Their dashing speed is good as they float near the ground but it takes some time to reach their maximum speed.

However, their airplay is truly outstanding. NİGHTS, like Opa-Opa, has multiple air dashes and can cancel them into air attacks at the risk of higher ending lag. They have high speed but low gravity and falling speed, meaning they gain high air time from their jumps. The four air jumps NİGHTS possess have a short pause before applying a slower and constant upwards boost, launching them in a controllable arc. They also have much more versatile and useful attacks in the air, granting them both combo and KO options. Though, it should be noted that NİGHTS also suffers immense ending lag upon landing if they fight in the air for too long so be careful to keep opponents away if you need a breather.

Normal attacks:

NİGHTS has various attacks involving using their body like a graceful acrobat and ignoring gravity. While they have occasional kicks and chops, they usually don’t seem they’re in a fight that much. Their ground attacks mostly consist of delicate spins and kicks. Their aerial moves are a lot more deliberate, fast, and practiced, involving somersaults and powerful leg and arm hits. NİGHTS use their Persona masks to aid in their smash attacks to summon Arsene to transform. For their down special, they turn into a long dragon and quickly fly in a circle close to the ground. For their side special, they turn into a dolphin and are hit with a flip tail whip. For their up smash, they turn into a rocket and raise a little before exploding.

Special attacks:

Move
Name
Description

Neutral Special
Blue BounceA simple projectile attack where NİGHTS takes out a blue ball and tosses it forward. It deals small damage and knockback and goes an average distance before losing height and hitting the ground.
While unimpressive on the ground, this attack becomes quite dangerous in the air as it gains more speed and damage, along with the ability to follow NİGHTS’ momentum, meaning they can throw it in any direction with some practice. This move is too situational to keep the opponents at bay, but it can force approaches from the air and stop recoveries from unconventional angles.
Hitting an ally with this move at team matches will heal them up to a small, set amount.

Side special
Drill DashOne of the NİGHTS’ signature moves. When this move is used, NİGHTS will start spinning around themselves rapidly and fly forward like a drill. Tilting the control stick will allow NİGHTS to aim down or up and change their trajectory. Hitting foes will deal damage multiple times before launching them but will also slow down NİGHTS’ momentum. This move puts them in free fall in the air if they have no midair jumps left.
Down SpecialDream FluteClosing their eyes, NİGHTS starts playing an invisible flute with their hands and produces a short melody. A Nightopian appears and starts orbiting around NİGHTS. While Nightopians don’t have hitboxes, they can take hits in NİGHTS’ place. They can also be used to extend NİGHTS’ hitboxes when they use Paraloop and Drill Dash. Only three of them can be around NİGHTS at once.

Up special
ParaloopNİGHTS perform another special move of theirs. They will fly upward, then strike with their head after a loop, while leaving Twinkle Dust from their hands. Enemies hit by this move are launched upward. This move is great for recovery due to its long vertical distance and unpredictable angle.
The loop NİGHTS create when going up will create a vacuum hitbox that pulls enemies and items in, allowing NİGHTS to equip or reflect the latter. It can also disrupt some recoveries but as NİGHTS go into free fall upon use, it should be used with some care.

All-Star Move
Twin DreamsAn All-Star Move that starts with a cinematic and then transitions into the regular gameplay.
In the cinematic, NİGHTS is shown to Dualize with two of their Visitors (Helen and William by default, but alts might change that) in a dreamscape. They will both take NİGHTS’ hands and take their shape with a shower of glowing light.
In the gameplay, the duo flies across the screen in a crisscross shape, knocking out anyone on their path with blinding speed. While NİGHTS can’t control their movement, it’s likely that anyone on the stage will be hit by them at least once.
The All-Star move ends with kids turning into their original form after separating from NİGHTS and waving them goodbye.

Other:

Aesthetics:
NİGHTS have their appearance is taken from their latest game, NİGHTS: Journey of Dreams, with an updated model and better particle effects on their sparkle moves. Aesthetically, NİGHTS never touch the ground and always float on one toe. Most of their moves also emit Twinkle Sparkles from their limbs. Their color palettes are mostly inspired by the various Ideyas in the game. They are voiced by Julissa Aguirre in all regions.

Entrance animation: NİGHTS is seen lying on their back in the air with their arms behind their back as before getting out of their position.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: NİGHTS turns towards the screen and takes a deep bow, laughing softly. They might occasionally say “You and me, one on one.”
Taunt 2: NİGHTS floats around in a circle before landing again, saying “Let's show them what our courage can do!”
Taunt 3: NİGHTS leans forward and stretches their mouth with their pinky fingers to make a funny face before turning back.

Victory Theme: Peaceful Moment

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: NİGHTS slowly floats down to the ground while sitting comfortably on the air and playing their air flute. They will open one eye briefly when their name is called and smile at the camera.

Victory 2: NİGHTS Drill Dashes towards the screen, immediately stooping and backflipping in a loop before waving and flying up. Before they leave, they will say “This was fun when it lasted, see you later!”

Victory 3: NİGHTS fly across the camera a couple of times and then gently fly back with Nightopians around them and making a reverence. They will also say “Don't worry; we'll be seeing each other real soon.”

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, I think enough time has passed: osby's moveset wins by default!

Onto the next job:

Job #65: Submit a NiGHTS stage

So this is our next logical step. NiGHTS certainly has some Wacky Locations to pull from, so even if we weren't giving every playable IP (or at least the vast majority of them depending on how things play out) a stage, it'd feel like a missed opportunity to not have a NiGHTS stage. So I'm interested in seeing what's submitted here

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #65 - Spring Valley
1C620B6F-7960-42B7-B8A3-C4677E6832C2.png

Spring Valley is the first level of NiGHTS into Dreams that you visit with Claris. It’s a windy mountain area said to be shaped from Claris’ admiration of her father. I know this is the Obvious NiGHTS stage to pick because it’s the first level and it the go-to locale for crossovers, but god dammit it’s a cool location regardless so I don’t care if it is basic.

The stage consists of a handful decently sized platforms suspended in the air, surrounding a grassy mountain top in the middle. You can see Nightopians in the background going about their day or watching the battle unfold. This stage mimics the 2.5D gameplay of its source material by having the stage wrap all the way around the mountain instead of having a dedicated blast zone on the sides (granted you’ll still get knocked off if you’re too far apart from the other player, but I digress). Aside from that, there are windmills in the background that will occasionally blow wind at you and push you off the platform if you’re not careful. Also there are rings scattered across the stage and going through them grants you an extra air dash.

Now I could stop there, but there’s a neat gimmick from the original game and Christmas NiGHTS that I think would be really fun to implement. One of NiGHTS’ coolest features was that it utilized the Sega Saturn’s internal clock and you could unlock certain easter eggs if you played the game on certain days. I thought it’d be cool if we translated that gimmick into Spring Valley to give it something extra unique. All of these are purely cosmetic and don’t have any significant impact on how the stage plays. Also I stuck with holidays that are more universally celebrated because I assume this game is gonna be released worldwide and I don’t want anything getting lost in translation between cultures.

Valentines Day (February 14th) - The stage takes place against a pink sky and you can see hearts floating in the background. There are cherry blossom petals scattered across the ground and the hoops are all heart-shaped. In the background, you can see some Nightopians going on dates and offering each other chocolates.

April Fools (April 1st) - Nothing too drastic happens visually, but in the background Reala can be seen terrorizing the Nightopians and causing mayhem. This is a reference to how you can unlock Reala as a playable character if you play the game on April Fools.

Sonic’s Birthday (June 23rd) - Another very minor change. All the Nightopians will be dressed up as various Sonic characters while Sonic himself can be seen running in the background if nobody’s playing as him. When Sonic joins the battle, Alfonzo Classic Sonic will take his place. This also happens to be a reference to a secret unlockable character, as you can play through Spring Valley with Sonic if you beat Christmas NiGHTS.

Halloween (October 31st) - The stage takes place against an orange sunset. You can see Jack-o-Lanturns set out in the background and Nightopians dressed in Halloween costumes holding out candy baskets. The hoops are now shaped like pumpkins.

Christmas (December 25th) - Of course we had to include this one, Sonic Team literally made an entire game around it! The stage takes place at night, with platforms and mountains all covered in snow and Christmas trees set up all over the place. Nightopians are seen carrying presents and enjoying hot chocolate and candy canes. All the hoops have been replaced with wreaths.

New Years (December 31st-January 1st) - This stage takes place at night. There are fireworks going off in the background and you can see the Nightopians celebrating the dawn of the new year. Also if you happen to be playing this stage exactly as the new year ushers in (and let’s face it, most of us would be the kind of nerds to do that instead of partying), the fireworks in the background will spell out “Happy New Year!”

Tracklist:
  1. Dreams Dreams (Remix)
  2. Paternal Horn
  3. The Dragon Gave a Loud Scream
  4. The Amazing Water (Remix)
  5. Gloom of the N.H.B.
  6. Message from Nightopia
  7. E-LE-KI Sparkle (Remix)
  8. Suburban Museum
  9. The Mantle (Remix)
  10. Under Construction
  11. NiGHTS and Reala
  12. Eloquent Echo (Remix)
  13. Drifting Donbalon
  14. Wandering Wildness
  15. Electrical Entertainment (Remix)
  16. Queen Bella’s Ball

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I had Spring Valley in my mind at first due to it's status as the most prominent stage (much like Sonic's Green Hill Zone), as it is Claris' first world in NiGHTS into Dreams (even though Elliot also visited it in some of the cutscenes, Christmas NiGHTS, an Archie comic and a storybook), being the only accessible world in its Christmas version, appeared as a pinball table in Sonic Adventure & Pinball Party, mini-games on Game Boy Advance & SEGA Superstars, a "Dream Valley" circuit in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, referenced in Burning Rangers as a square, one of the teams in a baseball scene from the Sonic movie and IDW's recent 30th anniversary comic (complete with Badnik versions of Shleeps and Hollows), etc.

But since Orpheus managed to make it before I even woke up, it looks like I have to resort on making another stage.

Job #65: NiGHTS Stage - Splash Garden

Splash Garden is Elliot's first world in NIGHTS into Dreams and one of the two levels available to be played at the beginning of the game. It's setting is like a cheerful aquatic park and said to have a connection with Elliot's mother. Alongside Spring Valley, it made an appearance in Sonic Pinball Party as the second NiGHTS thematic pinball table, with Puffy as a boss.

The stage's main gimmick of the stage is that the set of platforms travels through a 2.5D on-rails section, with multiple paths to travel on.

A fight starts out on a hill at the beginning of the location, with a gazebo behind the fighting area that Elliot uses to turn into NiGHTS. A set of platforms will then rise up. The main, semisoft one has a checkboard pattern on it, and the other soft platform is centered above the main one, and has a watery pattern on it.

Multiple paths will be taken by the set of platforms, chosen randomly from the starting location. After 120 seconds, the platforms will return to the gazebo on the hill, and then randomly choose another path. One of these paths involves traveling through water, which will slow players' momentum and decrease their fall/movement speed. While the set of platforms is traveling, the terrain will launch fighters if they touch it.

At the end of a rotation, when a platform returns back to the start, a jellyfish-like machine called Ideya Capture, can be seen close to a starting location. By collecting 20 Blue Chips scattered around the stage (like Pac-Dots in Pac-Maze on SSB4's 3DS version) and approaching the machine, it will explode and allow the player to retrieve the Ideya for a random buff. After a certain amount of time is passed, the machine will recover with an another Ideya locked inside it before a rotation starts again.
  • Red Ideya of Courage - Grants a boost in special moves.
  • White Ideya of Purity - Grants a boost in neutral attacks.
  • Blue Ideya of Intelligence - Grants a boost in defense (shield/dodging).
  • Green Ideya of Growth - Grants a boost in speed and air-dashes.
  • Yellow Ideya of Hope - Grants a boost in jump.
Tracklist:
  1. Message from Nightopia (Remix)
  2. Dreams Dreams (Battle of AGES Remix/Adult/Kid/Sky Concert - a remix version is used in NiGHTS' arcade mode credits with karaoke lyrics)
  3. Growing Wings (Original/Journey of Dreams)
  4. NiGHTS (Remix)
  5. Paternal Horn (Spring Valley; Remix)
  6. The Amazing Water (Splash Garden; Remix)
  7. Take the Snow Train (Frozen Bell)
  8. Under Construction (Stick Canyon)
  9. The Dragon Gave a Loud Scream (Gillwing)
  10. The Mantle (Jackle; Remix)
  11. NiGHTS and Reala ~ Theme of A Tragic Revenge (Remix/Original/Journey of Dreams)
  12. D'Force Master (Wizeman the Wicked) (Original/Journey of Dreams)
  13. When the Night Falls (Dream Gate)
  14. Eloquent Echo (Original/Fluffy Catch)
  15. Sweeping Seashore (Aqua Garden) (also used in SEGA Superstars Tennis)
  16. Crystal Choir (Crystal Castle)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job 65: Bellbridge (NİGHTS: Journey of Dreams)

1630643895120.png

The final stage of Journey of Dreams, Bellbridge is a stage that mainly consists of a single, floating block of an Edwardian tower. Three other airborne building pieces’ act as walls that loosely cover the sides of the screen, though KO’ing opponents between them are fairly easy. The stage itself is static but the background slowly turns around the giant clock tower in a night city, which shows the time on the system clock. Occasionally, rings appear on the stage to give fighters a momentum boost when passed through them. A few NİGHTS characters like Owl, Nightopians, and Reala might appear in the background and two Visitors, William and Helen will wave at the stage from the clocktower unless NİGHTS is in the match.

Tracklist:
  1. Dreams Dreams (:Battle of AGES)
  2. Growing Wings
  3. Sweeping Seashore
  4. Crystal Choir
  5. Drifting Donbalon
  6. Wandering Wildness
  7. D'Force Master
  8. NiGHTS And Reala - Theme of A Tragedic Revenge
  9. Queen Bella's Ball: Hard Ver.
  10. Eloquent Echo
  11. Cruising Together
  12. Message from Nightopia
  13. Giant Girania
  14. The Mantle
  15. Rabbit Bed (Napple Tale)
  16. If One Day We Met... (Segagaga)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, here are more capsule toys:

• Masaoka Azuki & Kobayashi Matcha
    • First Appearance: 575 Utayomi (July 26, 2013)
    • Series: Project 575
    • System Debut: iPhone
  • Pengo
    • First Appearance: Pengo (September 26, 1982)
    • Series: Pengo
    • System Debut: Atari
  • Fenrir
    • First Appearance: Shining Blade (March 15, 2012)
    • Series: Shining
    • System Debut: PlayStation Portable
Pengo already had some content but I don't think we added him physically. Project 575 is here because I wanted to add some unambiguously SEGA-owned Vocaloid and mobile game content. Fenrir is because he's objectively the best character design in modern Shining games.

And VMU RPG mooks:

Banana Thief (Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, 2006)
Hennin Ninja (Shinobi, 2002)
Rappy (Phantasy Star Online, 2000)

Two More Capsule Toys to Fantasy Zone:

- O-Papa
- First Appearance: Fantasy Zone (March 20, 1986)
- Series: Fantasy Zone
- System Debut: Arcade
Description: O-papa is Opa-Opa's long lost Father, who was Possessed by 6 Blue Parasites, who travel in 6 random patterns. He is the Antagonist of Fantasy Zone, who was Stealing Money from Fantasy Zone to build a Menon Fortress, while being a leader of Menon Forces.
When he was freed of corruption, he was weakened and he died, leaving Opa-Opa alone for Opa-Opa's next Adventure.

- Space Harrier (If he wasn't a Fighter) (His design is Based on Ken Sugemori style)
- First Appearance: Space Harrier (October 2, 1985)
- Series: Space Harrier/Fantasy Zone
- System Debut: Arcade
Description: This guy known as Harrier, he flies and shoots enemies that threat the Fantasy Zone itself. He flies through random Planets while fighting Mammoths, Conjoined Chinese Dragons, Aliens, Robots, Geometric Objects, Idas and Robots. When Defeating those types of Enemies, he even takes down Trimuller, Medusa and Dark Harrier himself. He also defeated hostile Forces who tried ruled the Fantasy Land, until Space Harrier defeated them with his Cosmic Gate.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alllllllllrighty then, the votes have come in: Spring Valley will be our NiGHTS stage!

Onto the last job from this franchise:

Job #66: Submit a NiGHTS assist

So yeah, based on what we've been doing, of course NiGHTS would get an assist! Not much to say here, other than a reminder that whatever character wins will be disconfirmed.

Job #66:
Puffy

Puffy is Character from NiGHTS and she is a Humanoid Bunny Singer, who has shape of Ball.
She is Nightmaren bunny character, who you can throw her as Ball.

When Summoned, she jumps on the Stage. You can bash her to knock other enemies with her help. She has Ball Physics that it can act as throwable Projectile that gives huge knockback after her contact with Player.
(Her bust can be toned down to make the Game Kid-Family-Friendly)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #66: Owl (NİGHTS: Journey of Dreams)

Owl.png

Owl is a supporting character in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and guides the main characters, Will and Helen, throughout the game after introducing them to the Night Dimension.

As an assist character, Owl doesn't directly help the player but instead allows them to play with training wheels for a short while. When summoned, he'll greet the player with a "Visitor from another world, welcome." start flying near the player and surround them with Twinkle Sparks. During this time, the fighter he assists will benefit from the following effects:
  • air dashes and dodges with more invincibility
  • more shield health
  • up specials travel more distance
  • attacks inflicted on them cause less hit stun
If anyone tries to attack Owl, he'll simply teleport away before flying back.

Top Bottom