• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #44: Keil Fluge & Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

panzer-dragoon-series-e8fa4e9f-94dd-44c7-a68b-f95d7c00e1f-resize-750.png

Keil is the protagonist of Panzer Dragoon, a 1995 rail shooter that had commercial and critical success and got remade in 2020. He is a hunter in a post-apocalyptic world who bonds with Blue Dragon after the death of his rider. Together, they fly through the world to stop the Prototype Dragon.

Panzer Dragoon is one of SEGA's most important series from the late 90s and quite fondly remembered to this day. Keil and Blue Dragon (or as the OVA adaptation calls him, Blau) could also make a very unique fighter as a duo character. Keil would shoot blasts and beams of energy with his gun while Blue Dragon would be a close range fighter with impressive range.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Picking just one character from the 90s was surprisingly difficult. In the end I went for the more obvious choice in my eyes than the more off the wall options I was considering:

Job 44: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage, 1991)

Axel-Stone.png

Not to be confused with Crazy Taxi's Axel, Axel Stone is the face of the much lauded beat 'em up series, Streets of Rage.

Alongside Blaze Fielding, he's been one of the few characters to appear in every single entry in the series as a playable character(Adam Hunter does appear in every game but has unfortunately only been playable in Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 4).

Axel Stone also makes cameos in Project x Zone 2, SEGA Heroes and Power Drift.

With Streets of Rage 4's DLC coming out tomorrow, I'd be remiss to mention either Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding or Adam Hunter here.

Ability wise, Axel has several of his own moves to draw from such as the Bare Knuckle(a reference to the Japanese name of the series), the Dragon Smash and the Dragon Wing, and a heavy association with fiery fist attacks. Not to mentioning summoning in a police strike.

He also has a variety of melee weapons he could bring out such as the ever present metal pipe, the throwing knife and the more bizarre weaponry such as the swordfish item seen as the cover image for the Mr. X DLC:

Axel-Swordfish.png

I was pretty torn between all three of the original Streets of Rage cast. Blaze has as many playable roles under her belt as Axel making her a solid choice too.

Whilst he's not playable that often, Adam Hunter is always very present in the series with his kidnapping setting off the plot of Streets of Rage 2, his involvement with the police allowing him to pull strings to aid Axel and Blaze in taking down Mr. X in Streets of Rage 3 and his appearance in 4 being a very welcome return to form.
Eddie "Skate" Hunter, Adam's kid brother is playable in both 2 and 3 and his daughter Cherry Hunter is playable in 4 allowing for a team of 'Hunters' to be potentially playable(with Adam summoning Eddie and Cherry in)

Ultimately I'm siding with Axel Stone as he's still got the most appearances out of the trio overall thanks to Project x Zone 2 and being the main 'face' of the franchise.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I apologize for the late submission but...
See the source image

Ristar
Ristar is the protagonist of well, Ristar. The game is a little forgotten now, but is often considered one of the best Genesis games and a cult classic. It has pretty unique atmosphere and gameplay, and is a pretty good game. He would fight by stretching and grabbing opponents, which would make him a pretty unique fighter. I feel like he would have a unique moveset and be a good representation of some of the lesser known Sega icons.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, might as well throw in a submission of my own because there's a pretty ****in' big character here that no one else's put forward yet. Remember when I said there were a couple of notable acquired SEGA characters who debuted in this decade? This is pretty much who I was referring to:

Job #44: Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo (1990 (Madou Monogatari)/1991 (Puyo Puyo))
Arle_ppt2.png

Now then, I'm no Puyo expert, but I'll still try my best at explaining ****:

Arle is the protagonist of the Madou Monogatari and Puyo Puyo franchises (most well-known for the latter). Both of these franchises started off in the early 90s, so either way, she's eligible. Madou was a 1st-person JRPG series where Arle fought all kinds of colorful monsters, while Puyo Puyo was a puzzle game that came about when Compile wanted to create a falling block puzzle game that set itself apart from the legions of Tetris clones that were being released at the time. To this end, they pulled out the Madou characters, plopped 'em in, and Puyo Puyo was born! While the original couple versions of the game didn't see much attention, the arcade version was a hit. Puyo did indeed succeed in distinguishing itself from its competitors, thanks to its colorful cast and competitive gameplay. Then the sequel - Puyo Puyo Tsu - came along, and was even more of a hit: its competitive community got so big that there were televised tournaments, and the brand itself reached such a size that there was almost a Puyo theme park in Japan. Worth noting, however, that this was all in Japan. Over in the West, the series didn't really get localized, and when it did, it was masked under the guise of popular characters like Robotnik and Kirby. The former is what gave some irony to what happened in '98: Compile transferred ownership of Puyo Puyo to SEGA! Although they didn't acquire Madou, they did acquire the characters from the series that appeared in Puyo Puyo, therefore making it so that if Arle got in this hypothetical game, for all intents and purposes, she'd be counted as a Puyo character. Compile made a couple more games under SEGA, but after that, Sonic Team took control of the franchise, and since then, it's had a somewhat better track record with localizations, even gaining itself a growing Western fanbase.

Arle herself is a cheerful girl who has probably spent half of her entire lifetime making snarky comments by now. During the Puyo Puyo games she happens to constantly get involved in Puyo Puyo matches will all manner of varied people. She also has a pet. Its name is Carbuncle. Carbuncle is very good. Please take a look at Carbuncle:
300px-Carbuncle_PPT2.png

Anyway, as for how she could fight, aside from probably doing things with the iconic Puyos that make up the series' gameplay, Arle is a mage. Her arsenal mainly consists of elemental magic, but she does also have a few other notable spells, such as Diacute, Heaven Ray and Bayoen. So she could be pretty fun! This, along with Puyo's status as a long-runner, its huge brand awareness in Japan, its growing Western fanbase and the genre she uniquely represents, I honestly believe she's a must for a SEGA fighting game roster.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well, I think enough time has passed by now, innit? Submissions are now closed!

Here are the picks we have:

NiGHTS ( cashregister9 cashregister9 , also worth checking out tonygameman tonygameman 's addendum on the character)
Ryo Hazuki ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Headdy ( LennyMcOhMyGod LennyMcOhMyGod )
Axel (Crazy Taxi) ( AirMac1 AirMac1 )
Keil Fluge and Blue Dragon ( osby osby )
Axel Stone ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Ristar ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Arle Nadja (meeeeeeeee)

Vote for your top 3 - your own submission can only be put in third place.

VERY IMPORTANT:
If you vote for either one of the Axels, please specify which one you're voting for. You can put their series' names in parenthesis, refer to the SoR Axel as Axel Stone, I don't care, just PLEASE make it clear which Axel is which when voting, so that I can properly count the votes. I cannot stress this enough.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Arle (Puyo Puyo is one of Sega’s biggest franchises right now and Arle would offer some nice variety in terms of playstyle and genre representation)
2. NiGHTS (I looooove NiGHTS into Dreams. Wasn’t entirely sold on them initially but the write-up helped give me a better idea of how they’d play)
3. Axel Stone (Streets of Rage is great and we don’t have a Sega beat-em-up rep yet)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Axel Stone
2. Ryo Hazuki
3. NiGHTS

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Keil Fluge (I'm curious how this one would work. Conceptionally this one is intriguing to me)
2. Ryo Hazuki (Felt pretty bad for Ryo getting 0 points in the initial character vote)
3. Axel Stone (I can't not vote for him)

I also love Crazy Taxi, I just think I'd rather have B.D. Joe over Axel in that particular role.

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Ryo Hazuki. He's the one character I think of when talking about 90s SEGA and I think Shenmue's grand return is worth celebrating here.
  2. Ristar. I was pleasantly surprised about just how good Ristar is. He always gets shafted in crossover games so this might be his shot.
  3. Keil Fluge. Shameless self-vote.

LennyMcOhMyGod

Smash Rookie
NNID
LennyMcOhMyGod
Switch FC
SW-0966-9376-5780
1. Ryo Hazuki
2. Axel Stone
3. NiGHTS
There are so many good characters that could represent the 90s. I wish we could just choose every submission, but all around I think these 3 are the best possible candidates.

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
1. Keil Fluge (I'm curious how this one would work. Conceptionally this one is intriguing to me)
2. Ryo Hazuki (Felt pretty bad for Ryo getting 0 points in the initial character vote)
3. Axel Stone (I can't not vote for him)

I also love Crazy Taxi, I just think I'd rather have B.D. Joe over Axel in that particular role.
I get that. I just put Axel because he’s always been my favorite for some reason. Probably because of his cool hair.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
ADD THEM ALL DARN IT

But for real
1. Arle Nadja
2. Ryo Hazuki
3. Keil Fluge

This may be even harder than the last character poll.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
There are so many good characters that could represent the 90s. I wish we could just choose every submission, but all around I think these 3 are the best possible candidates.
Well yeah, we once had a female fighter prompt where we had to vote for two characters, and Sakura Shinguji & Ulala won (told you about this before). I hope we'll get similar cases for prompts some other days.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well yeah, we once had a female fighter prompt where we had to vote for two characters, and Sakura Shinguji & Ulala won (told you about this before). I hope we'll get similar cases for prompts some other days.
It's been stated before but 90s already has quite a few characters and it's a safe bet to say it will get more. At least even if they don't win get in this round, I can still see Axel Stone, Arle and NİGHTS making it to the final roster.

Speaking of which, what time period you guys think will get the most characters when we're done? Late nineties and early 2000s is usually the period people think of when talking about SEGA classics so I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of our fighters end up originating from that era. Of course, I hope we get a healthy mix of old and new.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I agree with the very late 90s and the early 2000s being where a lot of the cast most people consider the ones entitled 'All-Stars' came from.

If I had to pick a particular era I'd probably side with the 90s just because we already have two Sonic characters from this era, two Virtua Fighter characters, Sakura and whomever wins this round.

Even ignoring everyone put forward this round(all of which are pretty big series) you still have memorable titles like The House of the Dead, Samba de Amigo, Gunstar Heroes, Chuchu Rocket, Ecco the Dolphin, Vectorman, Toejam and Earl, etc.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well, the votes are in:

NiGHTS: 10 points
Ryo: 12 points
Headdy: 2 points
Axel: 1 points
Keil: 7 points
Axel Stone: 13 points
Ristar: 4 points
Arle: 11 points

This one was really closely fought, but in the end, the next character to join Battle of AGES is Axel Stone!

So after this, the first thing we do is of course:

Job #45: Submit a moveset for Axel Stone

It's time to submit a moveset for Axel!

This one should also probably be on the easier side, as with other characters from fighting games or beat-em-ups. Just for a refresher on the recommended moveset structure:

-general gameplay overview
-notable normal attacks
-specials and All-Star Moves
-misc. info

You all already know this anyway, but it's worth repeating just in case.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #45: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Moveset:

General playstyle
: Axel is a heavy, close-range combatant who is fast of the ground but relatively slow in the air. He has low stamina compared to other fighters in his weight-class which makes him a high-risk-high-reward character when combined with his damage-heavy specials and throws. Axel is held back by his lack of projectiles but he can make up for it with his armored moves and the ability to use offensive items faster than anyone else in the game. Uniquely, all of his special moves deal recoil damage to Axel, which will be healed slightly if he follows them up with a regular move.

Notable normal attacks: Virtually all of Axel's moves are taken from his various appearences in his beat 'em up games. He fights with a mix of boxing, karate and kickbox to form a unique set of punches, kicks and throws. His neutral left-left-right jab combo, his uppercut up tilt and his rising knee neutral air are all moves he used previously. His forward smash and dash attack use a swing from a random weapon, be it a baseball bat, a lead pipe or stop sign. He has a fast pummel and very strong throws involving a headbutt forward throw and a suplex back throw.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special:
Dragon Smash. Axel pulls off a quick barrage of punches followed by an uppercut with his fists covered in flames, burning the opponent if it hits. Any of the weak hits trap the opponent but if they miss, it leaves Axel wide open for a while. This attack deals high enough damage to shave of weaker fighters' stamina by a quarter if all hits connect but it's very predictable and works the best as a combo finisher. Deals the highest recoil damage.

Side Special: Dragon Upper. Axel crouches and dashes forward to drag his fist on the floor and encase it in flames. If he hits someone, he uppercuts them directly upward, burning them. This special is weaker in the air and doesn't go as far but its medium recoil damage is also reduced. Good for closing up distances, similar to Sakura's side special.

Up Special: Grand Hook. Axel performs a burning uppercut that propels him upward to the air. Deals nearly no recoil damage and has a fast start-up/high knockback. However, it haas limited horizontal recovery potential. If the up button is held after the down special move, Axel can use this special with reduced lag in-between, essentially using two specials right after another but increasing the recoil damage on the second one.

Down Special: Dragon Wing. Axel swings his fist in a circular motion, knocking down surrounding enemies and burning them. It comes out quick so it's a good move to use when Axel is cornered. However, it deals the second highest recoil damage and it cannot KO opponents with a ring-out under most circumstances due to its fixed knockback. It's also not very damaging. Axel gains some armor when connecting this move with a damaging hitbox so situationally it can be used to protect himself from stage hazards.

All-Star Move: Dragon Burn. Axel uses his star move from Streets of Rage 4 and creates a giant pillar of flames with a strong uppercut. The geyser of flames hits multiple times and drags anyone caught in it up to the top of the screen and burns them.

Other:

Aesthetics:
Axel's default appearence is taken from his Streets of Rage 4 design, with a taller and leaner built to match his classic look a little more closely. He has unique sound effects when dealing damage, taken from Streets of Rage 4. His alternate palettes give him his color schemes from earlier games in the series, such as his yellow shirt with black pants from SoR3. He's voiced by Tomokazu Sugita in Japanese.

1626598343804.png

Entrance animation: Axel punches a worn-down door open and walks into the stage before taking his fighting stance.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Axel tightens his headband and says, “You looking for a fight? Well, you just found one!”
Taunt 2: Axel cracks his fists and hops in place. He'll also say "Fists are all you need!"
Taunt 3: Axel takes out a swinging weapon and gives it a few experimental swings.

Victory Theme: "Stage Clear" remix from Streets of Rage 2.

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Axel throws a few punches before doing his grand upper attack and stands in this pose:
1626598679778.png

Victory 2: Axel swings a battering item over his shoulder raises his fist as if offering a fist bump with his free hand. He'll also exclaim "Yeah! That’s how it’s done!”

Victory 3: Axel says ""Now stay off my streets!" and throws his jacket over his shoulder before turning his back to the camera.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #45: Axel Stone's Moveset

General Playstyle:

True to his beat 'em up roots, Axel is a heavy-weight fighter, whose attacks and throws are quite strong, can move at fast speeds (not as fast as Sonic, though) and has a extremely good grab game thanks to his unique up throw and fast pummel. He has extremely short jumps, low stamina, poor air mobility & worst air acceleration and lacks in projectiles. however. He can also use items faster than anyone else in the roster and deal more damage when throwing them or using melee items.

He even has two gimmicks/mechanics on his side such as:
  • Canceling: While not originating from a traditional fighting game, Axel is able to cancel some of his normal moves into a grab or special moves, like he does in Streets of Rage 4.
  • Recoil Damage: Much like Pichu, when using a special move, Axel's damage will slowly rise up, but only minimally and can be slightly healed by following with a regular move. This was used in the series since Streets of Rage 2, where special moves also debuted. However, at the start of a match, Axel grants a meter which gives him one special move without recoil damage with a 5-second cooldown between them.
Notable Normal Attacks:
Most of Axel's moves come straight from the Streets of Rage series, though like Terry, original ones are made for this game. Attacks even use sound effects from the series when hitting opponents, akin to him, Ryu/Ken and Kazuya.

(this is the first time on writing a whole moveset in this thread)
  • Jab - Axel performs a quick left jab, then does an another left jab and finishes with a right punch.
  • Forward Tilt - Axel kicks forward with his leg and then performs a slightly high kick with a same foot.
  • Back Tilt - Axel turns around and then punches backwards. Based on the grounded backwards attack used in Streets of Rage 2.
  • Up Tilt - Axel does a simple light uppercut with his right fist.
  • Down Tilt - Axel performs a sweeping kick while crouching, which trips an opponent when directly hit.
  • Dash Attack: Home Run - Axel pulls out a baseball bat and swings it while dashing forward. Based on his Star Skill from SEGA Heroes.
  • Side Smash - Axel pulls out a steel pipe and then vertically swings it forward with one hand in-front of him.
  • Up Smash - Axel pulls out a katana and swipes it upwards in an arc above him.
  • Down Smash - Axel pulls out a "Stop" sign and then sweeps it across the ground; first in-front of him, and then behind as sparks comes out (aesthetically).
  • Neutral Air - Axel does a rising knee attack with his right leg. Based on the attack used in the first game.
  • Forward Air - Axel performs a outwards kick with his left leg.
  • Back Air - Axel thrusts a taser (one of the weapons in Streets of Rage 4) behind him. While it doesn't have very much knockback, it can stun opponents for a little bit.
  • Up Air - Axel performs a straight upwards aerial kick.
  • Down Air - Axel does a downwards knee press with both knees, bashing opponents into the ground with a meteor effect.
  • Grab - Axel grabs the opponent by their shoulders with both hands, holding them in-front of him.
  • Pummel - Axel knees the opponent with his left leg.
  • Forward Throw - Axel headbutts the opponent forward.
  • Back Throw - Axel performs a suplex by dropping his back onto the ground and throwing an opponent backwards.
  • Up Throw - Axel vaults over the opponent into behind them. While this move isn't an attack, it will make Axel's next throw a bit stronger, though opponents can escape by mashing the button if they aren't damaged enough.
  • Down Throw - Axel jumps up and then slams the opponent onto the ground.
Special Moves:
  • Neutral Special: Dragon Smash - A chargeable move which allows Axel to perform a combo. When simply tapping the button, he wlll perform a simple uppercut with fire properties (deals small recoil damage). When fully charged, Axel will perform a quick barrage of punches and then a stronger uppercut as he rises into the air. Has the highest amount of recoil damage when fully executed and deals high damage when all hits connect.
  • Side Special: Grand Upper - Axel dashes forward, dragging his fist on the ground as it encases in flames. When hitting an opponent, he will shout "GRAND UPPER!" as he uppercuts them directly upwards, burning them in process. This special move is weaker in the air, but doesn't go as far and deals the less amount of recoil damage. Sends opponents at a far diagonal angle.
  • Up Special: Grand Hook - Axel performs a quicker version of Dragon Wing (as described below) and immediately follows with a burning Shoryuken-like uppercut that propels him upwards in the air. Compared to Ryu and Ken's, it has faster startup and higher knockback, but limited horizontal recovery potential. It also doesn't deal nearly no recoil damage.
  • Down Special: Axel has two different Down Specials depending on whenever he's on the ground or in the air.
    • Dragon Wing (Ground) - When in the ground, Axel quickly swings his fist in a circular motion and then punches forward as it encases in fire as he slightly moves forward, knocking down surrounding opponents. Comes out quick and can be used as a defensive tool to get opponents away from Axel, but deals the second highest recoil damage and has a bit of endlag. Gains invincibility frames when connected with a damaging hitbox.
    • Jump Special (Air) - When in the air, Axel will perform a flaming kick while going forward at a slight 40° angle. Pressing the button again when touching the ground will make Axel form a wheel of flames and then strike with a flaming punch in the shape of a dragon, which sends opponents flying. The second strike has super armor, but cannot be cancelled. Can be used as a horizontal recovery.
  • All-Star Move: Dragon Burn/Police Backup - Axel summons a flame aura around him and then performs a powerful uppercut, which summons a giant multi-hitting flame tornado in-front of him. If any opponent(s) are caught by the attack by being dragged into a tornado, they will be sent flying to a street where Axel pulls out a communicator/radio and requests for back-up. A police car drives into the scene and a cop comes out of the window, pulling out his bazooka and then shoots a round which blows up into a ring of flames and then explodes, sending opponents flying back to the stage at far distances. Based on Axel's Star Move from Streets of Rage 4 and a special attack in the first game respectively.
Others:

Aesthetics:
Axel's design is based on his classic appearance in the Genesis trilogy and Project x Zone 2, with alts referencing his SoR3 sprite (yellow shirt/black pants) and other characters such as Blaze Fielding, Adam Hunter, Skate, Max Thunder, Dr. Gilbert Zan and Shiva. His special alternate costume would be his outfit from Streets of Rage 4 (complete with a beard), but with a taller and leaner build to match his original physique.

Entrance Animation: Axel walks calmly into the stage, adjusting his gloves and cracking his fists while saying "Looking for a fight? Well, you just found one!", before assuming his idle/fighting stance.

Taunts:
Taunt 1:
Axel tightens his headband as he says "Go straight!"
Taunt 2: Axel takes a deep breath as he clenches his fist.
Taunt 3: A food appears on the ground. Axel crouches down to pick it up and eats it. While it doesn't heal him, a sound effect from the Genesis games will play during the taunt.

Victory Theme: A remix of the "Stage Clear" theme from Streets of Rage 2.

Victory Animations:
Victory 1:
Axel is seen with his back turned to the camera. He then turns around and punches directly at it, cracking the screen a bit, referencing a scene in Streets of Rage 3.
Victory 2: Axel does a few practicing punches as he says "Yeah! That's how it's done!" before doing Grand Upper, standing still in a pose from Streets of Rage 3's boxart (minus flames).
Victory 3: A group of thugs (Y. Signal and Galsia) are seen looking for a fight, until a steel pipe is thrown at Galsia which knocks him out, causing Y. Signal to flee as Axel shows up and punches his fists into each other, saying "Now stay off my streets!".

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #46: City Streets

63E3C514-FD78-4D18-A487-44D5E6000540.png

City Streets is the first level of Streets of Rage 1. The stage is more or less a faithful recreation of the level in layout, being a flat scrolling stage. The stage occasionally stops scrolling to have you fight a group of enemies before progressing further. At the end of the stage, you have to fight Streets of Rage’s first boss, Antonio. He’ll throw his boomerang at you. Once he’s defeated, the stage scrolls again and you basically repeat the same song and dance until the battle’s over. It’s quite literally a level of Streets of Rage adapted into a fighting game stage.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #46: City Streets

View attachment 323582

City Streets is the first level of Streets of Rage 1. The stage is more or less a faithful recreation of the level in layout, being a flat scrolling stage. The stage occasionally stops scrolling to have you fight a group of enemies before progressing further. At the end of the stage, you have to fight Streets of Rage’s first boss, Antonio. He’ll throw his boomerang at you. Once he’s defeated, the stage scrolls again and you basically repeat the same song and dance until the battle’s over. It’s quite literally a level of Streets of Rage adapted into a fighting game stage.
And here's a tracklist like I did for YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's Alex Kidd stage (Mt. Eternal):
  1. Fighting in the Street (Remix)
  2. Moon Beach
  3. Attack of the Barbarian
  4. Go Straight (Battle of AGES Remix/original/Beatmix/Project x Zone 2; former is Axel's credits theme - has the most swappable variants for being a series' most popular track)
  5. In the Bar (original/OST remix)
  6. Dreamer (Remix)
  7. Never Return Alive (Remix)
  8. Ready Funk
  9. Revenge of Mr. X (Remix)
  10. Fuze
  11. Dub Slash
  12. The Poets (I/II)
  13. They're Back (Remix)
  14. The Streets
  15. DJ K-washi
  16. Mr. Y/Mrs. Y (medley; Remix)
  17. Extra: Player Select (Streets of Rage 2) (un-related to the stage; plays during the character select screen)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
And here's a tracklist like I did for YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's Alex Kidd stage (Mt. Eternal):
  1. Fighting in the Street (Remix)
  2. Moon Beach
  3. Attack of the Barbarian
  4. Go Straight (Battle of AGES Remix/original/Beatmix/Project x Zone 2; former is Axel's credits theme - has the most swappable variants for being a series' most popular track)
  5. In the Bar (original/OST remix)
  6. Dreamer (Remix)
  7. Never Return Alive (Remix)
  8. Ready Funk
  9. Revenge of Mr. X (Remix)
  10. Fuze
  11. Dub Slash
  12. The Poets (I/II)
  13. They're Back (Remix)
  14. The Streets
  15. DJ K-washi
  16. Mr. Y/Mrs. Y (medley; Remix)
  17. Extra: Player Select (Streets of Rage 2) (un-related to the stage; plays during the character select screen)
Ah shoot, thanks for adding the track list. I made my submission pretty late at night and completely forgot to add one lol.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight, I have an idea of my own:

Job #46: Amusement Park
AmusementPark.png

This amusement park is the third level in Streets of Rage 2. After fighting through a bridge, you reach this place, which is filled with colorful visuals and several distinct sections, going from the park itself to the actual attractions. The reason I'm submitting it is:

A. The fact that it's probably the most iconic and memorable location in the series after the streets themselves (which have already been submitted) and Mr. X's office (which I don't think makes for a good first pick for a SoR stage), which is helped by the fact that it's also the origin of one of the most beloved tracks in the series

B. The aesthetic variety it brings to this game's stage lineup

C. I feel like if we were to look at potential alternative options for a SoR stage, this should be the one because I think it manages to still represent the vibe of Streets of Rage really well while doing something more interesting - most other potential options, while they could be more interesting than the streets, wouldn't exactly scream "Streets of Rage" at a first glance. But I feel like this one does.

Anyway, as for the layout, it's a completely flat scrolling stage that will periodically stop scrolling for some enemies to come in. They don't deal a lot of damage or knockback as to not break up the flow of the fight too much, and you can even take advantage of them to pull off larger combos on your opponents (the enemies that can appear include Galsia, Fog, Donovan, the Signals, Jack, Electra and Kusanagi). Also worth noting that the stage has invisible walls to further simulate Streets of Rage's gameplay, so in terms of layout, this stage could be described as basically a scrolling KOF Stadium except the walls can't break. Like the candles in Dracula's Castle, you can break objects in the background that can spawn items. They can also drop apples or chicken, which will restore your health.

An important detail is that the stage has 3 different sections. As it scrolls, you'll find a tunnel, and as the stage scrolls towards it, the stage goes dark and transitions to another location from the original stage! The 3 locations that are part of this cycle are:

-Streets: The part showcased in the image, where you just go through the park's main streets. There's benches, there's a rollercoaster and a castle in the background, very cool place overall.

-Arcade: The area that followed the streets in the original. Although it was a diagonal path in the original, it's been reworked to fit the stage layout here, having been made a straight line. Something cool we could do: in the original version, the arcade machines were generic, but here, we could turn them into appearances from SEGA arcade classics such as OutRun, House of the Dead, Daytona and so on.

-Cave: The final location in the original, this Alien lookin ass place which is presumably one of the attractions. Unique to this section is that the background objects will actually explode upon being broken, potentially dealing damage before spawning whatever it is they feel like spawning.

(The pirate area's been cut out for the sake of streamlining things a bit)

Worth noting that the streets act as not just the first section in the cycle, but also as a midpoint between the others - so the cycle goes Streets -> Arcade -> Streets -> Cave -> Streets, and so on and so forth.

Tracklist

1. Dreamer
2. S.O.R. Super Mix
3. Fighting in the Street
4. Moon Beach
5. Violent Breathing
6. Go Straight
7. Under Logic
8. Wave 131
9. Revenge of Mr. X
10. Fuze
11. Dub Slash
12. The Poets II
13. They're Back
14. Funky HQ
15. An Exhibition
16. Rising Up

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Aight, I have an idea of my own:

Job #46: Amusement Park
View attachment 323613
This amusement park is the third level in Streets of Rage 2. After fighting through a bridge, you reach this place, which is filled with colorful visuals and several distinct sections, going from the park itself to the actual attractions. The reason I'm submitting it is:

A. The fact that it's probably the most iconic and memorable location in the series after the streets themselves (which have already been submitted) and Mr. X's office (which I don't think makes for a good first pick for a SoR stage), which is helped by the fact that it's also the origin of one of the most beloved tracks in the series

B. The aesthetic variety it brings to this game's stage lineup

C. I feel like if we were to look at potential alternative options for a SoR stage, this should be the one because I think it manages to still represent the vibe of Streets of Rage really well while doing something more interesting - most other potential options, while they could be more interesting than the streets, wouldn't exactly scream "Streets of Rage" at a first glance. But I feel like this one does.

Anyway, as for the layout, it's a completely flat scrolling stage that will periodically stop scrolling for some enemies to come in. They don't deal a lot of damage or knockback as to not break up the flow of the fight too much, and you can even take advantage of them to pull off larger combos on your opponents (the enemies that can appear include Galsia, Fog, Donovan, the Signals, Jack, Electra and Kusanagi). Also worth noting that the stage has invisible walls to further simulate Streets of Rage's gameplay, so in terms of layout, this stage could be described as basically a scrolling KOF Stadium except the walls can't break. Like the candles in Dracula's Castle, you can break objects in the background that can spawn items. They can also drop apples or chicken, which will restore your health.

An important detail is that the stage has 3 different sections. As it scrolls, you'll find a tunnel, and as the stage scrolls towards it, the stage goes dark and transitions to another location from the original stage! The 3 locations that are part of this cycle are:

-Streets: The part showcased in the image, where you just go through the park's main streets. There's benches, there's a rollercoaster and a castle in the background, very cool place overall.

-Arcade: The area that followed the streets in the original. Although it was a diagonal path in the original, it's been reworked to fit the stage layout here, having been made a straight line. Something cool we could do: in the original version, the arcade machines were generic, but here, we could turn them into appearances from SEGA arcade classics such as OutRun, House of the Dead, Daytona and so on.

-Cave: The final location in the original, this Alien lookin ass place which is presumably one of the attractions. Unique to this section is that the background objects will actually explode upon being broken, potentially dealing damage before spawning whatever it is they feel like spawning.

(The pirate area's been cut out for the sake of streamlining things a bit)

Worth noting that the streets act as not just the first section in the cycle, but also as a midpoint between the others - so the cycle goes Streets -> Arcade -> Streets -> Cave -> Streets, and so on and so forth.

Tracklist

1. Dreamer
2. S.O.R. Super Mix
3. Fighting in the Streets
4. Moon Beach
5. Violent Breathing
6. Go Straight
7. Under Logic
8. Wave 131
9. Revenge of Mr. X
10. Fuze
11. Dub Slash
12. The Poets II
13. They're Back
14. Funky HQ
15. An Exhibition
16. Rising Up
This is exactly the stage that I wanted to add, I just didn’t know how.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
These are both such great stage concepts and I hope if we get a second SOR rep, the second one comes into play. The reason I went with the Amusement Park is because I wanted to submit the arcade and pier but saw it was included already in the locations that stage went to. I think it's a unique way to represent the game that allows for some variety while not just being the streets and it's my personal most memorable stage in my favorite SOR game - though again, the Pine Pot should totally be a stage in the future if it doesn't win here.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OK, the votes have come in: the Amusement Park will be our Streets of Rage stage!

Onto the next job:

Job #47: Submit a Streets of Rage assist

So if you've paid any attention at all to the sequence we've followed with bringing new series into the roster, you probably saw this coming. Regardless, Streets of Rage has a great cast of characters to choose from, so it's ripe for an assist.

However, do keep in mind: whatever character wins will be disconfirmed. So be careful in that regard, especially with a series like SoR.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 47: Adam Hunter (& Family)

Upon being summoned Adam falls from the sky landing with a heavy crash, splitting the ground:

Adam-Hunter-Arriving.png

This assist ONLY activates if an opponent is hit by the intial landing by Adam(although being caught by the swords or rocks will count as 'hit')

As Streets of Rage is a multiplayer experience and usually involves dozens of enemies, I want to reflect that element in the assist:

If a single opponent is caught in the crash, Adam stands up, and cracks his knuckles(the opponent is frozen in the air during this animation), before proceeding to unleash a barrage of his boxing skills upon the hapless opponent. He finishes them off with his Star Move: Sword Strike where he leaps into the air with a fist full of green energy and smashes it into the ground, causing sword shaped energy to shoot from the split ground.

If TWO opponents are caught in the crash, a splash image of Adam's daughter, Cherry Hunter appears. She appears alongside him and proceeds to attack one opponent whilst her father does the above combo. Cherry slides forward across the ground playing her guitar, attempting to knock both opponents into her father who will finish off with his Sword Strike.

If THREE opponents are caught in the crash, a splash image of both Cherry Hunter and Adam's brother Eddie "Skate" Hunter (in his retro sprite look-he was never given an updated look!) appear, and both family members land next to him. They split off heading after one opponent each with Skate rolling across the ground and performing breakdancing combos to try and gather his opponent into the same place Adam is, Cherry sliding across the ground to get her opponent into the the same area and Adam unleashes the Sword Strike.

Here's a (very quick) mock up:

Hunters-finish-off.png

Notes:
  1. Whilst this assist does HUGE damage, where Adam will initially land is indicated by a glowing green marker on the floor making it easy to avoid if you're paying attention.
  2. For best results, it's more effective on smaller stages, or unleashed when an opponent is stuck in a combo. You can also unleash it on a pair of opponents who are engaged in their own battle to take advantage of their situation.
  3. This assist's charge time is dependant on how many opponents were hit in the last use. The first one of the battle charges as if just Adam appeared. If just Adam appears, it charges considerably quicker, with all three Hunters appearing being thrice as long a charge up time. If Adam misses completely it charges at half the time it would take to summon a successful Adam strike.
  4. Cherry and Skate are slightly easier to escape from than Adam, so if you're caught in the assist hope you're stuck with one of the two younger Hunter family members.
  5. As a result of point 3 and 4, players may want to consider how best to unleash Adam and his family.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #47: Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

1627035880547.png

Blaze is one of the three playable characters in SoR and appeared as a playable character in all games. Just like Axel, she's a former cop who quit the force to deal with the city's rampant criminal activity. She eventually got her old job back - only to lose it because of her temper. She works as a dance instructor when not beating up bad guys on streets.

As an all-rounder fighter, Blaze will attack her opponents with various judo moves. When summoned, she uses Embukyaku, a roundhouse kick that hits all around her and knocks down grounded enemies. Whether or not that hits, she then uses Kikou Shou, a blue burst of energy which gets stronger the closer the enemies are to the attack. If hit, she can retailiate with her chop attacks or famous jump kick. Before she leaves, she'll randomly reward her summoner with a battering item.

I think Blaze makes a lot of sense as a Streets of Rage character due to her popularity and status as the second face of the series.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #47: Streets of Rage Assist (Shiva)

Shiva is a recurring boss of the series since his debut in Streets of Rage 2 as the penultimate boss, where he used to be Mr. X's bodyguard and right-hand man in the Syndicate Crime Organization, and started opposing it because of their animal abuse and returned to his dojo where he teaches people martial arts, where he fought his rival-turned-friend Axel Stone and others before aiding them in Streets of Rage 4.

He is also playable in Streets of Rage 3 (where he was also both the first and final boss in a bad ending route) and 4, though in a incomplete state on former (probably inspired him not using weapons in latter hence him being called the "Living Weapon") and a DLC character in Mr. X Nightmare respectively.

Almost like Goro Majima, Shiva is one of the hardest assists to defeat due to him moving very fast, hitting very hard with his moves and a parry/counter. However, he'll take more damage compared to other assists. He uses martial arts attacks such as palm strikes, rising kicks, dual palm (Hashinsho) and even his special techinques like:
  • Final Crash: Shiva's trademark move, in which he turns his back, followed by a quick ducking twist and then projects an extended leg upwards with his foot in blue flames, as he hits a fighter with an uppercut-like kick while shouting "FINAL CRASH!". Pretty much his counterpart to Axel's Grand Upper.
  • Flaming Circular Kick: Whenever a fighter tries to attack Shiva, he will quickly counter by whipping out a spinning overhead back kick in a circular motion, with his foot engulfed in flames.
  • Handspring Palm Strike: Shiva hand-springs off the ground a fair distance forward and then does a downwards palm attack.
  • Senretsu Ken: Shiva quickly moves at blurry speeds and then performs an overhead kick.
  • Spirit Clone: Shiva conjures a shadowy clone of himself, as it randomly performs one of his attacks before dissolving. If only one opponent is left or when at low health, he can also summon two more at once, totaling of three clones.
When his time to assist a player is over, Shiva will bow at his summoner in respect and then vanishes off.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aaaaaaaaaaand the votes have arrived: the Hunter Family will be our Streets of Rage assist! Do keep in mind that this means Adam, Skate and Cherry are all out of the running for a playable spot now.

Onto the next job, and this one is uhhhhhh....a little different.

Job #48: Submit a concept for Arcade Mode

So, we've established by now that Arcade Mode will be a thing. What we haven't really touched upon yet is what it'll be like. How do we do that, you might ask? Simple: like almost everything else in this project, we'll leave it to the people. Basically, this job is for us to lay out how Arcade Mode will be structured: how many rounds, how are the fights themselves structured, what happens inbetween, what happens at the end, that's all up to you. I hope I made myself clear, now get to it or else Wild Woody will haunt your dreams.

Which speaking of, I found out a few days ago that Wild Woody's VA has a Twitter. He wants you to get vaccinated. What a lad.

Top Bottom