• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. Erica
2. Ciseaux

I know the sakura wars series from project x zone and have been meaning to try out the first game. Maybe if I can ever get a saturn emulator actually working...

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Ciseaux (He’s a funny rabbit man, how can I not choose him?)
2. Gemeni Sunrise (Would probably vote her first if there wasn’t a chance for Sakura Wars to potentially get a second rep. Her western design is a neat contrast to the Japanese aesthetic of Sakura and her legacy of staring in the first Sakura Wars game to make it to the west gives her a unique place in the franchise’s history.)

The Sakura Wars discussion reminds me that I should really get around to starting the first game. I have the English patch, it’s just a matter of finding the time to start it lmao

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
And voting is closed! Let's look at the results:

Sumire: 1 points
Ciseaux: 11 points
Erica: 3 points
Gemini: 6 points

Ciseaux will be our Sakura Wars assist!

Now then, it's gonna take a bit before we pull out our next discussion topic, as it's not exactly a proper "job" and it does entail me putting some work in, so it'll still be a couple hours until we get to that. So for now, just enjoy that we have funny rabbit man in our game.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OK so here's the thing:

This isn't our next job just yet, that'll happen in a bit, but before that, we gotta talk about something.

A while ago, when Yoshi put out an idea for a fun little side mode called VMU RPG, I mentioned something I intended on eventually doing: that was, before we started doing mode-related jobs, I'd put together a draft of the modes I'd consider to be the "standards". The safe additions. So that once we got to doing mode-related jobs, we could get to the interesting stuff right away. So.....here's what I got!

Vs.
-Regular Battle
-Tourney

Solo/Games and More
-Arcade Mode (we'll work out the specifics on this one eventually)
-All-Star Mode (I'll have to work on a chronologically-ordered list of our characters for this one)
-Training Mode
-Minigames

Vault
-Records
-Photo Album
-Replays
-Challenges
-Sound Test
-Capsule Toy Collection
-Capsule Toy Machine (ok, this one might be a bit weird to put in the list of safe additions, but I figure if we're including Capsule Toys as our main collectable, then it only makes sense that we'd also add the way they're acquired in real life - and in Shenmue. I imagine it'd basically work like the trophy lottery in Melee)
-VMU RPG (this is the one mode we've already added)
-Shop (I'd imagine it would sell music tracks, "special" alternate costumes, and a third thing we'll do a vote on)

-Casual Match
-Ranked Match
-Private Room
-Spectate

So the reason I made sure to show this off before already adding it is that I wanted to know if I should make any changes. Should I add something? Should I take something out? I want to know if I can get the go-ahead from the rest of the thread before establishing it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
OK so here's the thing:

This isn't our next job just yet, that'll happen in a bit, but before that, we gotta talk about something.

A while ago, when Yoshi put out an idea for a fun little side mode called VMU RPG, I mentioned something I intended on eventually doing: that was, before we started doing mode-related jobs, I'd put together a draft of the modes I'd consider to be the "standards". The safe additions. So that once we got to doing mode-related jobs, we could get to the interesting stuff right away. So.....here's what I got!

Vs.
-Regular Battle
-Tourney

Solo/Games and More
-Arcade Mode (we'll work out the specifics on this one eventually)
-All-Star Mode (I'll have to work on a chronologically-ordered list of our characters for this one)
-Training Mode

Vault
-Records
-Photo Album
-Replays
-Challenges
-Sound Test
-Capsule Toy Collection
-Capsule Toy Machine (ok, this one might be a bit weird to put in the list of safe additions, but I figure if we're including Capsule Toys as our main collectable, then it only makes sense that we'd also add the way they're acquired in real life - and in Shenmue. I imagine it'd basically work like the trophy lottery in Melee)
-VMU RPG (this is the one mode we've already added)
-Shop (I'd imagine it would sell music tracks, "special" alternate costumes, and a third thing we'll do a vote on)

-Casual Match (which would then give you the option to play with friends or with anyone)
-Ranked Match
-Spectate

So the reason I made sure to show this off before already adding it is that I wanted to know if I should make any changes. Should I add something? Should I take something out? I want to know if I can get the go-ahead from the rest of the thread before establishing it.
It seems like you covered all the basics. The only things I'd suggest would be a Private Room for online play, a Movies section in the Vault, and maybe a Mini-Games section in the Solo part which maybe VMU RPG can be placed in.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It seems like you covered all the basics. The only things I'd suggest would be a Private Room for online play, a Movies section in the Vault, and maybe a Mini-Games section in the Solo part which maybe VMU RPG can be placed in.
Private Room sounds good

I did consider adding a Movies section, but then I kinda hit a wall when I asked myself: what would it even have?

As for minigames, that's something I plan on doing eventually - I just didn't put it in there cause we don't have any yet. I have VMU RPG in the Vault because of the role Capsule Toys play in it

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
By the way, here's the order I had for All-Star Mode

Given the smaller roster size, I think it's more feasible to have an "each debut game gets its own quick round" setup here compared to something like Smash 4 or Ultimate

Here's what we'd have with our current roster (based on the JP release date for games made in Japan and the Western release date for games made in the West):

(DLC characters in italics)

Round 1: Pengo (Pengo - September 1982)
Round 2: Kurumi (Ninja Princess - March 1985)
Round 3: Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone - March 28th, 1986)
Round 4: Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd in Miracle World - November 1st, 1986)
Round 5: Joe (Shinobi - November 16th, 1987)
Round 6: Nei (Phantasy Star II - March 21st, 1989)
Round 7: Gilius (Golden Axe - May 1989)
Round 8: Arle, Satan (Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 - June 15th, 1990)
Round 9: Axel, Blaze (Streets of Rage - February 8th, 1991)
Round 10: Sonic, Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog - July 26th, 1991)
Round 11: Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - November 21st, 1992)
Round 12: Red (Gunstar Heroes - September 10th, 1993)
Round 13: Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog CD - September 23rd, 1993)
Round 14: Bowie (Shining Force II - October 1st, 1993)
Round 15: Akira, Sarah, Jacky, Pai (Virtua Fighter - December 1993)
Round 16: Asha (Monster World IV - April 1st, 1994)
Round 17: Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - May 27th, 1994)
Round 18: Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon - March 10th, 1995)
Round 19: Honey (Fighting Vipers - November 1995)
Round 20: Temjin (Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON - January 1996)
Round 21: NiGHTS (NiGHTS into Dreams - July 5th, 1996)
Round 22: Sakura (Sakura Taisen - September 27th, 1996)
Round 23: Magician (The House of the Dead - March 1997)
Round 24: Busujima (Zombie Revenge - March 1999)
Round 25: Amigo (Samba de Amigo - December 1999)
Round 26: Ulala (Space Channel 5 - December 16th, 1999)
Round 27: Ryo (Shenmue - December 29th, 1999)
Round 28: Beat (Jet Set Radio - June 29th, 2000)
Round 29: Vyse (Skies of Arcadia - October 5th, 2000)
Round 30: AiAi (Monkey Ball - June 23rd, 2001)
Round 31: Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - January 29th, 2004)
Round 32: Love/Berry (Love and Berry: Dress Up and Dance! - October 30th, 2004)
Round 33: Football Manager (Football Manager 2005 - November 4th, 2004)
Round 34: Gemini (Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - July 7th, 2005)
Round 35: Kiryu (Yakuza - December 8th, 2005)
Round 36: Raidou (Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army - March 2nd, 2006)
Round 37: Aigis (Persona 3 - July 13th, 2006)
Round 38: Gunner (Etrian Odyssey II - February 21st, 2008)
Round 39: Alicia, Selvaria (Valkyria Chronicles - April 24th, 2008)
Round 40: Princess (7th Dragon - March 5th, 2009)
Round 41: Bayonetta (Bayonetta - October 29th, 2009)
Round 42: Matoi (Phantasy Star Online 2 - July 4th, 2012)
Round 43: Joker (Persona 5 - September 15th, 2016)
Round 44: Zheng Jiang (Total War: Three Kingdoms - May 23rd, 2019)
Round 45: Ichiban (Yakuza: Like a Dragon - January 16th, 2020)

I'll try and update this as we add more characters

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OK, so it seems like everyone's fine with this lineup. The reason I did this now is cause our next job just so happens to be...

Job #29: Submit a new Vs. mode

So, with basis on the basic list of modes that has been set up, this mode would be on the same category as regular battles and Tourney Mode. So essentially, a mode where the main focus is multiple players beating the **** out of each other. Keep in mind that since this would be a separate mode, I'm not really looking for something as simple as adding timed or percentage-based matches or whatever - rather, something that plays with the way fights play out in a more "fun" manner. Something along the lines of Squad Strike, Smashdown or Coin Battle is what I'm looking for, basically.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to add all the modes to the OP. Hoo boy.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #29: Circuit Mode

A mode where multiple players can fight after selecting a number of stages between 2 and 5. In this mode, rather than getting KOd, characters actually change the stage when they are thrown out of the boundaries. This transition sends all players into a selected stage and is accompanied by a glass shatter visual.

This mode can be customizable to change the number of stages travelled, their order (which can be random) and whether the winner will be decided by the amount of KOs or wall breaks.

I think this would be a fun way of adding some dynamic background to the more static stages and give players some control over when to shift stages. It'll be also a cool reference to some traditional fighting games that handle this mechanic similarly.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Might as well throw my own hat in the ring for this one

Job #29: Capture the Chao

OK, so Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing had a battle mode called "Capture the Chao", where it was essentially Capture the Flag....but with Chao! And I think it's a pretty fun idea and a Capture the Flag mode is a good fit for a crazy platform fighter like this, so that's what I'm going with.

So a Chao spawns at one of several predetermined points in the stage. You can then pick it up, but if you get hit, you lose it. The objective is to hold onto the Chao for 10 seconds - if you do so, you gain a point and another Chao spawns. When time runs out, whoever has captured the most Chao wins.

In a game like this, of course, the result ends up being absolute madness, as everyone beats each other's asses in an attempt to get that Chao.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the results have come in: Capture the Chao will be our newest mode addition! Congrats to, uhhhhhh...me, I guess.
e33.jpg
Onto our next job:

Job #30: Submit a close-range melee item

Just one more job before Ulala: so for our first few item prompts, we're doing different archetypes: we have a shooting item, an invincibility item and a healing item, and since we've just come off doing a job for modes that place a heavy focus on beating the **** out of people, we're now including an item we can beat the **** out of people with.

Just like last time, they can be from any SEGA series. Go nuts.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #30: No-Entry Sign (Streets of Rage 4)

1623519436593.png

No-Entry Signs are one of the weapons players can find scattered through the street levels. Streets of Rage games have a big focus on picking up items and using them to beat the **** out of people, so it makes sense to make use of them in here.

This item wouldn't have any particular traits and can be the simplest clubbing item that fighters can swing around and throw.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job 30
Bicycle (Yakuza)

Whoever picks up the item holds up the bicycle above their head and then swings it forward. If it hits an enemy the bike will break and leave a wheel you can throw (A little bit like Wario’s side B)

I think the item may not at first seem like it’s important enough to add as an item, but I think it’s good to represent the “pick up pretty much anything and use it as an item” of the Yakuza series.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just for funsies.

Job 30: Seaman (Seaman)
Seaman-cut-out.png

If you've ever wanted to hit Sonic around the face with a wet fish, here's your chance.

What's that? That isn't a fish? I suppose not, it's the snarky and creepy (but somewhat philosophical and highly intelligent) Seaman.
Seaman will shout insults at both the player character and the person being smacked with him in his monotone grumpy voice as you whale on the enemy.
(Whale form of Seaman unavailable unfortunately)

Let's be real; Seaman isn't particularly capable as either a Fighter or an assist...so why not a melee weapon?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, here's a little somethin to distract us from all the E3 leaks:

First off, item voting is closed! Let's look at the results:

No-Entry Sign: 2 points
Golden Axe: 11 points
Bicycle: 0 points
Seaman: 8 points

The Golden Axe will be our next item! And with that, here's our next job:

Job #31: Submit a moveset for Ulala

Alright, we had a little break period here, we stopped a bit to talk about other things, but now it's time to get back to covering the main stuff! Ya know how movesets work by now: general gameplay overview, notable normal attacks, specials and All-Star Move, misc. info, all that jazz. Now let's get to it!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #26: Ulala

Moveset:

General playstyle:
In terms of general stats, Ulala is a tall, lightweight fighter who has unusual timing and hitbox placements for her moves. Her walk is among the slowest in the game as she struts dancing around but she can run moderately fast. Most of Ulala's attacks are fast and weak, encouraging players to chain them together in quick succession. With these weaknesses combined, she is a character that has to rely on reacting to her opponents’ moves and put them into disadvantageous situations with her combos and specials.

Notable normal attacks: Ulala's attacks take inspiration from Space Channel 5 commands. Her tilts are taken from her Left, Right, Up, and Down commands, where she quickly points towards said directions. She swings her guitar forward for her forward smash and fires with her Tension Blasters simultaneously in her down smash. Her other moves usually resemble dance moves and have her exaggeratedly pose.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special: Chu Beam. Ulala pulls out her two Tension Blasters from their holster and points them forward. Tapping the special button will make her shoot green blasts with it while exclaiming “chu!”. If the button is held, she’ll charge up and release a single, strong charge of pink hearts that can be stored and stuns the opponent on contact (Hey Beam), while exclaiming “hey!”. Rhythmically tapping the button will allow Ulala to move left and right and aim up and down while shooting.

Side Special: Guitar Battle. Ulala wails on her electro guitar and releases a shockwave that reflects projectiles and reverses opponents. If the button is held instead of pressed, she’ll continue strumming her guitar, sending weak shockwaves that stop weak projectiles and lightly damages nearby opponents but have a lot of end lag.

Up Special: Astro Glider. Ulala crouches and leaps upward with a burst of blue sound waves from her jetpack. While its hitbox is small, her jetpack can spike the opponent on this initial jump. At the peak of the move, Ulala can cancel out of this attack with an air dash or an aerial attack or slowly float downwards.

Down Special: Dance Energy Charge. Ulala goes through a lengthy animation in which she makes a short dance and strikes a pose. During this pose, five visual commands appear above her, which can be either left, right, up, down, chu (special), or pose (attack). If all of them are completed correctly and the move goes uninterrupted, Ulala will receive a damage and speed multiplier for a while, indicated by a pink glow surrounding her. The multiplier and duration depend on how well she does.

All-Star Move: Morolian Invasion. Ulala shouts “Whatever happens, I'll give it a dance!” and jumps out of the screen only to appear on a flying platform in the background. During the course of the move, Morolians from Space Channel 5 appears and invade the stage, dancing like there is no tomorrow and forcing fighters they come in contact with to dance and take constant damage. a. Of course, the background music changes into Space Channel 5 Main Theme regardless of the stage. Rhythmic button taps increase the damage dealt by Morolians. When the move ends, Morolians cheer and teleport away, launching anyone near them.

Other:

Aesthetics:
Ulala's design and some of her animations like her shielding pose are taken from Space Channel 5 VR. Ulala possesses a wider range of idle animations compared to any other character, all of which are dance moves from her games. She also has crowd reactions for all of her taunts. She is voiced by Cherami Leigh in Western regions and Mineko Okamura in Asian regions.

Entrance animation: Ulala teleports to the stage with a series of rescue rings acting as a tractor beam and strikes a pose. She can say "Grooove evening, viewers!" or “Everyone, sit back and enjoy the show!” or “Hey there, space cats!”

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Ulala poses and says “Let’s dance!”. She has three different poses that she rotates in between.
Taunt 2: Ulala brandishes her Tension Blasters and points them in different directions while boasting “Stay tuned~!”. If she’s behind a stock, she might also say “I’ve got a funky feeling about this!”
Taunt 3: Ulala says “A comment, if you please!” and holds her microphone forward.

Victory Theme: Ulala’s Swinging Report Show

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Ulala dances with four Morolians mimicking her moves and finishes it by saying “We beat them hands down!”
Victory 2: Ulala does her iconic “Space Channel 5” pose while exclaiming the name of her show as "Ulala's Swingin' Report Show, Special Broadcast!" or "Space Channel 5 VR! Kinda Funky News Flash!" depending on which alt she uses.
Victory 3: Ulala accompanies her victory theme with her guitar while saying "When it comes to dancing... We are unbeatable, baby!" or "Tune in for the next time!"

Alternate Costumes:

1623777934859.png
1623777844255.png
1623777851899.png
1623777859064.png

1623777884215.png
1623777892203.png
1623777876667.png
1623777866223.png

These are only color references, Ulala's model won't actually change.

Bonus: Ulala Toy Figure

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
OK, so it doesn't seem like anyone else is really willing to give their own take on Ulala. So, osby's moveset wins by default.

Now let's get to the next job:

Job #32: Submit a Space Channel 5 stage

It'd be weird as hell if SC5 didn't have its own stage, what with having its own character in the roster and a very unique setting and style to pull from! I'm interested in seeing what y'all have in store this time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #32: Spaceport 9

1623860796701.png

Spaceport 9 is the first level of Space Channel 5. It is a dock for spaceships on Earth and is where Ulala first encounters the invading Morolians. The stage is shaped like a futuristic airport with a sleek white interior design and various desks, banks, and screens in the background. The background also includes Morolians and civilians who can react to the ongoing battles.

The stage is shaped like an oval with no possible ring-outs. After all, you can't just leave an opening in a space station. There are two short platforms coming out of the walls on the two sides and one large platform in the middle. There are no hazards at this stage.

When selected in versus modes, there is a 20% chance that the coloring of the background will be darker with neon highlights:

1623861084179.png

Tracklist:
  1. Mexican Flyer
  2. Paya Paya... Lounge Music (remix)
  3. Getting the Truth
  4. Mororin! Monroe! Rapid Geminis In The Monitor
  5. Space Ship Trapped in the Galaxy
  6. Tapioka the Huge Dancer
  7. Evila: Attack of the Perfect Reporter
  8. Asteroid Belt Go!
  9. Space Ship Strut
  10. Dueling Guitars
  11. Invasion!
  12. Battle of the Bands
  13. Rescue Space Michael
  14. asteroid belt:go! go! ”astrobeat jr.”
  15. Single Player Theme (ChuChu Rocket!, remix)
  16. Flight in the Dark (SEGA Super GT)

Last edited:

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know much about Space Channel 5, but I have a unique idea for a stage from the series of games.

Channel 5
8B6D815E-716D-48EC-95F2-F49CD232DCCA.png

Channel 5 is a space broadcasting channel in the Space Channel 5 series. As its name implies, it is the fifth Channel in the galaxy. Channel 5 is one of the seven known Channels in the era of Space Channel 5, and is famous for being the main protagonist's channel.

This stage would transform into different shows featured on Channel 5. When transitioning into shows, the screen would have a static effect for 5 seconds. The shows on Channel 5 are:
  • Ulala's Swingin' Report Show, hosted by Ulala, this is the top-rated show of Channel 5.
  • News Flash, although it is not a real TV show, it acts as a breaking-news banner of sorts.
  • Tasty Cookin', a Cooking show, featuring Xiao Xing Lum.
  • Go! Go! Channel 5! (Go Go Cheergirls! in the Japanese version), stated as a "Channel 5's hit morning show", is hosted by the Space Cheerleaders, to give support to Ulala and other staff members.
  • Alien Up Down Quiz!
  • Star News Station, hosted by Brent and Valala.
  • News Missile
  • Good Morning Ulala
  • Space News
  • Anime (New Moonwalker)
  • Chief Michael's Tonight It's Super Beat It!
  • SEGA Rally Championship, which is also a reference to the video game of the same name.
  • Daily Report 11:30
  • Short News
  • Soccer Space League
  • Sports News 23:25
  • Maikou's Space English

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the results have come in: Channel 5 will be our Space Channel 5 stage! With that said, since the winning submission didn't come with its own tracklist, I'll be combining this stage with the other submission's tracklist. osby osby You cool with this? (since you submitted Spaceport 9)

Job #33: Submit a Space Channel 5 assist

Well, here's our final Space Channel 5 round: every series with a large enough cast to pull from is getting its own assist, and this one is no different. As you know, just describe the character and what they'd do as an assist!

And no, you can't submit Space Michael.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #33: Pudding

1624018161037.png

Pudding is the deuteragonist of the Space Channel 5 series. She is a reporter of Channel 42 and the rival of Ulala. While she can be selfish and rude, she helps Ulala on multiple occasions to defeat threats bigger than their fights.

When summoned, Pudding may say "Good evening everyone, I am Pudding." or "Get your coverage from Channel 42!". She appears on her Spacebird 42 and rides it back and forth in a horizontal line, knocking enemies out of her path. When she turns, she'll send three shockwaves from her guitar that travels in a fan motion. Her summoner can use her bike to hold onto if they have trouble recovering. Pudding will say "Yeah, I'm so great!" or "That was too easy!" before leaving.

I think Pudding makes the most sense as a Space Channel 5 assist. She's popular, important, and appeared along with Ulala in more than one crossover. While she would work as a Ulala clone, her series can honestly do without a second character.

Alright, the results have come in: Channel 5 will be our Space Channel 5 stage! With that said, since the winning submission didn't come with its own tracklist, I'll be combining this stage with the other submission's tracklist. osby osby You cool with this? (since you submitted Spaceport 9)
Sure. If AirMac1 AirMac1 wants to add their own tracks, I'm also fine with reviewing the tracklist.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Job #33: Pudding

View attachment 319819

Pudding is the deuteragonist of the Space Channel 5 series. She is a reporter of Channel 42 and the rival of Ulala. While she can be selfish and rude, she helps Ulala on multiple occasions to defeat threats bigger than their fights.

When summoned, Pudding may say "Good evening everyone, I am Pudding." or "Get your coverage from Channel 42!". She appears on her Spacebird 42 and rides it back and forth in a horizontal line, knocking enemies out of her path. When she turns, she'll send three shockwaves from her guitar that travels in a fan motion. Her summoner can use her bike to hold onto if they have trouble recovering. Pudding will say "Yeah, I'm so great!" or "That was too easy!" before leaving.

I think Pudding makes the most sense as a Space Channel 5 assist. She's popular, important, and appeared along with Ulala in more than one crossover. While she would work as a Ulala clone, her series can honestly do without a second character.

Sure. If AirMac1 AirMac1 wants to add their own tracks, I'm also fine with reviewing the tracklist.
Yes! I won something! I didn’t really know I was supposed to add a tracklist, my bad.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #33: Amogus Morolians

73F62D3A-E667-48DE-91A7-17769B558B73.png

The Morolians are the mascots of the Space Channel 5 franchise and serve as a secondary antagonist in the first game. They’re responsible for having invaded earth in 1999, although their attempt was thwarted by the one and only Michael Jackson (yes really. Space Channel 5 lore is wild, yall)

In their first appearance, the Morolians are seen invading Spaceport 9 and brainwashing people into dancing, which is what they’ll be doing for their assist. When summoned, a Morolian will appear to shoot a raygun at any opponents, causing them to taunt uncontrollably for a few seconds. This will leave any opponents open to attacks from whoever summomed the Morolians.

I’m not too familiar with Space Channel 5 since it’s been forever since I played it, but I think the Morolians make a lot of sense as an assist. Their ability would be really unique and they serve as somewhat of a mascot for the franchise. I originally was just gonna submit them because “haha funny Among Us,” but after doing some research on them I realized that the SC5 lore is actually amazing because Michael Jackson canonically exists in this universe.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The votes are in: Pudding will be our Space Channel 5 assist! Which means that just like characters like Majima and Janken, she's ****ing dead now. Keep that in mind for when we do jobs for additional series reps.

Now then, here's our final job before the next character prompt. And guess what? It's another assist!

Job #34: Submit a "misc." assist from a SEGA arcade game

So of course, with our assist lineup, we gotta have a few from series not represented in the roster: it gives more IPs significant roles and it spices things up! So for our first one, we're starting off in the same place that we started doing our "other" series stages: the arcades.

Now then, I imagine this should be pretty interesting compared to the stage prompt: with that one, there were some pretty obvious picks to submit, you had your OutRuns, your After Burners, your Daytonas, and so on - and sure enough, we walked outta there with an OutRun stage. But with this one, it really could be anything! The possibilities are all over the place! So this should be a pretty varied job to observe. I wanna see what you guys can pull out!

Keep in mind: If a given character wins, it will not only disconfirm that character, but also their entire series, relative to the playable roster - at least for the base game. They can still get a stage, though.

And just like last time, I'm linking to a list:

Let's see what we end up getting outta this!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 34: Bonanza Bros.

While you could argue that the Bonanza Bros would make for fine fighters, I really feel like this plus a stage is where I'd put them. Bonanza Bros is a classic Sega arcade game featuring a co-op gameplay style where the titular burglars try and rob a bank. I think it'd be fun to have two guys running around firing at opponents. This gets us some really meaty arcade representation without sacrificing Opa-Opa or Space Harrier, who I would prefer as reps. Of course, I'm a Bonanza Bros fan too or else I wouldn't be nominating them, but y'know.

Top Bottom