• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
The only track I'd definitely want from DX at this point is that fist pumping remix they used in the trailer that kicks in here at 0:22:
but other than that, I'd be really happy with this as the tracklist.

Music and tracklist gathering has always been my weakest area, so I'll take any suggestions gladly!
Thanks! And now when you said it, that song would easily replace Radaxian/Janken's Castle in a tracklist when a remake comes out, because we would hear it in it's entirety. Changed it anyway, though. (would be a fair way to get a tie, eh?)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think we'll soon get into Kiryu after finishing the current prompts. The reveals of Lost Judgement gave us some interesting insight about how the franchise will move forward so I was thinking about how that would affect our Yakuza representation.

Now, I don't expect us to add multiple Yakuza characters, but I think if we had to add three ones, each of them could represent another part of the series' gameplay.

Kazuma Kiryu: Heat mechanic. It's central to most games he starred in. While his stance system in Yakuza 0 was popular, you still have...
Takayuki Yagami: Stance mechanic. Yagami can be our resident stance fighter, changing between Crane, Tiger and most recently, Snake styles.
Ichiban Kasuga: Finally, Ichiban could make use of the RPG style that the main games will use from now on, with status buffs, elemental attacks and skills from different job classes.

Again, this is just hypothetical but it was a useful thought experiment.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Now, I don't expect us to add multiple Yakuza characters,
More than one Yakuza character is something that could happen, but if it does, we're not going over 2.

To reiterate our plan for additional characters, besides Sonic and VF which we've gone over a million times already, throughout this project we're doing three votes on an additional character from any other series on this roster besides the other two, which will be spaced out so that each time, we have more series to work with.

Based on the roadmap of character prompts we've got until the first one of these, I'm fully expecting a Yakuza character to be the winner of the first one tbh

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Based on the roadmap of character prompts we've got until the first one of these, I'm fully expecting a Yakuza character to be the winner of the first one tbh
Considering that Kasuga was one of the characters in a first vote job for modern reps before Kiryu won, I'll expect Majima to show up as an assist, at least.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd feel pretty confident with Yakuza coming away with one of those additional slots. Goro and Kasuga are both insanely popular to the point even a Yakuza newbie like me knows of them.

Not sure I'll be quite as much use in this particular round as I only just bought Yakuza 0 on Steam last Thursday and haven't started playing it yet, but plan to start tonight.

Also; it might be worth tagging both TheThingamajig(who nominated Kiryu) and Mr. Robotto(who nominated Kasuga) when we get to the Yakuza round. I'm sure they'd like to see how that goes and probably have a few suggestions themselves.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #17: Lake Fathom

1620633146516.png

Lake Fathom is the second level from Alex Kidd in Miracle World. It is a large lake at the foot of Mt. Eternal and uses its remake design for this game. It is a medium-sized stage with no ring-out locations. It has an asymmetrical, oval shape with jagged stairs and diagonal walls surrounding the edges. Notable interactable objects include some breakable blocks on the left side that open to a small cave. If the hazards are turned on, all characters and items receive a notable drop in their airspeed and gravity but a bonus to their jump height, moving as if they're underwater.

Tracklist:

I don't really have anything to add to tonygameman's tracklist so I'll just propose two miscellaneous tracks from other SEGA games:
  1. St. Gabriel's Mask (Ecco the Dolphin)
  2. Splash Wave (OutRun)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Submissions for both the Virtua Fighter assist and Alex Kidd stage are closing tomorrow. If any of y'all out there have any ideas for these prompts, this is your chance

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For the sake of additional variety, I'd like to submit one more option that differs from what we've got so far, if I'm allowed.

I cannot recall if we had a strict one submission per person rule or not. If so, err...disregard.

Job 17: Janken Stage
So Mount Eternal is a dynamic stage with a stage shift, and Osby's Lake Fathom has some really cool properties with the physics having an underwater effect.

To round these options out I thought we might like a more simplistic stage as an option too.

Introducing the Janken Stage.

Janken-Stage.png

(please excuse the dodgy photoshop work on the stage background, I had less time than normal today!)
Those who have played Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle are probably familiar with this place of death...Alex dies horribly in these so called shops.

This particular version would be based on the Miracle World DX version(although these stages weren't in the original Master System title).

The animal people in the foreground cheer you on as the fighters on stage perform for them.

Despite what you may think, the curtains don't actually contain a walk off, instead if players go behind the curtains for too long(more than two seconds), they are kicked back out(which does a little damage) onto the stage by one of the following characters:
Janken-Stage-cameos.png

(The lesser opponents from Enchanted Castle: Tahnya, Jangorilla, Pootaroh and the Great Hermit respectively. Tahnya and Jangorilla kick players back from the left, Pootaroh and the Great Hermit from the right side of the stage.)

When playing on this particular stage, the start of the fight occurs when the curtains draw back revealing the fighters, and as the match ends, the curtains close and the animal audience stands up and applauds.

If a player smashes into the ceiling, or simply attacks it enough, they can knock a weight down from above which can crush opponents doing a ton of damage...but...the weight drop is random which means the fighter that activated it or a totally different one could get caught in the crossfire.

This particular hazard can be switched off in the options.

Musical track additions to Tonygameman's tracklist:

1. Show Time - Rhythm Thief
2. Teddy Boy Blues Main theme - Teddy Boy Blues

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For the sake of additional variety, I'd like to submit one more option that differs from what we've got so far, if I'm allowed.

I cannot recall if we had a strict one submission per person rule or not. If so, err...disregard.

Job 17: Janken Stage
So Mount Eternal is a dynamic stage with a stage shift, and Osby's Lake Fathom has some really cool properties with the physics having an underwater effect.

To round these options out I thought we might like a more simplistic stage as an option too.

Introducing the Janken Stage.

View attachment 314596
(please excuse the dodgy photoshop work on the stage background, I had less time than normal today!)
Those who have played Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle are probably familiar with this place of death...Alex dies horribly in these so called shops.

This particular version would be based on the Miracle World DX version(although these stages weren't in the original Master System title).

The animal people in the foreground cheer you on as the fighters on stage perform for them.

Despite what you may think, the curtains don't actually contain a walk off, instead if players go behind the curtains for too long(more than two seconds), they are kicked back out(which does a little damage) onto the stage by one of the following characters:
View attachment 314603
(The lesser opponents from Enchanted Castle: Tahnya, Jangorilla, Pootaroh and the Great Hermit respectively. Tahnya and Jangorilla kick players back from the left, Pootaroh and the Great Hermit from the right side of the stage.)

When playing on this particular stage, the start of the fight occurs when the curtains draw back revealing the fighters, and as the match ends, the curtains close and the animal audience stands up and applauds.

If a player smashes into the ceiling, or simply attacks it enough, they can knock a weight down from above which can crush opponents doing a ton of damage...but...the weight drop is random which means the fighter that activated it or a totally different one could get caught in the crossfire.

This particular hazard can be switched off in the options.

Musical track additions to Tonygameman's tracklist:

1. Show Time - Rhythm Thief
2. Teddy Boy Blues Main theme - Teddy Boy Blues
OK so since this is, like, an unprecedented situation, I'll let it slide just this one time

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand.....it's double voting time! That's right, both the VF assist and Alex Kidd stage are getting voted on at the same time! Here's a look at your candidates:

Virtua Fighter Assist

Kage-Maru ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Lau Chan ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
El Blaze ( osby osby )

Please refer to this poll to vote:

Alex Kidd Stage

Mt. Eternal ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Lake Fathom ( osby osby )
Janken Stage (...also YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Please go to this poll to vote:

After voting ends tomorrow, I'll be pushing out our final 2 prompts before we get to Kiryu...and only one of them is Alex Kidd-related

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just adding a few RPG mooks to pass time:

Imperial Shocktrooper (Valkyria Chronicles, 2008)
Sugar (Streets of Rage 4, 2020)
Zuburoka (Golden Axe, 1989)

Also, while on the topic of open prompts: How are we going to handle Toy Capsules? I imagine they'll be open to submissions all the time but it might be good to set some rules so people don't just add like 40 Sonic toys at once.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also, while on the topic of open prompts: How are we going to handle Toy Capsules? I imagine they'll be open to submissions all the time but it might be good to set some rules so people don't just add like 40 Sonic toys at once.
Honestly I still haven't decided if we'll even have Toy Capsule submissions at all so I'm not super sure as to how we'd handle them yet. Prolly something more or less like what we've got for VMU RPG mooks.

With that said...

The votes have come in - Lau Chan will be our Virtua Fighter assist and Mt. Eternal will be our Alex Kidd stage! I'll edit them into the OP in a sec.

And it's time for our final two jobs before Kiryu:

Job #18: Submit an Alex Kidd assist

And it's time we wrap up our Alex Kidd content wave with a job that's admittedly a bit harder, as the non-Alex cast of Alex Kidd is definitely more obscure than the casts of Sonic or VF, but there's still room to work with - just gotta get creative!

Job #19: Submit a healing item from any series

And would ya look at that, a job that isn't restricted to one of our 4 starter series! Healing items are a common item type in platform fighters and games in general, so it's kind of a given to have one here. As said though, in an effort to branch out a little here, you can pull from literally any SEGA IP for this job - the only exception is Sonic, cause we've just added a Sonic item. Gotta let other series shine as well.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 18: Alex Kidd Assist

Janken the Great

Janken-Assist-Trophy.png

The main antagonist from Miracle World, again with his DX look(although I can't be certain past his waist, there's no waist down shots of him in the trailer).

When summoned, the tyrant Janken will begin to glow blue as the background darkens, transforming anyone apart from his summoner into stone...at least within a certain radius. The effect lasts five seconds, allowing the summoner to wail on the petrified opponents during that period.

Best used when close to opponents or when an opponent is desperately trying to make it back over a certain death pit...because funnily enough when transformed into stone they...well...they drop like a rock.

Job 19: Healing Item

Golden-Axe-Health-Elf.png

Golden Axe Thieves otherwise known as Goblins, Elves or Gnomes, although personally I like to call them "Health Elfs".

In between stages in Golden Axe these little diminuitive buggers would show up with their sacks brimming, robbing Gilius, Tyris and Ax as they slept...until you woke up and took swipes at them, forcing them to release the ill gotten gains they'd stolen be it magic, or more appropriately here; health.

Fighters can pummel these little guys to get them to drop up to three meat rations to restore their health, with each healing 50 HP. Be quick though, because they're pretty damn speedy and don't hang around in the same spot for too long, leaping all over the stage as they do so.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 19

Energy Drinks (Yakuza)

These are the main healing item in the games, each drink has a distinct appearance and each one does something slightly different

Rarity is determined by how much health they give, the lowest amount are the most common, the highest amount are the rarest

Toughness Lite
Heals up only a tiny bit

Toughness Z
Heals up a small amount

Toughness ZZ
Restores a moderate amount of health

Toughness Emperor
Heals up a large amount

Toughness Infinity
Fully restores health

Tauriner
Increases the special meter only a little bit

Tauriner +
Moderately increases the special meter

Tauriner ++
Increases the Special meter by a large amount

Tauriner Maximum
Fully increases the Special Meter

Staminan Light
Increases Health and Special meter by a tiny amount

Staminan X
Increases Health and Special meter by a small amount

Staminan XX
Increase Health and Special meter by a moderate amount

Staminan Royale
Increases Health and Special by a large amount

Staminan Spark
Fully restores health and fully fills the special meter

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #18: Stella from Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

1620884454959.png

Stella appeared in the game Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (and in nowhere else, as you can see from the best official art of her that I could find), where she serves as the second-player character. Her appearance here will be a unique design reflecting Alex's new look, similar to Wolf and Roy's Smash-original designs.

When summoned, she'll raise a star to the air, which starts shining intensely. If she goes uninterrupted for 3 seconds, she'll cheer on her summoner as the star grants them a large amount of All-Star charge. During this time, she's defenseless but hardly helpless. Anyone who attacks Stella will be retaliated with a powerful punch that sends them flying. However, doing so will cancel her charge and only give the player a small amount of meter.

Stella doesn't have any outstanding abilities on her own so I took some artistic liberties because I wanted to have Alex Kidd's Luigi here to some extend (especially considering she was a girl doing so all the way back to 1986).

Job #19: Golden Frog from The House of the Dead series.
1620846410148.png
Just like in its games, Golden Frog awards the player with a significant bonus, normally a score bonus but a huge healing effect in this game. The catch? Yes. You have to catch it first and it doesn't make it easy as it tries to hop away from a fighter as soon as they approach it. A good technique would be waiting for other players to chase it towards you but what if they catch up to it?

THOTD also has regular healing items in the form of medical kits but I wanted to try picking something a little more unique.

i can only think of sonic reps lol
One of the goals of this thread, at least as far as I can see, is to help people to know more about SEGA games other than Sonic. We'll add other Sonic characters down the line, so you should stick around for them but meanwhile, this can be a good opportunity to broaden your horizons. :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i can only think of sonic reps lol
Tbh man, all I knew really well prior to this thread was Sonic, Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage and Gunstar Heroes with a lot of the other series only known due to their appearances in the Sega All Star games such as Super Monkey Ball and Samba Di Amigo.

But the more I looked up, the more amazed I was at the wealth of SEGA series that barely even got a look in.

It's fascinating stuff to me. It's like when I first got into Smash and discovered there was more to Nintendo than Mario, Pokémon, Zelda and Donkey Kong.

Would recommend several Youtube channels that cover complete histories of series such as Sega Lord X, Slope's Game Room and Matt McMuscles (more his Flophouse Files than Wha Happuns for this, but they're also a good watch) if you'd like to see what else SEGA could have offered if only they didn't abandon everything other than Sonic, Virtua Fighter and Yakuza.

Edit: Hardcore Gaming 101 has also been a really helpful read for me, with their write up reviews over many of SEGA's forgotten gems, and to a lesser extent SEGAretro.org for a more general overview.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tbh man, all I knew really well prior to this thread was Sonic, Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage and Gunstar Heroes with a lot of the other series only known due to their appearances in the Sega All Star games such as Super Monkey Ball and Samba Di Amigo.

But the more I looked up, the more amazed I was at the wealth of SEGA series that barely even got a look in.

It's fascinating stuff to me. It's like when I first got into Smash and discovered there was more to Nintendo than Mario, Pokémon, Zelda and Donkey Kong.

Would recommend several Youtube channels that cover complete histories of series such as Sega Lord X, Slope's Game Room and Matt McMuscles (more his Flophouse Files than Wha Happuns for this, but they're also a good watch) if you'd like to see what else SEGA could have offered if only they didn't abandon everything other than Sonic, Virtua Fighter and Yakuza.
Funny enough, Virtua Fighter's been dormant for a while and is only getting a new release this year.

SEGA's been bringing a lot of their old games back in the last few years (New Sakura Wars, Banana Blitz HD, SoR4, Space Channel 5 VR, Panzer Dragoon remake, Alex Kidd remake, etc.) so I think they realized how many dedicated fans those games still have. But I'd say they still have quite a few active franchises that tend to flew under the radars: Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star Online, Border Break, 7th Dragon, Puyo Puyo, Total War and Shining series, for example. And that's without going into ATLUS and Platinum Games stuff.

I wish there wasn't such a big division between old and new SEGA fans, both sides have a lot of gems to offer.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wish there wasn't such a big division between old and new SEGA fans, both sides have a lot of gems to offer.
Very true.

If nothing else this thread has both re-awokened my SEGA nostalgia and is making me try some of those series I missed out on, broadening my horizons as you suggested.

So far really enjoyed my time with Yakuza 0, kicking myself for not trying the series sooner.

Luckily for myself Steam has a few of these titles readily available:
Crazy Taxi's been an insane amount of fun for such a simple concept.
I grabbed Shenmue 1 and 2 (3 was a little too pricey for me right now), NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Mania+(which I kept forgetting to grab) Space Channel 5 part 2 and Valkyria Chronicles.

Definitely picking up the Panzer Dragoon remake when it's next on sale as well as the Typing of the Dead.

Not much of a traditional JRPG guy, but if any turn based JRPG was going to have a chance with me it'd be Skies of Arcadia judging by the locations, world, cast and pirate theming. Really wish SEGA had put that one on Steam too.

p1cklee0424

Smash Cadet
One of the goals of this thread, at least as far as I can see, is to help people to know more about SEGA games other than Sonic. We'll add other Sonic characters down the line, so you should stick around for them but meanwhile, this can be a good opportunity to broaden your horizons. :)
ok, sounds good

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Voting is over: Janken the Great is our Alex Kidd assist and Energy Drinks are our next item!

Which hey, since a Yakuza item won, that's a perfect segway into...

Job #20: Submit a moveset for Kazuma Kiryu

It's about time we start covering the haha funee yakoozer man. You know the drill by now when it comes to movesets.

On a related note:

Job #21: Submit a Yakuza stage

Same deal, submit a stage from Yakuza, general overview, layout, you can also add a tracklist of 16 songs max, ya know all this.

After these two jobs we have.....three more, I think? until we finally get to our next character prompt. Hang in there, guys, we're almost there...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 20

Kiryu would be a heavier character with some fast and powerful attacks. He would also have a gimmick

Gimmick: Heat, Kiryu would have a Heat meter underneath his Special Meter. the more damage you do your heat meter charges when you have max heat certain attacks change and have extra knockback and damage taking damage decreases your heat.

His neutral attacks would all use the "Dragon Of Dojima" Fighting style, this is the final style in Yakuza 0 and the default style in the games going forwards. This style is very fast and powerful, it is a very grounded style. Because of the grounded nature of this style, Kiryu is not very good in the air but not entirely helpless. With heat some attacks change like a powerful punch turning into a more powerful hand clap and A Kick being added to a three hit punch combo are 2 major examples. Kiryu would also have a pretty strong Grab Game

Special Attacks:

Neutral - Collateral: Kiryu picks up an item off the ground. These items are, A Random Energy Drink, A Baseball Bat, A Bicycle, A Trash Can. Each of these items act like normal items, the Bicylce and Trash Can are giant throwable items that do a lot of damage. The Baseball bat is essentially a clone of the Home Run bat from smash only it does not instantly KO.

Side - Beast Charge: This would be a move taken directly from Kiryu's Beast Style in Yakuza 0, Kriyu would form an X with his arms and he would charge forwards with a yellow trail following behind him, The charge has a lot of knockback.

Down - Tiger Drop: This is a powerful counter, This counter does insane damage but it has little knockback and it has a lot of lag.

Up - Ascension Kick: Kiryu kicks upwards and then kicks again, ending with a downwards kick that spikes, This attack does a lot of damage but isn't that great of a recovery move.

All-star Move - Dragon Of Dojima: Kiryu takes his shirt off And performs a kick that Creates a trail that looks like the Yakuza logo circle It then goes into a cutscene that is a dark box with rain, Kiryu then performs a flurry of punches and kicks that emulates the revelation scene from Yakuza 0 but only he is actually punching and kicking a target. Once the cutscene ends Kiryu remains shirtless until he loses a stock.

Cosmetics:

Animations:
Entrance: Kiryu does the animation that plays when entering a fight from Kiwami and Kiwami 2

Up taunt: The Dragon of dojima taunt
Side Taunt: He fixes his shirt
Down Taunt: Kiryu takes money out of his jacket and throws it

Victory 1: Money falls from the sky he takes some from the sky and fans himself with it
Victory 2: Haruka holds Kiryus hand as they walk away from the camera
Victory 3: Kiryu spins around, crouches and points at the camera

Alts:
Kiryu's Default design would be his design in every game except for 0

He would then have a costume of his Yakuza 0 outfit

The colors would alternate between the original design and the 0 design

3: Original with a black jacket and white shirt
4: 0 with a red jacket and brown shirt to represent Nishiki's design from 0
5: Original with a Golden Suit
6: 0 with a brown jacket and brown and yellow shirt to represent Oda's design
7: Original with Kiryu's Taxi Driver Outfit
8: 0 with a red shirt and a pattern on his jacket that is reminiscent of his Jacket when he was a kid

Miscellaneous:
When Kiryu wins a game the screen goes negative to reference the victory screen
When Kiryu is KO'd the animation has bits of yen in it
Victory music: Receive you

Job 21

Kamurocho

it takes place in front of the Kamurocho sign. there is no drop off and you can jump on top of the sign. there are 2 versions of the stage 80's and 2000's
The 80's stage has Makoto, Nishiki, Majima, Sagawa, Tachibana and Oda in the background. The 2000's version has Nishiki, Majima, Haruka, Date, Ryuji , the Florist, Sayama, Saejima and Akiyama. in the background. All versions have random bystanders coming to watch the fight, The 2000's version also has the Millenium tower in the background. Majima and Nishiki are Guaranteed to appear on both versions. The stage gimmick is throughout the battle Thugs would appear that you can beat up.

Songs List:
Baka Mitai
Receive You
Bubble
Receive You ~Tech Trance~
Victory Road
t u s k
Yakuza 0 English Opening
Pledge of Demon
Start of the end
Before Dawn
Destiny

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Also; it might be worth tagging both TheThingamajig(who nominated Kiryu) and Mr. Robotto(who nominated Kasuga) when we get to the Yakuza round. I'm sure they'd like to see how that goes and probably have a few suggestions themselves.
I think it's time to make it rain, TheThingamajigRayman TheThingamajigRayman ! (as a Kiryu voter)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll skip the 20th job for now because I'm not sure if I can do Kiryu's moveset justice.

Job #21: Millennium Tower

Jmilleniumtowerinside.jpg Yk2mireniumtawaa.jpg Y3millenniumtowerroof.jpg

Millennium Tower is an office tower located in Kamurocho and the largest building in the district. It appears through most of the series and has an important role in the plot as the land it's built on was at the center of Yakuza 0's story and its existence marks a huge change in the power dynamics of the city underworld. Most recently, it served Yakuza: Like a Dragon's final dungeon.

Structure-wise, Millennium Tower will be our first proper traveling stage. The fighters will begin the brawl at the bottom floor, where the Drone Labs are located. This phase is completely flat with ring-out locations at the sides and a large ceiling on top. After a while, a soft platform will rise from the ground and carry them through the tower, slowly rising and giving the players a view of the Kamurocho, meanwhile the light changes from day to sundown. Finally, the fighters will find themselves on the top of the tower, with a night view of the city in the background. This part would have a few obstacles like the building cranes on the sides that carry soft platforms in the shape of steel beams and low walls on the sides. If the hazards are turned off, the stage always begins in this phase.

Track List:
  1. Receive You
  2. Funk Goes On
  3. Son of a Gun (Kiwami)
  4. Outlaw's Lullaby (Kiwami 2)
  5. Bad Fortune Flower
  6. Rebellious Phase
  7. Speed Star
  8. Massive Fire
  9. Crash Addiction
  10. One-Eyed Assassin
  11. The Battle for the Dream
  12. Machine Gun Kiss (remix)
  13. Bakamitai (remix)
  14. Pledge of Demon
  15. Ichibanka
  16. Millennium Tower Dungeon

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto
We're onto the Yakuza round, albeit for Kiryu(and a stage for the series). As you recommended Kasuga I thought you might be interested in pitching some of your ideas?

Anyone who wishes to use these for alt colours is more than welcome btw:

Kiryu-'renders'.png

I wasn't entirely sure what best to do for Kiryu's default 'render'. The one of the left is a pose he performs just before uppercutting someone, and the one on the right is meant to be him cracking his shoulder muscles.

I'm probably not going to attempt Kiryu's moveset here, as someone who's only just started playing the series in the past week. I don't think I could do him justice based only on reading and under 15 hours in Yakuza 0.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, here's our fighters and assists so far with their debut year and franchise:

Fighters-Part-1.png

Assists-part-1.png

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Let's get up to date on our Yakuza stuff, shall we?

-cashregister9's moveset wins by default

-Stage submissions are closed.
Here's your candidates:

Kamurocho ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Millenium Tower ( osby osby )

Please refer to this poll:

In addition:

Job #22: Submit a Yakuza assist

Just for us to do something else other than voting, here's another Yakuza job!

Worth noting that while it's not locked-in like Sonic or VF, a second Yakuza rep in the future is a possibility and like every other assist job we've done so far, the winner will be deconfirmed. One more Yakuza character isn't guaranteed, but it is on the table, so it's best to keep that in mind.

I do want to also remind you to vote in the poll above just so that this job doesn't overshadow the voting

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #22: Goro Majima

1621360281467.png

I think he's pretty self-explanatory. Majima is a major character in Yakuza, who appeared as a boss, playable character, and an AI partner. That's not even going into how he's a big-time fan favorite. I think if we were to include another Yakuza fighter, that role would be better suited to other protagonists like Yagami and Ichiban, but Majima kinda needs to be here.

Mechanically, Majima would attack his summoner's opponents with his tanto and baseball bat, using his recurring moves like his spin attack. If there is only one enemy, he can also use his speed clones to attack them from all sides. He'll also have a unique disappearing animation on the ground where he jumps into a manhole.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The votes are in: Millennium Tower will be our Yakuza stage!

Submissions for the Yakuza assist are still open, so if you have any ideas, you still have a chance.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #22: Nishiki

Akira Nishikiyama is Kiryu’s sworn brother and grew up with him in the orphanage. He has a major role in Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 1 so I think he’s prominent enough to make it in as an assist.

I imagine he would fight similarly to his fight against Goro Majima in Yakuza 0, where he’s able to punch, kick, or tackle the opponent.

I know he dies, but I still think since he’s prominent enough in 0 and 1 to get in as an assist trophy

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Submissions for the Yakuza assist are over! Glad we managed to get one more at the last minute, almost had a win-by-default there.

Here are your candidates:

Goro Majima ( osby osby )
Akira Nishikiyama ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )

Here's the poll:

I'm excited to get this one over with, the next job's gonna be spicy 👀

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well the votes have come in, and we have our first big deconfirmation: Goro Majima will be our Yakuza assist. Godspeed.

With that said, ya ever tasted a meatball and gone "oh now that's a spicy-a meataball"? Well I've got a spicy job right here and right now:

Job #23: Submit a misc. stage from a SEGA arcade game

That's right, as the first of our two final challenges before our next character prompt, we're doing our first big piece of "misc." content. SEGA are absolute royalty of arcade game history, they've revolutionized the scene several times over and made tons of iconic games for it - and several of these games are ripe for a stage. With all that said, we HAVE to have at least one of our misc. stages come from the arcades.
Few things to note:

-Whatever stage wins will deconfirm that series for a playable character, so it's best to keep that in mind

-And since these series will be classified as "misc.", you can include more tracks from other IPs than usual. There's not really a set limit of these kinds of tracks that I can define here, as it kinda depends on the series in question - some have more music to pull from than others, and thus, some will need to be padded out more than others. All I ask is that you at least make good use of the "main" IP's music.

Here's a handy list for reference:

Now submit away! Hopefully we'll come out with somethin' good on our hands.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job 23: OutRun

OutRun is a classic arcade game made by sega. It was one of the most advanced games of its time graphics wise and is a very iconic game.

It may seem difficult to translate it into a stage, but I think it could work fine. You would play on the back of the cars similar to the SNES Mute City stage in smash. We could also add some floating platforms above for the sake of the stage layout.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Aw well, Champion did a OutRun stage on its classic self, but at least my stage idea was inspired by modern entries with other stuff included.

Job #23: Arcade Stage (OutRun Bay)

ezgif-4-7288a0aec338.png

This stage is based on the same-named track in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sunny Beach, the first course in OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast.

Players are fighting on a street near the finish line with a crowd cheering, the Flagman waving his signature flag (sometimes doing random stuff such as squatting and break-dancing) and cars such as Ferrari Testarossa driving the street (which will be alarmed via signal like in Mario Circuit and Port Town Aero Dive), running over fighters if they're not careful.

After one and a half minutes (1:30), a boat appears on the beach and players have to hop on it as it tours them through the bay and reveals the entire track. After a certain amount of time, the boat takes players to the other side of the road, where they fight all over again.

Tracklist:
This is the main reason why I thought of this stage and prepared for it since a Virtua Fighter job. One of the arcade era's highlights is Hiroshi Kawaguchi's music, with OutRun itself being quintessential not only just for SEGA's history, but also the racing genre in whole (I mean, it's the second best-selling SEGA Ages title on Switch last year). I also wanted to somehow represent the series in all of its glory.

If unique result screen music on some stages are allowed, then I would include Last Wave for this one as well.
  1. Magical Sound Shower (can swap between original, 1993 and Euro remix; obviously the most iconic song)
  2. Splash Wave (original/1993/Euro remix; for osby osby and Speed Weed for a OutRunners remix)
  3. Passing Breeze (original/1993/Euro remix; personal favorite)
  4. Step on Beat
  5. Cruising Line
  6. Camino a Mi Amor
  7. Turbo OutRun Medley (S.S.T. Band deserves a credit for their remixes/concerts)
  8. Speed King
  9. Looking for the Rainbow
  10. Blow Your Cool
  11. Sonic Control
  12. Adventure
  13. OutRun 2 Medley (Shiny World/Risky Ride/Night Flight/Life Was a Bore)
  14. Sprinter (Super Hang-On) (misc.; original/Mickey Ver./S.S.T. Band)
  15. Like the Wind (Power Drift) (misc.; original/S.S.T. Band)
  16. Replay (Virtua Racing Deluxe) (misc.)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is it worth adding the current job to the title of the thread to drum up interest? Not sure but might be worth it?

Job 23: Space Harrier

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone...
Space-Harrier-Stage.png

When I think classic SEGA Arcade experiences, I think...well I used to think Virtua Cop or House of the Dead if I'm brutally honest...

BUT! I've been playing both Yakuza 0 AND Shenmue recently.
In both titles Kiryu/Majima and Ryo can visit arcades and play Space Harrier...as a result, I'm now more familiar with Space Harrier than I am with the games I used to pop coins in for.
In fact, between these two games and Sega Mega Drive Collection, I've played a ton of Space Harrier and it's an absolutely brilliant classic arcade title that I highly recommend you try if you haven't yet.

It, alongside Outrun, is one of the quintissential SEGA Arcade titles, but at the same time I'm not sure if Harrier himself has enough material to work with to be a Fighter.

As for this particular stage;
The stage is a classic floating platform stage(or space craft in this case), flying through space. In the background monsters of all sorts will come into view, as the protagonist(red jacket at the top there) will shoot away, blowing them to smithereens to keep them out of the Sega fighters battle. We'll see explosions galore as he does battle with the cycloptic mammoths, the dragon mini boss, Trimuller the three headed turtle boss and even Dark Harrier should the battle go on long enough.

This stage takes elements from both Space Harrier and Space Harrier 2.

Tracks:
1. Main Theme
2. Stanrey
3. Squilla
4. Wiwi Jumbo
5. Ida
6. Syura
8. Godarni
9. Battle Field
10. Mind Quake
11. Nuclear Shock
12. Jelly Syndrome
13. Mega Chance
14. Sprinter (Super Hang-On)
15. Main Theme (Hang-On)
16. Hard Road (Super Hang-On)

Included Hang-On music due to the close relationship of the two series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom