• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's hope Smash Switch is awesome - For the Switch's sake too

smashswitchthing.jpg

Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch
selling really well benefits all of us. Even if you have no interest for Smash for Switch or the Nintendo Switch itself, it increases any chances of seeing re-releases of the other games and helps the game industry industry thrive with competition. For those interested in Smash, however, the new title is going to be more relevant to Nintendo's game plan than even we think.

For starters, Smash for Switch is the platform's main system seller for this year, or at least one of them. While Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey convinced people to purchase a Nintendo Switch last year, the big killer apps (or at least, the ones Nintendo's pushing to the forefront) are a bit MIA - Pokemon Switch, Metroid Prime 4, and Fire Emblem 16 - all with a shot of being delayed.

To continue, Smash has always been a two-way street on promotions. People play Smash for their favorite characters, then they get interested in other series because a character showed up in Smash. That combination is pretty awesome and creates an effective loop; it's important that Nintendo continues forth with that tradition.

While we are an impact on Smash Switch, it can't just be fans holding up sales. For Nintendo to be as relevant in esports as they're pushing to be, the Nintendo Switch Online update (we talked about that here) has to be stellar and pretty up to par with modern online services. To add to that, the game has to feel like a big jump - Like Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2 did. There has to be some "Sense of urgency" instilled to buy it, and that will be on Nintendo to create, not us.

We'll see how things go once E3 comes along, which should answer all of our questions. For us, the industry, and Nintendo's sake, though, let's hope it's awesome.

Author's Note: What do you think overall of how much Nintendo is banking on the new Smash Bros game? Let us know in the comments below.

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I'm going to call it right here... if this next Smash Bros turns out to be very lackluster, very half-baked, and more fans are disappointed in the final product than those who still remain brainlessly hyped... then I will be among the camps who say Nintendo has officially tried to cash in WAY too soon.

considering that Smash 4 has/had not given very much time for players to adjust to every balance patch, it makes itself very easily disposable for the current group of fans, and the only thing that will keep it around is if the Switch iteration pratfalls out the gate.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope the Switch iteration has everything I previously set as a requirement when the announcement was made

[...]
should this new game get into development, I want to see the whole package be something that feels complete... a fully fleshed out Single player element that lets newcomers get a grasp of the game's mechanics (sort of like how Brawl's Subspace Emissary had you make use of jumping and stuff during Pit's intro stage), the unlocks for the game would be after certain distinctive milestones with ALMOST nothing randomized, side modes that actually provide a different use of gameplay... and if there's customization options, I demand it be something that draws from every character's history and be at least mostly different.

[F]an mods like Project M have the right idea on at least trying to strike a balance... if this potential new Smash is going to hold any lasting power[...], then there can't be "extras", everything in the game should serve a purpose in the experience, and not serve to prop up the multiplayer. Players will carry the multiplayer themselves, don't do it for us.
I hope this game does well, but as it stands, I'm not feeling very confident that the team's director is willing to find a respectable middle ground unless he's willing to embrace what allowed things like Melee and Project M to resonate with their fans...

Last edited:
I REALLY HOPE this game is great. It would suck if it came out and everyone realized it was "eh". It would suck like, "I just went and bought a switch, smash game, and controller, and the game isn't even good." Anyway... can't wait :)

I believe that Smash 5 is going to be somewhere between Smash 4 and Melee in terms of competition and quality. I hate to say it, but Iwata's departure from the CEO seat has proven to have shifted Nintendo into a better direction. Ever since the Switch announcement video was released, I think Nintendo has been precisely on point with pretty much everything, from branding and advertising to game development and keeping their most important demographics in mind (of course, minus a few little issues here and there. e.g. voice chat phone app).

Not only do they seem to be approaching everything much more responsibly lately, Sakurai himself seems to have had a bit of a change of heart in relation to his projects being competitive, esport-worthy games. I honestly believe that Smash is probably one of the prime reasons, if not ONLY reason why the Switch has been aggressively branded as a platform for competitive games since its announcement. It seems pretty obvious to me that they've been gearing up to push Smash 5 as hard as they can, to as wide of an audience as they can, especially since they seem to have suddenly woken up and realized that esports are essentially free advertisement and publicity.

No doubt in my mind that Smash 5 is going to be a truly worthy installment. The real question is just of HOW good it will be.

I believe that Smash 5 is going to be somewhere between Smash 4 and Melee in terms of competition and quality. I hate to say it, but Iwata's departure from the CEO seat has proven to have shifted Nintendo into a better direction. Ever since the Switch announcement video was released, I think Nintendo has been precisely on point with pretty much everything, from branding and advertising to game development and keeping their most important demographics in mind (of course, minus a few little issues here and there. e.g. voice chat phone app).

Not only do they seem to be approaching everything much more responsibly lately, Sakurai himself seems to have had a bit of a change of heart in relation to his projects being competitive, esport-worthy games. I honestly believe that Smash is probably one of the prime reasons, if not ONLY reason why the Switch has been aggressively branded as a platform for competitive games since its announcement. It seems pretty obvious to me that they've been gearing up to push Smash 5 as hard as they can, to as wide of an audience as they can, especially since they seem to have suddenly woken up and realized that esports are essentially free advertisement and publicity.

No doubt in my mind that Smash 5 is going to be a truly worthy installment. The real question is just of HOW good it will be.
Why downplay Iwata like that?

Top Bottom