• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's give the Online Matchmaking problems more visibility

IDesiretoExpire

Smash Rookie
The state of the online matchmaking in Ultimate is just laughably bad right now. It's so bad that I made an account on this forum simply to complain about it and spread awareness of how unbelievably insulting it is. We all already know them but here they are listed as detailed as I can make it.

Preferred Rules

I remember watching the direct where Sakurai explained how the preferred rules would work. Ideally they'd match you up a person/group that want to play the game you want to play it. For most of us on this forum that's gonna be One on One, no item, no stage hazard battles. In practice however, it rarely ever does so. Here how it will work most of the time. You set your preferred rules, you enter quickplay or backround matchmaking, and then you find a match. You're loaded into the training screen and you look at the amount of players. 4. Hmm that's not right? I could've sworn I put it on 1 vs 1 and set the preferred rules on. Sorry bud. Now you're stuck in a free-for-all, items, stage hazard match for 10 minutes.

You can't take the match seriously at that point and you just kinda goof off on the side of the stage. If even 1 person out of the four has a poor connection, then everyone suffers for it. So you get into a match where the rules are the farthest thing you preferred, and the lag is there to prolong your suffering. Say you queue up for one of these matches and you immediately wanna bail. Sorry no option for that for the first match. You MUST play or you will get penalized.

Penalties

Now that you got into your Uber and the driver starts driving the complete opposite direction of your destination, you think of ways to get off the ride. But sorry idiot, getting off where you are means you get charged for being dropped off too far from your destination. Same thing happens here. You get into your Free-for all and you want to get out. Let's try to SD. "you have been disconnected due to self-destruction. Do it again and you could be penalized". Let's say this time you just lost the Free-for-all. I don't feel like watching these strangers play, I could not care less who wins this match, I'll just exit it *hits start*. Okay so I can't exit the game even after I've lost all my stocks. Let's just hit the home button and get out and find another match. "You have left your last match, Do it again and you could be penalized". Okay then. The match basically turns into you sorta playing it and waiting for it to turn into a 1 vs 1 after the other 2 players have lost all their stocks. If you are one of those players, have fun surfing reddit or just doing something else besides playing smash.

Character Select

In the instance that you do find your online Smash Soulmate, you think hey this person pretty fun to fight. I enjoy hitting the rematch button and fighting against them. But I'm getting tired of playing my current character, I wanna play someone else. Wellllll you can't. You pick your character before actually queueing up to find someone and because of this, you can't ever select a different character. When the matchmaking actually does its job and it's functional, Nintendo still found a way to make it less fun than it should have been.

Arenas

Now many of you might say, Hey you should just use arena's they have consistent rules and you can play some decent matches with people. But let my tell you that I can barely wait for my bread to be finished in my toaster, so I don't have the patience to wait for someone to join my arena, or wait for a line of 3 people in front of me so I can have my 1v1. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but getting one match in the Arena always took my about 10-15 minutes to get if I didn't win that match. Maybe the ez solution is to win every match so I can play forever :').

One Step Forward and Fifty Steps back

These problems, were NOT in Smash 4's online, so why are they here now? Ultimate Came out in 2018. Two Thousand + Eighteen years. We're in and age where we can fold our smartphones and press a button so we don't have to wipe after we take a sh*t. So why are these problems here? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Well For Glory had a little smudges and nicks there, but nothing some filling and polish could fix. But instead Nintendo decided to take it and decimate it with a sledgehammer then throw it into a volcano. Instead of trying to fix the existing system, Nintendo thought, maybe we should just remake another system and hopefully it works.

Insults to the consumer

They basically took a system that was fine as is, and threw it out completely. From Smash 4 they gave us a taste of a viable way to play online. How will they improve on it in the next game? I hope it'll be great! We have to pay to play online now? Well... I guess I don't mind shelling out some extra bucks, maybe this money will go to them making the online better?

W R O N G

They just make it worse. They charged us to give us a worse product. I felt so insulted that instead of studying for finals, I wrote this. I'm a lurker, I don't post things often, so when I do post things, somethings probably wrong. You know how to fix the lag (maybe?) Buy a LAN adapter. If we're already going to pay for your new online service, I expect it to be of good quality. Why is there no Ethernet port on the switch? Why do we have to pay to make our payed internet service for our payed game on our payed console playable? It shouldn't be this way.

How do we get these issues to Daddy Sakurai?

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I know in the end it's just a video game, but I feel like Nintendo went really out of their way to make the online in Ultimate the worst possible state it could be in. It's currently day 2 of release and maybe someday a year or two later someone will find this thread and think "I didn't know these were problems". I don't know how to make Nintendo realize that they ruined such a large selling factor for this game. I honestly wish I could get my money back, but I bought the digital copy like an idiot lmao. I half regret buying this game in it's current state because of the online, but the rest of the game is just marvelous. I just hope someway or another, Sakurai will notice the issues.

Edit: I accidentally posted this while writing it so that's what the edit was lol

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
At least players like me who always win might have fun in Battle Arenas. But I agree that for you losers it is a bad deal.

1FC0

Smash Lord
SSBB had infinite taunts which was a great feature especially for characters who could use their taunt in a useful way like Kirby, Luigi, Snake, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
SSBB had infinite taunts which was a great feature especially for characters who could use their taunt in a useful way like Kirby, Luigi, Snake, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon.
Sad that dumb **** like no taunts has to be "enforced" in ultimate because of the playerbase.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sad that dumb **** like no taunts has to be "enforced" in ultimate because of the playerbase.
Seriously did they remove all taunts? That is very lame and a legit nerf for Kirby unless they gave him another way to ditch abilities.

Last edited:

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
I pretty much agree. While I've still had plenty of fun online and even played in an online tournament today, I would be lying if I said Ultimate online was a great experience. I'm not sure what happened. It's like you said: For Glory wasn't perfect, but could have been fixed without ripping it apart into tiny pieces. The only hope is that Sakurai and his team are paying attention to our complaints. After all, how many people are solely paying for awful Switch Online because of Ultimate? The system they put in place simply doesn't work. I could maybe live with being put in a free for all if I could just quit, or at the very least change my character without backing all the way out. It's just one flaw on top of the other.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I would at least like to know the reasoning behind all of these bizarre changes...

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Seriously did they remove all taunts? That is very lame and a legit nerf for Kirby unless they gave him another way to ditch abilities.
Taunts are still there. They just cant be used in public quick matches. Kirby can still taunt out of his inhaled abilities though. But thats it.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
I was excited to see that I could play 1v1 games and not be stuck on final destination for every match, but it seems to have equal weighting with every other preference.

I'm sure I'm far from the only one with no interest in free-for-alls.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would at least like to know the reasoning behind all of these bizarre changes...
This is the price we pay for having lots of customization options in our online matches, without fragmenting the playerbase into tiny pieces. Given time though, a "definitive" competitive ruleset will likely emerge and most players will gravitate towards that and improve odds of finding such a match. Or just make your own arena and keep the matches short if you're concerned about wait times.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The state of the online matchmaking in Ultimate is just laughably bad right now. It's so bad that I made an account on this forum simply to complain about it and spread awareness of how unbelievably insulting it is. We all already know them but here they are listed as detailed as I can make it.

Preferred Rules

I remember watching the direct where Sakurai explained how the preferred rules would work. Ideally they'd match you up a person/group that want to play the game you want to play it. For most of us on this forum that's gonna be One on One, no item, no stage hazard battles. In practice however, it rarely ever does so. Here how it will work most of the time. You set your preferred rules, you enter quickplay or backround matchmaking, and then you find a match. You're loaded into the training screen and you look at the amount of players. 4. Hmm that's not right? I could've sworn I put it on 1 vs 1 and set the preferred rules on. Sorry bud. Now you're stuck in a free-for-all, items, stage hazard match for 10 minutes.

You can't take the match seriously at that point and you just kinda goof off on the side of the stage. If even 1 person out of the four has a poor connection, then everyone suffers for it. So you get into a match where the rules are the farthest thing you preferred, and the lag is there to prolong your suffering. Say you queue up for one of these matches and you immediately wanna bail. Sorry no option for that for the first match. You MUST play or you will get penalized.

Penalties

Now that you got into your Uber and the driver starts driving the complete opposite direction of your destination, you think of ways to get off the ride. But sorry idiot, getting off where you are means you get charged for being dropped off too far from your destination. Same thing happens here. You get into your Free-for all and you want to get out. Let's try to SD. "you have been disconnected due to self-destruction. Do it again and you could be penalized". Let's say this time you just lost the Free-for-all. I don't feel like watching these strangers play, I could not care less who wins this match, I'll just exit it *hits start*. Okay so I can't exit the game even after I've lost all my stocks. Let's just hit the home button and get out and find another match. "You have left your last match, Do it again and you could be penalized". Okay then. The match basically turns into you sorta playing it and waiting for it to turn into a 1 vs 1 after the other 2 players have lost all their stocks. If you are one of those players, have fun surfing reddit or just doing something else besides playing smash.

Character Select

In the instance that you do find your online Smash Soulmate, you think hey this person pretty fun to fight. I enjoy hitting the rematch button and fighting against them. But I'm getting tired of playing my current character, I wanna play someone else. Wellllll you can't. You pick your character before actually queueing up to find someone and because of this, you can't ever select a different character. When the matchmaking actually does its job and it's functional, Nintendo still found a way to make it less fun than it should have been.

Arenas

Now many of you might say, Hey you should just use arena's they have consistent rules and you can play some decent matches with people. But let my tell you that I can barely wait for my bread to be finished in my toaster, so I don't have the patience to wait for someone to join my arena, or wait for a line of 3 people in front of me so I can have my 1v1. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but getting one match in the Arena always took my about 10-15 minutes to get if I didn't win that match. Maybe the ez solution is to win every match so I can play forever :').

One Step Forward and Fifty Steps back

These problems, were NOT in Smash 4's online, so why are they here now? Ultimate Came out in 2018. Two Thousand + Eighteen years. We're in and age where we can fold our smartphones and press a button so we don't have to wipe after we take a sh*t. So why are these problems here? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Well For Glory had a little smudges and nicks there, but nothing some filling and polish could fix. But instead Nintendo decided to take it and decimate it with a sledgehammer then throw it into a volcano. Instead of trying to fix the existing system, Nintendo thought, maybe we should just remake another system and hopefully it works.

Insults to the consumer

They basically took a system that was fine as is, and threw it out completely. From Smash 4 they gave us a taste of a viable way to play online. How will they improve on it in the next game? I hope it'll be great! We have to pay to play online now? Well... I guess I don't mind shelling out some extra bucks, maybe this money will go to them making the online better?

W R O N G

They just make it worse. They charged us to give us a worse product. I felt so insulted that instead of studying for finals, I wrote this. I'm a lurker, I don't post things often, so when I do post things, somethings probably wrong. You know how to fix the lag (maybe?) Buy a LAN adapter. If we're already going to pay for your new online service, I expect it to be of good quality. Why is there no Ethernet port on the switch? Why do we have to pay to make our payed internet service for our payed game on our payed console playable? It shouldn't be this way.

How do we get these issues to Daddy Sakurai?

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I know in the end it's just a video game, but I feel like Nintendo went really out of their way to make the online in Ultimate the worst possible state it could be in. It's currently day 2 of release and maybe someday a year or two later someone will find this thread and think "I didn't know these were problems". I don't know how to make Nintendo realize that they ruined such a large selling factor for this game. I honestly wish I could get my money back, but I bought the digital copy like an idiot lmao. I half regret buying this game in it's current state because of the online, but the rest of the game is just marvelous. I just hope someway or another, Sakurai will notice the issues.

Edit: I accidentally posted this while writing it so that's what the edit was lol
This should be stickied.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm playing Brawlhalla, and that handles online play pretty well. Nintendo should take notes.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
I totally agree with everything you say.

The fact that we have to pay for such an awful online experience is... not acceptable.

We have to adress this issue one way or an other.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That game is built for online. If you don't have that or local friends then it has pretty much nothing else to offer.
Yeah, that's true. You can't even get coins for buying Legends through offline play.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Guys, I was having this same exact issue, but i read online that most competitive players are setting their preferences to 3 stock, 7:00 time limit, 1v1, stage hazard off. I tried this and I have been getting lagless 1v1 matches 80% of the time, with a few exceptions.

The problem here is that the community has not come to a set time limit standard yet, so people are setting their time preference to all sorts of different times. And because the game values stable connection more than preferences in matchmaking, it settles for the connection rather than looking further for someone with the same time setting as you.

Spread the word everyone. The more people set their preferences to 3 stock, 7:00 time, the more likely we will be to get 1v1 matches. Also, I agreed that it should be fixed, but this is the best we got rn.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Guys, I was having this same exact issue, but i read online that most competitive players are setting their preferences to 3 stock, 7:00 time limit, 1v1, stage hazard off. I tried this and I have been getting lagless 1v1 matches 80% of the time, with a few exceptions.

The problem here is that the community has not come to a set time limit standard yet, so people are setting their time preference to all sorts of different times. And because the game values stable connection more than preferences in matchmaking, it settles for the connection rather than looking further for someone with the same time setting as you.

Spread the word everyone. The more people set their preferences to 3 stock, 7:00 time, the more likely we will be to get 1v1 matches. Also, I agreed that it should be fixed, but this is the best we got rn.
You can also make your own version of For Glory by creating arenas with a maximum of 2 players.

Top Bottom