• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
I read the first two lines of the guys post and I got this otu of it.

"Wah wah no L-Cancelling and Wavedashing"
You try reading up to the point where it became about weed and shooting each other.

Ilol'd. This place isn't mentally ready to discuss the game of its dreams... sucking.

These threads are slowly driving us mad.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
I was just a bit let down with Twilight Princess. I was very much disappointed with Galaxy. I was stabbed in the heart with Brawl. I have been a devoted Nintendo fan since the NES days. I'm sad that I can't continue to be. I will always remember the GREAT games they have made in the past. There standards have declined and their games are now mediocre. I will most likely be selling my Wii in the future, after all I bought it specifically for this game, and I don't like it at all.

As of March 9, 2008 NINTENDO IS DEAD TO ME. It kills me to say this.

CoolDude330

Smash Rookie
Did I mention the disastrous load times?

I Mean seriously, how could it have more load times on a more advanced system...
Are you kidding me? It's not loading Melee on the Wii- there's about 10 times more stuff to load than the last game and the Wii's hardware isn't much of an upgrade from the Gamecube.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
y is everyone wasting their time with this kid? leave him be, he will jsut never play brawl again cuz he heates it so muich, his loss and one less person who prolly thinks theyre really good and isint

i find it kind of funny that he wasted his life to make up a new name and make this topic lol. Ur not changing neones mind, just wasting ur breath and time. Brawl is different than melee, get over it. Its def better cuz they made charcters how they should be. How much sense does it make to have a speedy small character (fox/falco) be pretty light, yet one of the heaviest? HOW CAN U BE LIGHT AND HEAVY AT THE SAME TIME!? and ofcourse they nerfed a bunch of characters in someway, but thats cuz y should the speedy characters also have all the srongest moves? and not so much nerfing, just changing the way u have to play.

Ahwell, im off to play soem more brawl, have fun relying to this even tho i prolly wont check back here lol

GenisSage

Smash Cadet
I myself think that the game is good. As far as it being bad I do not think so. I know that you were probably wanting more of what Melee brought but lets face it, its not SSBMelee2. I know that your opinion is bad but its not that bad. Oh and I myself being a Fanboy since the launch of the Nes back in 82 for me never have i been dissapointed with any Nintendo game at all.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
I was just a bit let down with Twilight Princess. I was very much disappointed with Galaxy. I was stabbed in the heart with Brawl. I have been a devoted Nintendo fan since the NES days. I'm sad that I can't continue to be. I will always remember the GREAT games they have made in the past. There standards have declined and their games are now mediocre. I will most likely be selling my Wii in the future, after all I bought it specifically for this game, and I don't like it at all.

Nintendo doesn't care.

Neither do I.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace

As said, we don't care, your opinion sucks.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
well i just got done playing Brawl for 6 hours straight and I come on SWF to see a thread like this...ugh don't even get me started I'm going back to play the best game ever..Brawl

middie23

Smash Cadet
I lost in the finals of the Gamespot tourney...not that it means anything.

When you played Melee you knew it would take a long time to get good, it would require work, this one its just like a button smashing fun fest.

maybe that's why u lost, u were just button-mashing, it's strategy in this game that makes you good

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I like wavedashing and l-cancelling being gone. I can play this game now like I played Melee before I knew about those things. Melee was fun then, too, and Brawl is amazing now. Sure it's not as fast, but Melee wasn't supposed to be, either. Wavedashing was highly abused, and when they designed the game I seriously doubt they intended it to be used that way.

Razed

Smash Ace
Waaaa it's note melee 2.0

This game is fun as hell! And you're pretty naive to base the game's competitive potential on half a day's gameplay. You fail, not Nintendo.

Mega Inkydog

Smash Journeyman
Just another Melee fanboy crying because their precious wavedashing and L-Cancelling is gone. He is too immature to realize how Smash Bros. is supposed to be made. Sakurai knows best and he thought it would be best if those things were gone. And I agree. Smash Bros. is supposed to be game for newbies and veterans to have fun with. Techiques like wadashing was never meant to be implemented.

You do not respect his opinion. Instead of the taking time to learn Brawl and move on. You instead stick to melee and act ignorant on the changes. It is also sad that you MADE an account with the name NintendoFailedWithBrawl. It's just that ridiculous, just like your signature. People that make accounts to slam games are so idiotic. *sigh* I cannot believe that the internet reveals the very worst of humanity. It's just a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VDxolCYJlc

I give your opinion a rating of -90/100

siLus

Smash Rookie
So far brawl is good, people will find new things to make it a more diverse game, people find glitches and what not give the game time. dur

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It was broken in many reguards. Wavedash was broken. Many advanced techniques were. It wasn't meant to play like Melee. It was meant to be a WHOLE NEW GAME IN THE SMASH BROS SERIES.

I didn't complain when Metroid went FPS, and I'm not complaining now. Brawl is fun (you admit this yourself), and that should be enough.

e319

Smash Apprentice
I just got my hands on Brawl and I think it's AWESOME! Mainly because Bowser is way better in this game. Also, about people who think the new characters suck... I've only played Ike for a couple of hours and he's frikin' sweet his up B just reeks of coolness.
Hardcore nintendo fans like this guy who love the classics but hate everything new are stuck in the past, they need to expirience Nintendo's newest games, like MARIO GALAXY!

It has always been and always will be Nintendo's goal to make fun games, not competitive games. Melee was made quicker than Brawl, so it had glitches, which Nintendo thought were mistakes, so naturally they'd take them out.

The slowing down thing makes the playing field more even, so a Bowser player can have a fair fight against a fox player. Plus it takes edge guarding to the next level, MID-AIR GUARDING!

Finally, I don't really care if Brawl is more competitive or less competitive, I care about THE FUN FACTOR!

siLus

Smash Rookie
Give this game 6 months and It will be very competative, games usually don't start off like that, they start off fun. Then people find glitches and ways to diverse good players from bad players. When new highly anticipated things come out, especially sequeling a very good and hard to beat game, people will say the new one sucks, but give it a while and everyone will turn around and say it's amazing. once the wifi isn't ******** haha.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
actually, i've been playing brawl too, and I played lots of melee. I agree that brawl doesn't seem to have the potential of melee... i find myself wanting the game to MOVE FASTER!!!!

i just find it strange that they make the successor to such a successful fighting game slower and less technically complex. Usually, upon striking a winning formula full of depth, you build upon it, make it faster, make it fairer, streamline it a little bit... but you don't make it slower and simpler.

And you certainly don't add random "tripping".

Now I know, as everyone has said on this thread, this isn't melee 2, it's what they wanted for Brawl. Well fine... I'll play it, it's great to have a new smash, it's really fun, it's online, and it'll get a little deeper as time goes on. But I'm still going to be craving heart racing and hypertension inducing breakneck speed gamplay and strategy that got me so addicted to Melee.

The reason people are mad is not because Brawl isn't fun. It's that it's not as fast, there's not as much technical depth. If you can't see that, you probably weren't that good at Melee... there's just so many less options per second in Brawl. We were hoping for more options, not less. More variety, more techs... more intensity at a deeper level. We got more flash, less options, awkward ground movement, a general leveling of character differences...

But we also got more characters, pretty graphics, online capabilities (even if they are kind of annoying to set up), new moves to explore, and some better 1 player material.

Brawl wants to stay on the surface. Which is alright, I suppose it's good marketing. But our complaints are valid, nonetheless.

I'll never reach that deeper "Melee" place with Brawl.

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
I just cannot grasp why anyone would post something like this and actually expect anyone to give a rats ***.

I don't understand why anyone thinks complaining will get them anything but face-palm photo's

If you do not like the game-play, sell your game back from where you bought it

FalconPunch

Smash Journeyman
It was broken in many reguards. Wavedash was broken. Many advanced techniques were. It wasn't meant to play like Melee. It was meant to be a WHOLE NEW GAME IN THE SMASH BROS SERIES.

I didn't complain when Metroid went FPS, and I'm not complaining now. Brawl is fun (you admit this yourself), and that should be enough.
Explain how it was broken.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
All that have never played Melee competitively, how can you say that Melee players can't make statements about Brawl after a day of playing it? Just look at the gameplay; there are definitely a lot of things that can be said about it. Brawl might not be a bad game, but I can guarantee that it does not have the same competitive potential as Melee. The edgeguarding game is very shallow (almost nonexistant in some cases) and the dashing system was almost completely ruined. Dash cannot be cancelled by crouching, and your initial dash animation cannot be cancelled at any time by dashing in the other direction. Crouch cancelling was essential for characters like Samus and Peach, and that was removed as well. Nintendo basically removed anything that a casual Melee player might call cheap, when these techniques actually contributed a lot to the high-level gameplay of SSBM and gave way to interesting mindgames.

Brawl is an incredibly direct game. There are also a lot of stupid things that were added (such as tripping) and overlooked things (such as Olimar's pathetic recovery which can be too easily hogged). I really can't believe that the developers would make these kinds of decisions after seeing what a beautiful accident Melee was. SSBB really feels like just a party game. That's not entirely a bad thing because the game is still really fun, but it is just disappointing for a lot of people who enjoy the competitive nature of Melee (and yes that matters because now a lot less people will be playing Melee).

If you haven't played Melee very much and are criticizing Melee players for saying these things, that's completely expected. You don't understand and probably never will understand what perfect, intriguing gameplay Melee offers.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
The gameplay is so less technical that it is NOT fun. To me, fun=competitive, at least in fighting games, and this game is NOT competitive. This is a FIGHTING game. How can it be fun if it isn't competitive? You have so many less ways to approach your opponents. The whole reason why is the uniform gravities for characters. Anyone who likes this game wasn't a good player in Melee. Im so bored with it already that I spent my day in the library doing an upcoming project rather than play Brawl. I will probably sell it in a month or two. Crappy game.

I would rather play MK 2 right now over Brawl.

ElementSun

Smash Cadet
Flaming aside, your post just seems a little pretentious to me.

"I'm so disappointed that Nintendo didn't focus Brawl on the 2% that actually play this game competitively! This game isn't fun."

The thing is, Melee wasn't suppose to be a competitive game in the first place, so why should Brawl?

You'll adapt and find newer techniques, such as perfect shielding and such. If you're not willing to accept that, how will you approach real life situation when there's just a little change involved? Your attitude right now isn't for off from a White Supremacist.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
The gameplay is so less technical that it is NOT fun. To me, fun=competitive, at least in fighting games, and this game is NOT competitive. This is a FIGHTING game. How can it be fun if it isn't competitive? You have so many less ways to approach your opponents. The whole reason why is the uniform gravities for characters. Anyone who likes this game wasn't a good player in Melee. Im so bored with it already that I spent my day in the library doing an upcoming project rather than play Brawl. I will probably sell it in a month or two. Crappy game.
You people are idiots.
You have your dodges, a attacks, b attacks, jump, smash attacks, air attacks, strong attacks, and final smash. That's all you need. That's all Melee and the others essentially had, if you take away cheap speed-building exploits.

Brawl's fun, if you don't like it, then take it back. Please.

Fletch

Smash Master
actually, i've been playing brawl too, and I played lots of melee. I agree that brawl doesn't seem to have the potential of melee... i find myself wanting the game to MOVE FASTER!!!!

i just find it strange that they make the successor to such a successful fighting game slower and less technically complex. Usually, upon striking a winning formula full of depth, you build upon it, make it faster, make it fairer, streamline it a little bit... but you don't make it slower and simpler.

And you certainly don't add random "tripping".

Now I know, as everyone has said on this thread, this isn't melee 2, it's what they wanted for Brawl. Well fine... I'll play it, it's great to have a new smash, it's really fun, it's online, and it'll get a little deeper as time goes on. But I'm still going to be craving heart racing and hypertension inducing breakneck speed gamplay and strategy that got me so addicted to Melee.

The reason people are mad is not because Brawl isn't fun. It's that it's not as fast, there's not as much technical depth. If you can't see that, you probably weren't that good at Melee... there's just so many less options per second in Brawl. We were hoping for more options, not less. More variety, more techs... more intensity at a deeper level. We got more flash, less options, awkward ground movement, a general leveling of character differences...

But we also got more characters, pretty graphics, online capabilities (even if they are kind of annoying to set up), new moves to explore, and some better 1 player material.

Brawl wants to stay on the surface. Which is alright, I suppose it's good marketing. But our complaints are valid, nonetheless.

I'll never reach that deeper "Melee" place with Brawl.
All that have never played Melee competitively, how can you say that Melee players can't make statements about Brawl after a day of playing it? Just look at the gameplay; there are definitely a lot of things that can be said about it. Brawl might not be a bad game, but I can guarantee that it does not have the same competitive potential as Melee. The edgeguarding game is very shallow (almost nonexistant in some cases) and the dashing system was almost completely ruined. Dash cannot be cancelled by crouching, and your initial dash animation cannot be cancelled at any time by dashing in the other direction. Crouch cancelling was essential for characters like Samus and Peach, and that was removed as well. Nintendo basically removed anything that a casual Melee player might call cheap, when these techniques actually contributed a lot to the high-level gameplay of SSBM and gave way to interesting mindgames.

Brawl is an incredibly direct game. There are also a lot of stupid things that were added (such as tripping) and overlooked things (such as Olimar's pathetic recovery which can be too easily hogged). I really can't believe that the developers would make these kinds of decisions after seeing what a beautiful accident Melee was. SSBB really feels like just a party game. That's not entirely a bad thing because the game is still really fun, but it is just disappointing for a lot of people who enjoy the competitive nature of Melee (and yes that matters because now a lot less people will be playing Melee).

If you haven't played Melee very much and are criticizing Melee players for saying these things, that's completely expected. You don't understand and probably never will understand what perfect, intriguing gameplay Melee offers.
Quoted because these need to be read again. No one is crying that the game isn't Melee 2.0, just expressing disappointment that it could have been so much more. Like I said before, Brawl just feels like an inferior, dumbed-down version of Melee at this point, and that's why people are disappointed. You realize most the people that are upset with this game have actually played Melee or some fighting game quite extensively before? It's just very hard to see any possible depth to Brawl right now, and that does not speak well for its future popularity. Sure, the game is fun, there's just so little substance to it though currently and doesn't seem to present many options, and at this point it doesn't look to be competitive. I sincerely hope we find some new advanced techniques or something to make this game deeper or more interesting, or else I fear for Brawl's future.

And to all you people claiming that Melee players wanted Melee 2.0 so they would continue to dominate, be serious. Play someone who is good at Melee, they will destroy you at Brawl just the same. Look at the Brawl tournaments thus far, they have been one by Melee "Pros". If there's one aspect of Brawl I'm extremely happy with, it's that Melee skill does carry over very well, it is just so **** limited in gameplay. There is still going to be a huge skill gap, and the Pros of Melee should continue to dominate Brawl's competitive scene if they choose to pursue it.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I'm crying because Brawl is Melee 0.5
Except it's not, only to those competitive players spoiled enough to cry when they don't get their 200mph fast-falling, glitchy, frameless gameplay.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Newton's second law of motion says hi.

Also, did you know that 'NintendoFailedwithBrawl' rhymes with ' Tosser'?
I was gonna post that xD

Can someone post the video of the first melee tournament? That must be enough to shut some mouths up.

ELiteEsoteric

Smash Rookie
Wow, I have to say... I 100% and totally agree with you, I just won my local Melee tournament to get brawl, free, at 12pm, I get home and I pop it in and I almost punch myself in the face I hate it so much. It is absolutely slow as hell, I'm playing it, don't get me wrong. Online play is ****, absolute. Do not even try to argue here. and 1v1? holy crap its so bad I almost threw up, grabs blow, you teleport back on the stage even if you (basically) already died. Everyone's moves lag, combos? lol. And to all you pieces of crap who think "we can't deal with change" Play your ****ty brawl game once you finally suck a guy off for a wii, and you'll see how much **** you got.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
Making a game faster is not always a good thing. In fact, adding speed to a game tends to take out more and more skill factors. Sure, in a faster game, it makes you think faster, but in doing so, it removes a lot of the thought that could be there(turn based games=lots of thought, extreme speed games like melee, not so much due to the speed). Melee turned into muscle memory, reaction time, and having a handful of response to a handful of scenarios that could come up. While there was some thinking involved, most of it was upfront, not during the actual action.

Brawl is slower, but in being slower, it doesn't remove the muscle memory or the reaction time. Brawl isn't removing anything skillwise. Yes, they removed techs, but for the most part it was muscle memory, something you would do without thinking and yes there are skills in this game that will be muscle memory. So brawl removed nothing, while making the mindgames much deeper. Why do I say that, since its slower you have more time to think, thus more time to trip up.

I dont know why people are saying combos are out, cuz already I've seen and done a few combos(though not full stock kills, but its new, so I would be worried if it was common). Meh, Brawl is different, and I believe the slowness and floatiness improved the game and requires as much skill or even more than Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom