• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsangs

Smash Cadet
i completely agree with NFWB, the game has completely lost all combo ability, they noobified the **** out of it. i think people are just having trouble accepting that brawl may actually suck. nintendo accidentally made the perfect game with melee, and i always thought to myself, there is no way that will ever happen again, but i stayed optimistic, just like everybody else for brawl, because its crazy to think there was so much hype and excitement for a game that in the end, is not nearly as good as melee. I actually logged on to smashboards to make my own post on how much brawl is a disappointment, but i found this post and NFWB summed up everything i had to say. i think its just gonna take some time for it to sink in that brawl is just not good, unless some new L-cancelling/wavedashing is discovered (i doubt it)

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
*sigh,* the same applies in street fighter, I've played that game as well. Although it's extremely imbalanced and isn't worthy of being compared to melee. Same with DOA for that matter, although I think DOA requires better reflexes.

Oh and if you knew who Joe Bushman is then you would also know that he has had the *** version of brawl for quite a while and I've played with him before. Also, he was a huge proponent of brawl at first. Joe Bushman = One of Best Ganons in the World. Ever heard of Drephen. CoK FTW.

I, on the other hand, disliked brawl the moment I started playing it, .

As for Jman and Hax, if any of you went to pound you'd remember them as the "little rascals" who got 3rd or 4th in teams.

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how you guys are flaming him because he has a different opinion then you do. How about I say you guys are trolls since you're saying this game rocks? Wait, I'm sorry? You're not allowed to say anything negative about a purchase you paid with your own money? My bad.

BWAAAHH I CAN'T RELY ON A GLITCH TO WIN A VIDEO GAME ANYMORE. I THINK I'LL COMPLAIN ON A MESSAGE BOARD.

Brawl isn't Melee 2.0. You can't expect all of your old strategies to carry over into Brawl. Learn how to adapt into new surroundings and stop being such whiny little turds.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
If you don't like Brawl go back to Melee, I think the speed difference is fine, in few months were going find technique so just wait.

Fletch

Smash Master
BWAAAHH I CAN'T RELY ON A GLITCH TO WIN A VIDEO GAME ANYMORE. I THINK I'LL COMPLAIN ON A MESSAGE BOARD.

Brawl isn't Melee 2.0. You can't expect all of your old strategies to carry over into Brawl. Learn how to adapt into new surroundings and stop being such whiny little turds.
I wish the mods would make a rule that everyone that says "BRAWL ISN'T MELEE 2.0 KEKEKE LOL!!!" would be instantly banned, but I don't think that is going to happen. He isn't saying that he's mad Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, he's saying that they dumbed down the game so much that it just won't be competitive. If they removed all the advanced techs from Melee but replaced them with some crazier, completely different stuff, everyone would be happy. However, this is not the case (at least so far, I hope I'm wrong), and as such, Brawl just simply feels like a far inferior version of Melee. If anything, we didn't get Melee 2.0, but rather Melee 1/2.

abectevolution

Smash Cadet
But... there are crazy advanced techs in this game. Lots of people have already figured them out. Look around.

Parallax

Smash Cadet
Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less.
It's ironic because I felt EXACTLY the same way you did, down to every single aspect you mentioned; brawl seems RANDOM and with a loss of the competitive element.

BUT, try thinking about it in this sense; think of many aspects changed from 64 to melee like Z-cancelling (quite different from L-cancelling) and completely changed DI.

All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
Pikachu, Kirby, and Ness are top tier in Smash 64. Pikachu is mid tier while Ness and Kirby are low. These characters were immensely nerfed, but think about it in this way; if you are familiar with World of Warcraft- they often nerf certain classes in order to balance the game, but all this does is cause the other classes to be stronger. The point i'm trying to make is as even if you upgrade or downgrade characters to create a BALANCE, if the moves are dynamic from one another, one will always be dominantly better- it's only logical. I hope that made sense because I assume when you said players downgraded you were mainly referring to the nerf of melee's top tier Fox, Falco, and Marth.

As long as competitors take off items and randomly-dynamic stages, the competition will exist. It may not look as pretty as melee, as flashy as melee, or anything like melee, but trust me the competition will exist.

I hope the people that agree with NFwB change their perspectives a bit (in time).

I wish the mods would make a rule that everyone that says "BRAWL ISN'T MELEE 2.0 KEKEKE LOL!!!" would be instantly banned, but I don't think that is going to happen. He isn't saying that he's mad Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, he's saying that they dumbed down the game so much that it just won't be competitive. If they removed all the advanced techs from Melee but replaced them with some crazier, completely different stuff, everyone would be happy. However, this is not the case (at least so far, I hope I'm wrong), and as such, Brawl just simply feels like a far inferior version of Melee. If anything, we didn't get Melee 2.0, but rather Melee 1/2.
They didn't dumb down Melee. They made a new game.

And remember how long it took for them to discover wavedashing? Claiming there are no good new ATs the day after the US release is stupid.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually fine with the speed--yes, it's slower and will take some getting used to, but it's not unbearably slow...
The roster, especially the secret characters, on the other hand...biggest letdown in the history of SSB.

Eggm

Smash Hero
i completely agree with NFWB, the game has completely lost all combo ability, they noobified the **** out of it. i think people are just having trouble accepting that brawl may actually suck. nintendo accidentally made the perfect game with melee, and i always thought to myself, there is no way that will ever happen again, but i stayed optimistic, just like everybody else for brawl, because its crazy to think there was so much hype and excitement for a game that in the end, is not nearly as good as melee. I actually logged on to smashboards to make my own post on how much brawl is a disappointment, but i found this post and NFWB summed up everything i had to say. i think its just gonna take some time for it to sink in that brawl is just not good, unless some new L-cancelling/wavedashing is discovered (i doubt it)
I feel exactly like this. Good stuff. I think once the scrubs get bored after the intial hype and all these people who joined smashboards in 08 leave, melee will take over again.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I feel exactly like this. Good stuff. I think once the scrubs get bored after the intial hype and all these people who joined smashboards in 08 leave, melee will take over again.
I wouldn't count on Melee taking over. The competitive scene always shifts to the newest installment of the game, whether it's better or not. Soul Calibur II isn't played competitively anymore. MLG sure doesn't run Halo 2 anymore.

Actually, checking MLG's site, they currently have a lot of Brawl content...

Eggm

Smash Hero
I don't care about MLG or EVO, evo ran laggy tv's and best of 1 at evo world for melee, i'd rather go to a underground big tournament, like pound 3 run by people who know what they are doing.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
what i dislike the most is how the creators purposely toned down the game because they thought melee was too skill oriented and quick-paced. i'm sure i'll still enjoy the game, but a little part of me died when i read about the slowness, tripping, etc. melee had almost everything 64 had, and MUCH more. but while brawl added lots of things, they also took a lot away, which is disappointing.

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, people play Halo 3 now cuz it's better. And people don't play soul calibur because it's incredibly imbalanced and no traditional fighting game has that much replay value anyway.

Biggum300

Smash Apprentice
Dude you need to take that ridiculous signature down.
People don't shoot each other just because they got high.
That sig really bothers me.
When your smoking marijuana, your less likely to be violent.
DUDE IS A JOKE!why do you care?

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
ITT people get butthurt over a made up quote of surreal concepts.

Also, it's funny because it really happened.
No one in the history of the world would ever shoot themselves just to see what it feels like.
And if they did, it wasn't the weeds fault, they were just some of the dumbest, stupidest people in the ENTIRE WORLD.

Your sig is like those bull**** propaganda commercials that they show on TV.
GOD i HATE those commercials.

Its funny because the US would benefit greatly from legalization, but instead the current administration decides to run those ridiculous commercials and waste tons of money.

Why to people have to discriminate against pot smokers? Its sad.

So, its a made up quote but it really happened? Thats an oxymoron.

bceagles

Smash Cadet
I knew there was something wrong when I read your topic title, but then when I read about the xbox I knew there was foul play involved. I think the ******* of xbox are getting to your head....:dizzy:

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
So, its a made up quote but it really happened? Thats an oxymoron.
Exactly.

According to pop culture, people don't blame marijuana for a lot of things. But give them one little oxymoron and they try to defend themselves with everything they can. Even if you're lying.

But the point is: You're taking it too seriously. It's not propaganda or anything. Re-****ing-lax.

Thino

Smash Master
so many things going through my head when I read OP , I'll list some of them in a totally random order:

something already discussed ,very OLD, complainer , stick to melee , wtf16pages? , troll, smash has always been a party game welcome to 1999, suspicious username who registered just to say how brawl fails ,TROLL ! etc...

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Blah blah blah, this thread is pointless, flame flame flame (which I can now aim both up AND down),
blah blah blah dribble dribble.

Right. Now I've made a post with a similar level of intelligence to some of the other posts in this thread, I would like to congratulate Tino's White Horse for having the most awesome name ever. Go DDR SuperNova.

That is all.

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
Right. Now I've made a post with a similar level of intelligence to some of the other posts in this thread, I would like to congratulate Tino's White Horse for having the most awesome name ever. Go DDR SuperNova.

That is all.
Are you flaming me or everyone else?

Because I haven't done anything but describe the meaning of my sig that someone paranoid decided to find controversial.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Are you flaming me or everyone else?

Because I haven't done anything but describe the meaning of my sig that someone paranoid decided to find controversial.
The whole thread is so crazily off topic...

I guess that's what happens when someone makes a thread pointlessly criticizing the game that everyone on these boards has been waiting for for years. The thread title, even the topic creator's username... It's just asking for a fight.

Someone makes a mildly off-topic post, which, to be honest, I really didn't see what was so bad about, then everyone jumps on you. This thread should've been closed a long time ago.

I still love DDR SuperNova.

Hobojoe3000

Smash Rookie
On the theory of fighting games

Well, let me preface by saying that I do not yet have the game, so all information which I am using is second hand at this point and should be regarded as such. Secondly, I will concede the point that it is far too early to make any judgments about Brawl, but, given that the entire point of this discussion is to make judgments about Brawl, abstaining from voicing my first (zeroth?) would not be constructive to discourse.

With that out of the way, I will attempt to break down the argument. The arguing party says that the game is "less skillful" citing the lack of wave dashing, L-canceling, and the ease of grabbing the edge, and the lower gravity making combos less prevalent; the opposition says that the game is not less skillful citing the lack of good information, and the ability of competition to emerge from various conditions. The combo/wave dash argument says that the gaming "skill" has been removed in favor of "mashing." What they are citing as skill is the ability to press a specific combination of buttons in a short period of time. While this is definitely a skill, it is not one which I regard as a particularly skillful. That is, any good tournament player will know how to wave dash or L-cancel and is only a matter of time to learn, and lord knows we all have time (hence playing video games competitively).

To illustrate the point, imagine that instead of removing wave dashing they had bound wave dashing to the R button. This would remove all the "skill" of wave dashing in that it wouldn't be very difficult to do, but it would still exist in the game. It's not truly the mechanic of wave dashing which makes it "skillful" but rather it is its difficulty. Or imagine a similar shift in a different direction: instead of having one button to attack, you would now have to hit two buttons in succession within 4 frames of each other to do a basic attack. Now, basic attacking would be a very "skillful" action, and of course, that would make the game very "skill" intensive, but everyone would hate it except for the most hardened button masher.

Essentially, I am breaking so called "teching" in to what it truly is: an extra button on the controller which is very hard to reach. The further you have to reach to press the button, the more "tech" it is considered. Even so, pressing a button is still just that, pressing a button, and valuing that as a skill is a very strange thing to do.

So, if it is not the difficulty of a maneuver which makes it "skillful" then what is it? In my mind, it is the use of said maneuver which truly makes it skillful. For example, wave dashing itself is not that useful, as it is essentially a movement function, but using it to edge hog is a very skillful use. Using wave dashing to edge hog would remain skillful even if it was bound to the R button. Performing an action is not a very skillful skill; getting value out of a skill is.

That being said, in my view, Brawl is no less skillful in terms of eking value than Melee. Just from posts in this very thread, it can be said that most if not all of the characters have a foil or weakness. Some characters weaknesses are more exploitable than others in all probability, and those will be the bottom tier, at least until the top tier has its weaknesses figured.

So, in my view, Brawl is less "skillful" if you define skill as pressing buttons very quickly. It is not less skillful if you define skill as "knowing when to do what." Of course, this is with limited information; it may prove to be true that there is no way of gaining value from a given move set or using a maneuver in unexpected ways. If that is true, then I will eat these words. But just from preliminary information and videos, it does not seem to be.

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
The whole thread is so crazily off topic...

I guess that's what happens when someone makes a thread pointlessly criticizing the game that everyone on these boards has been waiting for for years. The thread title, even the topic creator's username... It's just asking for a fight.

Someone makes a mildly off-topic post, which, to be honest, I really didn't see what was so bad about, then everyone jumps on you. This thread should've been closed a long time ago.

I still love DDR SuperNova.
I enjoy this post.

Usually people who make their username and sig about the thread they want to whine about are just annoying and never taken seriously.

And, yes. I'm just minding my business, trollin' and whatnot and someone misunderstands my sig.

Also, DDR has a tendency of making 9 footer songs feel like 12 footers.

PS: It didn't feel good when we shot each other. Not for me, at least. My friend just flinched and let out a quick yelp. She took it better than I did.

EDIT: My GIF pushed off the text in my sig.

God ****ing dammit.

Miles Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
I read the first two lines of the guys post and I got this otu of it.

"Wah wah no L-Cancelling and Wavedashing"

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
-You can airdodge continuously

This is the reason I love Brawl.

What can I say? I serves you bias fanboys right. I'm afraid Nintendo is not the only folks in the world who can make a good game. I'm only bias to good games; regardles of systems or company.

I cannot understand fanboys, what is there to gain? Game equality folks!

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
haha I love how this thread got some people really furious.
First of all its hard to say something about ssbm vs. ssbb that hasn't been said before, and it will only continue.
I agree with NintendoFailedWithBrawl because he is correct in saying its dull, but everyone else is also correct in saying deal with it it's a different game. Debate is nice but realize there is more than one side, so no more whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom