• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets discuss Gimmick.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys consider gimmick, what do you love/hate about gimmicks, and post those stories.
You know, that story where wobbled your friend to 300%, where you suicide dived with Kirby/DK, where you wall stalled with peach over-b,anything of this sort(or were victim to any such tactics)

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think he just means "tell stories about when crazy **** happened in smash bros."

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff is one giant gimmick.
To quote Hbox, "I basically got good with gimmicks."

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
I believe Sheik is one big gimmick. Might be just because I am a Falcon main...

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
A gimmick is not "something that I lose to"
A gimmick is "something that only works because it's such a bad option nobody knows how to handle it"
Examples include: standing laser spam, fullscreen runup usmash, playing low tiers.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Nothing sheik actually does is a gimmick. She is the gimmick. After all, you do pick Zelda on the title screen, not sheik

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It's hard for me to define what a gimmick in terms of Smash actually is so I went to Google.
[collapse=Gimmick Definition]
[/collapse]

Under this definition, I've come to the conclusion that my entire god damn playstyle is a gimmick. I moonwalk, I pivot to ledge grabs and go for tilted Falcon Punches. If that's not a gimmick I don't know what is.

LOOOL

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
Under this definition, I've come to the conclusion that my entire god damn playstyle is a gimmick. I moonwalk, I pivot to ledge grabs and go for tilted Falcon Punches. If that's not a gimmick I don't know what is.
LOOOL
Hopefully, I'll have the pleasure of dealing with that C.Fal. Whenever I have time to hit-up some big tourny's here in WA.

It's okay, I'm considered 100% gimmick. Jigglypuffball main here.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Hopefully, I'll have the pleasure of dealing with that C.Fal. Whenever I have time to hit-up some big tourny's here in WA.

It's okay, I'm considered 100% gimmick. Jigglypuffball main here.
If you don't already, come to Gameclucks in Lynnwood. It's a big tournament the first Saturday of every month and lots of people usually show. Also join the WA Facebook group. :falconmelee:

I actually need more practice against Puff! I have very little patience and playing against Jiggs forces me to learn how to be patient.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
If you don't already, come to Gameclucks in Lynnwood. It's a big tournament the first Saturday of every month and lots of people usually show. Also join the WA Facebook group. :falconmelee:
Cool, thanks TerryJ. I'll make sure to be there whenever I can :jigglypuffmelee:.
I don't into C.Fal, I need to lear him.

Alright, I think, my favorite gimmick is wobbling. I've mentioned it twice before, but that's because I really do love it. Wobblez the Phoenix saw something in IC that no one else did, and created a technique that is now banned in alot of tournaments (not EVO :icsmelee:) it's ****ing beautiful.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Cool, thanks TerryJ. I'll make sure to be there whenever I can :jigglypuffmelee:.
I don't into C.Fal, I need to lear him.
I hope to see you there :D

Alright, I think, my favorite gimmick is wobbling. I've mentioned it twice before, but that's because I really do love it. Wobblez the Phoenix saw something in IC that no one else did, and created a technique that is now banned in alot of tournaments (not EVO :icsmelee:) it's ****ing beautiful.
I personally love how it's not banned anymore. It takes a fair amount of skill to get a grab (imo) in high level play with IC's so just don't get grabbed and it won't be a problem.

This is Melee, where the only things banned are silly stages and items.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
I personally love how it's not banned anymore. It takes a fair amount of skill to get a grab (imo) in high level play with IC's so just don't get grabbed and it won't be a problem.

This is Melee, where the only things banned are silly stages and items.
It makes me sad that Wobblez retired. There are a few things that are banned. IC freeze glitch, which is wobbling on super steroids and is ****ed up. PP infinite wall stalling with her pelvic thrust is banned for stalling.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Talking about Wobbles and Gimmicks, he has a definition that I would completely cosign regarding fighting games:
Wobbles Blog said:
I define “gimmick” as “something that can only work when the other player does not know the counter. If you can always stop something just by having some experience against it, it’s a gimmick. Some strategies have counters, but they can be implemented in the form of mix-ups, and you can still catch somebody off-guard even if they know better.
So that'd be things like Jigglypuffs rollout. It's easy to see coming, but next to nobody has enough experience to actually deal with it well.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Gimmicks are useful for breaking someones spirit, that's really all I can think of, its kind of like saying "Yea, I can use stupid tricks and you still can't beat me."

Bones0

Smash Legend
I just consider a gimmick something that stops working as soon as your opponent realizes what's going on. So something like Luigi nairing out of Fox's uthrow uair because the Fox thinks it should combo would be a gimmick. (So basically, what Wobbles said; I missed that quote. lol)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I play the gimmick climbers.
every one of their infinites (excluding wobbling and handoff) is escapable.
their blizzard walls are actually a joke.
their approach is really bad, I just do it anyway.
their recovery is super gimpable once you realize nana is invincible during upB
and yeah.

wobbling isn't a gimmick though. get grabbed and you're dead. that's pretty much it. no way around that.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I think gimmicks are mostly strange things that can trick someone once in a while, but without that surprise factor, they are not safe or don't actually work. There was a video of a link (I think internet explorer) where he used his down-air over some needles that the shiek threw, and because of the needles, he bounced and didn't have the landing lag. The shiek went in for a punish but missed, so she got punished instead. That to me is a gimmick because if the shiek knew what was up, it would be highly punishable.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Gimmicks don't exist at the high level...that's why I don't believe in them. The average player's breadth of knowledge is not that much, but a high level player has probably seen and done it all...don't expect them to be surprised.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
So
Jigglypuff is one giant gimmick.
To quote Hbox, "I basically got good with gimmicks."
given what's been said, would HBox be wrong? He claims to be all gimmick, but keeping top 10 wouldn't be possible via gimmick, if people can beat gimmick with just a little bit of experience against it

Varist

Smash Lord
So given what's been said, would HBox be wrong? He claims to be all gimmick, but keeping top 10 wouldn't be possible via gimmick, if people can beat gimmick with just a little bit of experience against it
I think the way you're imagining "gimmick" as a term is a little misguided. In melee, we rotate certain strategies in and out of our gameplay. You cycle the use of shield pressure techniques and timing the same way you cycle your strategies for approaching.

Hungrybox getting good with gimmicks basically means he abused certain strengths that Jigglypuff has as a character, strengths that makes her very unique, and used them to beat his opponent until they learned the counter. Then he rotated in a different strategy.

If you analyze some of the games Hungrybox has played you will notice a very simplistic and predictable style.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
I think the way you're imagining "gimmick" as a term is a little misguided. In melee, we rotate certain strategies in and out of our gameplay. You cycle the use of shield pressure techniques and timing the same way you cycle your strategies for approaching.

Hungrybox getting good with gimmicks basically means he abused certain strengths that Jigglypuff has as a character, strengths that makes her very unique, and used them to beat his opponent until they learned the counter. Then he rotated in a different strategy.

If you analyze some of the games Hungrybox has played you will notice a very simplistic and predictable style.
Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't entirely sure what HBox meant when he said gimmick.
What about King's Rollout?

Top Bottom