• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Less-than-likely Pokemon Reps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only plant pokemon I like are Cacturne, Torterra, and Abomasnow.

I hate plant pokemon

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If we got one Pokemon newcomer for every type, this would be what I'd want.

Normal- Eevee
Ice- Spheal
Figthning- Blaziken
Dark- Zoroark
Ghost- Shuppet
Ground- Donphan
Grass- Torterra
Fire- Victini
Psychic- Deoxys
Water- Oshawott
Bug- Leavanny
Poison- Nidoqueen
Flying- Vespiquen
Rock- Tyranitar
Steel- Scizor
Dragon- Grachomp
Electric- Luxray

Not all would work into Smash but they would be great characters and unique compared to the Pokemon characters already in the game

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unlike Bellossom, Lilligant is always female, and is more speed oriented.

It's too bad, however, that Lilligant doesn't do so well in the RPGs if it's not part of a Sunny Day team, and even then, it's more suited for double battles or triple battles; with Entrainment and Chlorophyll, it could really help out its own teammates.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Normal- Exploud
Ice- Abomasnow
Figthning- Breloom
Dark- Scrafty
Ghost- Drifblim
Ground- Excadrill
Grass- Cacturne
Fire- Volcarona
Psychic- Reuniclus
Water- Blastoise
Bug- Scolipede
Poison- Drapion
Flying- Vespiquen
Rock- Carracosta
Steel- Magnezone
Dragon- Hydregion
Electric- Ampharos

I had a lot of hard choices

jigglover

Smash Lord
@Mario and sonic guy, Lilligant actually has an extraordinary special attack stat! I used it in my first play-through of black (there's a trade in nacrene) and it ended up soloing 2 of the elite four! I also use it on my competitive RU team, and it's not even a sunny team! Anyway, I'll follow the trend:
Normal - Jigglypuff Miltank
Ice - Snover
Fighting - Poliwrath
Dark - Sharpedo
Ghost - Drifblim
Ground - Flygon
Grass - Cacturne
Fire - Magcargo
Psychic - Gallade
Water - Wailord
Bug - Sorry, I can't choose between Shuckle and Heracross!
Poison - Koffing
Flying - Scyther
Rock - Sudowoodo
Steel - Mawile
Dragon - Altaria
Electric - Elekid!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@jigglover: I am aware of Lilligant's special attack stat, but its special attack options are very shallow, and its defenses are rather fragile. Using it for the main story is one thing, but using it at the PWT and Battle Subway is another.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Unlike bellossom though, Lilligant can learn quiver dance for a reliable set up, he can status opponents with moves like sleep powder to give her an even better chance to set up with her fragile (ish) defenses as well. It can learn a reliable recovery in synthesis, and with own tempo can use petal dance with no confusion. I'm just saying that Lilligant seems more like an up-dated version of bellossom than a worse one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, why Zozoark was getting all the hype from casual fans of the series, the one getting the hype from the hardcore fans during launch would make A LOT better candidate for the game.

Excadrill!

jigglover

Smash Lord
PI, Excadrill is in Ubers. This means that all of the casual fans wouldn't be able to use him in battles, and few hard-core as well on their actual games!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unlike bellossom though, Lilligant can learn quiver dance for a reliable set up, he can status opponents with moves like sleep powder to give her an even better chance to set up with her fragile (ish) defenses as well. It can learn a reliable recovery in synthesis, and with own tempo can use petal dance with no confusion. I'm just saying that Lilligant seems more like an up-dated version of bellossom than a worse one.
You're probably right there. I guess I only thought of Lilligant as being one to help others take advantage of Sunny Day, but when you think it over, Leavanny can utilize Entrainment to give Chlorophyll to its teammates too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Excadrill wasn't known to be in ubers during development. He was still hyped up though because of his typing and stats and eventually did get set into ubers because he's awesome.

Before that though he was the talk of the forums for hardcore fans

I think we all knew he was going to get into ubers, but people still hoped he'd get into OU

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
I'd go for Garchomp if anything. I might even make a moveset for him. But I think that the only reps for pokemon should be Zoroark and Pikachu, everyone else should just be Pokeball pokemon or bosses (Hydreigon maybe?)

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Any of the Babies: Baby Pokemon 4 Smash!

So, the only secong Gen. rep we've had for Pokemon was Pichu, who was a clone and wasn't even a good one. Bottom of the tier. I still like the whole baby-Pokemon idea, because it would bring some innocence to Smash. Deadly innocence. So, this is the list:
Igglybuff
Togepi
Tyrogue
Elekid
Smoochum
Magby
Azurill
Cleffa
Wynaut
Budew
Chingling
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Happiny
Munchlax
Mantyke
Riolu
Baby Kangashkan

Please discuss. If I had to vote, it would be for Munchlax or Togepi.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Munchlax would be awesome if he gets to use TM/HM abilities, using just his level-up abilities would give a lackluster moveset. A final smash where he transforms into a huge Snorlax and body slams everyone on the map would be sweet.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Please, please take baby Kanghaskan off the list! Unless you want to completely lose credit. He is not playable. Not an actual character. A child version of a pokemon that doesn't evolve - he isn't even a pre-evolution! If I had to pick though:
Igglybuff (just to bring some nostalgia from the herds of them in pokemon Colosseum.)
Elekid I used it in white 2. 2 words: Awe some.
Bonsly I liked his part in the anime and the side quest in XD. He's actually the first pokemon of a generation to debut in a game in the generation below. Well, him and Munchlax were both in XD, but Bonsly is cooler!
That's about it. I won't lie though, Tyrogue would be cool. Like, if you could choose who to evolve into for a final smash and then you could keep on playing until the next final smash!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they should get rid of the title baby pokemon and just make them prevolutions.

Unless they want to go the whole digimon route and make each level have defining characteristics and evolutions into the next level

jigglover

Smash Lord
This is true for some, but like adamantditto said in one of there videos "it's a way to keep families of pokemon together". What this means, (that quote was from the "pokemon that need evolutions.") and it was for Jynx. Just a quick runtrough was that in gen 1, Jynx, Magmar and Electabuzz were the mascots if you like of the elemental punches (fire/ice/thunder punch) and in gen 2 they all got baby pokemon! In gen 4 though, Elektivire and Magmortar came into the scene with no evolution for Jynx!!! Anyway, while some I think it would be better to call pre-evolutions, like Mantyke (I didn't even realize it was a baby pokemon until he was on that list!) and Togepi, others, like elekid and magby I think should stay baby pokemon.

Note: Get rid of baby kanghaskan, he only exists on sprites for Kanghaskan (not even the anime) and it's only to give Kangaskhan more of a mothery feel!!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it's very strange Togepi and Riolu are baby Pokemon. Seems unnecessary when the "adult" Pokemon are from the same gen. :ohwell:

As for them being in Smash, the only one with even the slightest chance is Pichu. The ones that are Pokeball Pokemon work pretty well in their roles though IMO. Who knows though, for some reason Game Freak often likes to promote new gens with baby Pokemon, so if applicable for the sixth gen, and that Pokemon gains enough popularity and seems like it would work in Smash, then I guess another baby Pokemon would be possible. Lot of ifs though. Plus usually baby Pokemon aren't the best fighters.

Though I'd like to see baby Kangaskhan for the sole purpose of confusing everybody. :troll::laugh:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
None of them are going to appear as playable characters, let's leave it as that.

Cleffa is the cutest of all of them though. No contest, don't even bother.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'd go for Garchomp if anything. I might even make a moveset for him. But I think that the only reps for pokemon should be Zoroark and Pikachu, everyone else should just be Pokeball pokemon or bosses (Hydreigon maybe?)
You are new here, You think we should cut 5 non-clone characters!? Plus, Mewtwo is one of the most requested characters for Smash Bros 4 and was the one that got the most disappointment after being left out of Brawl. And he is the 2nd most popular Pokemon after Charizard.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's also the second most awesome after Blastoise

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
You are new here, You think we should cut 5 non-clone characters!? Plus, Mewtwo is one of the most requested characters for Smash Bros 4 and was the one that got the most disappointment after being left out of Brawl. And he is the 2nd most popular Pokemon after Charizard.
That's just what I'd prefer to give other lesser known series a shot at a character or two, but realistically, I know this would never happen.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Makes more sense than a fish evolving into an octopus. :facepalm:

Stupid Remoraid...
Excuse me, I very much like octillery! I have to admit though, the first time I had a remoraid was in colloseum (he was pitifully weak, the producers actually put him at level 20 when the next pokemon - and the pokemon before him - was level 30). Anyway, I trained him up at mount battle and he evolved into an octopus!?? Anyway, Octillery was the best pokemon on my team! (YAY)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Excuse me, I very much like octillery! I have to admit though, the first time I had a remoraid was in colloseum (he was pitifully weak, the producers actually put him at level 20 when the next pokemon - and the pokemon before him - was level 30). Anyway, I trained him up at mount battle and he evolved into an octopus!?? Anyway, Octillery was the best pokemon on my team! (YAY)

Doesn't change the fact that a fish to octopus evolution is ridiculous. Darwin would turn over in his grave. :laugh:

Nothing against Octillery though. I still like that line more than the Finneon -> Lumineon one and dumb ol' Basculin. :smirk:

jigglover

Smash Lord
It's already odd enough that a Magikarp (a fish) can evolve into a Gyarados (a sea serpent).
Actually there's this interesting folklore the influenced the design of Magikarp and Gyarados. And yes, it is about a fish turning into a dragon!
Magikarp is based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. Several waterfalls and cataracts in China are believed to be the location of the Dragon Gate. This legend is an allegory of the drive and efforts needed to overcome obstacles. This may have inspired an element in Pokémon Snap where, after certain steps are taken, a Magikarp will splash its way into a waterfall where it evolves.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Cubone is a baby kangashkan
I like the theory of Cubone -> Marowak -> Kangashkan. It makes so much sense. Cubone is wearing a Kangashkan skull on his head.

That also means that the little baby in Kangashkan's pocket is a baby Cubone :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like the theory of Cubone -> Marowak -> Kangashkan. It makes so much sense. Cubone is wearing a Kangashkan skull on his head.

That also means that the little baby in Kangashkan's pocket is a baby Cubone :)
While I like that theory, if Marowak ever gets an evolution I'd want it to be a Ground/ Ghost type. Also, Cubone's mother should be retconned into that said evolution

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Doesn't change the fact that a fish to octopus evolution is ridiculous. Darwin would turn over in his grave. :laugh:

Nothing against Octillery though. I still like that line more than the Finneon -> Lumineon one and dumb ol' Basculin. :smirk:
Fun fact. The Remoraid line can be seen as evolving a gun into a cannon, based on the duo's designs. Makes more sense now.

But yeah, dat Marowak. My personal favorite. Ghost/Ground would be nice, as well, for an evolution.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No one wants to play as a random cat thing or nazca lines

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC