• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype!!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
So assuming this 4chan guy is legit, Ganondorf is the same old Ganondorf, not a hypothetical "new" Ganondorf, meaning that this game takes place prior to Ocarina of Time? Between Minish Cap and Ocarina, perhaps? I like the idea of expanding upon the Timeshift Stones, especially since the Hyrule Historia confirmed that the Ocarina of Time itself is made of one.

Also, blue pig Ganon is in a 3D Zelda game at long last? This excites me.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Waiting for any kind of news for this game is getting pretty old to be honest. I hope that we get another peek at this game in the next big Direct... But I may be getting my hopes up too much, because Nintendo.

I'd love nothing more than an open-world concept that I can just get completely and utterly lost in with quests and things to do while slowly moving toward the ending. I feel that this is something that Skyward Sword really failed to achieve. Of course, I'm not saying that SS was a bad game (I'm hoping that the upgrading system that they brought in SS shows its face in Zelda U in a more expanded and polished form), but I felt like it was over far too quickly compared to past major Zelda games, especially considering how long we wait between them.

D

Deleted member

I hope this thing comes to Wii U, even with NX coming this year and it most likely being a dual release hopefully it comes this year to Wii U or next year!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is this game basically non-existant now?? Haven't heard **** for months.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't worry guys...when e3 rolls around we'll get another 12 seconds of footage to hold us off until its eventual release...:troll:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Voice Acting-Obviously it be cool for the Zelda series to go this route since it's long overdue...Characters like Midna, Fi, and Zelda (SS) have some voice acting in their respective games though only partially...

I have a couple theories as to why they didn't use voice acting before...1) Link isn't necessarily named Link as the player can name him however they want, same is true for Epona...dialogue would be strange to have your character named 'George' for example but the voiced dialogue would still call him Link...this is true in other games like Fire Emblem, and in games like Mass Effect non one calls Commander Shepard by his/her first name which the player can choose (though male/female pronouns do change depending on the gender)...
2)Localization is a lot easier as grunts, sighs, giggles, shouts, etc are neutral to any language...however the use of the hylian language, or whatever language that particular race speaks would be a simple solution...but in general it's just easier

----

Female Option-I'm 'ok' with it...and that's about it...an option to make Link a female might just be that, an option...I always name Link, 'Link' and Epona, 'Epona' because I like my Zelda experience to feel genuine...perhaps I may do one playthorugh with female Link just to try it out but it won't be something that sticks...I'd prefer however for Link to not be the avatar type character, unlike the Pokemon Trainers and Robin/Corrin, etc...

some suggest that Linkle may the female option, but Hyrule Warriors has established her as her own separate character; you can even see in the concept art that she was originally meant to be a female Link but they went a different route with her...which I am glad they did...

However for an option to play as a female character I would much rather we are able to play as Zelda, which I feel is something that is long overdue...The eponymous princess deserves her shot in the spotlight and her ever increasing prominence outside of being the generic damsel is getting us closer this...We ended up getting games like Skyward Sword and Spirit tracks where you can play as Zelda however briefly...and then there's Hyrule Warriors which basically gave her something to work with for future titles if she were to be playable...However, I don't want Link and Zelda to swap roles like some people suggest...

----

I do have to say that neither full voice acting, nor a female option is necessary for the franchise...

finalark

SNORLAX
2)Localization is a lot easier as grunts, sighs, giggles, shouts, etc are neutral to any language...however the use of the hylian language, or whatever language that particular race speaks would be a simple solution...but in general it's just easier
We're at a point in time where this just isn't a valid excuse anymore. It's 2016. Companies like Sqaure Enix, Atlas, Konami and plenty others have been localizing games with significantly more dialog than an in any given Zelda game since the early 2000s. Hell, Nintendo localized the Xenoblade series, which also has was more dialog than LoZ.

And you really can't like money is an issue either. Nintendo is a multi-million dollar corporation that, despite how poorly the Wii U is selling, is still one of the wealthiest companies in gaming. It's not like they're a small company that appeals to niche audiences like NIS.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We're at a point in time where this just isn't a valid excuse anymore. It's 2016. Companies like Sqaure Enix, Atlas, Konami and plenty others have been localizing games with significantly more dialog than an in any given Zelda game since the early 2000s. Hell, Nintendo localized the Xenoblade series, which also has was more dialog than LoZ.

And you really can't like money is an issue either. Nintendo is a multi-million dollar corporation that, despite how poorly the Wii U is selling, is still one of the wealthiest companies in gaming. It's not like they're a small company that appeals to niche audiences like NIS.
An excuse is still an excuse, whether or not it is a valid one...even if they can afford it, it is still easier to not do it...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I strongly prefer not having full voice acting. In Mario sunshine Bowser spoke and it sounded wrong. Voice acting completely ruined Samus' character in Other M. I liked the FFVII cast better in the original FFVII than in advent children and voiced games. Saying voice acting is better than not is like saying a movie is better than a book, often not true.

On the subject of a gender bent Link, I have no strong opinion.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I strongly prefer not having full voice acting. In Mario sunshine Bowser spoke and it sounded wrong. Voice acting completely ruined Samus' character in Other M. I liked the FFVII cast better in the original FFVII than in advent children and voiced games. Saying voice acting is better than not is like saying a movie is better than a book, often not true.

On the subject of a gender bent Link, I have no strong opinion.
I do agree that Bowser's voice was weird (and Jr's acting wasn't great either) but I liked FLUDD and Peach a lot. I think the casting was just off for Bowser. As for Other M the script was the big problem, not the voices. Jessica Martin wasn't the best voice actress by any stretch (she was a stage actress after all), but I think she did a passable job given the material she had to work with and I actually Dave Elvin's portrayal of Adam (again, a character ruined by script, but the voice acting was really solid).

I'm not saying that voice acting is necessarily better, but I feel that done right (like Xenoblade Chronicles or Dragon Quest VIII) it can really bring something to life.
And no, it's not like saying a movie is better than a book, it's like saying an audio-book can be better than the paper format.

I'm really for Female Link, or Linkle/Link's Sister/Whatever (I would guess the former, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the pokémon route, with the non-triforce character still being in the world). I just generally find female protagonists more interesting to play as.

finalark

SNORLAX
I strongly prefer not having full voice acting. In Mario sunshine Bowser spoke and it sounded wrong. Voice acting completely ruined Samus' character in Other M.
Can we please stop using Mario Sunshine as an example for why Nintendo shouldn't do voice acting? That game came out over ten years ago. It wasn't just a Nintendo thing either. Every game that came out around that time had questionable direction and voice acting.

Other M's voice acting was actually alright for the most part, I still think Martin could have voiced a good Samus. But bad direction and script really tanked it. Besides, I'm pretty sure the blame should be pinned on Team Ninja, the people who actually made the game, not Nintendo.

As for FFVII, well, you can blame everyone's monotone and downtrodden voices on that whole "BEING BROODY AND TORTURED IS SO EDGY" thing the 2000s had going on. Crisis Core, FFXIII and most of the Kingdom Hearts games show that Square can get some really good actors and directors on board.

I agree entirely with Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites on this one. Good voice acting can really bring a game to life. Plus we're in an age where floating text boxes over beautifully animated and directed cinematics is starting to come off more as lazy and backwards than it is quaint and charming.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Can we please stop using Mario Sunshine as an example for why Nintendo shouldn't do voice acting? That game came out over ten years ago. It wasn't just a Nintendo thing either. Every game that came out around that time had questionable direction and voice acting.

Other M's voice acting was actually alright for the most part, I still think Martin could have voiced a good Samus. But bad direction and script really tanked it. Besides, I'm pretty sure the blame should be pinned on Team Ninja, the people who actually made the game, not Nintendo.

As for FFVII, well, you can blame everyone's monotone and downtrodden voices on that whole "BEING BROODY AND TORTURED IS SO EDGY" thing the 2000s had going on. Crisis Core, FFXIII and most of the Kingdom Hearts games show that Square can get some really good actors and directors on board.

I agree entirely with Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites on this one. Good voice acting can really bring a game to life. Plus we're in an age where floating text boxes over beautifully animated and directed cinematics is starting to come off more as lazy and backwards than it is quaint and charming.
FYI Sakamoto was the one that headed the project, he was the one that directed and wrote the script for Other M and he was the one that made a lot of the major decisions regarding the game...Team Ninja basically did what they were told...

finalark

SNORLAX
FYI Sakamoto was the one that headed the project, he was the one that directed and wrote the script for Other M and he was the one that made a lot of the major decisions regarding the game...Team Ninja basically did what they were told...

I'm still for voice acting in LoZ. Nintendo did a good job with Fire Emblem and the Xenoblade series.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, Team Ninja was mainly in charge of gameplay.

Which was pretty good honestly. They did their job well.

Plot and writing was all Sakamoto.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Yeah, Sakamoto still made a lot of the major decisions in that area as well though...such as limiting the player to just using the wii mote, which was also one of the worst things about the game if you ask me...

finalark

SNORLAX

I actually thought the game play was pretty bad.

It was a 3D beat 'em designed for a PS360 controller jammed onto something comparable to a NES controller.

finalark

SNORLAX

For the first time in, well, ever, I feel like I just saw an actual evolution of Zelda. Link is seen using different weapons and armor, sneaking around in tall grass, climbing various structures and environments, voice acting is heavily implied.

Please don't shoehorn the ALttP into this, Nintendo.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the trailer is incredible! Honestly, it reminds me of the E3 trailer for Twilight Princess. Not so much the actual game play, but the scenery. Maaaaaaybe Midna will make a return appearance?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The Legend of Skyrim: Breath of Assassin's Creed? Is that Ezio climbing that temple wall? Is that Connor hunting down that buck? Nope... It's... Link?

I watched pretty much the entire stream earlier, and this new Zelda appears to be taking elements from every popular open-world game over the past few years and jamming it into a Zelda game. How I feel about it is unknown. Depending on what they decide to do with this, I may be overjoyed beyond belief, or sorely disappointed depending on how lively they make the NPCs. They've clearly done an excellent job with the wilderness, and how the wild animals (and even enemies) interact with each other (Bokoblins hunting down bugs, boars, pheasants and other wildlife from food), as well as how Link interacts with them as well, which brings me to my next point.

It was interesting to see how each different person who played the game from Link's awakening in the cave took drastically different paths once they emerged onto the Plateau, and all of them managed to still find things to do, and weren't limited on what they could/couldn't do. Whether they decided to jump off that cliff in the beginning, run down the path to the right, or scale the cliff and venture into the frigid mountains to the left was completely up to them, and they weren't punished at all for doing so, they even progressed regardless of where they went in some way (Shrines, hunting spots, areas rich with resources, etc). I'm personally a big fan of an opening like this, where the player is quite literally thrown out into the wilderness without silly tutorials and hand-holding that occurred in previous Zelda games. Another interesting thing I noted was how a few players took the same paths, but used the different weapons and environments to play their own way, and defeat the enemies drastically different from the last person to achieve the same goal. Some players chose to use the different arrows to bomb the camps, some used stealth and assassinated lone enemies (yes, that's a thing), others chose to run into enemy camps swords swinging. The combat system caters to different players' play-styles, and doesn't demand you defeat the enemy a certain way.

Another thing I like is how Link is truly in the wilderness in this game. It was stated that there will be many towns with NPCs throughout this Hyrule, but once Link leaves said towns; Hearts are nowhere to be found in this game. It's up to him to survive using the various resources found throughout Hyrule, keep himself fed, make camp fires to cook meals and elixirs for himself to continue on, and even prepare for bad weather should it arrive (rainstorms douse out camp fires, and may even change terrain). Suddenly, that pot lid shield that the enemy dropped, or that quiver of arrows you found in that chest isn't so useless anymore, because Link's weapons and shields will break after heavy use. Of course, it can be assumed that as Link progresses, he will eventually get a version of the Hylian Shield, and the Master Sword which I highly doubt will break, but until then, the player needs to plan before doing things. Link can either explore a snowy area by carrying a lit torch, eating a spicy dish that he cooked, or wear a warm coat to battle to cold.

I love where the Sheikah (will we finally get to know these people more?) skills are going, some of them look insanely fun to use.

Honestly, if they do half a good a job with the NPCs, town interaction and quests (I would think there will be some, given how enemies drop unique spoils and there are numerous resources in every region) as they did with the wilderness, we might be getting the best Zelda game yet in my opinion. I'd personally love to see the townsfolk interact with you the way they did in Majora's Mask, where they had lives, deep personalities and daily routines that you had to watch out for (examples being Kafei, the Postman's morning runs, certain shops opening up / different people coming out at night, etc).

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm quite satisfied with the open-world aspects of the game...freedom to do whatever the **** you want!

At this point the only thing that can disappoint me is the story of the game...with such a vast world there's a lot to do and so much time I could spend just diddling around accomplishing nothing...

I really can't wait to explore this game, I want to see how civilization is in this game as so far they've shown off a whole bunch of wilderness...As much as I'd like to explore I'd also like to interact with different NPC's from time to time...like Midna and Impa

So far they've also only had 3 hearts (and more depending on food and potions which temporarily increased Link's health) but will they bring back back heart containers? or some way to permanently increase health, and possibly increase stamina as well? They gave us so much in the Treehouse but there's still so many unanswered questions...

from what I hear the area they explored covered about 2% of the entire map and they didn't even cover all of it...

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I believe it has been confirmed a few times throughout the game-play that there will be a means to upgrade the Stamina Meter as well, and I'm glad. It appears to run out extremely quickly in this game.

I wonder if there will be drawbacks to using the Master Sword in this game, encouraging players to use a few other weapons even after getting it; same goes with the Hylian Shield (or whatever endgame shield we get) should it appear. I wonder if running around with these in a thunderstorm will make it dangerous for Link to use in such conditions, encouraging him to have at least a few weapon variations. We've already seen that Link is vastly affected by the environment in BotW, so I really wouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.

Another thing I find interesting about this game is how the Monks refer to the enemy as "Ganon". The first thing I thought of was Pig Ganon, especially since we are also being teased with those twin peaks found in the original Zelda's artwork being transferred into the game. Could it also be possible that we're going to see a new incarnation of who we know as Ganondorf? I can't help but wonder what part of the timeline this takes place in. It strikes me as being more futuristic than other Zeldas, the land has obviously gone through some kind of horrible ordeal (ruins everywhere), so I highly doubt we're in the beginning of the timeline. Some have said that it may be sometime after Wind Waker due to the presence of the Koroks. However, it really doesn't look anything like Spirit Tracks, and Ganondorf is supposedly "dead" in that timeline. At the same time, the Koroks were a direct evolutionary response to the Great Flood, so having them in any other timeline wouldn't really make sense.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Man they weren't kidding about making the game as opened as possible, the fact that you can fight the FINAL boss at the very BEGINNING is amazingly surprising!
I was completely speechless when I saw the trailer (I think I'm not the only one but still) and thought I was dreaming! This game looks great and I cannot wait to play it!
However there's one thing that worries me: the regular sword combo. I know I'm getting nitpicky but from what I've seen, you can only do horizontal slashes and a spin attack. I know it isn't the only sword move you can make but it looks like it's the only sword combo you can do. I hope we'll be able to make a better combo (I think the sword combo from the Wind Waker was the best).
Other than that I'm super duper hyped about The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe it has been confirmed a few times throughout the game-play that there will be a means to upgrade the Stamina Meter as well, and I'm glad. It appears to run out extremely quickly in this game.

I wonder if there will be drawbacks to using the Master Sword in this game, encouraging players to use a few other weapons even after getting it; same goes with the Hylian Shield (or whatever endgame shield we get) should it appear. I wonder if running around with these in a thunderstorm will make it dangerous for Link to use in such conditions, encouraging him to have at least a few weapon variations. We've already seen that Link is vastly affected by the environment in BotW, so I really wouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.

Another thing I find interesting about this game is how the Monks refer to the enemy as "Ganon". The first thing I thought of was Pig Ganon, especially since we are also being teased with those twin peaks found in the original Zelda's artwork being transferred into the game. Could it also be possible that we're going to see a new incarnation of who we know as Ganondorf? I can't help but wonder what part of the timeline this takes place in. It strikes me as being more futuristic than other Zeldas, the land has obviously gone through some kind of horrible ordeal (ruins everywhere), so I highly doubt we're in the beginning of the timeline. Some have said that it may be sometime after Wind Waker due to the presence of the Koroks. However, it really doesn't look anything like Spirit Tracks, and Ganondorf is supposedly "dead" in that timeline. At the same time, the Koroks were a direct evolutionary response to the Great Flood, so having them in any other timeline wouldn't really make sense.
The Koroks where send out on a mission to help the Deku Tree connect the various Islands with each other by planting trees all over the world in order to subside the Great Sea during the Wind Waker. Perhaps their mission was accomplished if the world of Breath of the Wild takes place sometime after the Wind Waker (And Spirit Tracks). It would explain the rusted Master Sword and they probably have an explanation of why Ganon is supposedly revived as well and became "Calamity Ganon"...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild was magnificent, stunning, and bold, it gets you so immersed and in tuned in the game,surviving of the wilderness and helping Link fend of the enemies. Game of E3 no doubt!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He refers to it as "voice" and not "voices," and "character" but not "characters," so yeah...

I'm still betting we get three characters voiced at most. Disembodied voice, Zelda if she's not the voice, and Gannon assuming he's capable of it.

We've already talked to probably the most important NPC like twenty times and didn't get a peep. We know we're coming back to him because he gives rewards for spirt orbs.

D

Deleted member

The voice acting is a welcome addition glad Link is still silent though he dosen't need to be a chatty hero or anything. I wonder who the mysterious voice is maybe Zelda? The one who created the Shiekah Slate? Guess we'll see in time.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How come I didn't hear of this place before?! :surprised:

Anyway, I guess I'm just like everyone; my mind was BLOWN when I saw the game at E3.

At first, I was like "There's not gonna be any surprises, it's just gonna be Zelda with some Sun and Moon on the side."

Then I saw the footage and, well, I'm completely SHOCKED to see that Breath of the Wild will be a breath (-chuckles-) of fresh air that, in my opinion, the Zelda franchise didn't only need, but deserved.

What do I mean? Well, the Zelda franchise was simply getting too predictable and was too linear for my tastes. Where's the adventure when I basically have to follow a straight line?

Of course, I'm not saying the previous games are bad. In fact, they're really good. I just really enjoy seeing something that breaks the conventions and from what we've seem, Breath of the Wild did that and more!

Also, if I recall correctly, they've only shown a small part of the game (about 1%), so I'm honestly a little terrified about the other 99. This game is gonna be huge in any sense of the term.

Breath of the Wild is, to me, a must-buy. The final game that will keep the Wii U alive and relevant for just a few more months before the NX takes over.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Revealed during the Game Awards last night. Shows off a lot of more things about the game: towns, NPCs, airships, possible hinting at seasons, among other things

KatKit

Smash Lord
This is one of the greatest game trailers I have ever seen. It took my breath away, no pun intended. This is art in its purest form.

Anyway, I love The Legend of Zelda. Breath of the Wild is a day one purchase for me. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Okay, I've played for a bit and I must say...
this game should've been named "Legend of Zelda: Yawn of the Bored"...

It's boring. Incredibly slow and boring. The map is big just for the sake of being big. Final boss battle against Ragequitter Ganon is basically garbage and so is this version of Zelda it seems. SS Zelda still holds her place as the best incarnation of Zelda ever. I'm trading this thing for Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo Tetris once I'm done with it.

Also, for any Smash 5 speculation, there's no BotW versions of Sheik and Ganondorf so chances of the Zelda reps being updated to those just dissipated.

Just give us Skyward Sword HD, Aonuma.

Last edited:
Top Bottom