• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legalisation of hardcore drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Budget_Player
Yeah, because it's illegal to make it in places that aren't Afghanistan. It's like saying that buying pot/crack/coke supports the mexican drug cartels-of course it does, you can't get it legally so you have to support these underground, illegal organizations. If the government sold it, it would be supporting the government as opposed to the terrorists who are selling it now.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
my fault, I was replying to this:

I don't think ALL currently illegal drugs should be regulated and available for purchase, but the people who choose to use these drugs should not be labeled as criminals and locked up.
see people who choose to use "these drugs" are supporting terrorism, etc. by making it in house (lolwut) true it wouldn't support cartels and al qaeda, but it'd also not be illegal anymore so people using them wouldn't be labeled as criminals and locked up (anymore). ... yeah.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
If these drugs are made legal and regulated, they would probably be safer. Most dealers couldn't care less about the age of their customer, as long as they make a sale. If these drugs were legalized and regulated, it is safe to assume children wouldn't be permitted to purchase them. Also, there wouldn't be any worry about these drugs being laced. Due to the extremely addictive nature of some drugs, I don't think ALL currently illegal drugs should be regulated and available for purchase, but the people who choose to use these drugs should not be labeled as criminals and locked up.
If roofies are legal for personal use, you can bet they'll be used as a date **** drug. Many other drugs can send the user into a manic state, causing them to become dangerous to those around them. They can also force you to make bad decisions that could harm others, such as Driving While Intoxicated.

The only reason I could find that any of these drugs should be legalized is if there is solid, scientific proof that they serve medical purposes in a safer and more efficient way than any other alternative. And even in that case, they should only be used in controlled medical environments.

NNID
Budget_Player
If roofies are legal for personal use, you can bet they'll be used as a date **** drug. Many other drugs can send the user into a manic state, causing them to become dangerous to those around them. They can also force you to make bad decisions that could harm others, such as Driving While Intoxicated.
And therefore it should be illegal to:
-force these drugs upon others
-use them in conditions where judgement is life-threatening, such as driving.

Notice that this still doesn't break the social contract-by having these laws, you are infringing on someone's freedom to infringe on the freedom of others, a perfectly legitimate move. However, when you stop people from using them for personal recreational use, you are infringing on their freedom to do something that affects only them.

The only reason I could find that any of these drugs should be legalized is if there is solid, scientific proof that they serve medical purposes in a safer and more efficient way than any other alternative. And even in that case, they should only be used in controlled medical environments.
See above. Basically, you're restricting personal freedom with no good reason.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I'm just pointing something out, but making making drugs legal would make them a lot more noticeable, which could perhaps lead to more crackheads.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
And therefore it should be illegal to:
-force these drugs upon others
-use them in conditions where judgement is life-threatening, such as driving.

Notice that this still doesn't break the social contract-by having these laws, you are infringing on someone's freedom to infringe on the freedom of others, a perfectly legitimate move. However, when you stop people from using them for personal recreational use, you are infringing on their freedom to do something that affects only them.

See above. Basically, you're restricting personal freedom with no good reason.
The reason is that the use of the drugs effects their judgement, causing them to make bad decisions (i.e. DWI). And when I say DWI, I don't mean them using the drug while in a vehicle. I mean them using it anywhere and then the drug causing them to lack the judgment to decide not to drive while intoxicated. So it's not the user being irresponsible, it's actually the drug causing it, albeit indirectly.

Overload

Smash Lord
The reason is that the use of the drugs effects their judgement, causing them to make bad decisions (i.e. DWI). And when I say DWI, I don't mean them using the drug while in a vehicle. I mean them using it anywhere and then the drug causing them to lack the judgment to decide not to drive while intoxicated. So it's not the user being irresponsible, it's actually the drug causing it, albeit indirectly.
So they should not be able to do these drugs because of what they might do after taking the drug? That sounds a little paranoid. Regardless of the legal status of the drug, those who wish to use it will find a way to obtain it. There is no issue until the safety of others is at stake. The drug is not to blame, the person is.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So they should not be able to do these drugs because of what they might do after taking the drug? That sounds a little paranoid. There is no issue until the safety of others is at stake. The drug is not to blame, the person is.
I explained these points in the post above yours. If need be, I can further clarify.

Regardless of the legal status of the drug, those who wish to use it will find a way to obtain it.
It's harder to do when it's illegal. The fact that they could be thrown in jail for taking said drugs is a deterrent for many people. And also, keeping them illegal allows people to be punished for taking part in an action that puts others around them at risk.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
It's harder to do when it's illegal. The fact that they could be thrown in jail for taking said drugs is a deterrent for many people. And also, keeping them illegal allows people to be punished for taking part in an action that puts others around them at risk.
But remember, having drugs illegal is exactly what the drug lords want! They're happy at the moment, because keeping them illegal means that they can charge ludicrous prices for them, so they get rich! It's ironic isn't it....

Keeping drugs illegal won't help, it's just going to mean that people who use them are going to be marginalised, and can't get any help for their habits. It means that the drugs that they're taking are more unsafe than they would be legally. It finances criminal activity. It's the reason Mexico is in such trouble at the moment. The list goes on and on.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
The way to crack down on drug lords should be to step up law enforcement, not just legalize what's in their business. The drug lords in Mexico are getting rich because Mexico has a corrupt and ineffective police force. They'll just move on to another illegal business if hazardous drugs become legal.

Why don't we just legalize everything? Why aren't you suggesting we make fully automatic weapons legal? That'll stop those nasty dealers! And hey, if we make human trafficking legal, that'll put those businesses down also! Basically, the point I'm trying to get at is that making every illegal activity legal isn't the best way to put out an illegal business, especially when the root of the problem is the government and/or law enforcement.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Legal sex slavery, ftw.

j/k

>.>

so it seems as if people are under the impression that recreational drugs/drug use stops at the person's front door.

I hate to chime in with personal experience, but... it doesn't. Getting high becomes a part of your life (if you're addicted, which will happens to most users). It's not enough to just get high after a long day's work. Soon it becomes getting high before work. On lunch break. Doing lines in the bathroom -during- work. Before church. Before your kid's birthday party. The list goes on and on...

No, make no mistake. Most illegal drugs are illegal because their use does constitute a serious public health and safety issue. Part of the government's job is to look out for its citizens and their best interests. This is why there is the FDA, and the USDA for instance. Habitual abuse of opiates (heroin, cocaine, crack), stimulants (methamphetamines), and psychotropics (marijuana, LSD, ecstasy) can lead to serious health problems, and while under the influence of, can endanger the lives of those around the user, and the user's life itself.

Now the argument against this line of reasoning should be obvious. "What about alcohol?" Yeah... alcohol is deadly, it'll rot your liver, it makes you do dumb ****, while operating heavy machinery it's even more dangerous.

Well unfortunately Alcoholic Beverages have been so wide-spread in use going back literally eons that it can't be illegal. Remember we tried, and all it did was invent the Mob, until finally the underground was so huge the government had to take back prohibition. When it was legalized (again) what happened? Did the Mob suddenly dissipate? Heck no. They moved on to drug trade, gambling, racketeering, etc. So in this point, KG is correct. Make hard drugs legal, and drug lords will just move on to increasing illegal arms sales (they already deal in that anyway, btw, just not as much as drugs.)

Meanwhile, if it's legal, the population starts degrading. Instead of one in every 10 being a crack addict, now you have 1 in 6, or 1 in 4. DH is correct on this point.

"Personal Freedom" doesn't win in this situation. Now if you're talking about growing your own plants, harvesting them, refining them, etc... ok I'll give you that. You should have the right in an ideal world. But people should not expect the right to buy black tar heroin from Afghanistan.

About the price, there's no reason why heroin should be cheap. If you wanna do that ****, then you should be charged tons of money for it. It should be difficult to attain, and punished harshly if you're caught. We don't need dope heads walking the streets, flipping my burgers, handling my tax return, cleaning my teeth, explaining my phone bill, directing traffic, teaching my kid math... yeah, no. Sober, please. Sober and hateful of the world, fine, but sober nonetheless.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
But the recently released results of a report commissioned by the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, suggest otherwise.
Not very convincing...

The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.
not surprising considering:

At the recommendation of a national commission charged with addressing Portugal's drug problem, jail time was replaced with the offer of therapy
besides...

In addition, the number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.
methadone's no walk in the park.

I see what you're getting at, but to be realistic there's just no way to know if our experience would be the same. They feared it'd become a drugie vacation spot. But honestly, lets take California, they have this one county where it's pot all over the place, yet there aren't droves of potheads moving there...

My main complaint about legalization though, isn't the one thing you pointed out, it's the harm that drugs do to people, and though an argument can be made for legalizing based on the premise that it being illegal drives people "underground" either way the drugs are still being taken. It'd be better to keep it illegal, so that the consequences are more than just going to a councilor... doing drugs should be feared on many levels, as a health risk, a risk of freedom (from incarceration) and from wealth (fines).

rvkevin

Smash Lord
It'd be better to keep it illegal, so that the consequences are more than just going to a councilor... doing drugs should be feared on many levels, as a health risk, a risk of freedom (from incarceration) and from wealth (fines).
I don't follow. Our efforts should be used to try to eliminate the problem, not to punish severely those who perpetuate it. If it is the case that decriminalization decreases drug use as well as allowing (helping) more users to seek treatment, then that is the best course of action. I don't know why you seek vengeance against these users. Justice in this case does not require incarceration. If they have done independent crimes on account of their use, then they should be incarcerated based on those actions, but why should there be the added fears of incarceration and fines for drug use alone? If fear is ineffective, we should look for better alternatives.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I don't follow. Our efforts should be used to try to eliminate the problem, not to punish severely those who perpetuate it.
I've shown that making the drugs legal isn't the best way to tackle this problem. And since when should we not punish people for breaking the law?

If it is the case that decriminalization decreases drug use as well as allowing (helping) more users to seek treatment, then that is the best course of action. I don't know why you seek vengeance against these users.
While I agree with the sentiment here, there's no proof that decriminalization would decrease drug use.

Justice in this case does not require incarceration. If they have done independent crimes on account of their use, then they should be incarcerated based on those actions, but why should there be the added fears of incarceration and fines for drug use alone?
Because they're putting the public at risk when they use those drugs.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
rvkevin makes a good point, but in this case I'd say the ineffectiveness of incarceration is likened to the overall ineffectiveness of incarceration in general. if fear of prison time and fines aren't an effective measure against drug abuse, then the only other way to go without legalizing it is to come up with some other punishment. and from this we can argue whether or not punishment of -any- kind is something to be feared, and if it's enough to prevent drug abuse. going by portugal's statistics, one can say that legalization has been a success. I just feel as if the survey is slanted... the deck stacked so to speak. by making drugs legal and the "punishment" rehab, then saying that the drug population is mostly in rehab now, so its a success, see? what ELSE would it be, right?

I do see the importance of saving money in this instance, and it's true that incarceration is expensive, and perhaps more so than rehab.

The difficulty in America is that drugs are such a huge part of life, that you will find many people abusing the system. I don't sense this mentality in other parts of the world. It seems to me that exploitation of others is somehow an American trait... obviously not entirely, just strongly more so. If you asked a 20-something pot head "so if you got caught and went to jail for 5 years, would you quit?" they are more likely to say 'yes' vs "if you got caught and were sent to rehab" where I'd expect the answer to be 'no.'

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The way to crack down on drug lords should be to step up law enforcement, not just legalize what's in their business. The drug lords in Mexico are getting rich because Mexico has a corrupt and ineffective police force. They'll just move on to another illegal business if hazardous drugs become legal.
Nah, because they make they're money because they're illegal. The reason Mexico is a country with such a problem, is because drugs are illegal.

Why don't we just legalize everything? Why aren't you suggesting we make fully automatic weapons legal? That'll stop those nasty dealers! And hey, if we make human trafficking legal, that'll put those businesses down also!
Because that would be stupid. Legalising drugs actually makes sense. It stops the Drug wars, it stops the gangland wars, it crushes criminal networks, it makes drug use a whole lot safer, it allows the drug addicts to seek help, it allows the government to regulate the prices and the selling of it all. In short, many of the problems created by drugs are created because they're illegal.

Fully automatic weapons are different, they kill people, and that's all they're good at doing. The problems related to automatic weapons are problems related to the presence of automatic weapons, not because automatic weapons are illegal. Human trafficking is just illegal, for the same reason illegal immigration is illegal - Border security, and because it's immoral in a number of ways.

Basically, the point I'm trying to get at is that making every illegal activity legal isn't the best way to put out an illegal business, especially when the root of the problem is the government and/or law enforcement.
Not really, the root of the problem is actually that there is a significant demand for these substances, and it won't go away. Trying to stamp it out doesn't really work, we've tried that and it's still here.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Nah, because they make they're money because they're illegal. The reason Mexico is a country with such a problem, is because drugs are illegal.

Not really, the root of the problem is actually that there is a significant demand for these substances, and it won't go away. Trying to stamp it out doesn't really work, we've tried that and it's still here.
You're brushing off my points with no evidence. Want evidence the Mexican police force is corrupt and inefficient? Search "Mexico police force corruption" on google. Ever wonder why the drug trade is much less worse in america than in Mexico? Our police force is much more organized, efficient, and regulated. If drug lords make money just because drugs are illegal, why doesn't the US have problems that are just as bad?

Because that would be stupid. Legalising drugs actually makes sense. It stops the Drug wars, it stops the gangland wars, it crushes criminal networks, it makes drug use a whole lot safer, it allows the drug addicts to seek help, it allows the government to regulate the prices and the selling of it all. In short, many of the problems created by drugs are created because they're illegal.

Fully automatic weapons are different, they kill people, and that's all they're good at doing. The problems related to automatic weapons are problems related to the presence of automatic weapons, not because automatic weapons are illegal. Human trafficking is just illegal, for the same reason illegal immigration is illegal - Border security, and because it's immoral in a number of ways.
There's a reason drugs are illegal you know. They put others at risk, as I've stated many times with nobody refuting it. Legalizing drugs stops the drug wars but causes lots of drug related crime, whereas improving law enforcement stops the drug wars for the most part and also reduces drug related crime. Drugs become slightly safer if legal but are still not by any stretch of the imagination safe for the user or those around them. I'm sorry people can't get help, but they made a stupid and illegal decision and I'm not going to coddle them for it.

Yeah, human trafficking is immoral. And so is taking these drugs. You're knowingly putting yourself in a state that can cause you to make improper decisions and harm people around you.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
You're brushing off my points with no evidence. Want evidence the Mexican police force is corrupt and inefficient? Search "Mexico police force corruption" on google. Ever wonder why the drug trade is much less worse in america than in Mexico? Our police force is much more organized, efficient, and regulated. If drug lords make money just because drugs are illegal, why doesn't the US have problems that are just as bad?
The reason Mexico is in such strife, is because drugs are illegal in the US. That's how all the money comes in to the drug rings.

How would the drug lords make money if drugs were legal? The drugs would dramatically drop in price. The reason the drugs are expensive is because they're illegal. That's the reason the drug lords can have such high profit margins.

If drugs were legalised, sure they'd find some other method, but I'm sure it wouldn't anywhere near as effective.

There's a reason drugs are illegal you know. They put others at risk, as I've stated many times with nobody refuting it. Legalizing drugs stops the drug wars but causes lots of drug related crime, whereas improving law enforcement stops the drug wars for the most part and also reduces drug related crime. Drugs become slightly safer if legal but are still not by any stretch of the imagination safe for the user or those around them. I'm sorry people can't get help, but they made a stupid and illegal decision and I'm not going to coddle them for it.
Drugs don't become safe, they become safer when legalised. The government can regulate them and ensure that they are pure, (as opposed to laced with concrete powder or something crazy like that) and help those that have picked up habits. Intravenous drugs use can become much safer, with clean needles as opposed to ones which are tainted with AIDS and Hepatitis B.

And then drug related crime is actually quite an issue because of the fact that drugs are expensive and illegal, especially in the realm of armed robbery.

Here's what the Australian Institute of Criminology has to say on the matter:

Why do armed robbers offend?
The motivation to offend for the majority of armed robbers, the crime is primarily about funding a particular lifestyle, particularly one fuelled by illicit drugs. For a small group of entrenched armed robbery offenders, the motivation to commit armed robbery appears to be more about earning a regular (illicit) income; a means to pay bills and support a family (that is, more like a regular job). Table 1 summarises a selection of published data on this issue. In particular, it shows that between about one-fifth and one-third of offenders in the selected studies cite ‘money for drugs’ as a prime motivating factor for committing armed robbery.
Between 1/5 and 1/3 armed robbery offenders do it for money to pay for drugs.

While the majority of armed robbers cite getting money for drugs as a key motivating factor for their crimes, some armed robbers report that they do not engage in regular drug taking, particularly those engaged in high-risk armed robberies.
Basically, there are 3 types of armed robbery offenders. High-end professionals that attack high risk targets like banks, and plan it out properly, and then there are guys who attack low risk targets like the local convenience store who do it in desperation, often without planning. Then there are the guys in the middle. The low-end and the guys in the middle generally do it to pay for drugs.

The reason they need to do resort to armed robbery to pay for drugs is because drugs are very expensive, largely because they're illegal. So, here is an instance where drug-related crime would decrease dramatically if drug use was made legal.

Yeah, human trafficking is immoral. And so is taking these drugs. You're knowingly putting yourself in a state that can cause you to make improper decisions and harm people around you.
Yeah, it's stupid but there are plenty of stupid things that people do.

If you want access to the AIC document about armed robbery, here it is: http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/C/7/2/%7BC726496E-BD8C-4664-8FA8-09C9ADE8A613%7Dtandi328.pdf

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
The reason Mexico is in such strife, is because drugs are illegal in the US. That's how all the money comes in to the drug rings.

How would the drug lords make money if drugs were legal? The drugs would dramatically drop in price. The reason the drugs are expensive is because they're illegal. That's the reason the drug lords can have such high profit margins.

If drugs were legalised, sure they'd find some other method, but I'm sure it wouldn't anywhere near as effective.
It's really as simple as switching to another primary business, such as firearms dealing. It's pretty easy in Mexico due to their police force's corruption and inefficiency. Which is exactly what I'm trying to say. You're putting out one illegal business and in turn making another one flare up. It's not helping society in general. Improving Mexico's law enforcement cracks down on both businesses.

Drugs don't become safe, they become safer when legalised. The government can regulate them and ensure that they are pure, (as opposed to laced with concrete powder or something crazy like that) and help those that have picked up habits. Intravenous drugs use can become much safer, with clean needles as opposed to ones which are tainted with AIDS and Hepatitis B.
My point is that yes, they are safer and more pure when legalized, but they are still a danger to those around the user.

And then drug related crime is actually quite an issue because of the fact that drugs are expensive and illegal, especially in the realm of armed robbery.

Here's what the Australian Institute of Criminology has to say on the matter:

Between 1/5 and 1/3 armed robbery offenders do it for money to pay for drugs.

Basically, there are 3 types of armed robbery offenders. High-end professionals that attack high risk targets like banks, and plan it out properly, and then there are guys who attack low risk targets like the local convenience store who do it in desperation, often without planning. Then there are the guys in the middle. The low-end and the guys in the middle generally do it to pay for drugs.

The reason they need to do resort to armed robbery to pay for drugs is because drugs are very expensive, largely because they're illegal. So, here is an instance where drug-related crime would decrease dramatically if drug use was made legal.
Regardless of how expensive they are, these crimes will still happen. People addicted to alcohol commit these crimes as well, often because they're homeless and have no real income. Also in the crack outburst in the 1980s, there were a lot of these sorts of crimes, and crack was a pretty cheap drug. And this is where law enforcement should step in. These people shouldn't be able to get illegal drugs in the first place. Making it legal would only cause more people to but them and get addicted, often with no income to support their habit, and commit crimes to get money. Also it will most likely increase DWI's and other such actions.

Yeah, it's stupid but there are plenty of stupid things that people do.

If you want access to the AIC document about armed robbery, here it is: http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/C/7/2/%7BC726496E-BD8C-4664-8FA8-09C9ADE8A613%7Dtandi328.pdf
It's a stupid action that puts people other than the user at risk. And that's why it's illegal.

EDIT: Read the first page of the document you provided, and found some interesting quotes:

"Falls in heroin availability since early 2001 which coincide with similar falls in the incidence of armed robbery indicate the significance of this pattern for the specific crime of armed robbery."

"Much of what is outlined in this paper, particularly the discussion around offender decision making processes, is drawn from material that is now 10 or more years old. This suggests that new research is needed in this area, especially in view of advancements in security technology and possible changes in the armed robber offender profile."

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well first, weed is pretty much no argument. Its certainly better off legal. Less people will die every year if marijuana is made legal, less people will be incarcerated, we will save a ton of money by getting rid of a great degree of our police state and we would cut down on the prison industrial complex as well. As for marijuana and driving, well it does not decrease your inhibitions like alcohol, in fact it makes you a little more wary (people tend to driver slower and more cautiously on marijuana than sober). Now that said you are still intoxicated, you are mostly compensating for a dulled processing speed for unfamiliar information. Really, I just can't see anything but a good ending here.

Now as for hallucinogens, I think that there are a lot of benefits to taking them on occasion, and as such people should be allowed legal access to them, albeit limited access. The problem with these drugs isn't so much a physical addiction, as it can overstimulate people and create such a strong association with pleasure that it is essentially a mental addiction. MDMA btw should have similar restrictions, there is a lot of promising clinical research, but it is something that we need to make sure people only take for therapy because it is too potent for any kind of recreational use. I'm pretty confident on my stance here, though I have to say that the illegal market for hallucinogens is much safer than other parts of the illegal drug market, though by no means as safe as observation and distribution by licensed establishments and therapists.

As for opiate derivatives, I think that current regulation is good, but we do need to start cracking down on unnecessary prescription, and we need to stop prescribing them for chronic pain and find other solutions (marijuana actually works great for chronic pain due to nerve damage, and it gets rid of that itchy feeling that many burn victims complain of, not sure about chronic back pain and similar conditions though relating more to musculoskeletal damage, it still has analgesic effects, but it may not be potent enough).

Coca should be legal, cocaine should have a decriminalized status, banning the sale of crack cocaine is just about the only thing I can get behind, but allowing coca and cocaine should help prevent too much violence due to crack because crack addicts could conceivably make their own, or put off withdrawal with either substance as well. Meth, well, I don't really know what to do about that, though making sure its pure is an important safety concern for the users (so they can accurately measure potency for safe doses, and to make sure no other toxic chemicals are in it), it can still lead to violent outbursts much like alcohol and cocaine(though they can make people more productive just like cocaine and coca), I still do feel that use would drop with legalization and education though, and that makes me lean more towards a legal status. Really, all of this is just jabbering about stimulants. So, very strong stimulants I am hesitant on, strongish stimulants (more dose dependent) should certainly not be illegal though, and weak stimulants like the unprocessed coca leaves or caffeine, should be perfectly legal.

I think that in all cases though, persecuting and prosecuting the end user is just trying to sweep the problem under the rug and antagonize it at the same time. Medical/professional treatment is the ONLY option for people who need to kick their drug habits (Ibogaine shows a lot of promise for treatment of a multitude of totally unrelated drug addictions), and putting them into a prison will almost always make their case even worse than it was before. I also think that there is such a thing as safe drug use (though its, and going after that is really the LAST thing we want to do if we want to help drug users.

I would also like to point out that every drug has been legal at some point in history, and when they were legal there was a lot less killing over them (though we could get pretty violent over international trade in general back in the days and a lack of knowledge about those drugs certainly was harmful in most cases, alcohol and cocaine make a good example). Thing's are a little more dangerous in these times though, and there is certainly a lot more harm an intoxicated person can do in this day and age, but if you educate people, teach them to be careful of others when they are intoxicated, rather than trying to discourage something that is going to happen, you will have a much more positive effect on society than if you ban the drug. And as I said before, for addiction, there is medical and professional treatment, we need to get it more out there, but we also need to stop labeling just about every drug user as an addict, or every addict as a danger to society.

To end this little tirade, I would like to say that I don't believe there is any empirical evidence to indicate that legalizing any drug would lead to an increase in its use ESPECIALLY if we can focus those drug war dollars to teaching people about all of the effects of the different drugs they are likely to come across, both the good and the bad. Make them understand the truths behind drugs, and I believe that most people who even choose to use drugs, will do so in a safe way so as to minimize their self harm and harm to others. I also think that in order to prevent intoxicated driving, the age to use a vehicle without a licensed driver present should be the same age at which one can use any drug that is legal. We need to get people who use drugs to plan their driving around their drug use, rather than their obtaining the drugs.

P.S. Alcohol is probably one of the most dangerous drugs in existence to those not using it (the king drug of stupid and dangerous ideas), because it makes you careless, and it makes you less able to control your more primal urges (violence, sex, etc).

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
It's really as simple as switching to another primary business, such as firearms dealing. It's pretty easy in Mexico due to their police force's corruption and inefficiency. Which is exactly what I'm trying to say. You're putting out one illegal business and in turn making another one flare up. It's not helping society in general. Improving Mexico's law enforcement cracks down on both businesses.
Sure, improving law enforcement would lower rates of drug use. But legalising drugs would pretty much ruin their source of income. Guns aren't addictive, you don't consume them and then want more. Drugs are though, and there's probably more demand for them.

My point is that yes, they are safer and more pure when legalized, but they are still a danger to those around the user.
So is Tobacco and Alcohol.

Regardless of how expensive they are, these crimes will still happen. People addicted to alcohol commit these crimes as well, often because they're homeless and have no real income. Also in the crack outburst in the 1980s, there were a lot of these sorts of crimes, and crack was a pretty cheap drug. And this is where law enforcement should step in. These people shouldn't be able to get illegal drugs in the first place. Making it legal would only cause more people to but them and get addicted, often with no income to support their habit, and commit crimes to get money. Also it will most likely increase DWI's and other such actions.
If drugs were legalised, then they'd be a lot cheaper, people wouldn't need to commit such crimes to pay for their drug habits. They'd probably be able to pay for it out of their wage instead of having to resort to holding up gas stations. Sure this happens with legal drugs, but I really doubt it'd be as prevalent as with illegal drugs.

It's a stupid action that puts people other than the user at risk. And that's why it's illegal.
Then why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal?

"Falls in heroin availability since early 2001 which coincide with similar falls in the incidence of armed robbery indicate the significance of this pattern for the specific crime of armed robbery."
That's true, but all it proves is that having a heroin habit requires lots of money, often more than they can afford, so they resort to armed robbery. If heroin were cheaper, then it wouldn't be necessary to do such things to pay for the habit.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well first, weed is pretty much no argument. Its certainly better off legal. Less people will die every year if marijuana is made legal, less people will be incarcerated, we will save a ton of money by getting rid of a great degree of our police state and we would cut down on the prison industrial complex as well. As for marijuana and driving, well it does not decrease your inhibitions like alcohol, in fact it makes you a little more wary (people tend to driver slower and more cautiously on marijuana than sober). Now that said you are still intoxicated, you are mostly compensating for a dulled processing speed for unfamiliar information. Really, I just can't see anything but a good ending here.
If weed helps you drive carefully, why are there so many DWI deaths due to weed every year in the United States?

If you want a source confirming that marijuana causes DWI accidents here's one.

Now as for hallucinogens, I think that there are a lot of benefits to taking them on occasion, and as such people should be allowed legal access to them, albeit limited access. The problem with these drugs isn't so much a physical addiction, as it can overstimulate people and create such a strong association with pleasure that it is essentially a mental addiction. MDMA btw should have similar restrictions, there is a lot of promising clinical research, but it is something that we need to make sure people only take for therapy because it is too potent for any kind of recreational use. I'm pretty confident on my stance here, though I have to say that the illegal market for hallucinogens is much safer than other parts of the illegal drug market, though by no means as safe as observation and distribution by licensed establishments and therapists.
Hallucinogens may have medical purposes, but should not available for recreational use. Obviously you could understand how they can be a problem when driving.

Coca should be legal, cocaine should have a decriminalized status, banning the sale of crack cocaine is just about the only thing I can get behind, but allowing coca and cocaine should help prevent too much violence due to crack because crack addicts could conceivably make their own, or put off withdrawal with either substance as well. Meth, well, I don't really know what to do about that, though making sure its pure is an important safety concern for the users (so they can accurately measure potency for safe doses, and to make sure no other toxic chemicals are in it), it can still lead to violent outbursts much like alcohol and cocaine(though they can make people more productive just like cocaine and coca), I still do feel that use would drop with legalization and education though, and that makes me lean more towards a legal status. Really, all of this is just jabbering about stimulants. So, very strong stimulants I am hesitant on, strongish stimulants (more dose dependent) should certainly not be illegal though, and weak stimulants like the unprocessed coca leaves or caffeine, should be perfectly legal.
Why should cocaine be decriminalized but crack illegal? Because crack is cheaper?

I think that in all cases though, persecuting and prosecuting the end user is just trying to sweep the problem under the rug and antagonize it at the same time. Medical/professional treatment is the ONLY option for people who need to kick their drug habits (Ibogaine shows a lot of promise for treatment of a multitude of totally unrelated drug addictions), and putting them into a prison will almost always make their case even worse than it was before. I also think that there is such a thing as safe drug use (though its, and going after that is really the LAST thing we want to do if we want to help drug users.
They should be put in jail but also put through rehab to help get through their problem. But they're putting the public at risk, so they deserve the punishment. Why should we coddle people who do stupid, dangerous activities that put innocent people at risk? Everyone always says "oh, putting them in jail would be so mean; why don't we just help them?". They made the conscious decision to put innocent people at risk, so they deserve punishment. I do agree they should be forced to go to rehab, but punishment should happen as well.

I would also like to point out that every drug has been legal at some point in history, and when they were legal there was a lot less killing over them (though we could get pretty violent over international trade in general back in the days and a lack of knowledge about those drugs certainly was harmful in most cases, alcohol and cocaine make a good example).
There's almost no evidence that drug killing was less prevalent because statistics were not collected in ancient times. And yeah, you couldn't DWI back then. Heh, chariot riding under the influence, lol. :laugh:

To end this little tirade, I would like to say that I don't believe there is any empirical evidence to indicate that legalizing any drug would lead to an increase in its use ESPECIALLY if we can focus those drug war dollars to teaching people about all of the effects of the different drugs they are likely to come across, both the good and the bad. Make them understand the truths behind drugs, and I believe that most people who even choose to use drugs, will do so in a safe way so as to minimize their self harm and harm to others. I also think that in order to prevent intoxicated driving, the age to use a vehicle without a licensed driver present should be the same age at which one can use any drug that is legal. We need to get people who use drugs to plan their driving around their drug use, rather than their obtaining the drugs.
Most people already know about the dangers of drugs and use them anyway.

P.S. Alcohol is probably one of the most dangerous drugs in existence to those not using it (the king drug of stupid and dangerous ideas), because it makes you careless, and it makes you less able to control your more primal urges (violence, sex, etc).
Agreed.

Sure, improving law enforcement would lower rates of drug use. But legalising drugs would pretty much ruin their source of income. Guns aren't addictive, you don't consume them and then want more. Drugs are though, and there's probably more demand for them.
The arms trade is huge; if you're going to make the bold claim that drug lords can't make a lot of money off of arms dealing, you'd better back it up with a source.

Law enforcement would crack down on drug use (as you've admitted) and the income of drug lords, while catching a lot of them and preventing them from switching to other businesses.

So is Tobacco and Alcohol.
True, and they should be illegal.

If drugs were legalised, then they'd be a lot cheaper, people wouldn't need to commit such crimes to pay for their drug habits. They'd probably be able to pay for it out of their wage instead of having to resort to holding up gas stations. Sure this happens with legal drugs, but I really doubt it'd be as prevalent as with illegal drugs.
People who commit crimes for drug money are generally people who have little or no consistent income, and can't afford to have an addiction anyway. As I've already pointed out, crack was a cheap drug yet it was the cause of massive amounts of crime in the 80's.

Then why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal?
They shouldn't be, but if I had to take a guess, it's that they're so ingrained in our everyday lives that there would be an angry outburst by the public if they were banned. Want evidence? Look up the prohibition amendment in the United States.

That's true, but all it proves is that having a heroin habit requires lots of money, often more than they can afford, so they resort to armed robbery. If heroin were cheaper, then it wouldn't be necessary to do such things to pay for the habit.
No, it proves that when less people have access to heroin, less crimes get committed. Therefore, it follows that when more people can access heroin (i.e. if it's legal), crime will increase.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The arms trade is huge; if you're going to make the bold claim that drug lords can't make a lot of money off of arms dealing, you'd better back it up with a source.
I just don't believe that illegal firearms trade would be as large as the illegal drugs trade.

Law enforcement would crack down on drug use (as you've admitted) and the income of drug lords, while catching a lot of them and preventing them from switching to other businesses.
Actually, I've done some research and found that ironically, law enforcement doesn't really help all that much.

Strenuous law enforcement efforts have been ineffective in reducing the supply of drugs

Turning off the supply of illicit drugs is the superficial answer to the drug-crime problem just as it is the superficial means of eliminating the drug problem as a whole. The sad fact is that virtually every police commissioner in Australia has acknowledged that major police efforts have been ineffective in reducing the supply of drugs.

This is shown by:

(a) rising levels of purity of drugs, and particularly heroin;

(b) decreasing prices of illicit drugs;

(c) the rapid spread of new designer drugs;

(b) increased amounts of drugs

The Commissioner of the Australian Federal Policy, Mr Mick Palmer, said of Australia’s biggest seizure 400 kg of heroin off Port Macquarie in NSW in October 1998 that "the indications are we haven't made much dent on the market." Police and Customs estimate that only about 10% of illicit drugs imported into Australia are detected. More careful South Australian research strongly suggests that, in general, the interdiction rate is much lower. For example, in 1995-96 the figure was only about 4.5%. This accords with earlier research based on less certain estimates of the heroin using populations that the seizure rate was "almost certainly" much closer to an estimated lower bound of 3.7% than the upper bound of 17.2%.

The remorseless rise in world illicit drug production as estimated by United States, British and United Nations authorities is another clear indication that efforts to cut off supply at source are ineffective.

Policing within Australia has shown itself to be just as ineffective as policing of the customs barrier in stemming the flow of drugs. Research in Western Sydney published in 1995 showed that seizure of heroin either across Australia or within New South Wales had no detectable impact on "the price, purity or perceived availability of heroin at street-level in Cabramatta". Similarly, the same study found no detectable relationship between the rate of arrest for heroin use/possession and the price of heroin.

More recently, under the name of Operation Puccini, the NSW Police carried New York style zero tolerance policing in Cabramatta. While dealers had been driven from the notorious locations in Cabramatta's business area so that the situation there improved, the police officer in charge stated that the activity had had "little effect on the core problem - the number of heroin users". What happened was that dealers moved "into the suburbs, making it harder for police to detect and apprehend them." Moreover the price tag of this police operation has been very high: 45 additional police had to be stationed in the area and video cameras installed.

Displacement has been the common result of costly intensive policing of drug laws. Sydney’s Daily Telegraph, in its lurid prose, has likened the drug trade to the many headed Hydra who, losing one, quickly grows others:

"Cabramatta is losing its ugly reputation as the epicentre of the heroin trade. But as one victory is claimed, the battle moves. Now, in the meaner streets of Marrickville, syringes lie in filthy heaps as dealers and addicts make their cheap transactions."

In Melbourne a police crack down in the central business district displaced drug trading to Swan Street, Richmond and elsewhere. The image of the squeezed balloon is apt. Pressure here, expands it there. A crack down in dealing can lead to a change in the mix of criminal activity such as more property crime or more prostitution.
In the words of the Families and Friends for Drug Law Reform. So, basically, more cops don't help. It's funny though, but it seems like the softer approach of harm minimisation works better than piling on the police. The same document continues to say:

Harm reduction strategies and crime
Those who strongly endorse a continuation and even intensification of a costly law enforcement largely acknowledge the current ineffectiveness of law enforcement but insist that this is because the introduction of some harm reduction strategies since 1985 has hampered that effort.

This objection is not credible for any of the factors already mentioned that influence supply because they are factors that apply in various countries and whether harm reduction strategies are put in place. Where, if at all, the objection may have some validity is in deterrence of users. To be effective, services like dissemination of advice on "safe" drug use, needle exchanges, excluding police from attendance at overdoses and introduction of safe injecting rooms require free contact with the drug using population. This in turn implies some restraint on the part of police in enforcement. Is it correct that such measures lead to more crime? The strong indications are that they do not and that in fact they reduce the level of crime.

Reduction of crime among addicted drug users resulting from harm reduction strategies

Drug related crime committed by users is almost entirely committed by those described as dependent drug users: those who have become addicted. The many times larger population of so-called "recreational users" are not involved in crime to support their use. If the drugs are not available they do not use them; they do not take the extraordinary steps that dependent users do to seek out and pay for their drugs.

These extraordinary steps – the property crime, drug dealing and prostitution – are a measure of the desperation of addicted users. It is obvious that the more that addicted users can be brought into treatment the less they will be involved in these criminal activities to support their habit.

Encouragement to enter treatment is one of the principal objectives of harm reduction measures. (The others being health of the user and limiting the spread of life threatening infectious diseases within the community at large.) Users are brought into contact with health professionals, educationalists, counselors, and assistance is provided to detox. Harm reduction measures even have a community benefit from their effect on dependent users who do not decide to enter treatments. Their generally chaotic life style is improved and as a result they tend to stabilise and reduce their drug intake.

It is important to recognise that any treatment interventions that reduce reliance by dependent users on the illicit drug market have direct community benefits in reducing crime. Thus treatments have significant community benefits even if they lead only to a temporary cessation of use or even just a reduction. The United States study on cocaine described it this way:

"Even though the debate on the effectiveness of treatment focuses on treatment’s ability to get people to stay off drugs after they leave a treatment program, one-fifth of treatment programs’ overall effectiveness is due to the suppression of cocaine use while people are in treatment. Ignoring this effect in analysis of treatment program effectiveness would underestimate program benefits."

At worst harm reduction measures lead to no increased recourse to illicit drugs (and thus crime) by dependent users and, more likely, to a reduction of reliance on the illicit drug market. Survey’s have, for example, shown that as well as having irrefutable health benefits needle exchanges have not led to an increase in recourse to illicit drug use and crime.

Indeed some harm reduction strategies have led to significant reductions in illicit drug use. This clearly applies to methadone maintenance and, it is expected, will apply to newer drug substitution therapies such as buprenorphine and naltrexone. Spectacular reductions in crime have been documented from a maintenance therapy that was vetoed by the Prime Minister in 1997 namely the medical prescription of heroin. A trial involving 1,148 severely dependent users in Switzerland produced the following reductions in crime among those on it:

"Income from illegal and semi-legal activities decreased dramatically: 10% as opposed to 59% originally.
Both the number of offenders and the number of criminal offences decreased by about 60% during the first six months of treatment (according to information obtained directly from the patients and from police records).
Court convictions also decreased significantly (according to the central criminal register)."
Dr Martin Killias of the Swiss Institute of Police Science and Criminology has since stated on Australian television that the reduction in crime was between 80-90%. He has added that "I know of no other crime prevention program with such a big reduction in theft and other serious crimes".** The reduction of crime has even been grudgingly acknowledged by General Barry McCaffrey, the director of the U.S. Office of National Drug Control and ideological opponent of heroin maintenance.

Similar albeit less spectacular reductions in crime have been measured following the introduction of safe injecting rooms in Frankfurt:

• Cases of street robbery declined from 1,800 in 1991 to 1,300-1,400 in 1994;

• Cases of car break-ins declined from 40,000 in 1987 to 23,000 in 1994;

• Cases of house break-ins declined from 5,000-6,000 in 1990 to 4,000 5,000 in 1994;

• Cases of heroin trafficking declined from 1,400 in 1992 to 500 in 1994; and

• Legal proceedings involving drug users dropped 20 percent from 1995 to 1996.
So, basically getting the addicts into treatment lowers crime rates. I think if we legalise these drugs we'd be able to get more of the addicts into treatment, and reduce the crime rates.

People who commit crimes for drug money are generally people who have little or no consistent income, and can't afford to have an addiction anyway. As I've already pointed out, crack was a cheap drug yet it was the cause of massive amounts of crime in the 80's.
Okay... I'm not so sure on this. I found a graph depicting crime rates in the USA and Canada from the 1980s to 2000. It seems that crime peaked in the 1990s as opposed to the 80s.

They shouldn't be, but if I had to take a guess, it's that they're so ingrained in our everyday lives that there would be an angry outburst by the public if they were banned. Want evidence? Look up the prohibition amendment in the United States.
Funny you talk about prohibition. See, look violent crime increases when you make drugs illegal. I think this is the homicide rate in the USA, during prohibition. Prohibition ends in 1933 and from then on, there is a massive drop in the murder rates.

No, it proves that when less people have access to heroin, less crimes get committed. Therefore, it follows that when more people can access heroin (i.e. if it's legal), crime will increase.
Yeah, when heroin is illegal. When the addicts can get treatment and help, crime rates decrease, it's odd isn't it. Legalising the drugs would help the addicts receive the treatment they need.

Sources:

http://www.ffdlr.org.au/resources/docs/Crime%20and%20Illicit%20drugs.htm

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00492/Crime_Rate.htm

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid

manhunter098

Smash Lord
If weed helps you drive carefully, why are there so many DWI deaths due to weed every year in the United States?

If you want a source confirming that marijuana causes DWI accidents here's one.
I'm not saying it makes you a better driver. I am saying that it makes you driver slower and more cautiously. The impairment is not nearly as bad as alcohol with even extremely high doses of marijuana. You are more likely to get into an accident, but you are less likely than if you are talking on a cell phone, or drinking, or too focused on a passenger, or texting, or checking your GPS, or any of a multitude of distractions we experience as drivers in a modern era (I really hope we get to the point where cars drive themselves soon).

Also, THC metabolites (the actual THC is gone in less than a couple hours) stays in your system even when you are not intoxicated. How many of those in the statistic were actually high when they were driving? Well, drug tests can't determine that, only subjective testing so far can discern if one is under the influence of marijuana currently. And how many of them may have been drinking too in addition to smoking marijuana when they got into that crash? I even believe that page mention that typically the people with THC in their system has other drugs in them as well, most notably alcohol.

Ok, so I did a little looking, and while Ill certainly say the compilation is likely from a biased source (Erowid), but that doesn't necessarily affect the accuracy the the information or its sources. This is very nice little little compilation of marijuana and alcohol related driving statistics and studies.

Hallucinogens may have medical purposes, but should not available for recreational use. Obviously you could understand how they can be a problem when driving.
Good, so we should give people access to them, but make sure that to get them, they can't be driving. Sounds like observation with a trained clinician for hallucenogenic experiences fits the need perfectly and would serve to severely shrink the black market in this area. Really though as long as you aren't driving though hallucinogens are pretty safe. (really are we going to ban every drug just because people have access to cars?)

Why should cocaine be decriminalized but crack illegal? Because crack is cheaper?
Because crack is more harmful than cocaine? Its more potent, and the chances of being overwhelmed by the sensation and becoming hooked is greater than with cocaine. Coca leaves themselves are no worse for you than chewing tobacco (and probably less cancerous). And while cocaine is a powerful stimulant, its route of ingestion and lower potency makes it much safer than crack.

They should be put in jail but also put through rehab to help get through their problem. But they're putting the public at risk, so they deserve the punishment. Why should we coddle people who do stupid, dangerous activities that put innocent people at risk? Everyone always says "oh, putting them in jail would be so mean; why don't we just help them?". They made the conscious decision to put innocent people at risk, so they deserve punishment. I do agree they should be forced to go to rehab, but punishment should happen as well.
Facilities for treatment maybe. Jail no. Jail will put them into contact with more unsavory characters. The last place you want drug users making friends is with the drug dealers and gangs in prisons. If you could incarcerate them into a system where they are among like minded individuals (say other people who need to kick their drug habit only) then you might get some progress. But throwing drug users into the prison system we have now really only makes the drug problems of the people entering it even worse.

Most people already know about the dangers of drugs and use them anyway.
A good point, in fact its social conditions that tend to drive people to drugs in the first place, poverty is one for certain. Its not the drugs themselves though that lead to the problems relating to them, its the social circles they are used in that will either cause problems related to those drugs or keep them off the streets and safely at home when they choose to become intoxicated.

Also, would like to SUPER agree with Bob's point. When you make drugs illegal, you drive use more underground than it is already, making it harder to get people into treatment that really need it. And when you are facing prison for drug use...well you kind of try really hard to keep it on the down low.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I just don't believe that illegal firearms trade would be as large as the illegal drugs trade.
Well, you've provided no compelling reason for me to agree with you. So I don't.

Actually, I've done some research and found that ironically, law enforcement doesn't really help all that much.
You're talking about Australia, a country with an at least decent police force. I don't know much about it, but it's probably a heck of a lot better than Mexico's. Mexico's police force is as corrupt and inefficient as any in the world (except for some African nations, but we won't go there). Corruption is the key word here. Mexican police allow all sorts of thing to slide, ESPECIALLY drug trafficking. I'm not saying to add more police, I'm saying to make sure they are less corrupt. Make sure they enforce the laws and get drug lords in jail.

In the words of the Families and Friends for Drug Law Reform. So, basically, more cops don't help. It's funny though, but it seems like the softer approach of harm minimisation works better than piling on the police. The same document continues to say:

So, basically getting the addicts into treatment lowers crime rates. I think if we legalise these drugs we'd be able to get more of the addicts into treatment, and reduce the crime rates.
They should be forced to get treatment. That has nothing to do with whether they should be legal or not. They should be sent to jail and forced to get help.

Okay... I'm not so sure on this. I found a graph depicting crime rates in the USA and Canada from the 1980s to 2000. It seems that crime peaked in the 1990s as opposed to the 80s.

Yeah, the epidemic carried on into the early 90s as well. Then abortion was legalized and crime rates dropped.

Funny you talk about prohibition. See, look violent crime increases when you make drugs illegal. I think this is the homicide rate in the USA, during prohibition. Prohibition ends in 1933 and from then on, there is a massive drop in the murder rates.
Yep, crime rates went way up. But that's because alcohol is so unbelievably ingrained in our culture that it was an outrage when it was banned. A lot of the crime was due to protesting. It'd kind of be like the government saying "ok, cell phones are illegal now." It's not nearly the same with illegal drugs. People choose to ignore the fact that alcohol is a dangerous drug to them and those around them. With the illegal drugs already illegal, people aren't in denial like they are with alcohol. They accept the dangers of illegal drugs. If alcohol weren't so ingrained in our culture, it would have been made illegal long ago with no problem, just like all the other drugs.

Yeah, when heroin is illegal. When the addicts can get treatment and help, crime rates decrease, it's odd isn't it. Legalising the drugs would help the addicts receive the treatment they need.
They should receive treatment, but it should still be illegal. (By the way, do I seem mean? Sorry if I do. I've just been reading through my posts and they're a bit harsh sounding.)

I'm not saying it makes you a better driver. I am saying that it makes you driver slower and more cautiously. The impairment is not nearly as bad as alcohol with even extremely high doses of marijuana. You are more likely to get into an accident, but you are less likely than if you are talking on a cell phone, or drinking, or too focused on a passenger, or texting, or checking your GPS, or any of a multitude of distractions we experience as drivers in a modern era (I really hope we get to the point where cars drive themselves soon).
Auto-pilot cars ftw.

Yes, impairment is not as bad with alcohol, but it still makes you a worse driver according to my source, and makes you even worse as you take more.

I can agree with you that people being on their phone (etc.) in the car is more dangerous than weed smoking, but the former is because the driver is making a stupid decision. You could be out at a bar smoking weed and then, because weed affects your problem solving (source), decide to drive and get in an accident, meaning that simply the use of weed was the real cause of the accident. If the user had been in their n=right mind and not high, they wouldn't have DWI'd.

Also, THC metabolites (the actual THC is gone in less than a couple hours) stays in your system even when you are not intoxicated. How many of those in the statistic were actually high when they were driving? Well, drug tests can't determine that, only subjective testing so far can discern if one is under the influence of marijuana currently. And how many of them may have been drinking too in addition to smoking marijuana when they got into that crash? I even believe that page mention that typically the people with THC in their system has other drugs in them as well, most notably alcohol.
Good point, a lot of them may have drank as well, but I highly doubt everybody in the study did. Not to mention that higher weed concentrations made the accident more likely to happen, indicating that weed was indeed a factor. And they also mention that weed can slow reaction time among other things.

And yeah, THC metabolites can stick around for a while, so that is a good point as well. But, with the correlation between weed concentration and likelihood to cause an accident as well as studies that show it slows reaction times among other things, there is plenty of evidence to suggest marijuana makes you more likely to crash.

Ok, so I did a little looking, and while Ill certainly say the compilation is likely from a biased source (Erowid), but that doesn't necessarily affect the accuracy the the information or its sources. This is very nice little little compilation of marijuana and alcohol related driving statistics and studies.
Yeah, there's lots of conflicting reports about weed. It's hard to know which one to believe. And yeah, my first source was biased as well, so I tried to use a less biased ones this time. Anyway, it's clear that there's no conclusive evidence to believe marijuana doesn't impair driving, and I think it should be kept illegal as long as we don't really know if it could hurt society or not. "Better safe than sorry" is my motto here. Don't get me wrong, I don't just hate weed for the sake of hating it. If I could make tobacco/alcohol illegal and weed legal, I would do it. But it's not safe considering we don't know enough about it to determine whether it will harm society or not.

Good, so we should give people access to them, but make sure that to get them, they can't be driving. Sounds like observation with a trained clinician for hallucenogenic experiences fits the need perfectly and would serve to severely shrink the black market in this area. Really though as long as you aren't driving though hallucinogens are pretty safe. (really are we going to ban every drug just because people have access to cars?)
I just use cars as an example. There are other things as well, such as drugs that can make you more aggressive or sexually attracted towards people, but I just stick to DWI often because it applies to pretty much all drugs and is one of the most dangerous examples.

I mean yeah, if you're willing to set up some whole "drug taking facility" where train clinicians give them doses that are virtually guaranteed not to get them addicted and patients are separated from everyone, then it's fine by me. But it seems unlikely that you'd be able to set up all that.

Because crack is more harmful than cocaine? Its more potent, and the chances of being overwhelmed by the sensation and becoming hooked is greater than with cocaine. Coca leaves themselves are no worse for you than chewing tobacco (and probably less cancerous). And while cocaine is a powerful stimulant, its route of ingestion and lower potency makes it much safer than crack.
Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. Cocaine and coca leaves are still very dangerous though, especially when driving (source).

Facilities for treatment maybe. Jail no. Jail will put them into contact with more unsavory characters. The last place you want drug users making friends is with the drug dealers and gangs in prisons. If you could incarcerate them into a system where they are among like minded individuals (say other people who need to kick their drug habit only) then you might get some progress. But throwing drug users into the prison system we have now really only makes the drug problems of the people entering it even worse.
This is a good point. But I'm not saying put them into jail with drug dealers. Yeah, you're probably right that they should be put in with other drug abusers. I'd advocate that. But the fact is that they deserve punishment.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I know that cocaine is dangerous while driving. I am not sure the potency of coca leaves in say a tea for a little extra boost would have on driving. But you shouldn't blanket the statement over both, cocaine is somewhat dangerous. Coca leaves are unhealthy at worst, but not necessarily very dangerous to driving. There is a lack of literature on the subject too, so don't take my opinion for fact. But the degree of intoxication when it comes to cocaine and coca leaves is magnitudes different in terms of dosage of the active alkaloids in the coca plant.

I almost feel like marijuana doesn't really belong in this discussion, because it is scientifically accepted that it is not a "hard" drug. In fact its just about the safest way in the world to become intoxicated and people have been using it for thousands of years (considering both your safety and that of others).

The main reason I feel other drugs should be legal is mostly because when pushing the market underground, I believe we create a lot more strife, chaos, violence, and shattered lives, than if we were to make sure that any drugs being sold are pure, the people using them educated about proper doses, pushed towards use at home. Heck, we could license drug use, you want to use drugs, pay up to the government, and if you are caught in a situation where it is actually dangerous to be using the drug (driving, boating, machinery, etc) then you loose your license, go to jail, and you loose your right to use drugs.

I kind of feel like I'm defending my own safe drug use, because I know that America would not benefit from my imprisonment, and that also applies to other drug users as well, not all of them. Society certainly benefits from the removal of some drug users, but to generalize that ALL drug users should be punished (incarcerated to some degree), and that it would be good for society, I feel is wrong.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well, if we could create a "drug taking facility" like the one I described before that actually benefited the government financially, I'd be all for it. But it seems unlikely that we'd ever be able to set something like that up.

And yeah, I can see how my opinions on the topic could be sensitive to you if you use these drugs. I just believe that the fact that it increases the chance of harm to those around you, even if by a fraction of a percent, makes it wrong to legalize/decriminalize. Anyway, I probably won't say any more along these lines so as not to offend anyone. Sorry if I have already unknowingly done so.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
You're talking about Australia, a country with an at least decent police force. I don't know much about it, but it's probably a heck of a lot better than Mexico's. Mexico's police force is as corrupt and inefficient as any in the world (except for some African nations, but we won't go there). Corruption is the key word here. Mexican police allow all sorts of thing to slide, ESPECIALLY drug trafficking. I'm not saying to add more police, I'm saying to make sure they are less corrupt. Make sure they enforce the laws and get drug lords in jail.
I thought we were talking about the legalisation of drugs in developed countries like Australia and the USA.

They should be forced to get treatment. That has nothing to do with whether they should be legal or not. They should be sent to jail and forced to get help.
If drugs are illegal, and we adopt a zero tolerance policy, how often are people are going to come out and seek help? Virtually never. When there's a massive penalty for doing the right thing, people aren't going to do it.

Yeah, the epidemic carried on into the early 90s as well. Then abortion was legalized and crime rates dropped.
Okay...

Yep, crime rates went way up. But that's because alcohol is so unbelievably ingrained in our culture that it was an outrage when it was banned. A lot of the crime was due to protesting. It'd kind of be like the government saying "ok, cell phones are illegal now." It's not nearly the same with illegal drugs. People choose to ignore the fact that alcohol is a dangerous drug to them and those around them. With the illegal drugs already illegal, people aren't in denial like they are with alcohol. They accept the dangers of illegal drugs. If alcohol weren't so ingrained in our culture, it would have been made illegal long ago with no problem, just like all the other drugs.
So you think the increase in homicide rates was due to protest crimes? It doesn't have anything to do with the mob and the birth of gangland warfare and organised crime? I think it's more down to the fact that with alcohol being made illegal, organised crime rings flourished, and so they came into more competition with each other. As a result killing ensued.

This is a good point. But I'm not saying put them into jail with drug dealers. Yeah, you're probably right that they should be put in with other drug abusers. I'd advocate that. But the fact is that they deserve punishment.
Ironically, we have many drug dealers that are drug users. They sell drugs to finance their drug habit. It's like one massive pyramid scheme, that really wouldn't happen if many drugs were made legal.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well, if we could create a "drug taking facility" like the one I described before that actually benefited the government financially, I'd be all for it. But it seems unlikely that we'd ever be able to set something like that up.

And yeah, I can see how my opinions on the topic could be sensitive to you if you use these drugs. I just believe that the fact that it increases the chance of harm to those around you, even if by a fraction of a percent, makes it wrong to legalize/decriminalize. Anyway, I probably won't say any more along these lines so as not to offend anyone. Sorry if I have already unknowingly done so.
I'm not offended. But I know that drugs can be done responsibly. And that just like you have to learn to be responsible about other things you do that can endanger others (like driving, some business practices would fall under this (especially environmental ones), and using any kind of drug that produces a noticeable intoxication). Yes it is incredibly stupid to take drugs and drive, some more stupid than others, but all in all its never a good idea, the fact that enforcement itself (and certainly when you take into account all the violence related to distribution now) probably damages more lives irreparably than the drugs themselves would do when people are incredibly stupid and do not use them in a safe manner. In that sense I justify a position for legalizing drugs as being less harmful to society and people (because everyone is a person, even the drug users who may be breaking the laws, we kind of have to go back to the natural state and then work forward for this).

I also believe we can offset a lot of the harm done by drugs by using tax revenues from their sales to treat people (since money doesn't just pop out of thin air, why not let drug users pay for drug rehab). We could probably accomplish that with significant revenue remaining that we could focus towards education. In addition I feel like illegal drugs actually allow easier access for adolescents than if they were regulated and legal. Now I would prefer if the government sold drugs for the sole reason that we can at least always hold government more accountable for unsafe practices than businesses. Drugs are a social health concern and in that they need to be either very highly regulated and or sold by the government, with great transparency in either case.

And sure, you can say, but we will never do that, but I think that something we may never do, is still better than something that has been a total and complete failure (ie the drug war, drug use follows social and financial currents more than it rides the currents of legality, so to minimize damage, we need to provide safe access to the inevitable, and work as hard as we can to get rid of poverty).

There is also this lovely argument that marijuana is a gateway drug entirely because of its illegal status, and that it being illegal is in fact leading to more of our youth getting hooked on much more dangerous substances because the social circles they need to be in contact with to get marijuana, will also provide them with other drugs that are inarguably more dangerous to both them and others.

By the way, Krazy Glue marijuana has been used by humans of many cultures for thousands of years. When Jamestown was founded, people were required by law to grow hemp, which in addition to making good rope and strong lasting clothing, was a great medicine as it alleviates the symptoms of a very wide range of illnesses, of course it was also used recreationally then as well. We did a really, really good job though in the early 1900s using racism to demonize pretty much every type of drug use except for alcohol, most specifically marijuana. But it is in fact true, that human culture is very, very prone to adopting the use of different drugs. So that is something you should consider, even though I guess it's the naturalistic fallacy. It is in our nature (well its in our nature to repeat activities that release dopamine).

D

Deleted member

I keep reading arguments about how people who are addicted to drugs are ruining their lives; slowly killing themselves through drug "abuse".

I fail to see why this is my problem, or anyone's problem, really. It's not my body that's addicted, and I personally don't care if you are or not. If you want to use the hardest of drugs, go ahead. If that kills you, oh well - you knew the consequences, and that's just Darwinism.

We shouldn't judge addicts of any kind. Who is to say their lives are any worse than ours? If their existence is to seek pleasure, so be it. It's not my right to take that away.

You can add on additional theories (legalization will prevent crimes, say) but the basic fact is that it's not your body. Much like sexual orientation, I don't give a **** what you do in the privacy of your own home. Just don't blow smoke in my face.

Oh, and I've never taken any drugs, aside from alcohol / caffeine.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
People who read the homosexuality threads (and listened to what I was saying instead of just insulting me as soon as they heard what my position was) would know Del has essentially just assumed social contract theory, without feeling the need to justify it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
People who read the homosexuality threads (and listened to what I was saying instead of just insulting me as soon as they heard what my position was) would know Del has essentially just assumed social contract theory, without feeling the need to justify it.
If you feel that the statement "Much like sexual orientation, I don't give a **** what you do in the privacy of your own home. Just don't blow smoke in my face..." deserves a counter, then make one. Saying "that's a SC argument" is okay, but as a point alone is irrelevant, unless you're saying that SC arguments should be considered fallacies.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I never said I justified my theory. I made this thread to see if people's usage of the social contract is consistent on both homosexuality and drugs.

Del's post basically just says "social contract is true", without proving it.

It's like going into a God debate and just saying "God exists" as your argument.

D

Deleted member

I get your point by why not just start a SC vs naturalism (that's the right word, is it?) debate.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's natural law, not naturalism. Naturalism is a different ethical theory, based on materialism.

NL vs. SC would be a legitimate debate, but I don't want to debate it. Firstly, I'm currently studying NL and it's giving me enough headaches. Secondly, the debate gets brought up in a lot of moral topics, so we would just be repeating ourselves tediously.

D

Deleted member

Once again, I have no idea what Dre. is talking about. If you had to put an "ism" to my post, it would be libertarianism. If I were advocating the social contract in that last post, I would be saying "you could use drugs, but constraint must upheld to maintain social order".

No. I don't care if you die on a drug bender. I don't care if you "waste" your life playing World of Warcraft. Do you what you want. So long as it doesn't affect me, I couldn't care less about drug / game / gambling addictions, if that's what you're into. If you're happy, I'm happy.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Dre, I want you to define "social contract" because I've looked up the definition... and whatever you think social contract is... it's not what the rest of the world defines it to be...

Either define social contract or stop using it to straw-man everyone's arguments.

-blazed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom