• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leffen's US Visa Application has been Denied

God-slayer William "Leffen" Hjelte has shaken up the world of competitive Melee in the last few years. Aside from his pristine Fox play, the 21-year-old Swede is well known for his often times villainous persona and for being the first player to take down all five of Melee's "Gods". Leffen was on a tear in 2015, winning many major tournaments such as CEO 2015, HTC Throwdown, BEAST V, and more. As Leffen was hot off his HTC Throwdown win, many were looking to him as one of the favorites to win The Big House 5. However, he was rejected entry into the US when travelling to The Big House 5 -- and it was announced today that his subsequent Visa request has been denied.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The announcement was dropped via Red Bull eSports, where Leffen also shared his thoughts in a Red Bull exclusive interview. Additionally, a teaser trailer was released for Cultivation: Leffen Resurrection, a video series that will follow Leffen's travels through Canada as he competes against the best again.

The teaser for Cultivation: Leffen Resurrection, set to premiere in Summer 2016
Be sure to keep up with Leffen as he competes in Canada. This weekend, he will face off against Armada, Hungrybox, Mango, Mew2King, and more at the Enthusiast Gaming Live Expo in Mississauga, Ontario. He will then compete in Vancouver, British Columbia at the Battle of BC on May 14th, then finishing his run one week later at Get On My Level 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, where he will compete against Hungrybox, Mew2King, Westballz, and many more.

Stay updated with Leffen on Twitter @TSM_Leffen, and join in on the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #FreeLeffen.

Last edited:

Comments

Leffen broke the law when he earned money from Team SoloMid under a tourist VISA. TSM may be "one of the largest competitive esports companies in the world", as you say, but don't mislead folks: it's still an American company.
If Leffen broke the law, American customs would have Leffen in jail and Leffen's assets and bank accounts frozen instead of merely revoking his visa and deporting him.

As for Leffen's scenario, there's really no way for him to win. Income from video game tournament winnings isn't the same as income from being a plummer, nor is it the same as income from gambling, or is it the same as income from being hired by a professional sports league or team, nor is it the same as earning income from Pay-Per-View percentages like in fight sports.

It is a legal and taxation anomaly, and the income earned is often insignificant to the states in which it is earned (again, you're arguing federal authority used on a state issue).

It is so small and such a specific case that it is often ignored. When it isn't ignored, it often is already cut out of paychecks. Often in situations where that is the case (like LCS Finals, Dreamhack Dallas, CEO, EVO), the states in which these events occur don't have income taxes (Texas, Florida, Washington and Nevada being the key states here).

Leffen thus doesn't really have a clear cut visa category other than a work sports-related visa, which as we learned from the video, "Super Smash Bros. Melee" isn't considered a sport, yet League of Legends, DOTA, and Counter-Strike are considered sports.

On top of that Leffen got his visa revoked after earning most of the money from tournaments in states without income tax.

The definition of a "sport" is the key issue, and one the United States of America Customs services are flat wrong on. It is usually defined as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature," in which video games would be considered.

This lack of understanding is what left Leffen in a "every choice is wrong" situation, and it is why Leffen is stuck where he is. Red Bull (a top notch Austrian country) and TSM (a top US organization) knew this, and went for the visa with the best chance of succeeding and with the most accurate description (trust me, they know more about this than some troll on the internet like yourself).

It failed, again, because of the definition of "sport," as defined in the video.
TSM picked up Leffen back in March, 2015. He then participated in numerous nationals on American soil while being paid by an American company,
A sponsorship is a unique type of situation in taxation. The specific kind of sponsorship Leffen has would be taxed based upon where Leffen is residing in, which would be Sweden. Even if that wasn't the case, it would be based upon which nation/state Leffen spends most of his time in, which again would be Sweden (and whatever specific region of Sweden he is from).

So that earned income is completely irrelevant no matter where the country is.

If we applied your terrible logic to say my father (an American who works for a Japanese company and visits Japan for about a quarter of the year), my father would be paying his taxes to Japan, not the state of California nor the federal government of America.

But nope, he doesn't pay a dime to any level of the Japanese government for his income.
He would have kept the gig going, to be sure. But a worker VISA would make him (explicitly) liable for federal taxes
There aren't federal taxes on this specific kind of income of someone who resides in another country. Worker visas are for people with extended long period stays in a nation/who live in a nation for that stay; the longest Leffen stayed in America was a month on 1 occasion, and his income was only earned in small batches here and there.

If it were to be more like a traditional worker visa type situation, Leffen's situation was more he traveled from place to place, much like an employee of a company who is visiting a nation for a short-period stay (this all feels like the definition of what my father does again).

Leffen didn't buy or rent a residence in America while visiting, nor did he stay in one place, which both go against central tenants of how worker visas usually worked. He stayed at hotels and friend's house, which sort of fits the description of a tourist visa more.

\\

Leffen's income isn't dependent on American work, but rather mostly from his sponsorship money (which America has no part in taxing on Leffen's end) and from Twitch streaming income. Even if it was reliant on tournament winnings, it would be an international affair since Leffen has won tournament prize money in roughly a dozen nations across the globe.

On top of that, again, it is all state level taxation (because he's not a resident/it doesn't pass a certain income threshold). The taxation of it isn't a whole lot different than lottery or gambling winnings, and it certainly isn't enough money to really be federally taxed (which applies only to residents).

\\

And again, all your statements on this are using the assumption you are right, and know more not just than me, but of the legal counsel team of TSM and Red Bull GmbH, which is insane. The weird situation is why, AGAIN, none of these specific visas really fit Leffen's work description but that of a sports business visa, of which Leffen was denied because Super Smash Bros. Melee isn't considered a sport (yet other video games are) under the categorization of another worthless American government agency.
Nice degree, by the way. Though it would seem the United States government still doesn't agree with you.
The United States of America doesn't agree with many of its' own laws. America's Federal government doesn't even agree with its' own 4th Amendment.

Also, to poke a hole in your terrible argument, again, income is taxed at the state level, and you are arguing at a federal level. On top of that, Leffen earned income on his last two visits primarily in Florida and Nevada, two states without income tax. So him earning money there wouldn't have any "red flags" for the government to pick up on.

\\

Additionally, what kind of taxation and/or accounting courses or knowledge do you have?

Have you taken any courses of the following?
-Federal Income Tax Accounting
-Federal Income Accounting
-State Accounting
-College Accounting
-College Tax Accounting
-Managerial Accounting
-Financial Accounting

No? Because I aced all those courses, and I have degrees in business admin, taxation, tax accounting, and book keeping.

For someone who is making such claims, you really don't know anything about them.

But besides that, intelligent argument wasn't your goal. Being a hater and a liar using it in this guise to hate Leffen was, as per your original post in the thread:
He's a ******* besides, and isn't welcome here in either case.
Your goal wasn't to make intelligent discourse on taxation (of which you have very little understanding of), it was based on hatred of Leffen.

The whole point of all this anti-Leffen speech was because you hate Leffen, not because you understand the tax law at any complex level.

Now please, as Arthur put it (note: replace "me" with "Leffen")...

Last edited:
As for Leffen's scenario, there's really no way for him to win. Income from video game tournament winnings isn't the same as income from being a plummer, nor is it the same as income from gambling, or is it the same as income from being hired by a professional sports league or team, nor is it the same as earning income from Pay-Per-View percentages like in fight sports.

It is a legal and taxation anomaly, and the income earned is often insignificant to the states in which it is earned (again, you're arguing federal authority used on a state issue).
If you could just please learn how to read, you would see I haven't said anything about tournament winnings, ever.

Leffen thus doesn't really have a clear cut visa category other than a work sports-related visa, which as we learned from the video, "Super Smash Bros. Melee" isn't considered a sport, yet League of Legends, DOTA, and Counter-Strike are considered sports.

On top of that Leffen got his visa revoked after earning most of the money from tournaments in states without income tax.

The definition of a "sport" is the key issue, and one the United States of America Customs services are flat wrong on. It is usually defined as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature," in which video games would be considered
You keep skirting the fact that he previously was coming to the USA under a tourist VISA. Last year (Late Sept. Early Oct.), he wasn't merely denied a VISA when he attempted to enter the United States. He was denied entry altogether because the United States Government recognized his ineligibility based on his earnings.

But keep saying it's because of the definition of Smash as a "sport", hurr, but it is just one of the reasons he was denied for his current VISA. Take your fanboy goggles off.

Last edited:
If you could just please learn how to read, you would see I haven't said anything about tournament winnings, ever.
1. This kind of low brow insult is very infraction-worthy.

2. Leffen's only relevant earnings in the United States of America are his tournament winnings, so all other income is irrelevant to the matter. I don't know why you brought up sponsorship money, since Leffen would be taxed in the country where he lives. This is basic taxation knowledge.
You keep skirting the fact that he previously was coming to the USA under a tourist VISA. Last year (Late Sept. Early Oct.), he wasn't merely denied a VISA when he attempted to enter the United States. He was denied entry altogether because the United States Government recognized his ineligibility based on his earnings.
He was denied it because he didn't have a sports athlete/sports business visa, which categorically is the kind of visa Leffen should have.

Leffen was applied for one, and was denied. It is a classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, because for some reason Super Smash Bros. Melee doesn't fall under the esports categorization as a sport like other video games.
But keep saying it's because of the definition of Smash as a "sport", hurr, but it is just one of the reasons he was denied for his current VISA.
Visas for competition such as video games falls under the "sports athlete/sports business" category as per previous established rulings, which is what I was referring to this entire time.
Take your fanboy goggles off.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but you said this.
That's no different from a "fanboy" statement, except instead of "irrational love" that is a defining trait of modern "fanboy" logic, you have "irrational hate."

Your "irrational hate" comes from some sort of insecurities based on your feelings of inferiority and you not knowing how to deal with them. I sincerely 100% hope you do find a way to deal with them, and I hope it finds you more joy in life, because being mad or sad isn't a way to go through life.

I don't have any feelings of hatred or disregard for you, but rather feelings of sympathy and empathy.

Being angry at a person you never met like Leffen because he is successful at a video game is not a way to solve this issue, but rather, deep insight into one's own self and self-worth. You're better than that!

Last edited:
Enough. There's nothing low brow about making an apt observation, and there's been enough passive aggressive mudslinging between the two of you for a lifetime.

If Leffen broke the law, American customs would have Leffen in jail and Leffen's assets and bank accounts frozen instead of merely revoking his visa and deporting him.
Someone's been watching a bit too much Burn Notice and Bourne Identity.

We do exactly what we did with Leffen; put them on the next plane home. He was denied entry. Revoking his visa and deportation is exactly what we do.

He was denied it because he didn't have a sports athlete/sports business visa, which categorically is the kind of visa Leffen should have.

Leffen was applied for one, and was denied. It is a classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, because for some reason Super Smash Bros. Melee doesn't fall under the esports categorization as a sport like other video games.
Not in the slightest.

He was caught breaking immigration law through the misuse of a tourist visa. I haven't the slightest idea how you've managed to paint a clear cut federal customs issue into a state level income tax issue.

It was after this event that TSM applied for the work visa and was denied, because of course they were going to be. You can't game US immigration, get caught, and expect them to just laugh it off and hand you the right visa, especially in today's political climate on the issue.

To quote myself from a previous comment on this thread:

Honestly this entire debacle is just one massive egg in the face for what in the world TSM thought they were doing or what they thought was going to happen.
He should have been given the proper visa by his employer when he was originally employed.

To quote myself again:

Redbull's contribution was to attempt to get him an athlete's visa (as opposed to the tourist visa he was originally using and should not have been, or the work visa TSM should have gotten him in the first place), which is the denied request he's reading in the video. Pretty simple there, Super Smash Brothers isn't applicable for an athlete's visa, and it's not like the process is in a vacuum; they know they're dealing with someone who was already denied a work visa.
To add on to that for clarity; his file's most likely been flagged. This is not the same thing as Victor McRussian trying to get a work visa to come to the US for Dota from Russia for the first time. Or your father taking trips to HQ or what have you in Japan, for that matter; different country, different laws with regards to tourist and work visas.

and

The weirdest thing is that Redbull should know all this. Honestly, this is either their bottom of the barrel last ditch attempt that has no chance of working, or they appealed the original athlete's visa denial already and they're just hyping up their Leffen documentary.
To add on to that for clarity; it's possible Leffen already has his visa in the works from Redbull and they're using it to hype up their documentary about him.

EDIT: That isn't to say I don't have some choice words on US immigration or how they seem proportionally reluctant to granting work visas to people most likely to gain employment, but the progression of events in Leffen's case throws some very particular nuances here.

Last edited:
Enough. There's nothing low brow about making an apt observation, and there's been enough passive aggressive mudslinging between the two of you for a lifetime.
I was being sincere in my comments. While it may come off as passive aggressive, I actually do think people are better than hating someone they don't know, and I didn't take any of it personally. Said user was clearly jealous of Leffen, and I don't think they have any reason to be. They should be happy with themselves without having to result to insults of people they don't know.
Someone's been watching a bit too much Burn Notice and Bourne Identity.
I know what the Bourne Identity is (I have never seen it), but I have never seen the movie Burn Notice.

Also, you needn't stoop to this level. The rest of your thought out post shows that you are far better than this.

Additionally if you don't want a certain behavior, just ask for it to stop... directly.

\\

As for the rest of your statements, I want you to know something.

I am not disagreeing with you on the visa Leffen have.

What I am disagreeing with you and people with shared opinions like yours is the reason why this happened.

When I hear the phrase "Super Smash Bros. Melee is not a sport" in a notice from government agencies when a sports athlete/sports business visa when that is the specific visa non-American esports competitors need to conduct their business in the United States of America (and when League of Legends, DOTA, Hearthstone, Counter-Strike and so on are considered "sports" via this clause), it is a clear cut sign that it had nothing to do with Leffen's past visa and visa mistakes in my opinion.

Perhaps Leffen's past visa issues may have been a factor, but even if they weren't, with that kind of statement, Leffen wouldn't have gotten a visa anyways.

That is terribly frightening. This could be applied to any Smasher who isn't an American, namely the top player of each of the 3 active Smash games (64's Wario, Melee's Armada and Smash 4's Zero [although Zero may have a green card given that he does live in the US at least on a part-time basis]), as well as other notable players like Superboomfan, Ice, Professor Pro, aMSa, any other member of the Lindgren family, Fuzzyness, and so on.

I want this to be a one-time issue in the Smash community, not a recurring trend.
To add on to that for clarity; it's possible Leffen already has his visa in the works from Redbull and they're using it to hype up their documentary about him.
Hopefully that is the case, and hopefully, the idea that Melee or any Smash game or heck, any game can't be considered a "sport" via the esports ruling on sports visas will be changed.

I don't want this to be the standard in any form of competition, especially when lost revenue for everyone (including the government of America via taxation) happens because of this.
It's Austria though. Just sayin'.
I always get confused since much of their workforce in in Australia and their are HQ'd in Austria.

You think me being of Austrian descent and my mother's family having strong Austrian ties would get me from being confused. :laugh:

Last edited:
Damn. Just. Wow. How come his visa requests were denied?
he's been using a tourist visa but since he's sponsored by an American team he has to have a work visa since he's coming over here to technically "work" for TSM but they're not permitting it to him because to the government melee is neither work nor a legitimate sport

I was being sincere in my comments. While it may come off as passive aggressive, I actually do think people are better than hating someone they don't know, and I didn't take any of it personally. Said user was clearly jealous of Leffen, and I don't think they have any reason to be. They should be happy with themselves without having to result to insults of people they don't know.
On most forums, such comments are typically seen as flame baiting, akin to threatening to block a user; if an individual is being a nuisance, that is what the report button is for, not pictures of a dearly beloved children's cartoon or more words towards the person behind the post than to the relevant point of his posts.

I know what the Bourne Identity is (I have never seen it), but I have never seen the movie Burn Notice.

Also, you needn't stoop to this level. The rest of your thought out post shows that you are far better than this.
If the rest of my post shows I am above a certain level, it would stand to reason that the one section that appears below it could simply be being misread, as it is here.

The United States government does not have the jurisdiction to freeze and / or seize the assets and bank account(s) of a foreign citizen because they were denied entry into the country, nor would any foreign bank worth their salt (such was where said account is located) approve their request for such a thing.

Hence the comparison to The Bourne Identity and Burn Notice (was a semi-long running television show, in many ways cut from the same cloth as the Bourne series); your assertion, while humorous, was clearly a product of a somewhat overactive imagination, which I was pointed out then followed by elaboration of proper protocol.

Much of what else you said falls into the edit I obviously made too late (Work picked up).

I will rewrite it here:

"That isn't to say I don't have some choice words on US immigration or how they seem proportionally reluctant to granting work visas to people most likely to gain employment, but the progression of events in Leffen's case throws some very particular nuances here."

Perhaps Leffen's past visa issues may have been a factor, but even if they weren't, with that kind of statement, Leffen wouldn't have gotten a visa anyways.
I am asserting that his past visa history was most certainly a factor, yes.

I mean, yes, the US government dislikes granting work visas to people who can actually find work or are coming to the country to work, and this might be why TSM decided to simply leave Leffen with a tourist visa. (It's largely the same reason many foreigners who come here for college and get their BA/MA/Ph.D's here then have to go back home to find employment and why Microsoft had to build a second HQ in Vancouver for all the employees they can't get work visas to allow them to be in Seattle. It's also a reason I can't help but find your assertions of how big and important peanuts like TSM, Redbull, and Smash esports are as if that means anything. Silicon Valley and the Tech industry have been trying to get around this stuff for years.)

It's unlikely though considering how they obviously never told Leffen that.

That is terribly frightening. This could be applied to any Smasher who isn't an American, namely the top player of each of the 3 active Smash games (64's Wario, Melee's Armada and Smash 4's Zero [although Zero may have a green card given that he does live in the US at least on a part-time basis]), as well as other notable players like Superboomfan, Ice, Professor Pro, aMSa, any other member of the Lindgren family, Fuzzyness, and so on.
This is where the nuances come in. ZeRo for example said in the past that one of his biggest priorities when picking a team was who could best help him obtain a green card and, unlike Leffen, he lives here. Armada, as has been mentioned, is a European sponsored by a European company. He does use the right visa.

Last edited:

2. Leffen's only relevant earnings in the United States of America are his tournament winnings, so all other income is irrelevant to the matter. I don't know why you brought up sponsorship money, since Leffen would be taxed in the country where he lives. This is basic taxation knowledge.

Visas for competition such as video games falls under the "sports athlete/sports business" category as per previous established rulings, which is what I was referring to this entire time.
Take your fanboy goggles off.
I'm sorry, but you said this.

That's no different from a "fanboy" statement, except instead of "irrational love" that is a defining trait of modern "fanboy" logic, you have "irrational hate."

Your "irrational hate" comes from some sort of insecurities based on your feelings of inferiority and you not knowing how to deal with them. I sincerely 100% hope you do find a way to deal with them, and I hope it finds you more joy in life, because being mad or sad isn't a way to go through life.

I don't have any feelings of hatred or disregard for you, but rather feelings of sympathy and empathy.

Being angry at a person you never met like Leffen because he is successful at a video game is not a way to solve this issue, but rather, deep insight into one's own self and self-worth. You're better than that![/QUOTE]

You started off by going into tax law. You then cited some classes you aced as evidence that you are much more well versed in this subject than him, and argued that his argument was never really even about how tax law actually works. (I agree with all of this and fall on your side of the argument here) However, you then, very hypocritically, delved yourself into a different topic (insecurity and bullying), this time one you clearly have no understanding of.

"Super Smash Bros. Melee isn't seen as a sport" was stated by Leffen in the visa contract reading in the video (it's easy to miss since Leffen reads about 4 lines at once thanks to the video editing).

Note that League of Legends, DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, StarCraft II, and many other video games are seen as equivalents of sports in the eyes of customs, as are many trades, some of which aren't even actually sports or truly sports-related.

Seeing as how Leffen is sponsored by Team Solo Mid (one of the largest esports competitive organizations in the world) and Red Bull (one of the biggest brands to ever come from Australia), Leffen obviously had good legal representation.

The problem is... getting work visas for video games right now is a case-by-case, video game-by-video game basis.

\\

This also has been an issue in some traditional contact sports. MMA, the oldest sport in existence (well by extension, since it's fighting, and nothing is older than fighting in human history but sex, birth and death), has seen this issue arise numerous times.

One of the 5 best 205 pound MMA fighters in the world, Glover Teixeira, couldn't get into America for over a 4 years because of visa issues. Glover had fought in America for 5 1/2 years on 0 occasions, and like Leffen, randomly had his work visa revoked.

This visa issue prevented Glover from signing with the UFC (the biggest organization in the sport with the highest pay) for years, and when he did finally get the work visa to go to America he got signed by the UFC.

Glover lost out on hundreds of thousands of dollars at least in potential income, which probably lost the states he would have fought in even more money than that (sports, like esports, are based on performers who draw in interest and thus money, and Glover became one instantly).

While Super Smash Bros. Melee doesn't draw the audiences or money of MMA, and Leffen doesn't draw the viewers or money of Glover Teixeira or the UFC, Leffen does indeed equal a draw, which leads to an increase in stream viewers, tournament entrants, and tournament interest, all of which give streamers, event organizers, and event hosts increased income (of which states can tax from).

Thus, not having Leffen around is having a negative impact on the American economy, even if Leffen is taking his tournament income and spending it mostly in Sweden (because he inevitably brings about business in America that is greater than his tournament winnings, especially when you factor in his domestic travel and housing expenses).

\\

So, in the long run, denying performers/athletes is a bad thing for nations to do, which is why countries usually don't make a habit of it.

Alas, the post-9/11 mindset of "foreign = bad" as well as the general Baby Boomer (aka "waste all the resources and money in the world) mindset of "video games = not a sport and not a real competition" are hurting American income due to short-sighted "get off my lawn" mentality.

For whatever reason, these people at the American customs offices think Leffen is lying, don't realize the impact or size of Red Bull and TSM are (to have their employee able to travel to events), and honestly don't really care about anything but themselves.

I'm not expert on the specific details of work visas and athlete visas, but the job is almost definitely easier denying such claims rather than accepting them thanks to how anti-immigration American laws in general are (which is hilarious since less than 10% of Americans have ancestry that is predominately from indigenous groups).

No, sports earning taxes aren't federal but state taxes based on the state they are won. The taxation of sports earnings is very straight-forward. It is so straight-forward it is on a "per-basis" system.

Take for example, the NFL. The NFL has 16 games a year in the regular season. You earnings for your yearly salary is dived into 1/16th's, and each 1/16th is taxed by the state each of those games is played in (note this doesn't apply to signing bonus, in which case it would apply to the state the team plays in).

Each game is taxed based upon state income tax rates. Obviously it is higher in states such as California and New York compared to states such as Idaho or North Carolina.

There are also 7 states without income taxes at all, so the income earned in these states would be immune from any state taxation. These states are Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota, Texas, Florida, and Alaska (note: many major fighting game events take place in these states, notably Dreamhack Austin, CEO, and EVO).

In the case of Smash, usually state governments see the money as too minuscule to enforce the tax for taxation, or in the case of large events such as a LCS Final, The DOTA Summit, Dreamhack, or ESL, it is often taxed automatically so the person or persons receiving the income earnings from the tournament doesn't have to do additional work (like the NFL example earlier).

There can be a few caveats here and there, but the globalization of travel, trade and income has made the income, accounting, and taxation system of America pretty straight-forward in this regard to avoid controversy. It was made specifically very simple for this reason as well.

If this was an issue, America wouldn't attract international sports stars to play on American teams such as retired MLS superstar David Beckham, the NBA's Paul Gasol, or the MLB's David Ortiz, as well as hundreds of other professional and amateur athletes who aren't American citizens.

\\

In the case of sponsorship taxes, that is done federally based on country of origin, in which case Leffen's earnings from TSM, Red Bull, and any other sponsors he had would not be something US tax officials have any legal claim over. Leffen's taxation in regards to sponsorship income would thus be exclusive to his home nation of Sweden.

\\

As for said person's claims from the post you are quoting, the person you are quoting is a Leffen hater, who, unlike yours truly, doesn't have any credits, certificates and degrees in taxation accounting and business at the collegiate (and probably even the high school) level. They are merely trying to garner up more hate on Leffen.

Said person did just quote this post above yours...

These two posters are just posting out of feelings of inferiority rather than taxation insight.

I hope they realize they are strong enough to get over that all on their own and choose to value themselves better and get a more positive outlook so they can contribute to making themselves and the world better, all of which can lead to a chain of new and exciting opportunities for them that otherwise they won't have.
K your entire post was good until whatever bull**** was at the bottom. I kinda stopped reading after I saw some hate. Dude, you have no evidence that he didn't go to college or take a highschool business or accounting class. He could merely just be a moron. Don't hate the poorly educated, love the poorly educated.

I'm sorry but the government should not remove a denial over a ****ing video game. If he was rejected they must have had a reason, whether it was expired documents, or whatever.

Also this is the first thing I thought of:

I'm tired of people saying he sucks because they're jealous of his fame, and the U.S IS an effed up country. He should've been let in, end of story.

Well, thinking about it, that's dumb. He can't get in because he is going to compete in esports, and he asks to get that visa and he is refused because it's not an esport.

Roflmao murica

My question is why is #freeleffen a thing?

Do you expect American customs to suddenly switch their decision and award Leffen a Visa because of some silly gamers are hashtagging it? I am 100% convinced that zero ****s are given by customs. I'm also convinced that the entire hashtag mentality is ridiculous and achieves nothing unless certain rare circumstances. Not this one. Seriously, hashtags are pure cancer.

Leffen was denied a Visa. It happens all the time. if it's because of tax evasion or whatever, it's entirely on Leffen and hopefully he learns a lesson and does things legally and properly for the next time.

#ihate#'s
*Cautiously steps off any nearby lawns*

I'm not American so I have no idea how Visa's work there, but Leffen seems to fit the criteria to not be rejected, let alone rejected TWICE

Its really not that complicated. Leffen was denied entry at first because he mentioned to customs that he was coming to the US for work or business. That alone is enough to get you deported without a visa.

As a smasher that has traveled a lot to the US you need to say that its for personal reasons or for fun if not you're gonna need that visa. You have to treat it like a night to Vegas, win $ then go home happy but he ****ed up.
Do they accept 'personal reasons' as a valid excuse?

"Smash Bros. Melee is not considered a sport" That's crap because Red Bull knows that LoL and Dota 2 get massive venues for their stuff so they know all about foreign players who needed to get their visa who got it. The fact that they denied his request brings me anger knowing that Red Bull Gaming sponsors many many many LoL Dota 2 and CS:GO players that come from many reaches of the world. Another point to make is that america thinks he's here for illegal junk. Really? That makes me sick. That's bad. And the Department of Homeland Security should feel bad too. Not considered a sport? Tell that to pro Halo, LoL, Dota 2, CS:GO, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat players. See how they react when you tell them that. Five dollars says that most of the reactions will come from sponsored players who get loads of money.

Based on personal experience, it's entirely to do with how many times you visit in a short span of time.

Too many visits results in a visa decline. What's strange--and what isn't being mentioned, here--is that you don't need a visa to travel to the US. Even if your visa request is denied, you have every right to buy tickets and fly in to the US.

Unfortunately, immigration officers at the airport have every right to just say "nah" and stick you back on a plane. Or pull you into a back room and interrogate you for hours for no ****ing reason.

Last edited:
Phony Americans trying to stop Leffen from pursuing Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. America is the land of the free and home of the brave. The people in that office have no right to deny someone the right to settle in prosper in the country designed to be free to all those seeking liberty. #Freeleffen #LetLibertyRain #GodSpeedLeffen

America thinks he's coming in to do illegal ****, and not actually play Melee.
It's stupid.
Actually, the issue is not that they suspect him to be lying and plotting or some crap like that. The P1 visa he tried applying for gives him permission to enter the U.S. under the occasion of competing as an athlete in a sport "at an internationally recognized level of performance" which in the case of eSports, the recognition part is strictly at the discretion of the officer reviewing the application. Leffen was previously under a tourist visa, which expired shortly after signing with Red Bull of NA. The P1 visa was denied because the officer reviewing the application determined that Melee was not a sport internationally recognized.

"Super Smash Bros. Melee isn't seen as a sport" was stated by Leffen in the visa contract reading in the video (it's easy to miss since Leffen reads about 4 lines at once thanks to the video editing).

Note that League of Legends, DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, StarCraft II, and many other video games are seen as equivalents of sports in the eyes of customs, as are many trades, some of which aren't even actually sports or truly sports-related.

Seeing as how Leffen is sponsored by Team Solo Mid (one of the largest esports competitive organizations in the world) and Red Bull (one of the biggest brands to ever come from Australia), Leffen obviously had good legal representation.

The problem is... getting work visas for video games right now is a case-by-case, video game-by-video game basis.

\\

This also has been an issue in some traditional contact sports. MMA, the oldest sport in existence (well by extension, since it's fighting, and nothing is older than fighting in human history but sex, birth and death), has seen this issue arise numerous times.

One of the 5 best 205 pound MMA fighters in the world, Glover Teixeira, couldn't get into America for over a 4 years because of visa issues. Glover had fought in America for 5 1/2 years on 0 occasions, and like Leffen, randomly had his work visa revoked.

This visa issue prevented Glover from signing with the UFC (the biggest organization in the sport with the highest pay) for years, and when he did finally get the work visa to go to America he got signed by the UFC.

Glover lost out on hundreds of thousands of dollars at least in potential income, which probably lost the states he would have fought in even more money than that (sports, like esports, are based on performers who draw in interest and thus money, and Glover became one instantly).

While Super Smash Bros. Melee doesn't draw the audiences or money of MMA, and Leffen doesn't draw the viewers or money of Glover Teixeira or the UFC, Leffen does indeed equal a draw, which leads to an increase in stream viewers, tournament entrants, and tournament interest, all of which give streamers, event organizers, and event hosts increased income (of which states can tax from).

Thus, not having Leffen around is having a negative impact on the American economy, even if Leffen is taking his tournament income and spending it mostly in Sweden (because he inevitably brings about business in America that is greater than his tournament winnings, especially when you factor in his domestic travel and housing expenses).

\\

So, in the long run, denying performers/athletes is a bad thing for nations to do, which is why countries usually don't make a habit of it.

Alas, the post-9/11 mindset of "foreign = bad" as well as the general Baby Boomer (aka "waste all the resources and money in the world) mindset of "video games = not a sport and not a real competition" are hurting American income due to short-sighted "get off my lawn" mentality.

For whatever reason, these people at the American customs offices think Leffen is lying, don't realize the impact or size of Red Bull and TSM are (to have their employee able to travel to events), and honestly don't really care about anything but themselves.

I'm not expert on the specific details of work visas and athlete visas, but the job is almost definitely easier denying such claims rather than accepting them thanks to how anti-immigration American laws in general are (which is hilarious since less than 10% of Americans have ancestry that is predominately from indigenous groups).

No, sports earning taxes aren't federal but state taxes based on the state they are won. The taxation of sports earnings is very straight-forward. It is so straight-forward it is on a "per-basis" system.

Take for example, the NFL. The NFL has 16 games a year in the regular season. You earnings for your yearly salary is dived into 1/16th's, and each 1/16th is taxed by the state each of those games is played in (note this doesn't apply to signing bonus, in which case it would apply to the state the team plays in).

Each game is taxed based upon state income tax rates. Obviously it is higher in states such as California and New York compared to states such as Idaho or North Carolina.

There are also 7 states without income taxes at all, so the income earned in these states would be immune from any state taxation. These states are Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota, Texas, Florida, and Alaska (note: many major fighting game events take place in these states, notably Dreamhack Austin, CEO, and EVO).

In the case of Smash, usually state governments see the money as too minuscule to enforce the tax for taxation, or in the case of large events such as a LCS Final, The DOTA Summit, Dreamhack, or ESL, it is often taxed automatically so the person or persons receiving the income earnings from the tournament doesn't have to do additional work (like the NFL example earlier).

There can be a few caveats here and there, but the globalization of travel, trade and income has made the income, accounting, and taxation system of America pretty straight-forward in this regard to avoid controversy. It was made specifically very simple for this reason as well.

If this was an issue, America wouldn't attract international sports stars to play on American teams such as retired MLS superstar David Beckham, the NBA's Paul Gasol, or the MLB's David Ortiz, as well as hundreds of other professional and amateur athletes who aren't American citizens.

\\

In the case of sponsorship taxes, that is done federally based on country of origin, in which case Leffen's earnings from TSM, Red Bull, and any other sponsors he had would not be something US tax officials have any legal claim over. Leffen's taxation in regards to sponsorship income would thus be exclusive to his home nation of Sweden.

\\

As for said person's claims from the post you are quoting, the person you are quoting is a Leffen hater, who, unlike yours truly, doesn't have any credits, certificates and degrees in taxation accounting and business at the collegiate (and probably even the high school) level. They are merely trying to garner up more hate on Leffen.

Said person did just quote this post above yours...

These two posters are just posting out of feelings of inferiority rather than taxation insight.

I hope they realize they are strong enough to get over that all on their own and choose to value themselves better and get a more positive outlook so they can contribute to making themselves and the world better, all of which can lead to a chain of new and exciting opportunities for them that otherwise they won't have.
What does any of this taxation and inferiority crap have to do with a specific player having some bad karma. The guy has no respect for Smash Bros history and even some other pros and generally asy the wrong things to get attention. That is the reason I don't like him, good player or not, people who talk trash in such a manner as he does are not likeable and play up to the low IQ, ADHD people such as those who frequent Twitch chats and spam memes.

Oh and FYI I have 2 degrees. One in web design/development and another in video game design/development.

Top Bottom