• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ledgehopped F-air

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I bet most people don't know of this, since it's pretty obscure and the timing is rather strict. However ledgehopped F-airs DO in fact autocancel.

Now the applications? If you know exactly what you're doing, it's very safe to throw out and is very helpful in general when you're at the edge.

So here's the breakdown of situations:

If your opponent shielded, you'll probably push them back far enough so that you can space away and then start over your edgecamping attempt. Or if you know they were going to shield, you can opt to not hit their shield and again restart your edgecamp attempt. More likely if they try to punish this, they will nick themselves on the weak hit of the F-air (especially if it's someone like Sonic making a lame attempt to charge F-smashes at the edge).

If you hit your opponent with either the strong or weak hit (and autocancel), you'll more than likely get back on stage safely. Your opponent will probably not be prepared for the fact you can autocancel so if they try to punish the weak hit, you'll probably get to shield and punish them.

Of course this doesn't completely solve the problem getting up from the ledge against Metaknight or Marth, but still better than nothing else.

So yes, try it out and see what you think.

Neb

Smash Lord
Do you mean ledge-drop > fair, or ledge-jump > fair?

I've been messing around with G&W's ledge-jump and have found it reaches great depth when you consider he maintains his SJ. There are numerous combination's, mix-ups, different ways to get back on the stage (etc) that you can exploit. G&W players shouldn't limit themselves to just the garden-variety nair, seeing his control from the ledge is at least twice the span as most are employing... Good post A2Z, swift and enlightening.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Do you mean ledge-drop > fair, or ledge-jump > fair?
No, I meant ledgehopping. As in press back the control stick to release from the edge, and then quickly do your midair jump, and F-air. Perfectly timed, this does not incur landing lag.

they just powershield you and punish
Then don't hit their shield.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Since you are talking about a situation in which you are jumping from the edge, then you can always DI away back off the stage if this wasn't successful. So I guess it's not a bad idea against characters that can't punish. But I still prefer my usual answer to everything; upB into them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As it turns out, a perfect ledgehopped F-air isn't EXACTLY an autocancel.

It actually fricken ends before you hit the ground!

What does this mean? If you try to buffer a C sticked F-smash, you'll actually buffer a F-air, but you'll autocancel the F-air and THEN you get to F-smash. So C stick twice if you're buffering a F-smash.

AND, you can D-air from a perfect F-air ledgehop.

Oh and by the way, you can F-air cancel the same way you can B-air cancel, but this is incredibly useless because the window is way more narrow and messing up puts you in landing lag. You can do it in such a way that you see the startup animation just saying.

One thing that can help you know whether or not you F-air ledgehopped properly is if you hear the beep for G&W's jump, you did it incorrectly. If you just hear the beep for his F-air while ledgehopping, then you most likely got it correct.

Top Bottom