• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgecamping/stalling Should Be Banned

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Edgehogging a recovering character is not broken, and is not even close to what this thread is talking about...

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
You're going to have to turn Brawl into a strategy game if youtry to enforce it in some complicated way, either ban it or find a way to counter it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
At a recent tourny I was at, a MK grabbed the ledge and camped there for a good 30 seconds while I waited for him in the center of the stage. He was losing so he obviously was being a coward and wouldn't come up to fight me, even though he's METAKNIGHT. I'm using Diddy so I position myself just right and begin spamming my peanut gun so it hits him while he's hanging on the ledge (this is the best way I can counter camping, i've been doing it forever) so it forces him to keep regrabbing the ledge with perfect timing otherwise he'll get hit. The problem with this is that if the MK is any good and has patience and wants to be a little *****, he can avoid every single peanut. I tried it against M2k's MK and he avoided every single one. Luckily for me, the MK I used this on in tourny wasn't very good so he got hit and eventually came up at which point I beat his camping *** into the ground.

cutter

Smash Champion
At a recent tourny I was at, a MK grabbed the ledge and camped there for a good 30 seconds while I waited for him in the center of the stage. He was losing so he obviously was being a coward and wouldn't come up to fight me, even though he's METAKNIGHT. I'm using Diddy so I position myself just right and begin spamming my peanut gun so it hits him while he's hanging on the ledge (this is the best way I can counter camping, i've been doing it forever) so it forces him to keep regrabbing the ledge with perfect timing otherwise he'll get hit. The problem with this is that if the MK is any good and has patience and wants to be a little *****, he can avoid every single peanut. I tried it against M2k's MK and he avoided every single one. Luckily for me, the MK I used this on in tourny wasn't very good so he got hit and eventually came up at which point I beat his camping *** into the ground.
Why didn't you just call a TO? If he's just going to stay on the ledge and keep being on it, I believe that is stalling.

Besides, if he was losing to begin with, you could have just waited for time to expire and win on lives/damage.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Why didn't you just call a TO? If he's just going to stay on the ledge and keep being on it, I believe that is stalling.

Besides, if he was losing to begin with, you could have just waited for time to expire and win on lives/damage.
That's what I did, but you see the thing with MK is that he could be losing by 150% and just get one up b on you at the last second and win the match. So even if I waited for the timer, there was always the chance he could run out and get that miracle up b for the win.

It hasn't officially been banned yet, so getting a TO wouldn't have done a **** thing.

cutter

Smash Champion
That's what I did, but you see the thing with MK is that he could be losing by 150% and just get one up b on you at the last second and win the match. So even if I waited for the timer, there was always the chance he could run out and get that miracle up b for the win.

It hasn't officially been banned yet, so getting a TO wouldn't have done a **** thing.
Uh... just stay away from the ledge? MK can't Up B you when you're well away from the ledge. And if he doesn't want to fight you and just sit and wait for you to come (like you described), that's HIS loss. He was losing to begin with.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I really think a potent way to shut down MK is with Pit. His combo abilities almost matches Metaknight, and they go nuts when you use vB and >B with actual skill. He's no pushover in the air either, but, as we all know, if he's hit during his ^B, he can't do it again, so gimping Pit is quite easy.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
ledgecamping shouldnt

i understand stalling but ledgecamping?

why should that be banned?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Because it leads to stalling. A MK who is ledgecamping isn't going to stop until you approach him so he can get a free up b kill. So if you never approach him, he's stalling.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
One question if you are playing a match against someone and you know he is stalling so the person should get disqualified how do you prove it to the tournament director/host that they are stalling because there not going to be watching your match.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
As I've said before, enforcing it would be the biggest problem. I'm not sure how we would deal with this. I guess if you just shout out that your opponent is camping, he will get scared and stop doing it.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
But the replays don't work like that it can only record for 3 minutes and most matches last like 4 or 5 and with stalling ledge camping they last like 6 minutes see how that doesn't work

Binx

Smash Master
Well, if they ledgecamp during the last 3 minutes then you should be able to save it and show that they did it excesively, maybe say they can only ledge camp for 30 seconds at a time.

GofG

Smash Champion
I don't know if many of you have read the various threads on hacking brawl, but one of the things that is being worked on is increasing the timelimit cap for recordings to 8 or 9 minutes. Just thought i'd mention that.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
The only problem I could see with that code is using up more then 1 block, but thats just a guess, I don't know how big a Wii block is, or how much 3 minute video capture takes of it.

As for the ledge stall, Why not just move away and let them do it? They'll either get bored and attack you, or get banned from stalling, its common sense. Not all that big of a deal.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The only problem I could see with that code is using up more then 1 block, but thats just a guess, I don't know how big a Wii block is, or how much 3 minute video capture takes of it.
It won't take up much space at all. It only save the inputs, not the video itself. It then replays it in the game engine. That's why occasionally a replay will play out slightly differently than the actual match.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
It won't take up much space at all. It only save the inputs, not the video itself. It then replays it in the game engine. That's why occasionally a replay will play out slightly differently than the actual match.
Ah, Alright, then if thats true, 9 minute videos would be perfectly fine to fit in one block, as all that could be saved in a tiny .TXT file if they wanted.

Top Bottom