• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ledge tactics

4Serial

Smash Lord
momentum cancel, i'm assuming, is when you get hit with a really strong move at a really high percent, and then you attack to stop the momentum. DI + this makes you live a lot longer than you really should.
also known as AMC (aerial momentum cancel), but people originally thought that airdodging or double jumping would save you, but attack works a lot better. The quicker the move comes out, the better. For Link, I think it's his b-air or n-air. Maybe f-air. D-air seems to help a lot against vertical KO's best though.

I've recently began using tap jump off, and it's weird not being after to u-smash and up+b out of shield so easily. It's still very possible though. I quickly shift my hand from a normal position to clawing, middle finger on shield, index on Y, and thumb on B. With left hand on up. I would use L to shield so i don't have to use my middle finger, but i use L for attack so i can bombsmash easier. It's really weird to get used to, but I am because I play melee... lol I regularly move my hand in different positions to do more technical stuff with Fox and Falco more easily (SHDLs, LHDLs, double or triple shines, random stuff).

Other than tap jump off, and L for attack, everything else is normal. To be honest, I don't think my game has changed very much from having tap jump off, but up+bing out of shield is somewhat harder, and I forget sometimes so i miss out on punishment and kills..... so i might turn it back on later.

Deva

Smash Lord
I never really liked claw style. Instead, I centered my thumb between the y and b buttons so I'd have access to a, y, and b at the same time with my thumb.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I never really liked claw style. Instead, I centered my thumb between the y and b buttons so I'd have access to a, y, and b at the same time with my thumb.
I don't like claw style either. I usually position my left thumb in between "X" and "A" so that I have perform fast aerials. I'm thinking about changed "R" the specials because I always use "L", but I don't know yet...

4Serial

Smash Lord
lol claw was weird for me at first too, but it helped me become more technical and consistent with a lot of stuff so i just got used to it

lmfao, my left hand is lazy too. I only use it for the control stick and I used my right for everything (in melee: shielding, wavedashing, l-canceling, teching, EVERYTHING)
but after a long day of insane meleeing, my left hand is a lot more sore than my right for some reason o_o

Deva

Smash Lord
yeah, no matter how many button combos you input, joy stick control takes way more effort, so while your right hand has the tech skill, your left has the precission and control. . .kinda like the left and right half of your brain o_0.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
umm...I use c stick for momentum cancels and DAC only. . . A button for aerials and everything else. . .

I have tap jump on cuz I double jump with the control stick. . . .

did I mention I'm noob . . .
!?!?!??!&*()%#&$()#*()$*$#&%#()

ur the person that beat DSF when he used his snake AND MK right? i rly dont think ur a noob.........................:chuckle:

Deva

Smash Lord
nah, I just meant with the controler style I use. Most good players use c stick and have tap jump off.

4Serial

Smash Lord
i dunno about tap jump off, but c-stick is something you must use o_o
I remember hearing about how some people like isai and silentspectre don't use the c-stick at all and that's pretty crazy lol
and someone else that plays fox uses the control stick for stuff and not x and y.. i think it was queendvs or something like that
people that can claw are amazing.. does m2k claw? i think he does

sasook

Smash Champion
i dunno about tap jump off, but c-stick is something you must use o_o
I remember hearing about how some people like isai and silentspectre don't use the c-stick at all and that's pretty crazy lol
and someone else that plays fox uses the control stick for stuff and not x and y.. i think it was queendvs or something like that
people that can claw are amazing.. does m2k claw? i think he does
Except for AT's and momentum canceling, I don't use the C stick. All my moves are performed with the A button. That's why I didn't get what the big deal was when people complained about upsmashing out of shield being difficult. Though that was a while ago.

D

Deleted member

lol deva is pretty much correct

cstick is #bad

momentum cancel, DAC and forward bair only kthx

Swordplay

Smash Lord
the only time i don't use a C-Stick is when recovering from a ledge.

In the air, using the jump button and sliding your thumb over to A is quicker than going to the C-Stick.

this can lead to faster and more precise areals but it sacrifices your control of your characters mobility.

I'm only willing to sacrifice this when I am on the ledge.

jiggz kirbz

Smash Journeyman
One thing to keep in mind, Brawl ledge hopping isnt the same as melee ledge hopping. In melee you had twice as many invincibility frames, so a ledge hop kept you invincible the whole time. In Brawl you not only need perfect timing, you still dont have invincibility at the end of the attack. This is why I ledge hop air dodge a lot. You're invincible the whole time getting to the stage. There's like, only a couple frames when you land that you can be punished, and it's really hard to punish. It's the safest method of recovering so mix it up, but this should be your primary recovery skill.
!!!
Thats easy!

Top Bottom