• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

League of Legends Champions for Smash

Which League of Legends Champion would you want to see?

• Garen

• Katarina

• Teemo

• Ahri

• Ryze

• Annie

• Ashe

• Ezreal

• Lux

• Yasuo

• Riven

• Jinx

• Miss Fortune

• Ekko

• Other

• Vi

• Lee Sin

Results are only viewable after voting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ahri as a rep would be so predictable and least exciting. I guess some people don't like interesting twists. Jinx is by far sensible LOL representation, honestly.
Honestly, I think a mage as a LoL rep is perfect, especially considering champions like Ahri, Lux and Ryze have kits that can't be easily replicated by other Smash characters. ADCs like Jinx could work too, I guess, but I dunno... I'll be frank and say that Ahri isn't my favorite champion of her category in League itself (that honor belongs to a certain tiny masterpiece of evil), but in the context of Smash? She'd be absolutely unique, not to mention hit that balance where she's relatively easy to implement compared to some more complex champions.

Considering the lore on magic that LoL runs on and how many play in mid lane... I think they're great representation. Though I'm certainly open to things like Jinx, Vi or Ezreal.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think a mage as a LoL rep is perfect, especially considering champions like Ahri, Lux and Ryze have kits that can't be easily replicated by other Smash characters. ADCs like Jinx could work too, I guess, but I dunno... I'll be frank and say that Ahri isn't my favorite champion of her category in League itself (that honor belongs to a certain tiny masterpiece of evil), but in the context of Smash? She'd be absolutely unique, not to mention hit that balance where she's relatively easy to implement compared to some more complex champions.

Considering the lore on magic that LoL runs on and how many play in mid lane... I think they're great representation. Though I'm certainly open to things like Jinx, Vi or Ezreal.
I'm a Jinx advocate in terms of LOL Smash speculation. Maybe Ahri would be "really" unique but its not inherently necessary. They'd still represent themselves based on very distinctive designs by its self. They don't have to be completely unique. Just stylistic and obviously different in terms of it. A mage as LOL rep? I dunno. Its a bit niche.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm a Jinx advocate in terms of LOL Smash speculation. Maybe Ahri would be "really" unique but its not inherently necessary. They'd still represent themselves based on very distinctive designs by its self. They don't have to be completely unique. Just stylistic and obviously different in terms of it. A mage as LOL rep? I dunno. Its a bit niche.
I mean, League doesn't really have one Champion as its central point. There are several figureheads for the game - this includes both Ahri and Jinx, as well as Ez, Ashe, Garen, Kat and several others who Riot used as "series symbols" over the years.

To be fair there are a few choices I'd consider boring (like Garen), but that's honestly just an opinion. Plus, there's more involved in representing a series than just distinct aesthetics - especially in MOBAs, which tend to be mechanic-heavy games at their core.

I'm keeping my options open, but right now Ahri seems like the best choice to me.

That said, can the people voting "other" tell who they'd like in the thread? I think by now only one or two have said anything about champs not in the list lol. I can't add them into the poll if I don't know there is demand.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So, thread collected quite a bit of dust after my last post, I see.

Here's a question for SKX31 SKX31 : we're not getting a character reveal tomorrow. But they need something before February and I really think TGA was a one-time deal.

So what's the chance that you were right and a Worlds reveal happens a few days after Terry? Just curious how you feel about that rn.

EDIT: Oops, it was Roberk Roberk , actually. My bad. I'm tagging you both either way lol.
A Worlds reveal could happen, but I'm starting to doubt it. The spotlight is on Terry atm, so I don't think they'd want to reveal another character so soon. I'd love to be wrong though. I guess they did do things like reveal Hero and Banjo at the same time and reveal Terry the day they released Banjo, so maybe a Worlds reveal in a couple days after Terry's video isn't too impossible.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A Worlds reveal could happen, but I'm starting to doubt it. The spotlight is on Terry atm, so I don't think they'd want to reveal another character so soon. I'd love to be wrong though. I guess they did do things like reveal Hero and Banjo at the same time and reveal Terry the day they released Banjo, so maybe a Worlds reveal in a couple days after Terry's video isn't too impossible.
Yeah, I feel like something would have been announced for the 10th if that was gonna be the case. Nintendo would need to redirect their audience to Worlds somehow.

Oh, here's something interesting: would you rather have a champion just bring, in terms of mechanics -
  1. Their own Passive
  2. A Cooldown mechanic of some kind on their specials (to emulate LoL inputs)
  3. A Summoner Spell mechanic (You'd choose a spell before the match)
  4. A combination of some or all of the above
What do you all think?

amageish

Smash Master
The idea of League getting a rep is... definitely not something I had seriously considered before, but it'd be interesting if nothing else!

Lux would be my subjective/biased pick, but realistically... It's hard to say. I guess Jinx, Vi, Ahri, or maaaaaybe Teemo? There are plenty of options though.

Oh, here's something interesting: would you rather have a champion just bring, in terms of mechanics -
  1. Their own Passive
  2. A Cooldown mechanic of some kind on their specials (to emulate LoL inputs)
  3. A Summoner Spell mechanic (You'd choose a spell before the match)
  4. A combination of some or all of the above
What do you all think?
I imagine the 2nd one would work the best, though I feel like it would probably just be one special that has a cooldown to make the UI more manageable. Having a cooldown on all specials sounds both hard to design and hard to balance properly...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The idea of League getting a rep is... definitely not something I had seriously considered before, but it'd be interesting if nothing else!

Lux would be my subjective/biased pick, but realistically... It's hard to say. I guess Jinx, Vi, Ahri, or maaaaaybe Teemo? There are plenty of options though.

I imagine the 2nd one would work the best, though I feel like it would probably just be one special that has a cooldown to make the UI more manageable. Having a cooldown on all specials sounds both hard to design and hard to balance properly...
Hey, nice to see you here! I'll be honest and say that, despite being a League player for a while now, I had never considered the idea seriously until a few months ago. I guess all the stuff we got in the Pass really opened my eyes to other possibilities.

One idea I had for mechanics is that the cooldowns could be simulated with just endlag. Doesn't need to be as much as LoL itself (that would be BAD, I tell you), but just give a bit of endlag to all specials. I think that could emphasize more careful and strategic play - poke and retreat, like a lot of fights in League.

About the Summoner Spells and Passives... I guess it depends on the Champion. Specifically, whether or not they have a spell that could serve as a Final Smash or not, in which case the last special move slot could be occupied by Summoner Spells.

For example - Ahri's Ult is arguably better suited as a recovery than a Final Smash, because of the nature of her dashes - so with her other skills, that's all 4 special slots accounted for. Lux' Final Spark, on the other hand, feels more like FS material than a regular special move... but that would leave a spot open on her kit, where SS could come in to fill the gap.

amageish

Smash Master
Hey, nice to see you here! I'll be honest and say that, despite being a League player for a while now, I had never considered the idea seriously until a few months ago. I guess all the stuff we got in the Pass really opened my eyes to other possibilities.

One idea I had for mechanics is that the cooldowns could be simulated with just endlag. Doesn't need to be as much as LoL itself (that would be BAD, I tell you), but just give a bit of endlag to all specials. I think that could emphasize more careful and strategic play - poke and retreat, like a lot of fights in League.

About the Summoner Spells and Passives... I guess it depends on the Champion. Specifically, whether or not they have a spell that could serve as a Final Smash or not, in which case the last special move slot could be occupied by Summoner Spells.

For example - Ahri's Ult is arguably better suited as a recovery than a Final Smash, because of the nature of her dashes - so with her other skills, that's all 4 special slots accounted for. Lux' Final Spark, on the other hand, feels more like FS material than a regular special move... but that would leave a spot open on her kit, where SS could come in to fill the gap.
Hello! I definitely get that. The Pass has definitely started opening doors, plus the effective confirmation of Wild Rift on Switch certainly doesn't hurt!

Ooooooo, that would work very well. It'd avoid trying to put a feel League icons next to the stock icons, which is what I was thinking of obviously haha. It may be a bit complicated.... I definitely like the idea of it being a fighter that values strategic retreats either way.

Yeah... It's difficult to speculate on gameplay when we have an entire series worth of characters to consider haha. That comparison does make sense though. I feel like it would also make sense for a fanservice-y group attack Final Smash, even if that's not exactly born out of the mechanics of League, just because those are popular and fun?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hello! I definitely get that. The Pass has definitely started opening doors, plus the effective confirmation of Wild Rift on Switch certainly doesn't hurt!

Ooooooo, that would work very well. It'd avoid trying to put a feel League icons next to the stock icons, which is what I was thinking of obviously haha. It may be a bit complicated.... I definitely like the idea of it being a fighter that values strategic retreats either way.

Yeah... It's difficult to speculate on gameplay when we have an entire series worth of characters to consider haha. That comparison does make sense though. I feel like it would also make sense for a fanservice-y group attack Final Smash, even if that's not exactly born out of the mechanics of League, just because those are popular and fun?
Hoooly ****, I was not aware of these job postings! Thanks for that!

Realistically, I feel like there's about 20~30 Champions at most who would seriously be in contention - as they'd need to be relatively popular to rep League as a whole and also not have any crazy mechanic that might not work in Smash.

A group attack FS makes sense to me, because teamfights are what League is all about past the laning phase. The teamfights are what every spectator looks forward to in the championships, so if we got an Evo Moment 37 reference in Ken's trailer, i don't see why not reference teamfights in a Champion's FS.

I guess they could still put one or two icons close to the champion to reference their Passives/Summoner Spell, but two small squares wouldn't clog the UI as much, methinks.

Also... what would be League's series symbol?

amageish

Smash Master
Hoooly ****, I was not aware of these job postings! Thanks for that!

Realistically, I feel like there's about 20~30 Champions at most who would seriously be in contention - as they'd need to be relatively popular to rep League as a whole and also not have any crazy mechanic that might not work in Smash.

A group attack FS makes sense to me, because teamfights are what League is all about past the laning phase. The teamfights are what every spectator looks forward to in the championships, so if we got an Evo Moment 37 reference in Ken's trailer, i don't see why not reference teamfights in a Champion's FS.

I guess they could still put one or two icons close to the champion to reference their Passives/Summoner Spell, but two small squares wouldn't clog the UI as much, methinks.

Also... what would be League's series symbol?
Oh, no problem! Yeah, it's definitely a very major boost in their favour. I don't think you need your game on Nintendo consoles to be in Smash, but it definitely is a good sign.

Agreed. There are so many options and it feels like they keep on adding more characters who become new mascots. Like, when I first encountered League, Annie felt like the defacto mascot, but nowadays I don't know if she'd crack top 10... Also, I just realized that Jinx first came out 6 years ago and now I feel old.

Very true. I do think it would be slightly weird to not have the ult as the final smash, but also fanservice group attack final smashes are a lot of fun.

Some sort of UI change seems likely, especially if there is a passive ability...

Series symbol is a challenge.. It could be boring and just be the L, honestly... Otherwise, maybe a variant on the ranking tiers?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh, no problem! Yeah, it's definitely a very major boost in their favour. I don't think you need your game on Nintendo consoles to be in Smash, but it definitely is a good sign.

Agreed. There are so many options and it feels like they keep on adding more characters who become new mascots. Like, when I first encountered League, Annie felt like the defacto mascot, but nowadays I don't know if she'd crack top 10... Also, I just realized that Jinx first came out 6 years ago and now I feel old.

Very true. I do think it would be slightly weird to not have the ult as the final smash, but also fanservice group attack final smashes are a lot of fun.

Some sort of UI change seems likely, especially if there is a passive ability...

Series symbol is a challenge.. It could be boring and just be the L, honestly... Otherwise, maybe a variant on the ranking tiers?
Yeah, fanservice attacks are great, especially with champions that have Ults that are kinda geared towards utility and movement rather than attack (like Ahri and Ryze).

Speaking of Ryze... wouldn't it be funny if they pulled content from all of his versions to make his Smash moveset?

For the emblem, it could be a mix of the L inside the ranking shield... the Summoner's Rift symbol (as in, the one representing all lanes)... maybe a crystal for the Nexus? Dunno, there's not really a definitive "series symbol".

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, fanservice attacks are great, especially with champions that have Ults that are kinda geared towards utility and movement rather than attack (like Ahri and Ryze).

Speaking of Ryze... wouldn't it be funny if they pulled content from all of his versions to make his Smash moveset?

For the emblem, it could be a mix of the L inside the ranking shield... the Summoner's Rift symbol (as in, the one representing all lanes)... maybe a crystal for the Nexus? Dunno, there's not really a definitive "series symbol".
Definitely true!

LOL. I hadn't considered that. Certain characters could also have classic and modern varient skins too...

Yeah, the L would make sense to me... I could see the rift or Nexus symbols, but neither strike me as especially iconic? Idk. They could also tailor it a bit to whatever Champion is chosen...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's Tinfoil Hat Time! Don't take this too seriously.

So All-Star 2019 was announced some time ago and... it ends on December 7th. The one-year anniversary of Ultimate. I don't think there will be any big announcements there, especially considering a new Champion was just shown, but when it comes to displaying things directly to an audience, especially the Chinese audience, it would be a good opportunity for a League rep. So a joint announcement is a possibility - infinitely small, but it is a possibility regardless.

I mean, look at last year's viewership statistics. Specifically, the Chinese ones - holy ****. That region flat out carries the League broadcasts alone.

Considering the data SKX31 SKX31 posted in the Newcomer Thread some time ago, I'm convinced that if a LoL rep is in the game, it needs to be a joint announcement at a Direct and a Riot event at the same time, as crazy as it sounds.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although I haven't played League, I'm very familiar with the series now. Every so often, y'all drop informative posts about it, and I always enjoy that, too. I like the characters and understand the appeal. I can't wait for Riot's new fighting game.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm fond of Taliyah. I like her design, backstory, powers and theme song and stuff. She rocks (pun intended). If I played, that's who I'd main.

But apparently, she's... not popular. The dev's haven't given my girl love in the form of alternate costumes. I don't even play the game and I feel Taliyah mains suffering, haha. I saw this video in a Taliyah fangroup and it was funny (and sad). I think she would've been perfect in that True Damage group.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Although I haven't played League, I'm very familiar with the series now. Every so often, y'all drop informative posts about it, and I always enjoy that, too. I like the characters and understand the appeal. I can't wait for Riot's new fighting game.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm fond of Taliyah. I like her design, backstory, powers and theme song and stuff. She rocks (pun intended). If I played, that's who I'd main.

But apparently, she's... not popular. The dev's haven't given my girl love in the form of alternate costumes. I don't even play the game and I feel Taliyah mains suffering, haha. I saw this video in a Taliyah fangroup and it was funny (and sad).
She's pretty cool, yes. Haven't touched mid lane in a very long time, but I remember her being played in jungle during championships not too long ago (one or two seasons maybe).

What you're describing is something that I feel has happened to most Champions at some point - League has a thing where most characters are meant to be played in specific ways, to the point where Riot will flat out nerf "unorthodox" options to the ground sometimes, even if they're not OP. This has been common practice since... season 4, If I'm not mistaken, though I admittedly didn't play during that time so I can't give a concrete answer.

So depending on what the next balance patches do... yeah, some Champions just "become unpopular" all of a sudden, though the reverse also happens. That's why most people I've known who played League for a really long time play several Champions at once instead of just sticking with one or two like in a fighting game. In the end, it can give you more options.

...Well, that or Riot just ignores the Champion after releasing them, like they did with Aatrox for the longest time.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Wow, with all of these disconfirmations I think League has a legitimate chance for FP5, keeping my fingers crossed. On one hand, I think it's pretty suspicious that all of these companies are actually being disconfirmed, but on the other, I'm really excited for a LoL rep at TGA.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wow, with all of these disconfirmations I think League has a legitimate chance for FP5, keeping my fingers crossed. On one hand, I think it's pretty suspicious that all of these companies are actually being disconfirmed, but on the other, I'm really excited for a LoL rep at TGA.
Yeah, let's see what happens. I'm working on... something, might be done by tomorrow. It's so bizarre that we're in a timeline where the top contenders are Sony, Valve, Type-Moon, Riot, Rockstar and other "never evers"...

amageish

Smash Master
Well, no Smash at TGAs, but some exciting League spin-off reveals!

amageish

Smash Master
With that, we have not one, not two, but THREE spin-offs, focusing on Vi, Thresh and Ekko, respectively!

Plus the fighting game, that adventure game and Legends of Runeterra. What a time to be a League fan.
I missed the Vi one entirely, but that's awesome to hear! The Ekko one looks super cool if they use that trailer's artstyle.

League's suddenly going from a singular game to a franchise is an impressive transformation to see. I don't think I've seen a longstanding franchise do this sort of thing before. Here's hoping it pays off for everyone involved.

Roberk

Smash Champion
While a LoL fighter wasn't an expectation, I was super hyped for the Thresh and Ekko spin-offs! Not sure about the Ekko one since that dev is a lot more new, but the Thresh one sounds like they've got some good experience under their belt.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I missed the Vi one entirely, but that's awesome to hear! The Ekko one looks super cool if they use that trailer's artstyle.

League's suddenly going from a singular game to a franchise is an impressive transformation to see. I don't think I've seen a longstanding franchise do this sort of thing before. Here's hoping it pays off for everyone involved.
Let's keep an eye out to see if these games will end up on Switch, too. Not that it's a requirement at this point, but hey, seeing them reach a brand new target audience will be great!

While a LoL fighter wasn't an expectation, I was super hyped for the Thresh and Ekko spin-offs! Not sure about the Ekko one since that dev is a lot more new, but the Thresh one sounds like they've got some good experience under their belt.
Indeed! To recap: the Thresh one is apparently a turn-based RPG similar to Battlechasers that will probably focus on the backstory of the Blessed Isles (now Shadow Isles) as well as Bilgewater, so we're probably seeing faces like Gangplank, Miss Fortune, Kalista and maybe some other residents of these places as well.

For the Ekko one... I'm expecting the Zaun and Piltover cast - though that one seems more focused on Ekko directly, so I'm not sure if we'll get too many characters besides him.

Here's hoping Riot's efforts bear fruit!

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
My "Other" vote goes to Sona but i wouldn`t mind seeing Ahri in Smash since they`re both my favorite League characters.

amageish

Smash Master
Let's keep an eye out to see if these games will end up on Switch, too. Not that it's a requirement at this point, but hey, seeing them reach a brand new target audience will be great!
I'd be surprised if at least some of the spin-offs didn't end up on Switch as well, if not all of them...

I'm definitely curious what other spin-offs we'll be getting... At this point, Riot could realistically do their own Nintendo Direct thing to discuss all of their many spin-offs and side-projects...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
My "Other" vote goes to Sona but i wouldn`t mind seeing Ahri in Smash since they`re both my favorite League characters.
Noted! If more people show interest in Sona, I'll add her to the list. Also, the link to Ahri's thread is just a few posts back, so if you want to support, you can check that one out!

I'd be surprised if at least some of the spin-offs didn't end up on Switch as well, if not all of them...

I'm definitely curious what other spin-offs we'll be getting... At this point, Riot could realistically do their own Nintendo Direct thing to discuss all of their many spin-offs and side-projects...
Yeah, basically this. Being able to play on the go is a big incentive for them, I imagine, especially with their new mobile ventures. With maybe the exception of their new FPS and the League fighting game (these won't be out for a while and I can see them being PC-first), I don't see a reason for their other spinoffs to not be on the Switch, really.

amageish

Smash Master
Happy 2020 everyone! Here's looking forward to a good year of many League spin-offs.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It's been a long time since I booted up a run in The Rift, but last I checked back when the most popular Champions among the mainstream were Ahri,Jinx,Garen, Katarina,Teemo, Sona,Draven, Lux and Ezreal so they could be frontrunners.

I'm thinking hogh chances we'd get someone from Demacia or Noxus, since that's the core conflict of the story(or was back when I played it anyway.)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So, I finally read my first major introduction to League lore in the form of the Lux comic book compilation... Here's some thoughts.

I was aware of the basic "Lux is a magic person in magic-free country," but I was not expecting nearly as interesting of a take on passive versus active resistance to oppression and the how privilege blinds (heh, light puns) you to the suffering of others. I definitely got some Professor Lux vs Sylagneto vibes from it, but it was unique enough overall - I definitely liked the parallels as Lux goes between helping Sylas and Garen during the battle scenes. The ending with Garen and Lux saying goodbye also definitely tugged at my heartstrings. Solid read and generally reccomendable. Hopefully we do get a spin-off set in Demacia as part of their ongoing "give everyone a spin-off" mentality.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Nice to see the thread getting more love!

It's been a long time since I booted up a run in The Rift, but last I checked back when the most popular Champions among the mainstream were Ahri,Jinx,Garen, Katarina,Teemo, Sona,Draven, Lux and Ezreal so they could be frontrunners.

I'm thinking hogh chances we'd get someone from Demacia or Noxus, since that's the core conflict of the story(or was back when I played it anyway.)
The only problem with Demacia/Noxus is that the champions that usually represent them as their "faces" tend to be Garen/Lux and Katarina/Darius. Lux and Kat are fine, but Garen and Darius would be... really boring in the context of Smash. Garen in particular is purposefully made to be a really simple champion, so I dunno if he would make for the most interesting League rep, and this is coming from someone who still plays him occasionally.

So, I finally read my first major introduction to League lore in the form of the Lux comic book compilation... Here's some thoughts.

I was aware of the basic "Lux is a magic person in magic-free country," but I was not expecting nearly as interesting of a take on passive versus active resistance to oppression and the how privilege blinds (heh, light puns) you to the suffering of others. I definitely got some Professor Lux vs Sylagneto vibes from it, but it was unique enough overall - I definitely liked the parallels as Lux goes between helping Sylas and Garen during the battle scenes. The ending with Garen and Lux saying goodbye also definitely tugged at my heartstrings. Solid read and generally reccomendable. Hopefully we do get a spin-off set in Demacia as part of their ongoing "give everyone a spin-off" mentality.
The lore bits of League can be really interesting, especially after the revamps. League began as this "blue nation vs red nation" thing, in a way, but now the lore has some real good bits. Take Senna's champion reveal - she was speculated for a very long time among fans. My personal favorite in terms of ludonarrative champions are Rakan and Xayah - the way their personality and the fact they're a couple translates to gameplay was a really well done job.

But yeah, more spinoffs focusing on different characters would make me really happy.

amageish

Smash Master
The only problem with Demacia/Noxus is that the champions that usually represent them as their "faces" tend to be Garen/Lux and Katarina/Darius. Lux and Kat are fine, but Garen and Darius would be... really boring in the context of Smash. Garen in particular is purposefully made to be a really simple champion, so I dunno if he would make for the most interesting League rep, and this is coming from someone who still plays him occasionally.

The lore bits of League can be really interesting, especially after the revamps. League began as this "blue nation vs red nation" thing, in a way, but now the lore has some real good bits. Take Senna's champion reveal - she was speculated for a very long time among fans. My personal favorite in terms of ludonarrative champions are Rakan and Xayah - the way their personality and the fact they're a couple translates to gameplay was a really well done job.

But yeah, more spinoffs focusing on different characters would make me really happy.
Well, Darius would be the first axe-weilder in Smash, which is something... though, yeah, admittedly that's fairly boring by League weapon standards. Garen, meanwhile, would be fairly mundane for sure. In fact, I feel like he'd probably get a significant amount of salt for being so comparatively-normal.

Yeah, it seems like it's really gotten more complex and I am definitely impressed with how rich it is now that I'm actually reading up on it. It's also cool when there are non-champions in the story who become champions later... I only find it impressive that the Lux story had only three champions in it while still having more engaging characters to the side and being in one of the largest countries in the lore.

The spin-off thing does make me wonder about Smash though... I imagine that any League character who got into Smash would suddenly be seen as the "mascot," in spite of League being an ensemble game. Do you think they'd play into this with spin-offs (ex/ pick a character who is also a major presence in the card game, playable in the fighting game, and maybe has their own indie game through the forge program) or would they try to balance out representation and pick someone who may not be in every other League product on launch?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, Darius would be the first axe-weilder in Smash, which is something... though, yeah, admittedly that's fairly boring by League weapon standards. Garen, meanwhile, would be fairly mundane for sure. In fact, I feel like he'd probably get a significant amount of salt for being so comparatively-normal.

Yeah, it seems like it's really gotten more complex and I am definitely impressed with how rich it is now that I'm actually reading up on it. It's also cool when there are non-champions in the story who become champions later... I only find it impressive that the Lux story had only three champions in it while still having more engaging characters to the side and being in one of the largest countries in the lore.

The spin-off thing does make me wonder about Smash though... I imagine that any League character who got into Smash would suddenly be seen as the "mascot," in spite of League being an ensemble game. Do you think they'd play into this with spin-offs (ex/ pick a character who is also a major presence in the card game, playable in the fighting game, and maybe has their own indie game through the forge program) or would they try to balance out representation and pick someone who may not be in every other League product on launch?
Yeah, Darius at least uses and axe, plus his grab and the move with lifesteal. But compared to other champions, he is really mundane, yes.

I feel like as far as Smash is concerned, they would have to pick someone who is already seen as a "face" of LoL. While Riot certainly tries to balance things out and their new games are great opportunities to bring new faces to the spotlight, when it comes to a crossover like Smash, they would need to pick someone who is already well known in order to "rep" the game. But I do think they can balance things out with their own products.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, Darius at least uses and axe, plus his grab and the move with lifesteal. But compared to other champions, he is really mundane, yes.

I feel like as far as Smash is concerned, they would have to pick someone who is already seen as a "face" of LoL. While Riot certainly tries to balance things out and their new games are great opportunities to bring new faces to the spotlight, when it comes to a crossover like Smash, they would need to pick someone who is already well known in order to "rep" the game. But I do think they can balance things out with their own products.
True. Has Smash had anyone besides Robin have lifesteal ability? That would be fun, though yeah. Hard to beat the more magical and/or technologically impressive characters.

Oh, they definitely wouldn't pick someone currently obscure for Smash, but I'm thinking that, if this planned out in advance, they could maybe not have whoever is in Smash be in Riot's fighting game at launch. Alternatively, they could just put that character in literally everything and actually embrace one character as a primary-ish mascot. Both seem to have ups and downs, as obviously Smash promotion is great even for an already-iconic character.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Oh. A league thread is a thing. This is essentially what I've been looking for.

Should I make a large post of all my thoughts on the subject or chop it up into rep/mii costume/ stage etc sections?

Also Other > Irelia.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh. A league thread is a thing. This is essentially what I've been looking for.

Should I make a large post of all my thoughts on the subject or chop it up into rep/mii costume/ stage etc sections?

Also Other > Irelia.
Honestly, whatever you'd like! This place can always use some more activity. Though I suppose dividing stuff into topics can keep the conversation going longer.

The Ahri thread is also a thing. I think the link is in the OP or if not, just a few posts back.

Which reminds me - should I add you as supporters, P.Kat P.Kat and KatKit KatKit ? I forgot to ask, actually, my b.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
It's not Smash related, but it's great news nonetheless. The meek have inherited the earth, baby!

I like how they saved the best for last, and wrote her name on its own page (and underlined it in all caps)!

Anyways, I was going to post this here after I made some for 1 or 2 more League characters (BTW, Ahri might be one of those characters; feel free to add me in the support group), but since I'm posting now, I might as well celebrate the occasion. So... here's the Taliyah moveset concept I came up with (although I think most of y'all already saw it).

League of Legends has dozens of awesome characters, but I'm going to highlight one that's taken for granite. Riot Games knows that something as insignificant as a pebble holds infinite potential, and I see so much potential in this character: Taliyah, The Stoneweaver. Sorry, Malphite

Taliyah telepathically controls rocks, so her playstyle revolves around manipulating the battlefield itself; she gives stage control an entirely new meaning. Her goal isn't to simply attack opponents, but to also use the surrounding area to play to her strengths and fully utilize her special moves: many of which react to one another, and all of which are weaker while she's airborne. Taliyah is far stronger on the ground, and she can use her abilities to make it difficult for opponents to approach. Her attacks have incredible range and unique disjointed properties, and a special move that can push/pull grounded enemies farther/closer to her if it lands.

Neutral Special: Threaded Volley; Worked Ground (passive ability)
Press the special button to make 5 giant rocks twirl around Taliyah. The rocks block projectiles, but do not reflect them. Taliyah is able to move around after summoning the rocks, but she's unable to grab opponents while they are active. Press the button again to throw them. The first rock that hits deals the most damage (8%); the following deal 1% each if they land.

Worked Ground: When Threaded Volley is used on land, it leaves a circular marking around the immediate vicinity where it was used (roughly 1/3 of Battlefield). Moving in that area on the ground gives Taliyah a speed boost!

Normally, rocks thrown by Threaded Volley fly straight forward; however, they can be launched at an upward angle by using her...

Side Special: Seismic Shove

This is a disjoint attack; its range remains constant, but its distance increases the longer it is held! Tilt :GCR: and the special button to hit opponents away from you.

However, tap :GCR: while pressing the special button to pull opponents toward you instead.

The mound created by Seismic Shove remains on the stage for up to 8 seconds, or until the opponent destroys it. Throwing rocks from Taliyah's Neutral Special causes them to fly upward at an angle.

When used in the air, Taliyah simply jumps upward off of a rock. It deals no damage, but it doubles as a vertical recovery.

Seismic Shove can be used in tandem with...

Down Special: Unraveled Earth
Taliyah stumps on the ground, and little rock traps pop up in front of her. It deals no damage on initial impact, but it slows down opponents walking over it. After 5 seconds, the rocks explode and deal minor damage.

However, opponents pushed/pulled by Seismic Shove will instantly trigger the explosion, and it will deal extra damage.

Charge to increase its area of effect; a fully charged attack takes up 1/2 of Battlefield!

Up Special: Weaver's Wall

Grounded version is an unorthodox yet useful Up Special that quickly propels Taliyah forward; use whenever you want to effectively close the gap between you and the opponent. Multi-hitting attack. Press the jump button to hop into the air, or press the special button again to cancel it. If Taliyah is hit, the attack ends prematurely.

Aerial version travels upward diagonally, and covers less distance.

Dash Animation:

Rapid Jab Attack:
She just casually stands there while throwing a bunch of tiny rocks at you.

Smash Attack: Rock(on) Smash
Taliyah throws up the "rock on" finger gesture. The rocks move behind her and deal damage as she charges the attack, similar to when Corrin revvs up her chainsaw. It's a disjoint attack with slow startup, but good range and deals a decent amount of damage.

Down Smash: LoL
It looks exactly like that, glitter and all! Stylish multi-hitting attack. If it misses opponents, it still has a very small windbox.

Up Smash:
It is Taliyah's fastest smash attack. It hits in front of and directly above her. In stereotypical geokinetic fashion, it also blocks projectiles!

Up tilt:
Two part attack. Press tilt and the button for Taliyah to raise her arm upward, which deals weak damage. Press the A button again to cause a rock pile to sprout upward.

Forward Tilt:
She steps forward and kicks rocks at you! Fast attack with decent range.

Down Air:
She drops a rock down below. It can be reflected. It's a good follow-up attack after using the grounded version of her Weaver's Wall Up Special and jumping in the air.

Back Air:
A decent multihitting attack that's good for spacing and edgeguarding.

Up Air:

A somewhat reliable tool for Taliyah to deal with pesky airborne opponents. However, it doesn't travel far before the rocks break, and it can be reflected.

Down Throw:
It would be wrong if Taliyah didn't have at least one move that buries opponents, so yeah... Down throw buries. Try to time it with her Unraveled Earth down special, for a cool combo extension!

Forward Throw: Naturally, she'd have at least one Toph reference.
Taliyah does a weak chop and then yeets you with powerful Earthbending Stoneweaving. Is a kill throw.

Taliyah has neat little interaction taunt things in League, so they'd use these (the first minute of the vid is pretty much taunts), but this is basically the best one.

She happily sits on a floating rock, sways from side-to-side, and kicks her legs around!

Victory Animation:

The League of Legend developers are huge Smash fans, so I took time with this one. Many of the images I used are from Taliyah's concept art. I've never played the game, but I did a ton of research and tried my absolute best to make her as true to the character as possible, while still making her hypothetical Smash Bros. transition as fun and balanced as possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good luck for tomorrow!

There may be no huge rumours for a LoL rep, but Sakurai is quite known for doing the unexpected at times.

Top Bottom