• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In fairness to that one, people are currently thinking "that game didn't have a spirits event despite being released, go figure". We're at the stage of every game character under the sun being scrutinized as likely.

The only thing we have to go on from is a recent comment Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did in relation to the contacts he's talked to, while we were talking about the likelihood of FP5 being someone that's either talked or not talked about:

Basically, a "should have been obvious in hindsight" kind of situation is what we'll deal with within the next two months.
5 isn't Astral Chain. My contacts have noted the lack of Astral Chain content though and have their own predictions about the future of it, making mention that Nintendo has probably purposely delayed certain spirit events for one reason or another. One of my contacts even noted that there were supposedly plans to make Astral Chain a trilogy (is this true? I don't know the series or follow news for it) so it's current absence may point to plans later down the line, whether it's spirit events or Mii costumes or, hell, a playable character. I dunno.

amageish

Smash Master
5 isn't Astral Chain. My contacts have noted the lack of Astral Chain content though and have their own predictions about the future of it, making mention that Nintendo has probably purposely delayed certain spirit events for one reason or another. One of my contacts even noted that there were supposedly plans to make Astral Chain a trilogy (is this true? I don't know the series or follow news for it) so it's current absence may point to plans later down the line, whether it's spirit events or Mii costumes or, hell, a playable character.
Oh. Well, there goes that Astral Chain idea haha.

As for it being a trilogy, I believe that was a mistranslation from E3 interviews with the head developer. They want future games, but not a trilogy per say.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Spirit events are very inconsistent.

You have games that get Spirit Events months in advance (Link's Awakening) Spirit events that come months later (Tetris 99) or right around when their games come out (Pokemon Sword/Shield)

Its not really worth banging your head over.

Not sure what to think over the lack of LMJ Deluxe spirit event though, or Yokai Watch. Level-5 will probably get something eventually I'd imagine...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, it's bleeding weird to completely ignore Three Houses (which is only one of this year's biggest games) for no reason at all. Not wanting to include characters from it for now is one thing, but not even a spirit? And no, I don't believe that FE Heroes gets in the way when the mobile department doesn't even affect what Sora is doing.

Apparently the spirit team thinks it's more important to have an event about trousers. :drshrug:

5 isn't Astral Chain.
So much for that then. At this stage it really does feel like we're all going to be blindsided by whoever's coming next. They may make :ultpiranha: look like an obvious pick.

that covers everyone then
Specifically, we're trying to narrow it down a tad...

amageish

Smash Master

You have games that get Spirit Events months in advance (Link's Awakening) Spirit events that come months later (Tetris 99) or right around when their games come out (Pokemon Sword/Shield)

Then you have things like the Resident Evil spirits, that just happen with no real explanation. It's not keeping me up at night or anything, but it is odd for sure.

So much for that then. At this stage it really does feel like we're all going to be blindsided by whoever's coming next. They may make :ultpiranha: look like an obvious pick.
I mean, I don't think they could top Plant, as even if it is another mob-type pick, we at least have Planty as precedent. Expectations pre-Plant-reveal were also much higher then they are now as the Grinch leak was generally considered "confirmed," at least in the circles I ran in at the time...

Granted, I would be pretty shocked if it was a mob-type pick from a franchise currently without playable representation in Smash...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then you have things like the Resident Evil spirits, that just happen with no real explanation. It's not keeping me up at night or anything, but it is odd for sure.

I mean, I don't think they could top Plant, as even if it is another mob-type pick, we at least have Planty as precedent. Expectations pre-Plant-reveal were also much higher then they are now as the Grinch leak was generally considered "confirmed," at least in the circles I ran in at the time...

Granted, I would be pretty shocked if it was a mob-type pick from a franchise currently without playable representation in Smash...
The one thing that does make one take pause is that insiders said that RE's being passed over for "political reasons", whatever that even means. In any case, the only thing for sure is that they're narrowing down which series and characters they think can merit an addition with fun moveset potential.

I mean more in the sense that it could be a character from a series that has somehow not been brought up much to the point that it's practically non-existent.

Unexpected does not = mook-type every time. :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:

amageish

Smash Master
The one thing that does make one take pause is that insiders said that RE's being passed over for "political reasons", whatever that even means. In any case, the only thing for sure is that they're narrowing down which series and characters they think can merit an addition with fun moveset potential.
Um. Pardon? That's a weird phrase; I hadn't heard that before... I guess it could be in reference to them using guns? The pass began with the 1-2 punch of Persona and Dragon Quest, so it's not like they're avoiding franchises that contain political messaging or have had controversies surrounding their content... Either way, yeah, not worth looking into that as a metric to argue for/against possible future DLC characters...

I mean more in the sense that it could be a character from a series that has somehow not been brought up much to the point that it's practically non-existent.

Unexpected does not = mook-type every time. :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:
Yeah, that's true on both fronts. It'll be interesting to see what happens regardless, especially as they'll need a stage, music, and a spirit board. If it's, like, Mx. Labo, then it'd be cool to see what stage they go with...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Not sure what to think over the lack of LMJ Deluxe spirit event though, or Yokai Watch. Level-5 will probably get something eventually I'd imagine...
i nearly posted something along those lines myself

Specifically, we're trying to narrow it down a tad...
every time we do we just end up having to include everyone again

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, a new Yokai Watch has been revealed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/level-5_ceo_reveals_new_yo-kai_watch_game

Seems to be the first one that's outright based on an anime spin-off.

Um. Pardon? That's a weird phrase; I hadn't heard that before... I guess it could be in reference to them using guns? The pass began with the 1-2 punch of Persona and Dragon Quest, so it's not like they're avoiding franchises that contain political messaging or have had controversies surrounding their content... Either way, yeah, not worth looking into that as a metric to argue for/against possible future DLC characters...

Yeah, that's true on both fronts. It'll be interesting to see what happens regardless, especially as they'll need a stage, music, and a spirit board. If it's, like, Mx. Labo, then it'd be cool to see what stage they go with...
Well it isn't guns, politics or even the STARS seal, so we aren't able to figure out what the actual reason is. Maybe it's something as simple as the staff at Capcom thinking Sakurai wouldn't be interested in a RE character and that lead to friction, I'm honestly just as confused as you are. I suppose we'll never know, it's just one of life's little mysteries.

I'd be quite surprised, of all the things to disprove the Mii costume theory with.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a hard time believing there won't be Level 5 content of some kind in Smash Ultimate's life cycle. Layton's practically at the top of the list for it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have a hard time believing there won't be Level 5 content of some kind in Smash Ultimate's life cycle. Layton's practically at the top of the list for it.
It's too early to tell what'll happen, I think we're looking at a few more years of support once January blows in. The question is, how many, and how long will Sak extend things.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah i'd be pretty surprised if they didn't at the very least get a spirit event of some sort throughout Ultimate's entire DLC life cycle...

At least Nintendo has shown to have a pretty healthy relationship with the company over the years. I'm not quite as sure on Sakurai though as I don't really know much about his history with the company.

He was in that talkshow with Hino where Layton was requested to both of them and they seem to follow each other on Twitter so I'd imagine their at least in good terms with each other...

amageish

Smash Master
Well it isn't guns, politics or even the STARS seal, so we aren't able to figure out what the actual reason is. Maybe it's something as simple as the staff at Capcom thinking Sakurai wouldn't be interested in a RE character and that lead to friction, I'm honestly just as confused as you are. I suppose we'll never know, it's just one of life's little mysteries.
Hm, yeah... Maybe it was a debate over which RE character it should be? Though as you say, we'll never know....

By the way, a new Yokai Watch has been revealed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/level-5_ceo_reveals_new_yo-kai_watch_game

Seems to be the first one that's outright based on an anime spin-off.
Well, that's an understated way to do an announcement... Can you imagine if the next Layton game was just casually dropped via screenshot on Twitter?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id hope so, just one little thing. though i just hope its not from that izumi 11 (or whatever) some on layton or yo-kai

It's at least something. All that we SNK fans had to go on from for a time was that anecdote about Sak beating someone at King of Fighters '95.
whod have thought hed turn out to be quite the snk fan

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, that's an understated way to do an announcement... Can you imagine if the next Layton game was just casually dropped via screenshot on Twitter?
Thats... kind of what they did with the HD remasters... if that counts...

I wonder how they will reveal their future projects though. How many are left slated for 2020?
They got Inazuma Eleven Ares for Spring if I'm not mistaken and a number of games still in the pipelines for a Western release. Most notably Snack World.

They will probably have to announce some new upcoming games once Inazuma Eleven finally releases.

amageish

Smash Master
Thats... kind of what they did with the HD remasters... if that counts...

I wonder how they will reveal their future projects though. How many are left slated for 2020?
They got Inazuma Eleven Ares for Spring if I'm not mistaken and a number of games still in the pipelines for a Western release. Most notably Snack World.

They will probably have to announce some new upcoming games once Inazuma Eleven finally releases.
They have that mech game, Megaton Musashi, and Inazuma Eleven, as you mentioned... I believe there is a new Ni no Kuni mobile game? Otherwise, yeah, I think we're just waiting for localizations...

I assume they will have some new stuff to show soon for sure.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They have that mech game, Megaton Musashi, and Inazuma Eleven, as you mentioned... I believe there is a new Ni no Kuni mobile game? Otherwise, yeah, I think we're just waiting for localizations...

I assume they will have some new stuff to show soon for sure.
Right in that case they probably will have to break the silence next year, especially since Inazuma Eleven Ares was more or less the reason why they have been so quiet the past few years if I understood correctly.

It would also have been three years since LMJ's initial release, so it seems like a good time to reveal the next Layton series entry by then, hopefully.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah... I know everyone is meme-ing about how Spring 2020 is going to be chaos for game releases (which it 1000% will be, if more on the PS4/Xbox One side of things then Switch), but I am curious what Nintendo will do... If they have some heavy-hitters release during the Summer/Fall, between the Spring wave of chaos and the probable console launches in Holiday 2020, then they could probably dominate the discussion of games for a while.

L5 putting out a new Layton game would be a great addition. I don't recall how often the gap between Layton games being announced and released is though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah... I know everyone is meme-ing about how Spring 2020 is going to be chaos for game releases (which it 1000% will be, if more on the PS4/Xbox One side of things then Switch), but I am curious what Nintendo will do... If they have some heavy-hitters release during the Summer/Fall, between the Spring wave of chaos and the probable console launches in Holiday 2020, then they could probably dominate the discussion of games for a while.

L5 putting out a new Layton game would be a great addition. I don't recall how often the gap between Layton games being announced and released is though...
The series used to be pretty front and center, at least pre 3DS era (and pre Yokai Watch), then releases started to be more separate from each other. Probably due to the use of 3D models now.

The gap between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy (not counting the Ace Attorney crossover) was 2 years, Then AL and LMJ was 4.

So about a 2-4 year gap. We might have heard about the next game sooner if it wasn't for the development hell Level-5 was having with Inazuma Eleven Ares though, prompting Hino to not announce any future projects until that game is finally finished and in store shelves...

I suppose Nintendo is kind of in a similar position right now with the lack of news on 2020 releases. But I'd imagine that's what the next Direct (that will hopefully come very soon) be for..

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So if we get a new Layton game next year or whenever, what would you like to see from it? Seeing Hershel and Katrielle reunite seems like a given, but how do y’all want to see that implemented into a game?

Personally I feel like having multiple cases/mysteries isn't necessarily a bad idea, but they might want keep them more focused. Maybe instead of 12 cases they could have 5 or 6 and make them more focused and have them be stringed together with an overarching story-line. Kind of like how the Ace Attorney series structures itself.

Not sure how they would implement it, but I've wondered how a multiplayer/Co-op Layton game might work. Maybe each player has a Joy-con and they could have puzzles designed around two puzzle solvers. Might not work but it's something I've thought about.

amageish

Smash Master
So if we get a new Layton game next year or whenever, what would you like to see from it? Seeing Hershel and Katrielle reunite seems like a given, but how do y’all want to see that implemented into a game?

Personally I feel like having multiple cases/mysteries isn't necessarily a bad idea, but they might want keep them more focused. Maybe instead of 12 cases they could have 5 or 6 and make them more focused and have them be stringed together with an overarching story-line. Kind of like how the Ace Attorney series structures itself.

Not sure how they would implement it, but I've wondered how a multiplayer/Co-op Layton game might work. Maybe each player has a Joy-con and they could have puzzles designed around two puzzle solvers. Might not work but it's something I've thought about.
Realistic Answer: They literally just adapt the anime. Layton and Katrielle serve as alternating protagonists. The story is overarching, as it is the anime storyline.

Dreamy Answer: They localize the anime and assume you know it. Alfendi, Kat, and Layton serve as alternating protagonists. The story is overarching, focusing on whatever Flora has been up to this whole time and they also run into Emmy during it. They keep the cosplay mechanics and the ability to replay chapters from LMJ, but said chapters are in the style of the earlier games content-wise. Maybe have the daily puzzles include co-op puzzles, as that idea does sound rad, but perhaps not the best for the main game itself.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'd like a return to more serious stories, but if that ship has sailed I'll just settle for actually good puzzles making a comeback. I'd also like Katrielle and her crew to be written better, they were too one-note and annoying for me (from what I heard they're way better in the anime so I have high hopes that it's doable).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

What I'd like to happen:
Continue from where the anime left off, localize it so that the rest of the world can get up to speed. Then address Sherl's case so that book can be closed. Bring back past characters like Flora, Alfendi, maybe Emmy as well and develop them further.

What will likely happen:
Events from the anime gets adapted into game format. They might expand on the relic stone search though since that part pretty much got skipped over in the anime, I'd imagine that would pretty much be the Azran Egg fetch quest all over again...
Storyline would overall alternate between past and present between Hershel and Kat's point of view, pretty much like Miracle Mask.

Co-op puzzle solving seems like something they might try out, I don't know how they would do it, whether its integrated into the main story or just a side thing you can do in the Bonus section, I guess that would be interesting to see.

amiibo support might be interesting to see as well, especially if Layton where to appear in Smash and his amiibo gets released before then. Probably won't happen before the game comes out unless Layton and probably Katrielle get their own Layton series amiibo, not sure what they could do with it but yeah.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
amiibo support might be interesting to see as well, especially if Layton where to appear in Smash and his amiibo gets released before then. Probably won't happen before the game comes out unless Layton and probably Katrielle get their own Layton series amiibo, not sure what they could do with it but yeah.
i drool at the thought of a layton amiibo

I wonder if Alfendi talked, who would be his english VA
me

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I want the next game to have Lucy, Alfendi, and Katrielle. Kat was fantastic in the anime and Layton Brothers is one of my favorite games in the series, as crazy as that sounds.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, there is only one clue left that hasn't been taken down: the amiibo theory. We should be getting amiibo for :ultrichter: and :ultdarksamus:, the only remaining base game newcomers that didn't get any yet, on the 17th, with a patch usually preceding an amiibo release. Apart from that, there really aren't many opportunities left before the end of February, the month when the pass deal deadline happens. The final countdown begins now.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, there is only one clue left that hasn't been taken down: the amiibo theory. We should be getting amiibo for :ultrichter: and :ultdarksamus:, the only remaining base game newcomers that didn't get any yet, on the 17th, with a patch usually preceding an amiibo release. The final countdown begins now.
I'm about high time ready for fighter 5 to finally be shown off, and hopefully the first post pass fighter. Hopefully all will be revealed around the first half of January...

Here's to hoping for 2020. Best of luck bros and a happy new year!

amageish

Smash Master
If the costuming feature comes back, what if they had some licensed Nintendo costumes tied to Nintendo amiibo? That'd be a neat fanservice bonus and Nintendo-costumes are kind of a staple of Nintendo-associated-but-not-first-party games, such as Bayonetta 2, Sonic Lost World, and Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns...

I want the next game to have Lucy, Alfendi, and Katrielle. Kat was fantastic in the anime and Layton Brothers is one of my favorite games in the series, as crazy as that sounds.
Points for that hot take there. It is a fantastic game for sure.

Well, there is only one clue left that hasn't been taken down: the amiibo theory. We should be getting amiibo for :ultrichter: and :ultdarksamus:, the only remaining base game newcomers that didn't get any yet, on the 17th, with a patch usually preceding an amiibo release. Apart from that, there really aren't many opportunities left before the end of February, the month when the pass deal deadline happens. The final countdown begins now.
I guess they could do a Direct next-next-week and then just casually announce and shadowdrop the final character? That'd be some serious chaos for Nintendo journalists, but would be epic in its own way.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If the costuming feature comes back, what if they had some licensed Nintendo costumes tied to Nintendo amiibo? That'd be a neat fanservice bonus and Nintendo-costumes are kind of a staple of Nintendo-associated-but-not-first-party games, such as Bayonetta 2, Sonic Lost World, and Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns...
That sounds like a pretty great idea! Maybe even include some puzzles based off certain Nintendo games/characters.

If I recall, Level-5 kind of did that in the Japanese version of one of the Layton games, where there was a puzzle based off the Inazuma Eleven series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess they could do a Direct next-next-week and then just casually announce and shadowdrop the final character? That'd be some serious chaos for Nintendo journalists, but would be epic in its own way.
Maybe, but we just don't know when the reveal will happen. We weren't anywhere near an amiibo date when :ultbanjokazooie:'s release date was confirmed (give or take a couple of weeks).

thats gotta be one of the few games series i dont recall seeing a support thread for
Yeah, and somehow it still managed to get Wii installments for years after support for that system finally stopped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom