• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 3 - 5/30 - (Final pools- check 2nd post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Reflex takes it 3-0 in the Finals. It's over. Amazing fights.

1. Reflex
2. Kismet
3. Lee
4. Cyphus

And then everyone else above. Gg's to all.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Reflex takes it 3-0 in the Finals. It's over. Amazing fights.

1. Reflex
2. Kismet
3. Lee
4. Cyphus

And then everyone else above. Gg's to all.
Good shizzle Nick <33333333! How'd you get so good after being away from smash for like 3 months playing with go karts?!

-Ran

Smash Master
The first round is either drawn at random or seeded according to rating. Players who win receive a point, those who draw receive half a point and losers receive no points. Win, lose, or draw, all players proceed to the next round where winners are pitted against winners, losers are pitted against losers, and so on. In subsequent rounds, players face opponents with the same (or almost the same) score. No player is paired up against the same opponent twice however.
If we want to utilize Swiss in the future, we should do only do two matches, and not three. I think the system works better if you can tie, since it suggests that you are of equal skill level of your opponent.
If you 2-0 someone you get 1 points.
If you 1-1 someone you get .5 points.
If you 0-2 you get 0 points.

If we'd do this, we'd have more accurate pairing. The weight of a match would be increased significantly since there would be a larger deviation in points.

The other observation that I can make is that the bottom Top seed cannot constantly play the lower top seed. This causes strangeness to occur. The bottom top will continue to play the top worst, resulting in an incredible easy pool, where they can become 3-0 before they finally get seeded against the best player. Since we only did four rounds, this meant that someone that played the bottom players would get second best seed. I do believe though that by adding the 'draw' into the mix that such a situation wouldn't occur as easily.

Though that may not be the final solution. We may ultimately have to decide as pool leaders, which may be dubious to some. It doesn’t take an math genius to know that someone who is beating scrubs deserves to go untested till the last round.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Time for shoutouts:

Esca - Amazing pit. Teach me that arrow trick thing oneday please.
Iceman - You're the coolest. It was fun hanging with you. We make a decent team.
Batto - I love you!
Sudai - I hope you had fun at your LasT tournament.
Lee - You're a pretty chill dude. I'm sorry we started off on the wrong note.
Redson - Nice Shiek. I will beat you one day. :]
Hyro - I didn't talk to you much or play you but I heard alot about you from my friends. Keep r aping.
Randall - Thanks for running this. It was fun.
Sarah - It was fun playing laser tag with you. You're really cool.
r0ni - It was fun talking to you in between matches. I enjoyed our fight.
Oath - Sorry I didn't talk to you much today. I was all over the place.
Arcadia - Sorry about touching your sunburn. xD
KT - Sorry I scare you.
Bomber - I had fun playing you. Amazing PT.
RickyB - See you for mechacon. It was fun hanging with you.
Jio - Idk. It seemed right to just randomly throw you in here.

If I forgot anyone I'm sorry. I had alot of fun and am looking foreward to future tournaments.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Also I need to know who did the Falcon Challenge.

I don't know how I'm going to do this...there is a FULL HOUR OF FALCON CHALLENGE.

Wow.

Reflex and Lee are my heroes.

Also any tips on how to upload all of these falcon challenges? When I recorded them I thought I'd upload each match. When I got back I thought I'd edit together a combo video. When I started watching them I realized each one is a combo video in and of itself XD

"This is how Brawl was meant to be played" - LeeMartin

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Odd numbers mess things over completely. People that drop in the middle round also screw things up hard. I don't agree that byes should be counted as wins. I've never seen a bye count as anything in any sport. And in brackets, don't the top seeds get byes? Why should this change in pools, especially if they're going to count for wins? Shouldn't lower seeded people have to prove themselves while top seeded people have earned the free win?

I don't know. Sorry I didn't run things too great, but for the most part, things came out alright in my pool. The problems that I encountered I couldn't really foresee beforehand which is why I couldn't make suggestions or ask questions. I gyped Moogle out of his spot which, if you're reading Moogle, I'm really sorry again. Thankfully you're a really cool guy and I hope the Dr. Pepper made up for it.

Things could've gone more smoothly, but I don't believe they went horribly either.

Curlz: Shoutouts usually go in the results thread.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I may not have been as successful as I planned, but I did have a hella fun. And I got noticed by a few brawlers from my skills in the tag friendlies and friendlies. To those who played me, good games and sorry if I didn't say much. I'm a brawler with few words. Falcon challenge was awesome and for my first tournament, this was overall a great experience that I'm definitely going to be doing more of in the future. Seems like I also know which main to use now after playing some of you guys.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Teams
1: Reflex & kismet ($310.00)
2: Magical Unicorns (Cyphus, Lee) ($156.00)
3: Hurricane Katrina (DPhat, KOS-MOS) ($90)
4: Will and George ($32.00)
5: CJ & Fake (CJ?, fakegeorge) ($16)
5: theONEjanitor & moogle ($16)
7: The Rounds (r0ni, Roll)
7: We Call Blue (Sudai, Nick)
9: Electabuzz (8, PK Fire)
9: Team Crossover (Jordan, Caleb)
Oh, no, Team Crossova was Ice and JNig4life.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm beginning to feel more and more that Swiss is not accurate enough for the scale of tournaments we use. It certainly gives you an accurate FIRST seed. I mean, we're talking about a system that is designed to determine the -winner- of a 64 man tournament in 6 rounds.

When it comes to small levels [say 8-12] there is not enough deviation in skill level, or a large enough amount of players to pull from to allow it to be accurate. We required 4 rounds to do 12 people. There is too much need for a bye, or for knocking down someone to a lower skill level to give them a match. At the scale we are using, the middle ground is too muddled.

I think that we could run pools more efficiently if we instead demanded more of the players. The main draw out of pools is the fact that players begin to wander around and cause us to find them and a lack of set ups. I feel that we didn't save much time by utilizing Swiss due to the lack of familiarity with the system. Our players want a professionally run tournament, but they are sometimes the cause of the issues that result in time becoming a factor. We'll honestly have to proactively issue loses for not showing up for a match within a short time frame [like two minutes], and overall being more 'dickish' when people ask us to wait for them. We use time too frivolously, when it is the most important aspect of a tournament.

Perhaps in the next tournament we should do: Pools, then teams, and finally singles? Or maybe could we attempt to do some pool matches during teams?

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I'm beginning to feel more and more that Swiss is not accurate enough for the scale of tournaments we use. It certainly gives you an accurate FIRST seed. I mean, we're talking about a system that is designed to determine the -winner- of a 64 man tournament in 6 rounds.

When it comes to small levels [say 8-12] there is not enough deviation in skill level, or a large enough amount of players to pull from to allow it to be accurate. We required 4 rounds to do 12 people. There is too much need for a bye, or for knocking down someone to a lower skill level to give them a match. At the scale we are using, the middle ground is too muddled.

I think that we could run pools more efficiently if we instead demanded more of the players. The main draw out of pools is the fact that players begin to wander around and cause us to find them and a lack of set ups. I feel that we didn't save much time by utilizing Swiss due to the lack of familiarity with the system. Our players want a professionally run tournament, but they are sometimes the cause of the issues that result in time becoming a factor. We'll honestly have to proactively issue loses for not showing up for a match within a short time frame [like two minutes], and overall being more 'dickish' when people ask us to wait for them. We use time too frivolously, when it is the most important aspect of a tournament.

Perhaps in the next tournament we should do: Pools, then teams, and finally singles? Or maybe could we attempt to do some pool matches during teams?
We had enough trouble trying to get people where they needed to be when they only had one match to go to. Needing them to be in doubles and pools at the same time would only complicate things and probably cause frustration/anger/waiting. Not to mention it sounds like it would take out a lot of the fun in being at the tournament.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the fun guys. I had a blast. I'm excited for LasT 4. Long list of shoutouts gonna be posted soon.

I need to know, how was my commentating? (In all seriousness, no BS answers please)
It was decent man i enjoyed it, most of the time you kept us updated of whats goin on off the screen..If enough people come to Bi4C hopefully you can make it down..Who brought the livestream setup anyway?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I just woke up so I am going to do my best to remember all the names, lol too many to remember.

Zigsta and crew- I had many fun friendlies, it was really nice to meet you all. When I get the opportunity, I will plan with you guys to come play Brawl with you guys. :)

Reflex- Didn't get to play you in a 1 on 1 but those team matches and the Falcon challenge was still pretty fun. It was nice meeting you. I'm going to keep fighting harder to improve my PT so maybe one day I can keep up with you at a tournament. Then we could have a really awesome PT ditto.

Kate- REALLY fun ZSS. I never thought I could get so much hype from squirtle from a single match, we have to play more often. =D

Curlz- Nice matches

Redson- Lol, at least one of us made it out of pools. Nice job on making 25th(or being the 30th best person).

Randal- Tournament was fun. I'm going to go over swiss more when the time comes for future tournaments so I won't have to rely on you as much or at all to run Swiss. I get most of it, it's just the pairing that I'm a bit confused about but I know I'm probably making it more complicated than it actually is. I'll get it soon. Swiss doesn't seem that hard to get. Thanks for letting me help though.

PKFIRE!!!!!!!- Fun matches. I need to work on my PT more, I know you thought it was good, but after 0-4 in pools, I can't settle for that. I need to be able to manage my match ups, even though the majority are against me, plus I will have to do more research and probably have to change my play style around some so give myself more options in the fray. Regardless, D3 was fun. Want to fight you again sometime.

Other guys in my pool who I faced(Nu etc)- Fun matches, you can expect me to be getting better soon. I'll get better so I don't repeat my same failure in pools again. All our matches were close but in my case, they weren't close enough for me to grasp victory.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Sapphire Dragon? Where are you from? o.o
Met you there and told you. Sorry about not being able to put my location on the internet, it's just for being sure about my safety. :p It's the same reason that I don't have a Myspace or a facebook, even though I do have my own web page on Google Sites that I can give you the link to if you want it.

---
And anyway, yeah, I didn't make it out of my pool... oh well. It's probably because I don't get to train with people very often, and tournaments are the only place that I can brawl with everyone. I don't have WiFi because it costs a lot, so I have to just stick with CPU training... which is nothing like fighting a real person. And I can whip the CPUs at lv. 9. It just seems like I need more experience with people. :/

Sudai

Stuff here
Met you there and told you. Sorry about not being able to put my location on the internet, it's just for being sure about my safety. :p It's the same reason that I don't have a Myspace or a facebook, even though I do have my own web page on Google Sites that I can give you the link to if you want it.

---
And anyway, yeah, I didn't make it out of my pool... oh well. It's probably because I don't get to train with people very often, and tournaments are the only place that I can brawl with everyone. I don't have WiFi because it costs a lot, so I have to just stick with CPU training... which is nothing like fighting a real person. And I can whip the CPUs at lv. 9. It just seems like I need more experience with people. :/
Go ahead and PM me the link. Couldn't hurt to look over the website. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Holy batman why was I subscribed here?!?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom