• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last Minute Brawl Tourney - Concord, NC 4/1

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
It's been quite a while since I've been here, but I'm back to post yet another tournament! However, there's a few differences...

1) It's Brawl, not Melee.
2) It's no longer at Game Crazy.
3) It's for a GOOD cause.

The Story:
My current job, Applebee's, is trying to find a way to bring in a different and successful crowd. Karaoke has worked for us so far, but we're still looking for more. I've talked with management about trying out Rock Band nights and Smash Bros nights, and finally we've come to an agreement. THE CONCORD MILLS APPLEBEE'S IS HOLDING A SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL TOURNAMENT.

First, however, it is for charity. The V Foundation, a foundation dedicated to cancer research, has partnered with Applebee's for a short time, a less than three week time span. THAT is why the tournament is so last minute; I just found out TODAY that we can have it. It will be next Tuesday, April 1st, and I encourage everyone to try to arrive around 7:30 pm to avoid a late start in this tournament.

HOWEVER, just because it's for chairty does NOT mean it goes without prizes. First, second, and third place will all receive a prize (A shirt or hat for first place and meal passes for the top 3; the amount has not been disclosed to me yet, though I believe it's not a minimal amount). Also, it's a chance to see Charlotte area players and it's a Brawl tournament! Food will NOT be provided, so please bring a little extra for a drink or some food, and be decent enough to tip your server.

Lastly, if the turnout is decent, it won't be the last time the store will plan to do this. If a large enough turnout happens, the restaurant will do Game Nights once a week, spanning everything from Smash to Rock Band to Halo to Madden!

The Info:
Applebee's Concord Mills
Concord, NC 28027
From northern NC: Take 85-S to exit 49. Take a right at the light, and the first immediate right afterwards, you shouldn't be able to miss it.
From Charlotte/southern NC: Take 85-N to exit 49. Take a left at the light, pass over the bridge, pass through the light, and take the next immediate right. You'll see the neon sign.

Entry Fee: $5 minimum. It's for charity, so any extra is appreciated.
Date: April 1st, 2008
Time: starts around 8:00-9:00pm. I WILL NOT WAIT PAST 9:00!!
Rules: No items, no Smash Balls. Banned stages, if any, will be decided and announced before the tournament. DEPENDING ON THE TURNOUT, rounds will be 3-4 stock. Also depending on the turnout, we'll do double elimination OR two out of three rounds. IF it is too busy, it may become single round single elim. ALL RULES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

It's been a while since I've done this, so if I'm missing anything, I will update it as soon as possible. Expect updates and please try to RSVP.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
It's a little hard to do something like this on the weekend. Friday and Saturday we have waits to eat, and Sundays we have karaoke, so it's looking like if a Game Night were to happen regularly, it would be Tuesdays.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
Nick, you're breaking my heart with the date.

But since I do want to support this in spite of not being able to come (I'll punch dotpwn for it btw), is there a way I can get money to you guys some other way for the V Foundation?

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Nick, you're breaking my heart with the date.

But since I do want to support this in spite of not being able to come (I'll punch dotpwn for it btw), is there a way I can get money to you guys some other way for the V Foundation?
Unfortunately, I think the only way to donate money is to drive it to me. =/ BUT I think it's a statewide ordeal, so check your local 'bee's and see if they're doing it, as it should still count to the overall goal.

April 1?

I'm not so sure I trust this :/
I understand the doubt, but it's all true. There WILL be a Brawl tournament, it IS for charity, and it WILL be happening on Tuesday. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out and show your support guys.

...Now, if you hear me say Spear Pillar or Mario Bros are legal stages, THEN expect it to be an April Fools joke...

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
Hey, what county is Concord in? I live in Asheville and i mapquested the city and got like 6 different hits. If it's within a reasonable distance, i may show up. But nothing like a three hour drive or something like that.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Ahhh I wish it was a weekend but I might be able to come since its the day before my Birthday and I might beg parents to let me go.

Oh what about setups?

Wheelz

Smash Cadet
KICK *** TOURNY!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!! Good to meet some of you guys, makes this a little less akward and weird. Everyone played pretty good. My big black brother! He kicked my ***! But w.e I got him next tourny. Results? PLZ.

KICK *** TOURNY!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!! Good to meet some of you guys, makes this a little less akward and weird. Everyone played pretty good. My big black brother! He kicked my ***! But w.e I got him next tourny. Results? PLZ.
Hey man you did good in your matches against me and i'll be waiting next time so just bring it.

propz to RTF- that match was epic. But that's how us roytards roll

propz to NOT- Great tournament we need more of these.

propz to ali- your snake is nasty kept falling for those c4's and mines darn it LOL.

propz to peter- didn't get to play you in the tournament but from the matches i seen you in your ike and zero suit was beast.

propz to gil- your toon link nasty i didn't think i'd beat you in that match we had

propz to wheelz- your lucario scared me in our matches. Keep up the good work.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
I wanna thank everyone who came out the other night to my tournament. The turnout was decent considering everyone thought it was an April Fool's joke.

I've got the results now:

1st - Lan Di (I'veJihadIt - Ali)
2nd - P-Town (El Cancel - Peter)
3rd - WTF - WolfTheFurious (RoyTheFlamboyant - Katie)
4th - YKB3 - Yoshi Kong Barkley 3000 (James)
5th - Gil
6th - Kaeus
7th - Evil
8th - Nick O. Teen
9th - Tamis
10th - Austin
10th - V Daddy
10th - Ol' Dead Eye
10th - Snake Guts
10th - Tippo
10th - A-Town
16th - Floyd
16th - Chris
16th - Rotimer
16th - 3.14 (BlueRosePikachu)
16th - DF2Kelly (NOT DF2K)
21st - Brett (AHeroNamedPeach) (Forfeited - had to leave - would've placed 10th)
21st - Ryan (Forfeited - had to leave - would've placed 10th)
21st - Mike (Forfeited - had to leave - would've placed 10th)
21st - Wheelz (Forfeited - had to leave - would've placed 10th)
21st - Dirt McGirt (Forfeited after 1st round)
21st - Wayne Train (Forfeited after 1st round - had to leave)
21st - Miller Time (Forfeited after 1st round)
21st - One Eye (Forfeited before match)

Good job to everyone. And look out NC: if the same turnout appears at the next tournament, we'll have to make our power rankings out of the Charlotte crew. XD

Expect another one in APPROXIMATELY one month or so. I'll give details when I know more.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
Good tourney, and SUPER NICE set-up with that projector! No lag, even! :D Can't wait 'til the next one, man.

First off, wow, I knew NC was full of itself, but... wow, we're full of ourselves down to EVERY LAST LITTLE SCRUB WTF. >_>

Also, LOL @ literally half of the tournament entrants. "What? You don't have controllers? I mean, you didn't say it was BYOC, so I didn't bring my controller!! Baaaaaaw <:C". Seriously, guys. Seriously. Who doesn't bring their own controller to a tournament? And if I ever get someone else complain to me that the controller that I loaned to them had "a broken c-stick, seriously, it doesn't work!" and then when you tried to show me that it didn't it DID, I'm punching you in the face. You should know better if you've ever touched this game.

Now, shoutsssss! C:

Nick O. Teen- thanks for hosting a fantastic Brawl tournament, and congrats on 8th. You did a fine job handling the entrants and keeping the brackets straight.

Dirt McGirt- Not bad for your first time touching this game. I tried to give you pointers as we played. Hopefully, you'll play some Brawl and come back strong at the next tourney. Don't give up [even though you aren't reading this]! :>

Tippo- I know my friends were bragging that you were beast, but you should be a little more humble. I understand, though, I used to get really angry too. xD Still, I liked your MK a lot. Disjointed hitboxes everywhere! A nightmare for Wolf. Great games, man, maybe we can play again some time [even though you aren't reading this... >_>].

Kaeus- Wow, G&W's key has such little lag. I saw your pattern after a little while, but you kept me on my toes. I think you ended up catching 9/10 of my lasers. A real lesson in adaptation. You were good, I wish you hadn't ignored me when I told you it would be fun to get together and play. :C ... Even though you aren't reading this...

YKB3- Roytaaaards! Thanks for making me change to WTF aka RTF for this tournament, it was pretty amusing. Man, you were beasting me before the tournament, geeeezus. Our matches were so close man. It is how we Roytards roll. Hope to get together soon and play against your Wario some more! C:

P-Town- I think this is the first time we've played one on one since one of the first Melee tourneys you came to at GC. Seriously, you're too good, and I want to play against you some more. ZSS is tooooo gooood.

Ali- Congrats on your first place finish. Now invite us over some time since I didn't get to play against you ROFL

Wheelz- Nice meeting you. We had some fun teams matches before the tourney! And don't worry., I'm sure you and YKB3 will meet again. Keep up the Lucario! :D

Those guys from UNCC gamer's alliance- I was trying alllll night to think of where I had met you guys before because you looked really familiar. Brawl is fair grounds, sorry you guys got a late start in Melee. All the best to you in Brawl.

My female friends that like to make fun of me because I play this game- I finished third. Bite me. <3

Aaaaand that's it. If I missed anyone, they're sure to let me know. I had a lot of fun! C:

Gileril

Smash Cadet
Fun tourney!
YKB3 and peter- great matches.

My only regret is that I didn't get to play ali's snake and roytheflamboyant's wolf >:)

Gileril

Smash Cadet
dude your toon link beat the hell outta my wario and gave my DK a heck of a matchup
In all fairness, green hill zone is WAY scewed to my advantage; all I have to do is projectile camp one of the check point bobbles... I did really like your wario's aerial game though- how he can kindof drift back and forth in a strange way in the air. But your DK was just flat out beastly man. You had me second guessing myself pretty quickly. All around fun matches though. :bee:

Wario's aerial game is pretty good. He can wall of pain if he becomes wario man LOL. But I like his aerial game but my problem is trying to balance his aerials with a decent ground game but his tilts are slow as hell so that makes it a problem.

ptown

Smash Ace
cool tourney, nick. you did it again.

wtf, you played well. well done. yes, lets play again.

ykb, you did some crazy stuff.

gil, nice toon link you have.

ali, you did ok.

hi, dr pp. it's been a while.

gg's, people.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol sup Ptown. Too long man, I'm gonna have to head up there again sometime and whupped by you and Ali in two games now. Another tourney works just as well though, provided it isn't in Raleigh.

Top Bottom