• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last duke biweekly! Online prereg! $20 venue $0 entry|m2k, armada, pp, ally attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Phil corrected me. It's 37 minutes from his school. Still not bad though.

I can help you out for sure, Crio.

Do you live in NC now or what?

Edit: Phil goes to school in Thomasville/Lexington now.

Edit again: I'm 1 hour and 20 minutes from UNCC lol.
No, I still live in SC. It's just that I live, LITERALLY, within walking distance of NC.

I'm usually closer to NC tourneys than SC ones. which is nice.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Yeah, Tony's prolly good with it. U know where the bus station is/is there any wilmington that would drive?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
You should really consider canceling the duke bi-weekly on the week of 10/10, cause most people are gonna go the billfest and I'm sorry but I can't not do a tournament every other work so I can't really work around your tournament.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So then, can we just plan other tournaments around these bi-weeklies from now on since your tournament re-scheduling was unavoidable?

Edit: I'm going wherever Seven's going since he's my ride. He'll probably prefer Billfest if this isn't canceled but I dunno for sure.

Foxy

Smash Master
I want these to be every other week... even if other tournaments mean it's just locals.

I dunno.

I really want NC to gain a stable tournament series that actually meets when planned.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah, and I like the Melee part. =p

I do think it would be good for our Melee scene in all seriousness.

I also think this should be given priority over non-OOS tournaments after that Billfest *water* thing.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Yeah, and I like the Melee part. =p

I do think it would be good for our Melee scene in all seriousness.

I also think this should be given priority over non-OOS tournaments after that Billfest *water* thing.
Sorry but I am not willing to block off every other sat. as a day where I can't run a tournament. As a bi-weekly TO you have to be willing to allow other events to have priority since they don't happen all the time. I won't schedule my tournaments on announced tournament days but if there is nothing announced accept for a tournament that happens every other week and I didn't take the time to look and count weeks, then that too bad. Especially since all the tournament I host have melee anyway.

And the idea of giving this priority by default every other week when not even a single one has been held yet and we therefore have no idea how smoothly it will run is a little ridiculous.

I schedule my tournaments months in advance so you will always have time to change the date of your tournament if you choose which I recommend you do since you will lose a lot of attendance otherwise and would improve a great deal yourself if you would just come to mine instead of trying to hold your own on the same day.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@ Bill: So you're saying you should be allowed to mess with a set schedule because it's too tedious for you to look at what week his tournament will be on? How is that fair?

@Macman: Uhhh, not really. We have a few black people though.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
And your saying that I should have to block off every other week as a day where nothing else can happen because a melee bi-weekly will happen. I'm sorry but I announce my tournaments well in advance and I don't think its "fair" for me to not be able to have a tournament on every other week just because there is a reoccurring event.

You do realize every tournament I have ever hosted has had melee, so your really not even losing a melee tournament. I just think its a little selfish to assume that you should be able to block off every other week. Especially considering if the tournament is held every other week it will likely eventually become smaller and smaller with only the core in attendance because people will not want to travel every other week. If you look at other states tournaments scenes the idea of a small bi-weekly taking priority over other bigger tournaments would be laughed at.

Foxy

Smash Master
It's not fair that Bill has to block off every weekday because there's this thing called "work" or "school" that has a set schedule. Why should he have to look it up in advance?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How is it that hard to schedule around every other week? There is nothing to lose over that, and the stability of a bi-weekly is probably a good thing considering the number of tournaments we're having lately.

Announcing them in advance doesn't have anything to do with this since you would have plenty of time to look up when a bi-weekly would be around when you would be considering hosting something.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah i mean if you give priority to this it's basically saying you're only allowed to host tournaments 2 times out of the month instead of the normal 4. biweeklies should never have priority over anything, except like...weeklies.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Sorry PP but I disagree and I'm sure other people disagree also, including Alex actually cause I just talked to him. I will never schedule my tournaments on the date of other announced tournaments but I will not block off every other week indefinitely for a tournament that we don't even know will continue to run that often. Keep in mind my tournaments were originally bi-weeklies.

You are telling me to block off every other week when there hasn't been a single one yet! You don't know what the venue will be like, or how many people will come, or when we will get kicked out or anything. I ran a smash club at unc I know about the restrictions and trust me when I say that a tournament run at a school every other week should not take priority over other bigger tournaments.

I have been running tournaments for a while and I know what is a good idea and what your proposing is ridiculous considering how little you know about what this tournament will be like.

You also are falling to notice that this tournament is melee only. Whether you like them or not there are 2 other games that are played regularly.

@Stingers: Thank you for being the first person to make sense besides me.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol you always think this is about my game bias. How about we ignore the fact that it's a Melee tournament and just treat it as objectively as possible, okay?

I'm telling you this now because I don't want you to use any sort of tradition argument(IE "well we ran over the bi-weekly last time so it's okay).

Why should I trust you? You run successful tournaments, yes, but can't someone else be allowed at least a chance to run successful ones?

Thank you for insulting my character. That's a good argument.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
he actually only mentioned the game one time, at the very end of his post...sorry pp but I agree with bill here...he's right

and also, I do agree that the fact it's a melee-only tourney should be taken into consideration. if this biweekly ran all 3 games instead of just one, and was in a spot that was close to everyone in NC so we could come here every 2 weeks, maybe it SHOULD have more weight to it.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
The idea of any single TO being able to block every other week indefinitely from every other TO is not fair at all and if you don't see that than you need your character insulted and to be frank I thinks its a good argument so thanks for the compliment.

Foxy

Smash Master
I think it's disappointing to have to run your tournaments with only two slots a month, but I would think it's worth it as a trade-off for a stable biweekly series.

I personally wouldn't say what Bill's saying to a new tournament host before the first tournament of the series has even occurred. He's committing himself to hosting a tournament every other weekend, and before even one has happened bigger and wiser tournament hosts are pushing his stuff around.

I agree with Bill.

But I agree with PP more.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone really believe that TOs should be forbidden from hosting their tourneys when there's a biweekly going on?

**** all we need is someone else to host a biweekly on the opposite weeks and we will only have 2 TOs in NC until they quit. Sorry HERB3, we have a biweekly to run :(

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Think about it like this. I'm Omni and I want to run a tournament in feb. Well the bi-weekly knocks at two weekends cause PP says they should take priority. There is already a tournament announce on one of the other weekends and the last of the weekends withing that month is not open because of family stuff so now the soonest I can run a tournament is the next month possibly even the second week of next month because the bi-weekly has blocked off most other options. Bi-weeklies taking priority is unfair to other TO's, and it shouldn't ever happen.

And PP, I hate to say it but if this would a Brawl+ bi-weekly I bet you wouldn't be saying that it should have priority and don't lie to me and tell you would because we all know that wouldn't be the truth.

edit: Listen to Stingers

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I would think it would be the right thing to do still, but I wouldn't have spoken up, admittedly.

I love what you're doing here though Bill. I'm not out to stop Billfests.

@Stongers: Not like it matters apparently, but I did say that OOS tournaments would have priority over any local stuff.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Does anyone really believe that TOs should be forbidden from hosting their tourneys when there's a biweekly going on?

**** all we need is someone else to host a biweekly on the opposite weeks and we will only have 2 TOs in NC until they quit. Sorry HERB3, we have a biweekly to run :(
THIS!

10 times for emphasis

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Ok let me put this is less angry/more calm terms.

One TO should not have that much control over the tournament scene its not fair to other current TO's or to other perspective TO's and its certainly not fair to fans of the games that are not being represented.

edit: sorry for double post.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, that would hurt attendance for both possibly, or it could hurt yours only since more people go to Billfest and people know what to expect there.

Foxy

Smash Master
I'm not sure if DJrome is that concerned with attendance.

And if there's enough people who go to Duke who would attend that but would leave the college for a tournament, you've got them for attendance already.

I think both is okay, given that these might suffer a loss of attendance for that iteration.

However if Melee ever went on Sunday for Billfest (which I don't really want it to, but who knows), then Melee only players could have two tournaments within close proximity in one weekend.

DJRome

Smash Hero
I guess so. I don't really have much means of getting to tourneys (and the same goes for the other people on campus), so I figured we could just expand our weeklies into some biweeklies for the state. Didn't think it'd rile people up like this. Oh and testing my new Dinovo Edge. :D

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Because why should we make players choose. It's about getting better and if there are two tournaments when there could easily be one then the players that go to the smaller tournament don't get the same level of practice they would if they had gone to the other. By having only one tournament it's better for the scene as a whole as well as for all parties involved.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@DJR: You have a good idea man. I just wanted you to get good(smashboards) attendance every time.

I'll be at these when I can bro. I'm sure more people than me are happy with this idea.

@Bill: Well then I guess we just make a decision as a state which we would go to then.
Edit: Actually I guess if anything conflicts with these I suppose that, to avoid what just happened, we should go to the non-bi-weekly.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
We shouldn't be dividing the scene. I really don't see how there is even anything to discuss. It's a bad idea to divide the scene and a rides really shouldn't be an issue since there will almost always be pick that can pick you up. I think its great that you are hosting biweeklies DJRome but I don't think there is any other way to look at it. One unified tournament is better for everyone then two split up ones. Rides should not be a factor so there is really no reason to hold two when we could hold one.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
What I don't get is that, when the Duke people don't have rides, everyone on smashboards just goes to Billfests(or other non bi-weekly) when one like that is scheduled, and then make it to a bi-weekly when nothing is going on? Bi-weeklies still have their own thing with some attendance even when we can't make it.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm very confused as to why your first statement ended with a question mark. In fact your whole last post was difficult to follow. Never the less, I think that the addition of a biweekly scene is wonderful even if it only supports one game but as I said before one TO should not be able to monopolize every other weekend and should therefore be at least somewhat flexible with scheduling if they plan to run bi-weeklies. If omni where to schedule his next event the same day as foxy's he would be expected to reschedule right? I don't see how this is any different and since bi-weeklies, as we have discussed should not take priority over other events, it can only be expected that the TO running the bi-weekly be expected to follow common courtesy and re-schedule so as not to detract attendance from the other event.

We all want the scene to grow; we have the same goal, but it has and should remain common courtesy for TO's to work with each other to avoid scheduling conflicts and since a bi-weekly happens every other week its only far that the TO holding such a series should be willing to be flexible since they already run such a large chunk of tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom