• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laser Thread

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Another one.

In Brawl, I used Falco. If you're still here on this forum you probably know that. But something I did with Falco that a lot of people didn't do - and often why they lost - was being creative.

Being creative means making the most of whatever you have.
It also means taking bad moves and finding uses for them. I found uses for dtilt and fair in Brawl and applied them to the best of my ability.

So that is where you guys come in...

The laser is trash now, let's face it. It sucks to admit but it's still a thing.
Let's find uses for it where we won't be totally ****ed for choosing it.

Do you guys still attempt to short hop laser when you can? Safe uses?

Let's hear it.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I like using it to bait and when the match starts to get some early damage. Also, it's alright at interrupting people's recoveries. You can stop someone's double jump, and if they have an up-b that takes a bit to get going you can get in there and fair/bair them to the moon.

But even down-b is better at that. :/ Lasers in this game I find don't have any justifiable use beyond counter spamming, so I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Can't even laserlock anymore. :/

Hey Drew!

But yeah I mean Falco really only excels at anti spam now and lasers help with that.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Useful for anti spam, gimping jumps/recoveries, forcing approaches (big part of the meta), and safe followups offstage.

You can smack on the arwing shot if you want something with more kick, or the Fox laser of you want that utility (still need to test it. Fox's custom that turns his pistol into falco's is horrible and 500x worse than falcos, as it has end lag after every individual shot)

rustybomb12

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1934-0776-7390
Stopping spam and charge attacks. Also it's not horrible for getting a little damage from afar.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Use it to stop charging (ie charge shot/needles/thoron), standing at max distance vs opponents without projectiles, and to get more damage vs offstage opponents/screw up their recovery rhythm. You will definitely want to try custom lasers when they are allowed though, because the standard laser is easily the most nerfed move in the game from brawl.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I pretty much lasers the way M@v described and I haven't tried out the custom lasers yet for Falco, still need to unlock them.

EDIT: Holy crap DR3W you back as well.

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I still find myself short hopping backwards and lasering foes but i only do it once never twice thats a quick way to eat damage lol.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm no Falco Expert, but I play him for fun sometimes.
While edgeguarding, fullhop laser > aerial, works good when ppl are recovering high sometimes.
Forces airdodging.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I mostly use it during full jumps and when I want to annoy the opponent from far away. I haven't found any other useful ways yet.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
What could be done in Brawl that you really miss in sm4sh?
Of course SHDL was fun and I loved short hopping backwards lasering once. I hope his dacus is still in this game i find it really annoying that vg boot camp decided to only test on one character to my knowledge which was sheik.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Only time I use it is to prevent being spammed at and when the opponent is off stage. Sometimes I use it to bait aggro but that's about it.
Basically this, these are the only uses for it, sadly. I'd sacrifice my soul to get the ability to cancel laser lag with short hops but that's not happening so whatever

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Also forgot about hitconfirming short hop lasers into BDACUS as well.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Like others have said I mostly only use lasers for someone off stage or someone charging, haven't discovered other uses for it yet.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i learned when your opponent dose not tech on landing if you time your shot after a combo to hit them right after they land for some extra damage.

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
lasers while they can't land cancel anymore aren't completely useless, you can still throw out grounded lasers in the neutral. I always start my matches as falco by firing off some lasers, I usually get about 2-10 damage depending on how the opponent blocks.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Basically all has been said. Use laser to bait characters and then punish. Too slow to really do anything :/

Zionaze

Smash Ace
actually at like 40~43% you can laser lock people with f-throw but only if they dont tech so again, very situational

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Another one.

In Brawl, I used Falco. If you're still here on this forum you probably know that. But something I did with Falco that a lot of people didn't do - and often why they lost - was being creative.

Being creative means making the most of whatever you have.
It also means taking bad moves and finding uses for them. I found uses for dtilt and fair in Brawl and applied them to the best of my ability.

So that is where you guys come in...

The laser is trash now, let's face it. It sucks to admit but it's still a thing.
Let's find uses for it where we won't be totally ****ed for choosing it.

Do you guys still attempt to short hop laser when you can? Safe uses?

Also forgot about hitconfirming short hop lasers into BDACUS as well.
Let's hear it.
Use it to stop charging (ie charge shot/needles/thoron), standing at max distance vs opponents without projectiles, and to get more damage vs offstage opponents/screw up their recovery rhythm. You will definitely want to try custom lasers when they are allowed though, because the standard laser is easily the most nerfed move in the game from brawl.
good to see some of the fine brawl falcos meeting at a new watering hole. This char is not the one i grew to love in brawl. The lasor lacks the prowess needed to be used in a creative meaningful way. I have not had a chance to play around with the alt lasors

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
You can short hop b-reverse laser to stuff an aerial approach, maybe with some possible follow ups, depending on spacing.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
good to see some of the fine brawl falcos meeting at a new watering hole. This char is not the one i grew to love in brawl. The lasor lacks the prowess needed to be used in a creative meaningful way. I have not had a chance to play around with the alt lasors
thats gery opinionated since the buff to his lazer from the patch. its argubly one of falcos STILL most used move.

Top Bottom