• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing moves with Lucario Discussion

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
As the title suggests I was wondering what moves you have trouble landing and to discuss how we can fix our playstyles to either fix that or to seek a better option.

For me I have a very hard time trying to hit with UAir. I'm not sure why, though... Perhaps its because I forget it has similar range to FAir.

Wolfcario

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble with nair. It looks like the hitboxes don't last as long as the animation so that could be my problem. Also upsmash, I always have to use uair because I can't seem to get a hit with upsmash.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
usmash lol. I only ever use it when I know the opponent I play doesn't play Lucarios a lot, or is using a move that I can intentionally beat it with. Outside of that it's a move I detest.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't really have any major problems hitting with them when I use them right. Even Usmash with it's very situational uses when I use it in those situations doesn't seem to be too hard to hit with.

But I guess that would be the hardest to hit with due to it's very situational nature.

Wolfcario

Smash Apprentice
Tilts really? Tilts are nice quick moves to use, just remember they are a bit shorter range then the smashes.

I usually only use Usmash on a stage with platforms, like Battlefield or Smashville. Hit someone from bellow if they try to approach from above. Actually, I fight really aerially. Sometimes I might pop in a ftilt or jab, but really I mainly go for a grab, otherwise mainly I just use fair, dair, bair, and uair.

Ftilt or Dsmash. I can't seem to land either of these, even in perfect situations where the spacing just couldn't be better for them :/.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Well we can discuss how to help land 'em, right?

FTilt is a move I love to shield poke and space.

Let's say I have an opponent dashing at me while I walk away. I then use FTilt to space and/or hit them when they are forced to come to a halt and shield. Notice how many characters lean forwards when dashing, so with FTilt's lovely disjoint it can be fairly easy to hit a careless opponent.

When someone's shield is worn down FTilt is wondrous. Aim for whatever exposed part they have (when in doubt aim for the head). Don't forget even if they perfect shield the first hit they may get hit by the second due to shields depleting over time. With bigger opponents I sometimes (although risky as hell) like to FTilt someone when standing right next to them and it ends up hitting an exposed part on the other side of the character.

DSmash punishes landing lag pretty well. I can't think of any good tips on landing it atm expect for the obvious (Marth whiffed Dolphin Slash, Lucario Extremespeeding onto the stage, etc.).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
ftilt is something I use ala bowser ftilt or some other characters tilts, pure frame trap on the ground when you want to keep your fsmash fresh. I also use it as a mixup when I've crossed up on someone's shield (especially if I know they have a semi-reliable punish behind them oos) or when they happen to overshoot and I predict them crossing up over me, it works surprisingly well.

ftilt is an anticipatory attack imo, RJ taught me how to use it to space against marth fair, you should never use it like a fast punish, because you'll always get hit before you get the useful, latter end of the hitbox that's longer ranged.

For dsmash, I do it to read rolls... because I can. I sometimes use it after uthrow, but that's a "dumb opponent" combo more than anything (but hey, if Sonic can land dtilt x3 -> fsmash on a top falco, why can't I do this?) I also do it on ledge options because sometimes I don't have enough time to punish after fsmash if they happen to roll behind me. Besides that, it's also a "meh" smash.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Dsmash + platforms :3

Also I like to use it on anyone that lands on me.

Some people can even be caught right after hitting them with a aireal.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
FSmash is a lot safer to use to ledgeguard, plus it hits some characters that are just hanging at the ledge.

DSmash frametraps do sound sexy, however...

D. Disciple

Smash Master
My advice for using dsmash.

Use it when your opponent spot dodges, rolls, when they have to land, or are recovering onto the stage. Meaning you're hogging the edge properly. For an easy mindgame, walk towards or pass your opponent just for intimidation then dsmash.

Ftilt after they use an unsafe move on your shield, and use it doing a move that's starting up.

Uair is best used when your opponent jumps from the ledge, hits your shield with a rising aerial attack or on snakes in general.

Usmash, frame trap nuff said. Push an opponent off a platform, force them into a tumbling animation, then usmash.

Nair - If you're edgehogging, and they land onto the stage you can nair them. Nair out of shield is beautiful, even more better than uair imo. Airdodgers, if Snake uses his nair! After fair, use it falling from a platform, to another platform drop nair. (Try it out on battlefield it's fun)

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Out of what I use I seem to be having more and more trouble hitting with utilt after I use it once or twice not in a row... just been thinking about grabbing or SH+nair/fair instead

D. Disciple

Smash Master
It really depends on of if they have a jump or not. I've gotten utilt to usmash a few times, I like it doing it from the edge as another way of pressuring them, especially at high aura when the knockback from usmash will keep me safe.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I can never really hit with Double Team. It seems every time I go to use it, my opponent misses and then punishes me. Luckily a lot of people seem to misjudge the ending lag and I'm able to powershield smashes a lot.

Only time I've actually hit with it resulted in me winning the match, at least.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
There aren't very many uses for DT. I know that you can use it safely against Pikas. But hard reads. It's an unsafe move because if you DT and its in the ending frames of your opponents move, they can powersheild it. I've actuallly seen a few vids of Trela using it pretty well.

For the most part, forget that move exsists.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
There aren't very many uses for DT. I know that you can use it safely against Pikas. But hard reads. It's an unsafe move because if you DT and its in the ending frames of your opponents move, they can powersheild it. I've actuallly seen a few vids of Trela using it pretty well.

For the most part, forget that move exsists.
OHH and if you're playing over-campy snakes jones'in for the utilt or ftilt while you're on the ledge, short hop it onto stage. Be careful though, spacing is key

Double post sorry. I hate school computers.
I ment to click edit. Mybad

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The only time I use DT is for a hard read, ledgehopped because dumb people only go for smashes when your on the ledge, and the occasional mixup for closing space against projectiles using Reverse DT, which is super punishable if you use it blatantly.

DT is a dumb move, it's usually better if you don't use it lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
The only time I use DT is for a hard read, ledgehopped because dumb people only go for smashes when your on the ledge, and the occasional mixup for closing space against projectiles using Reverse DT, which is super punishable if you use it blatantly.

DT is a dumb move, it's usually better if you don't use it lol.
As self-appointed president of the CSAL (Charging Smash Attacks at the Ledge) party, I take offense to that remark.

Plenty of characters have smash attacks which are so long ranged, they can cover ALL 4 options the enemy has to get off the ledge. You play one of them, you should know. Most characters when above 100% have poor get-up attack options which either have low range or actually have vulnerable frames before a hitbox comes out. Some like luigi no matter what % hes at, a long range smash attack will cover a ledge attack, ledge roll, get-up or ledgehop.

How about someone like metaknight charging an fsmash when luc is above 100? He automatically covers 3 options and only allows you to ledgehop. Do you feel like pushing your luck and trying to DT a hitbox that comes out instantly and lasts for like 2-3 frames and risk a free gimp?

Theres plenty of reasons why charging smashes at the ledge isnt dumb at all... I hope you dont apply the same mentatlity to yourself because in the right situation against the right characters, it can be pretty devastating. Lucario is one of the best at abusing this. Try it against a Luigi sometime.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Usually I love doing this to Falco's/DK's fsmash since they loooove using that option.

Yeah I know that charged smashes are good on the ledge, it's a normally high reward for a very low risk. It's particularly effective against Diddy :D

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
How about someone like metaknight charging an fsmash when luc is above 100? He automatically covers 3 options and only allows you to ledgehop. Do you feel like pushing your luck and trying to DT a hitbox that comes out instantly and lasts for like 2-3 frames and risk a free gimp?

i would like ledgejump [not hop ie press jump on ledge]

hit down B.

mash/roll down on control stick, c-stick down too, and mash tech.

its super situational but.... eh i wanna see if u guys can figure it out coz i need to sleep and my wrist is flaring [ow]

Top Bottom