• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Lag Etiquette

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
Like most fighting games Sm4sh has it's fair share of lag, like in street fighter each player would stop zoning and just crouch until the lag ends. I just hope that this unspoken rule will transfer into this game, but from what I've seen and played people just like to abuse the lag in matches, and it's really disrespectful and irritating.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I don't see why this is so surprising. I imagine the majority of players muddle through the lag only focused on winning. No respect, no honor, only victory.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
In the fight for existence and life
There is no law
And in the presence of eternal death
There is no law

And just the struggle for power, the domination prevails
An arising slaughter
In [Incomprehensible], every man for himself
As in battle there is no law
[SICK GUITAR SHREDDING ENSUES]

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I hear you. If there's insane lag (which luckily doesn't happen often to me), I try to wait it out and signal it to the other player(s), but they almost never stop. It's kinda why I prefer playing with friends in most cases, as you can communicate better with them than strangers.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
If i think it will stop eventually maybe. Generally I just kill myself cuz i could care less about my win loss ratio

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Hmmmm, I fear if I apply such etiquette to my online matches, many players won't understand why I'm doing and will more than likely take advantage of the lag and me lowering my guard sadly. I will most certainly apply this when playing with friends but I doubt doing this will make much of a different unfortunately when so many don't understand what it means. I will try it though once I have a laggy match and see if they understand at all. I do so enjoy proper etiquette. :seuss:

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
In SSB, lag just slows things down, it doesn't skip frames or stutter.

I don't see the point in this "etiquette". You can still play with lag.

Or maybe the lag I've encountered isn't the same severity or is qualitatively different from the kind you've bene getting

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Why should I show my enemy mercy for their crappy connection?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I back off and wait out the lag in friend roster battles, but not in For Glory matches. Perhaps I can try, but if they attack me, I'll have no choice but to fight.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I didn't know about the silent crouch rule. Hopefully something like that makes it into the online meta, but those hard lag spikes seem rare to begin with so i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Most people are just going to plow through it regardless.

i could care less about my win loss ratio
How much less could you care?

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, the only people who lag are ******* on McDonalds WiFi/10 miles from the access point. I'm starting to get to the point where I just suicide if it's too bad. It's not like I care about my W/L.

Niala

Smash Ace
I don't see why this is so surprising. I imagine the majority of players muddle through the lag only focused on winning. No respect, no honor, only victory.
You missed a very clear opportunity for a "For Glory" joke. I am disappoint.

Anyway, in reply to the thread, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea if this game didn't have a massive, and I mean massive, fanbase. There are too many people to try and introduce something like this without a proper medium, and even if we had it, so many of the players are young and would likely still miss it. Besides, I've yet to even run into a circumstance where lag has been so dramatic that people have needed to stop fighting, but perhaps that's because I play primarily zoning characters. I'm curious in what kind of situation you would need to halt gameplay completely in some attempt at etiquette. My advice would be "Just play through it, it isn't that bad."

Notably we already have some etiquette between regulars. Just the other day, I was playing somebody and they suicided their first stock by missing a platform with ZSS Dair at 0%. Figuring it was likely due to a laggy input, I jumped right off to follow. The person I was playing crouched once in thanks. Simple as that-- You can be respectful to the people you play against without some sort of etiquette that stops the fight every 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Because being a decent human being isn't hard?
So I'm not a decent human unless I got a good connection?

Lag is all I've found so far, waiting for the perfect connection that's never going to come means I'm pretty much not allowed to play online if this "etiquette" was a thing.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

Lag is all I've found so far, waiting for the perfect connection that's never going to come means I'm pretty much not allowed to play online if this "etiquette" was a thing.
No, I mean if it's truly bad someone can hop off. But consistently bashing someone into the ground when they can't fight back seems a little cheap, no? If you don't want to stay with someone who has a bad connection, then by all means go. But if you actually want to fight them, why just beat on them while the lag is happening? Where's the fun or sport in that??

Clemente

Smash Journeyman

If you literally can't play ever without lagging, stay offline.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well I'm on the free Google Fiber plan right now (hint: it's completely awful) and my greedy roommate steals all of our meagre bandwidth all the time. I usually can't play because of this, which really sucks since he has no job and is taking something like 6 credits, so he's here streaming and torrenting all day long. Why google gives no QoS options in their mandatory network box, I will never understand. Otherwise I could just limit him to a fraction of our bandwidth and I could avoid the lag.

At least you can all take heart in knowing that I avoid playing when I know he's around. I won't spread the grief.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I never had a lag problem.
Now I'm on this thread

and the first ten seconds of a match took two minutes.

CURSE!

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
For me, the lag usually hasn't been bad, and when it has been, generally me and my opponent just kept going. The lag, for me, just feels like another obstacle to push through. In most cases, it didn't really affect the overall outcome of the match.

PsychicHero

Smash Rookie
Meh...I've lost plenty of matches to Shiek and ZSS due to lag and input delay.

During one match the ZSS teleported behind me and smashed me. I couldn't even tell until Pac man's hydrant went right though her. I also have trouble performing combos with Pit due to input lag despite doing fine in local play(the ZSS i fought online was a friend of mine). I hope it fixes itself with the Wii U version, I don't like people thinking am complete trash due to outside factors.

Of course it could be my internet.....

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Can you message each other in Street fighter to say "lets not fight its laggging?" Thats probably the diference, Nintendo's ****ty online system doesn't let you communicate with anyone.

D

Deleted member 245254

In terms of lag I think it's pretty fair to say that MOST people know if they're the one who's Internet is crap. I think in the early stages of the game, everyone wants to see how their connection fairs online and you're going to run in to the occasional bad match but from this experience, this person will likely avoid playing online in the future After observing how consistently bad their experience is. Over time this issue, as a result, should cease to be frequent.

However, given the former, I personally think it's better manners for the person with bad internet to suicide. That may seem like a W/L caring approach, but the fact it exists is enough in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
In SSB, lag just slows things down, it doesn't skip frames or stutter.

I don't see the point in this "etiquette". You can still play with lag.

Or maybe the lag I've encountered isn't the same severity or is qualitatively different from the kind you've bene getting
My inputs have definitely been missed during lag.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I had a horrible game earlier today. It was lagging like crazy but I knew for a fact it wasn't on my end. My Internet is very stable and reliable.

Hitokiri_Ace

Smash Rookie
........ I never heard of this etiquette before. Though, I have a hard time telling what is just a derpy lvl1 CPU because the other player dropped out.. or what. I may or may not have kept fighting a human player waiting on lag to chill...

To be fair.. it's not my internet. I have wonderful internet, that comes with an absolutely wonderful price. :| heh Worth it.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I don't think the netcode of the game is perfect, still shoddy tbh.

So both players could have Grade A internet but it still might get a bit sloppy.

Top Bottom