• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L2P: 'Guide' to Playing with Lag!

Tenki

Smash Hero
"lol ike is god tier on wifi, just use fsmash"
"omfg roll camping makes wifi suck!"
"No johns."

Alright. I'm tired of people complaining about what they can't do online, so here's the thing-

Offline play and online play are different. Due to factors like distance between players and connection speed, there may or may not be noticeable latency. In the case that you are playing with someone where actions are .5-1 second behind, you don't want to be the one getting caught in a juggle, projectile spam, or that one-KO-move-that-never-hits-IRL.

So here are some pointers:

Leading attacks
Tap shield, and take notice of how long it takes for your shield to come up. That is the amount of time you have to be able to account for when you're fighting.

Example: Tap shield - you notice that it takes half a second to come out. You see a Wolf across the map, and he starts shooting lasers. You walk towards the lasers, but tap shield half a second before contact each time. Each laser gets shielded, some may even get powershielded- congrats! You've successfully walked through projectile spam!

Knowing your opponent's delay between attacks helps with this timing, as well.

Buffering inputs
When doing things like approaches, one of the best bets on getting a successful offensive juggle going on is to do the inputs ahead of time, but at the same speed that you would do them offline!
If you're playing defensively, buffer some shields or dodges between your attacks, and afterwards, think of a fast counter attack. An example of this defense-and-counter? ROB'S spotdodge > dsmash. If you know the timing, then go ahead and do it, even before you see the spotdodge happen. This will eliminate alot of the choppy 'empty' time spaces that occur otherwise if you wait for the graphic to show before doing the followup move.
Characters that have high priority can also spam certain attacks to space and keep opponents away from them, like Marth's F-air.

Mindset
With button input lag, the game is more reliant on prediction, not reflex! There are certain attacks and strategies that suffer the most from input lag: Precision moves (Zelda kicks, Knee of Justice), Powershields, and post-lag punishment (ex, Sonic). Provided that your opponent knows how to lead movements and buffer inputs ahead of time, that "reflexive" airdodge that your opponent pulled on you was actually done ahead of time!
Many opponents experienced with Wifi will buffer multiple inputs ahead of time. For example, an Ike may use F-smash at a distance (bait), then spotdodge and d-smash (counter). Whether or not you actually get caught in that trap is based on how predictable you are! If you can think ahead and recognize that trap before it happens, you can run towards the missed F-smash, but stop moving, then punish the D-smash.

If someone is falling, and he sees you jumping at him, the first thing he thinks you will do is try to intercept him with an aerial attack. So he'll most likely buffer an airdodge timed to go off as he passes you. But if you keep your cool, you can delay the aerial and catch him in his vulnerability frames!

---------------------
Problematic Situations
Granted, you won't always be able to predict your opponent's moves and create the perfect counterattack to it. Because of button input lag, there are certain situations that, once you get trapped, you will find yourself in a bad situation:

- Juggles (your opponent's movestrings, done ahead of time to minimize empty time)
- Projectile spam (ex: Wolf Blaster)
- Heavy hitting attacks (ex: Ike F-smash, finishing moves when you're at 100%....etc)
- Roll/spotdodge spam

- For juggles, you can try to spam taps and hopefully get some SDI away, but more useful is spamming the dodge button. Things like Sheik F-tilt, DK U-tilt, and Luigi aerial juggles are dangerous online because once you get caught, all you can do is try to spam dodge or shield.

- Against projectile spam, try to reorient yourself with the delay and get the shield up. Or jump.

- There's not much you can do after you get hit by heavy attacks, so the best thing you can do is to try to avoid situations where you'll be left vulnerable to them- avoid moves with high landing lag when you're near your opponent, attack in bursts, then retreat, etc.

- Now... roll-happy people are a pain in the butt to fight. However, they tend to have patterns. Let's take the example of a roll-happy Lucario. You notice that when you try to do a dash attack, Lucario rolls towards you. You try to attack him again, and he rolls away again! How can you break this chain of madness!?

...Don't attack.

Run as if you're going to attack him, and do something to stop suddenly, whether it be shielding or turning around, or even doing an empty shorthop, near the end of his roll, then buffer an input to catch him. At worst case, you will have predicted the wrong direction and you miss. If this is successful, you catch the little bugger in a punishment attack.

==============
There you go @.@; Brawl Online is NOT the same, so good luck with that XD

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Nice Guide, I will take this into consideration next time I play Online in Brawl. Like you said "Brawl Online is NOT the same".

chckn

Smash Ace
Its rediculous to me how online play has lowered the competitive standards to this, but anyways thanks for the guide, actually quite helpful.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice dude. It will be very helpful for me since I'm usually too quick for my characters. Hopefully, I'll be able to beat my opponents now, even with lag going on.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Bump, because there'll be more EU players who are going to be uh... trying out wifi and doing lag johns.

Top Bottom