• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelling

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
1. Do you have to press L all of the way, or can you lightshield to Lcancel?
2. Do you only have to L cancel if the attack is still in the attack animation, or if you use it high off the ground, and the attack finishes, do you still have to L cancel?

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
2. Do you only have to L cancel if the attack is still in the attack animation, or if you use it high off the ground, and the attack finishes, do you still have to L cancel?
1. No, you don't have to press L down all the way. However, if your shield comes out after you L cancel, you've held the button down too long.
2. Only L cancel if the attack hasn't completed its animation, if your attack finishes before you hit the ground you will simply air dodge (or waveland :D)

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace

you can L cancel 20 frames before you land, which is exactly 1/3 of a second.

i recommend purposely hitting the L trigger as lightly as possible.

if you cant get the timing right, i would try to do it too early on purpose.

instinct tells you to press it as you land. thats wrong. press before

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
you can L cancel 20 frames before you land, which is exactly 1/3 of a second.

i recommend purposely hitting the L trigger as lightly as possible.

if you cant get the timing right, i would try to do it too early on purpose.

instinct tells you to press it as you land. thats wrong. press before
20 frames is the timing for teching, not L-cancelling. L-cancelling should be done 6 frames before you hit the ground, or the frame that you hit it, so just a bit more than 1/10 of a second.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
try getting really drunk before you play. Your perception time will slow, so it will seem like you're L-cancelling everything. You will be awesome.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
To lag-cancel an aerial, you have to hold L or R (to any registered pressure) or Z across as least 1 frame starting 8 frames before you land. That is, press L, R, or Z (hard or soft) during the 7/60th of a second time frame ending as you land on the ground while performing an aerial.

All characters have landing lag. They have significantly more if they land while performing an aerial. Lag-cancelling reduces the lag of performing an aerial while landing. If you aren't performing an aerial, or already finished one, you cannot lag-cancel, and will have your normal (short) landing lag.

Sliding (edge-cancelling) can reduce landing lag (from an aerial or not) down to as low as 1 frame. Therein lies its advantage.

Recap:
• L, R, or Z - how hard or long you press does not matter
• 7 frame window, ending as you land

pchoo

Smash Cadet
To lag-cancel an aerial, you have to hold L or R (to any registered pressure) or Z across as least 1 frame starting 8 frames before you land. That is, press L, R, or Z (hard or soft) during the 7/60th of a second time frame ending as you land on the ground while performing an aerial.

[...]

Recap:
• L, R, or Z - how hard or long you press does not matter
• 7 frame window, ending as you land
Does this mean that you don't need to hit L/R/Z to lag-cancel? As in, will I lag cancel if I short hop, down air (c-stick), hold L from then on until I hit the ground, and let go during the shortened landing animation?

Normally I'd just go test this myself, but my brother's watching TV. >.>

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
You can hold L, R, or Z as long as you want. You just have to hold it for at least one frame, during the 7 frame changes ending when you land. That means within the 0.12 seconds before you land, you need to START holding L, R, or Z, and you can hold it for 1 frame, or until your shield breaks, it doesn't matter in terms of reducing landing lag.

Top Bottom