• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Canceling...question about something I experienced

St. Viers

Smash Champion
So, I spent like half an hour working on L-canceling with fox, then worked on it with Doc...and of course it was much easier. My question is about something.
I experienced afterwards, which leads me to think a few things

question has anyone else experienced the sensation that the game has drastically slowed down after you learn to L-cancel well?[/b]

I guess it is because of the speed you are now used to, but when I was playing afterwards even a level 9 AI fox seemed ridiculously slow, and I was able to likewise keep comboing a lvl9 Mewtwo from 0-Death, all due to the game "slowing down." I could just start to see lag and how things were moving...

I'm not bragging, but I think that this is a sign of getting on level better in the game, right?

Sensai

Smash Master
Stop. Taking. Cocaine.

[Edit:]

:-D

This hasn't ever happened to me, but whenever I go into training mode and put it on something like 2/3 or 1/4, then begin to play normally...things go a lot faster.

But you see, that's normal.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i think wat ur experiencing is not that the game is slowing down, but u are starting to notice how sucky the cpu's are. with the L-cancelling and all theres no lag on ur behalf of aerials and u have more time to see wat the cpu is going to do next. and also with L-cancelling theres no question about it, it does speed up ur gameplay. i think i know wat ur talking about

but then again maybe i dont haha

Sudai

Stuff here
Time to go philosophical..

Speed is a matter of perception and how fast your brain can process it. I think that by learning L-Canceling and being able to perceive the difference makes your brain speed up the processes to make it seem as if you were still moving like normal which also means you see everything else as going slower.

On the other hand, it could be that you're just paying more attention to the CPUs. The speed thing comes into play again, but slightly different. If you see something moving and your brain is focusing on it, you notice more of what's going on and that leaves less blank spaces for your brain to fill in, whereas if you were barely paying attention to it, your brain fills in the gaps by making it seem to go through the fastest process to get to that point.

You can use Samus' missiles to see this. If you're playing as her, the missiles seem to move rather slow, but when you're playing against her, the missiles seem to be moving faster because your brain has to make up for the lost frames that it didn't see.

In the end, I could just be spouting non-sense..but this is how I rationalize the appearent speed changes.

Top Bottom