• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
ATTENTION EVERYONE

A supporter of this thread asked me to feature an updated supporter list, providing me with the supporters to this date. The creator of this thread ES. Dinah hasn't been online for quite a while. The Updated Supporters List is now shown as a spoiler in my first post (which is the second post in the first page) in this thread and can be viewed at the timing of this post. I've also been informed that I will be updated for any new members wishing to express their support for KOS MOS for Smash Switch should there be more people.

Let me know if I missed anyone.

To ES. Dinah ES. Dinah
I was asked to this without your approval/permission so I apologize in advance if I wasn't suppose to do so or if you were responsible for updates. It just that seemed that you were off line for a while and when the supporters were vouching for at least a updated version of the supporter list, I did it upon a member's behalf knowing that they appreciate it. Again, I was only doing this as a favor.

Thank you for reading this everyone.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been going around collecting fan art as I am wont to do, and I thought the rest of you might like some of the gems I've found. Particularly this one, which is adorable.

Though I suppose that is enough image spam for now.

Oh. Standard Disclaimer: I did not draw any of the above images. All credit goes to their respective artists. I am merely a fan.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, I am glad to see that people have posted as I have stuff to respond to! I'm sorry I had to be offline for awhile due to a few things and well disappointment on my part that I didn't feel it was worth speculating much on here anymore because smash ultimate has everyone returning with a few newcomers. However, I return with renewed interest and still want to be the owner of the thread and update whenever possible. I am glad that someone kept the support list going and I hope it continues to grow. We can thank Lynn Eslie Lynn Eslie for their fantastic renders that I wanted to comment on and much more. It's great to see support for KOS-MOS in a high manner like mine.

I had never before been so excited about speculation in gaming than upon realizing KOS-MOS had been made plausible for Smash. The possibility has quickly became an obsession that is, perhaps, unhealthy... but I shouldn't mind.

Of course, I am aware of many hurdles which threaten to bar her path, such as...

• Heihachi - Having a character model very similar to Ryu's would greatly reduce the strain of development for Tekken's King of the Iron Fist, and I imagine "ease of creation" is the primary currency Sakurai will be dealing in this time around, bolstering his chances. If Heihachi is included, his status as a BANDO-NAMCO character would drastically reduce KOS-MOS's chances.
  • Elma, Rex, Pyra - Honestly, the more I think about it, the less I feel getting any of these characters actually hurt KOS-MOS's chances. Xenoblade has been doing extremely well of late, which makes them a front-runner for multiple newcomers this time around. Still, there is an argument to be made that the limited number of slots make multiple entries far less tenable in Ultimate. (Disclaimer: While I recognize that KOS-MOS is a property of Namco-Bandai, not Nintendo, this argument was made under the assumption that the overall community would perceive KOS-MOS as a Xeno representative.)
  • Timing/Relevance - We know that Sakurai tends to finalize his roster very early into development, and that Ultimate started development in winter 2015-2016. KOS-MOS's most recent appearance would have been in Project X Zone 2, released November 12, 2015 in Japan, which potentially puts her on the radar, if minimally so. Of much more importance, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was in development starting in July of 2014, though it would not be released until December 2017. Given that Sakurai's sensibilities would likely deter him from the somewhat risque design of KOS-MOS V4, factors such as what point KOS-MOS RE was developed, and whether or not Sakurai was made aware of it, are crucial when weighing her odds.
...yet these stand only as potential problems. At current, none have been confirmed, so none presently serve to impede her. As such, the poison of hope continues its course to the heart, and likewise, KOS-MOS continues to hold my ardent support.
As a bit of an update on the KOS-MOS situation:

Friday, July 27th saw the release of a new KOS-MOS specific quest in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Given her appearance being a cameo, and that any further usage of her character would require clearance by Namco-Bandai (Though we know they have a track record of essentially loaning Monolith the license whenever asked, so that in and of itself isn't terribly consequential), it in the very least suggests that she's popular enough within the community to merit additional content.

And then there's this, which was announced just yesterday (Saturday, July 28th):

So someone is certainly expected to be in high-demand.
I feel that if Sakurai finalized the roster very early then there is always a chance for dlc. I agree that KOS-MOS has quite a few Namco challengers up against her but I believe that she is in the top 3 Namco characters because of her being in every crossover that Namco helps out with. We have had Namco X Capcom, Projext X Zone 1 and 2, other cameos in tales games so Smash is definitely a huge possibility for her. I believe that even if Xenoblade 2 would not release until after Sakurai finalized his roster that Xenoblade 2 is still a huge popularity boost for KOS-MOS as T-elos got in the game as a free dlc blade which is awesome if anything. She's got the popularity boost from XB2 so I think Sakurai could possibly consider her for dlc. We know that Sakurai played the game and loves it so he appreciates the characters. I wonder if he knows that KOS-MOS is essentially the Symbol of Monolith Soft though even if she started on ps2.

I believe that the new KOS-MOS RE figure you mentioned will potentially boost her popularity some more as well. I really need to get one!

Just a bit of conjecture:

Heihachi was not revealed during EVO, nor the Direct shortly thereafter. While that doesn't completely remove him from the running, his failure to appear at perhaps the most optimal venue do reduce his odds a fair degree, or so I feel. This in turn increases the odds for other Namco-Bandai characters/franchises. So...

KOS-MOS
Tales (Likely Lloyd Irving)
Digimon
Soul Calibur
Klanoa
Dig Dug
iDOLM@STER

...of which my [admittedly bias] mind considers Lloyd and KOS-MOS the most probable. Either way, even if it is not exclusively in her favor, it remains to her potential benefit.

In other news, finished a small project of mine. Took some doing, but managed to put together a full[?] set of alts for KOS-MOS Re: based on characters from the Xenosaga series.

(Credit to Kinishan for the render)

What are your favorites, and can you tell which characters are being referenced?
As I have already said on discord, these renders are absolutely fantastic work that I can include in the OP. I wish I can contribute stuff like this but it's great to see huge KOS-MOS fans like myself! I truly love how you used the colours of the Xeno cast for her and I think that's incredibly creative for alt colours for smash! My favourite one... well I love all of them! I think the Albedo one would see use from me and default if I had to pick favourites :)
ATTENTION EVERYONE

A supporter of this thread asked me to feature an updated supporter list, providing me with the supporters to this date. The creator of this thread ES. Dinah hasn't been online for quite a while. The Updated Supporters List is now shown as a spoiler in my first post (which is the second post in the first page) in this thread and can be viewed at the timing of this post. I've also been informed that I will be updated for any new members wishing to express their support for KOS MOS for Smash Switch should there be more people.

Let me know if I missed anyone.

To ES. Dinah ES. Dinah
I was asked to this without your approval/permission so I apologize in advance if I wasn't suppose to do so or if you were responsible for updates. It just that seemed that you were off line for a while and when the supporters were vouching for at least a updated version of the supporter list, I did it upon a member's behalf knowing that they appreciate it. Again, I was only doing this as a favor.

Thank you for reading this everyone.
I became aware of this today and it's no problem at all. Thank you very much for updating the support list.

Also, I'd like to bring up that Card sagas wars released recently and KOS-MOS is playable in it. It's a fan game but you can see her moves in this video and imagine how she would be in smash. It's a lot of fun if you want to try it out.

Also, here are all her sprites in it as a reference: https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/106683/

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, I am glad to see that people have posted as I have stuff to respond to! I'm sorry I had to be offline for awhile due to a few things and well disappointment on my part that I didn't feel it was worth speculating much on here anymore because smash ultimate has everyone returning with a few newcomers. However, I return with renewed interest and still want to be the owner of the thread and update whenever possible. I am glad that someone kept the support list going and I hope it continues to grow. We can thank Lynn Eslie Lynn Eslie for their fantastic renders that I wanted to comment on and much more. It's great to see support for KOS-MOS in a high manner like mine.
It's worthwhile to note that we can now reasonably assume Sakurai meant "unique fighters" when referring to newcomers, and that there has also been a focus on ensuring those newcomers play very differently from the rest of the cast. Also, while the current pattern is bringing in fan favorite picks, for my part, I do not believe such an obvious pattern would be established were there not an intent to break it. Sakurai has stated before that a Smash game with only popular characters does not excite him, and given these games are one continuous fever dream of a passion project for him, it's incredibly unlikely the trend of fan-favorites will continue for much longer. With that in mind, KOS-MOS is the kind of character that he tends to enjoy: She has a staggering amount of moveset potential, is recognizable enough to not feel out of place among the roster, and is also largely absent from community speculation. A case of "someone they do not yet know they wanted" if you will.

As for the renders, I like to channel my energies into creative outlets when I can. It is nice having something to show for it later.

I feel that if Sakurai finalized the roster very early then there is always a chance for dlc. I agree that KOS-MOS has quite a few Namco challengers up against her but I believe that she is in the top 3 Namco characters because of her being in every crossover that Namco helps out with. We have had Namco X Capcom, Projext X Zone 1 and 2, other cameos in tales games so Smash is definitely a huge possibility for her. I believe that even if Xenoblade 2 would not release until after Sakurai finalized his roster that Xenoblade 2 is still a huge popularity boost for KOS-MOS as T-elos got in the game as a free dlc blade which is awesome if anything. She's got the popularity boost from XB2 so I think Sakurai could possibly consider her for dlc. We know that Sakurai played the game and loves it so he appreciates the characters. I wonder if he knows that KOS-MOS is essentially the Symbol of Monolith Soft though even if she started on ps2.

I believe that the new KOS-MOS RE figure you mentioned will potentially boost her popularity some more as well. I really need to get one!
I have some apprehensions about KOS-MOS as DLC. The oft logically suspect "slot" argument of the base roster is more of a reality for DLC. Any characters being offered as such would need be put forth in a situation where they are the sole product. You could package KOS-MOS with T-ELOS, yes, but the worry [from a business perspective] would be the amount of backlash from the angry masses. Of course, veterans won't be in the way for DLC... fah! Falling into circular logic now. I do not know. I feel the base roster is the best place for potentially contentious characters, but DLC will have to take more risks this time... I will need to think more on the issue to see if I can unravel a better opinion here.

The figure though! That one intrigues me. At current, only Pyra and Mythra have proper scale figures, which means KOS-MOS Re: is getting one before Nia or Morag. It is also worthy to note that scale figures are made for characters who are already popular. They are quite expensive to make, and also come with a high price tag, making them a niche market overall. For those reasons, using a figure to try and generate popularity would be incredibly risky, even foolish. It follows that the announcement of a scale figure suggests that either A) KOS-MOS Re: is far more popular than the community currently believes, or B) KOS-MOS Re: is expected to be considerably more marketable in the near future.

As I have already said on discord, these renders are absolutely fantastic work that I can include in the OP. I wish I can contribute stuff like this but it's great to see huge KOS-MOS fans like myself! I truly love how you used the colours of the Xeno cast for her and I think that's incredibly creative for alt colours for smash! My favourite one... well I love all of them! I think the Albedo one would see use from me and default if I had to pick favourites :)
Happy to know you liked them so much! Inspiration took for Albedo scheme when I realized the Gravity Shell "petals" were perfect as a reference to his cloak. I was incredibly pleased with the result.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have played and beaten all 3 Xenosaga games on the PS2. If we got KOS-MOS in Smash as the next Namco rep, I would be pleasantly surprised.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's worthwhile to note that we can now reasonably assume Sakurai meant "unique fighters" when referring to newcomers, and that there has also been a focus on ensuring those newcomers play very differently from the rest of the cast. Also, while the current pattern is bringing in fan favorite picks, for my part, I do not believe such an obvious pattern would be established were there not an intent to break it. Sakurai has stated before that a Smash game with only popular characters does not excite him, and given these games are one continuous fever dream of a passion project for him, it's incredibly unlikely the trend of fan-favorites will continue for much longer. With that in mind, KOS-MOS is the kind of character that he tends to enjoy: She has a staggering amount of moveset potential, is recognizable enough to not feel out of place among the roster, and is also largely absent from community speculation. A case of "someone they do not yet know they wanted" if you will.

As for the renders, I like to channel my energies into creative outlets when I can. It is nice having something to show for it later.

I have some apprehensions about KOS-MOS as DLC. The oft logically suspect "slot" argument of the base roster is more of a reality for DLC. Any characters being offered as such would need be put forth in a situation where they are the sole product. You could package KOS-MOS with T-ELOS, yes, but the worry [from a business perspective] would be the amount of backlash from the angry masses. Of course, veterans won't be in the way for DLC... fah! Falling into circular logic now. I do not know. I feel the base roster is the best place for potentially contentious characters, but DLC will have to take more risks this time... I will need to think more on the issue to see if I can unravel a better opinion here.

The figure though! That one intrigues me. At current, only Pyra and Mythra have proper scale figures, which means KOS-MOS Re: is getting one before Nia or Morag. It is also worthy to note that scale figures are made for characters who are already popular. They are quite expensive to make, and also come with a high price tag, making them a niche market overall. For those reasons, using a figure to try and generate popularity would be incredibly risky, even foolish. It follows that the announcement of a scale figure suggests that either A) KOS-MOS Re: is far more popular than the community currently believes, or B) KOS-MOS Re: is expected to be considerably more marketable in the near future.

Happy to know you liked them so much! Inspiration took for Albedo scheme when I realized the Gravity Shell "petals" were perfect as a reference to his cloak. I was incredibly pleased with the result.
KOS-MOS is the kind of Namco rep that would absolutely be miles more interesting than someone like Heihachi or Lloyd. We could see how well developed she is in crossovers games just by looking at Project X Zone 2 or Namco X capcom. They carefully chose the right iconic moves in the Xenosaga series she possesses for those crossover titles so I fully believe Sakurai would want her. I have to agree with you on the dlc front though. If Lloyd got in the initial roster then I think it would really hurt her chances for example. However, if we do get Xenosaga HD or a sequel then the possibility of her becoming a fighter will further increase for dlc. And yeah, KOS-MOS is generally well received but not many people speculate her as you said. That being said, I found people supporting KOS-MOS over at gamefaqs today and I thought it would prove as useful statistics as a frame of reference for the thread here. You are in fact right that KOS-MOS getting a scaled figure before those main characters is because she is much more popular. And for what it's worth.... if KOS-MOS ever makes it to smash I can only hope that Sakurai uses your work as a reference.

I have played and beaten all 3 Xenosaga games on the PS2. If we got KOS-MOS in Smash as the next Namco rep, I would be pleasantly surprised.
I have as well! I'm glad that you have decided to become a supporter. KOS-MOS has lots of great scenes in Xenosaga. My favourite has to be the scene where she destroys the Gnosis with X buster.

Here is the gamefaqs poll I mentioned where KOS-MOS was well received: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76917435 As you can all see, KOS-MOS was very well received and this is not my poll. I would love to see more support like this from Japanese boards instead.

Also, here's the scene where Fiora meets KOS-MOS in Projext X Zone 2

You could see how impressive they act as a duo. It's sad Fiora is only a final smash animation in the new smash but their chemistry together is really well done!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I will state it seems people are taking in account release dates rather than when they started development, seeming as we have BOTW and Mario Odyssey content in Smash, now with BOTW, I'm sure we all know that game's lengthy game development time, but with Mario Odyssey, I'd say it and Xenoblade 2 were developed at the same time as each other, meaning (even though this also can help Rex with Pyra/Mythra along with any other competitors KOS-MOS has from that game) that there was enough time for characters from that game being considered, and even then if you want to go the release date route... there is literally less than a two month gap between Xenoblade 2 and Odyssey, so... not really a big one and I still think there was time for characters from that game to be considered, including KOS-MOS. Plus, JRPGs naturally have a longer and lengthier development time than a 3-D platformer, even if it is something like Odyssey, so I'll go far enough to say Xenoblade 2 was actually in development before Odyssey because of that.

Nonetheless the point is here: Anyone or anything from Xenoblade 2 is certainly a valid choice for Smash Ultimate, including characters like KOS-MOS due to that being their most recent appearance.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai has mentioned that his methodology for selecting characters for his rosters is to look into new characters, as well as -and this is the important part- games that are currently in development. Also, considering Fiora and Elma's characters were inspired in part by KOS-MOS, it's pretty clear Monolith and, by extension, Nintendo recognizes her character and themes still resonate with people.

Oh, and as a fun fact for the design on KOS-MOS RE:, when Tanaka was interviewed on KOS-MOS's a new design for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, he mentioned that his goal was to create a design that would mark her as "The Symbol of Xenosaga." While it might be reaching, that kind of language, as well as making sure the design was done by her original artist, suggests to me that they're planning to RE: her definitive version moving forward. Either way, it stands to reason that they wouldn't have gone so far out of their way to give her a brand new design (and as close to official as you can possibly get without having been in the Xenosaga games) were they only intending to use it for XC2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So we now know that Sakurai is picking based on the ballot this time around due to this https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

This potentially will put KOS-MOS on the radar for a 2nd Namco representative but she will definitley struggle with the likes of Lloyd and Heihachi. My hope is that Sakurai goes for the more interesting pick and the reasons given for the characters and just doesnt pick one for popularity. We'll have to see but in the interview he definitely cited number of votes so It could look grim.

Let's hope Sakurai's praise and love for Xenoblade 2 puts KOS-MOS high up there.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Out of all the possible second Namco reps available, I would want KOS-MOS the most! Hopefully Namco will have some sway for a suggested character since they're working on the game and hopefully they'll go with one of their darlings over a different rep.~

Please add me to the supporter list. ^^

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Gotta admit, never thought of Kos-mos. A worthy candidate for smash was right under my nose all along.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I know they're different series but they are loosely connected...

Would she use the Xenoblade icon or would she get a new one to represent Xenosaga?

Last edited:

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
I know they're different series but they are loosely connected...

Would she use the Xenoblade icon or would she get a new one to represent Xenosaga?
definetly new one, she is 3rd party. I´d even say that Geno should get his own icon, but KOS-MOS even more so. I mean, Yoshi has his own icon

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they opted to simply give KOS-MOS the Manado icon. That being said... I personally feel like she ought have her own, with the main candidate (in my mind) being either a Zohar or Vector's logo... so... being that I already made a Zohar emblem (as seen in my signature), put this together real quick for a potential Vector Emblem.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if KOS-MOS isn't in the base game, there's still a decent chance that she, Elma, or Rex and Pyra will be DLC

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
What do you think in terms of Assist Trophys to acompany her?
Shion and Jr. would be the obvious ones, but an E.S. might also work in my opinion
Shion could be a stage cameo in KOS-MOS's stage and use spell ray or something. Assist trophy could work too and she can use spell ray. Or maybe she can summon erde kaiser as an assist trophy! I think an E.S or A.W.G.S could work too. Maybe Momo or something could work too with her wand/bow.

After seeing this video I found, I am convince. I support KOS-MOS!
Wow, this is incredible! Them meeting up maybe hints that Elma and KOS-MOS are more marketed! Or it could mean that they will have relevance in the next Xeno title! This video put a smile on my face and now we just need Elly as a blade in xb2. If anything, maybe this could be a hint towards smash too! We will have to see.

Even if KOS-MOS isn't in the base game, there's still a decent chance that she, Elma, or Rex and Pyra will be DLC
Yeah, I'm thinking that as well. They all have a good chance.

Also, just for fun. Do you think they would add KOS-MOS's swimsuit as an alt? If Shulk got one then I see no reason why they wouldn't. Failing that, they could use her Baseball outfit from that obscure namco baseball game.

Last edited:

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
KOS-MOS in smash would be so awesome.
Xenosaga had such a good story and she is a really cool character.
I think there is a chance she might be in, even if it's not that big.

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Hello I just wanna say KOS-MOS is my most wanted newcomer

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hello I just wanna say KOS-MOS is my most wanted newcomer
Hey there! I think I know you from Resetera! It is great to have you here.

Also, for KOS-MOS, I dont really think she would need a stage. There's already 103 stages and I can't see her getting any stages unless maybe she can share a stage with Rex/Pyra when they inevitably get in as dlc.

But if she were to get a stage i'd probably put the Woglinde as 1st choice or Kukai foundation. Woglinde would be in her pod room and Shion could be a stage cameo and blast people with her weapon. It's just ideas but for Kukai foundation it's a pretty cool city in that it is in space. Maybe you could start fighting in the town and then it can change areas much like many stages we already have in smash.

However, she doesnt really need a stage. I've seen people make the argument that she can get in just based on her Xenoblade 2 appearance and share a stage with whoever is the new xenoblade representative from 2 if it happens.

Also, the OP has been reformatted as there were lots of broken links. I added some stuff and more videos of her abilities.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Made another thing; character select fighter icon this time.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Please add me to the support list!
Been a long time lurker since the brawl days and I owe it to myself to finally get on here and support the characters that I love!
I remember going through Xenosaga 1-3 when they came out and fell in love with the story. I have a feeling KOS-MOS has a bigger chance than people give her credit for. She certainly seems like a character Sakurai would gravitate towards including.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
This was posted on 4Chan

View attachment 161656
Yeah, someone pointed this out to me on discord yesterday. It's obviously fake even though it tries hard to be like Sakurai with the text, we have fighter #68 missing who isn't revealed yet plus she would have her original symbol. Unless the smash symbol was just a placeholder. I like how this leak mentions her arsenal of weapons and the last line I am assuming means her Ice crest move can be charged.

That one looks a little weird: the Smash logo is where the fighter’s series should be, so wouldn’t the Monado be there instead?
But if that’s just WIP, then it looks pretty convincing.
KOS-MOS would get her own symbol and not the Monado.

Please add me to the support list!
Been a long time lurker since the brawl days and I owe it to myself to finally get on here and support the characters that I love!
I remember going through Xenosaga 1-3 when they came out and fell in love with the story. I have a feeling KOS-MOS has a bigger chance than people give her credit for. She certainly seems like a character Sakurai would gravitate towards including.
Hiya and thank you for supporting KOS-MOS! Yeah, she has chances alright. She's also in a few leaks,

I can point them out here.

This video was posted yesterday

I think this one is fake though cause I can't see Elma getting in with her as only 1 should get in.

This one was posted today

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/430264313/super-smash-bros-ultimate-part-2

Lloyd and KOS-MOS in the same game sounds fake, personally but the rest I could see happening with it being called Ultimate. Take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, the other "leak" is the image above which is fake most likely.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
I would contest the notion that Elma couldn't get in alongside KOS-MOS. KP-X currently holds a dual-nature as a Xeno character -with Refrain coming to represent a new fanbase garnered in Xenoblade Chronicles 2- and a Namco darling. Either of these statuses could be leveraged as a reason for her inclusion, if not both.

Furthermore, given Xenoblade's rising star within Nintendo, and with the roster currently holding only Shulk, it wouldn't surprise me if we were to see multiple Xeno newcomers this game. Couple that with how KOS-MOS and Elma have very similar skeletal structures/body types, saving on development time for one after completing the other, and the likelihood of such an event becomes even less far-fetched.

That said, given Sakurai explicitly stated
"This time, we plan to reveal the design of every fighter before the game launches." I'd point more towards this secret character as the mark of falsehood. We know Sakurai is sometimes misleading, or purposefully vague, but he doesn't outright lie in regards to Smash. This suggests the only real room for interpretation in the statement, barring translation errors, would be if the key words "the design" hold special meaning that, through technicality, wouldn't apply to this secret fighter. Not impossible, but quite unlikely.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This one was posted today

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/430264313/super-smash-bros-ultimate-part-2

Lloyd and KOS-MOS in the same game sounds fake, personally but the rest I could see happening with it being called Ultimate. Take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, the other "leak" is the image above which is fake most likely.
You know, it wouldn't be too farfetched. Lloyd being the Namco rep and KOS-MOS being the Monolith rep. Of course typing that out sounds weird...who knows?

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Lynn got bored again; here's what came of it this time.

Still having trouble deciding on a good emblem for Xenosaga. The Zohar continues to feel the most fitting, but as I have been having troubles creating Marienkind in a suitably simplistic style... opted towards the Emulator which set the story in motion.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Well, I posted this over in the Newcomer Speculation Discussion yesterday, but given it was entirely ignored either way, may as well drop it here as well. Goal was to get non-supporters to entertain the thought, but could also be of use to supporters who want something to think about.

- - - - - - - - - -​

I'm not terribly sure where to start, so I'll just go with the busywork preamble

KOS-MOS is a character who first appears in Monolith Soft's first work as a studio, "Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht" which was published by Namco. Since this time, she has been established as a mascot of sorts for both companies, making cameo and crossover appearances many times across several platforms.

As for Nintendo platforms -which are most relevant to this particular argument- KOS-MOS has appeared in

-"Xenosaga Episodes I&II" for Nintendo DS (2006)
-"Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier" for Nintendo DS (2008)
-"Project X Zone" for Nintendo 3DS (2012)
-"Project X Zone 2" for Nintendo 3DS (2015)
-"Xenoblade Chronicles 2" for Nintendo Switch (2017)

It is perhaps also noteworthy that both Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles and Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X take inspiration from Xenosaga's gynoid savior.

To get into more circumstantial points. Bandai-Namco trademarked "Also Sprach Zerathusdra" in the US 2 months prior to the official announcement for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at E3. This suggests Bandai-Namco has plans for Xenosaga Episode III moving forward, and implies intent on their part to utilize that trademark in some fashion, such as with a remake, or perhaps a digital port to the Switch.

Regardless, it illustrates Bandai-Namco believes Xenosaga is and/or will soon be quite marketable. To lend further credence to that sentiment, a scale figure for KOS-MOS Re: was announced on July 28th of this year.
For reference, the only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 figure to be commisioned prior to KOS-MOS Re: was a coordinated pair for Pyra & Mythra, meaning Xenosaga's gynoid heroine was chosen over fan favorites like Nia and Morag, despite being a cameo. Also, as a bit of food for thought: It is not unlikely the KOS-MOS scale figure will be completed and made available right around Smash Ultimate's release date, given production periods.

As for the design itself, it is probable the overall goal for the design was to bring KOS-MOS into the modern day, and to do so in as near to an official capacity as could be achieved without another installment in the Xenosaga series. To accomplish this, Kunihiko Tanaka (KOS-MOS's original designer) was called in. He later provided an article on the process for inclusion in "Production Notes." Two pieces of note being the core idea to display KOS-MOS as "The Symbol of Xenosaga" as well as the Re: in KOS-MOS Re: standing for "refrain", or the idea of being "born again"

[Disclaimer: This Part is my own speculation]

While those sentiments aren't too substantial by themselves, I personally find it worth noting that completely re-designing KOS-MOS solely to include her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was entirely unnecessary. Neither V1 nor V4 would have appeared out of place within XC2's aesthetics, while any alterations to her design would need be cleared by Namco at every turn. Which is to say, quite an extreme effort for a cameo. This, in addition to the scale figure mentioned prior, alludes toward KOS-MOS Re: being put forth as a definitive design moving forward, so we should expect to see more of it in the future.

(Also, specifically in regards to Smash Brothers, it is not unlikely that KOS-MOS has been suggested by both Namco and Monolith before, but that V4 was turned down for being too risque for Sakurai's tastes. This re-imagining of her is far more in line with Nintendo's philosophies.)

- - - - - - - - - -

As for competition, there are some notable marks against her most staunch rivals.

Heihachi: To quote Katsuhiro Harada, “We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know.”

Now, his opinion on the matter may have changed over installments, but given Smash Ultimate brought in professional Street Fighter and Tekken players for their event matches at EVO this year, if Heihachi were in the base roster, that would have been the best possible time to announce him, using the gathering of fighting game pros to showcase Heihachi vs Ryu. His failure to appear at that venue significantly reduce his odds of inclusion in my mind.

Lloyd Irving: While Sakurai has stated before that Lloyd would be the Tales representative he'd be most likely to consider for the roster, and has also given him a Mii costume, he has also expressed dismay at the number of swordfighters in Smash. While admittedly minor, that alone may have him relegated to an Alucard-esque assist trophy.

- - - - - - - - - -

That about covers it.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I offer my support for KOS-MO!S I've had my copies of Xenosaga 1 and 2, (need to get three soon, should be able to with Amazon account stash) and I need to get done with to Xenoblade X to move on to 2 so I can see KOSMOS in that, but I've always loved her character design despite having only barely touched so far my copy of Xenosaga 1.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Well, I posted this over in the Newcomer Speculation Discussion yesterday, but given it was entirely ignored either way, may as well drop it here as well. Goal was to get non-supporters to entertain the thought, but could also be of use to supporters who want something to think about.

- - - - - - - - - -​

I'm not terribly sure where to start, so I'll just go with the busywork preamble

KOS-MOS is a character who first appears in Monolith Soft's first work as a studio, "Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht" which was published by Namco. Since this time, she has been established as a mascot of sorts for both companies, making cameo and crossover appearances many times across several platforms.

As for Nintendo platforms -which are most relevant to this particular argument- KOS-MOS has appeared in

-"Xenosaga Episodes I&II" for Nintendo DS (2006)
-"Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier" for Nintendo DS (2008)
-"Project X Zone" for Nintendo 3DS (2012)
-"Project X Zone 2" for Nintendo 3DS (2015)
-"Xenoblade Chronicles 2" for Nintendo Switch (2017)

It is perhaps also noteworthy that both Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles and Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X take inspiration from Xenosaga's gynoid savior.

To get into more circumstantial points. Bandai-Namco trademarked "Also Sprach Zerathusdra" in the US 2 months prior to the official announcement for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at E3. This suggests Bandai-Namco has plans for Xenosaga Episode III moving forward, and implies intent on their part to utilize that trademark in some fashion, such as with a remake, or perhaps a digital port to the Switch.

Regardless, it illustrates Bandai-Namco believes Xenosaga is and/or will soon be quite marketable. To lend further credence to that sentiment, a scale figure for KOS-MOS Re: was announced on July 28th of this year.
For reference, the only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 figure to be commisioned prior to KOS-MOS Re: was a coordinated pair for Pyra & Mythra, meaning Xenosaga's gynoid heroine was chosen over fan favorites like Nia and Morag, despite being a cameo. Also, as a bit of food for thought: It is not unlikely the KOS-MOS scale figure will be completed and made available right around Smash Ultimate's release date, given production periods.

As for the design itself, it is likely the overall goal for the design was to bring KOS-MOS into the modern day, and to do so in as near to an official capacity as could be achieved without another installment in the Xenosaga series. To accomplish this, Kunihiko Tanaka (KOS-MOS's original designer) was called in. He later provided an article on the process for inclusion in "Production Notes." Two pieces of note being the core idea to display KOS-MOS as "The Symbol of Xenosaga" as well as the Re: in KOS-MOS Re: standing for "refrain", or the idea of being "born again"

[Disclaimer: This Part is my own speculation]

While those sentiments aren't too substantial by themselves, I personally find it worth noting that completely re-designing KOS-MOS solely to include her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was entirely unnecessary. Neither V1 nor V4 would have appeared out of place within XC2's aesthetics, while any alterations to her design would need be cleared by Namco at every turn. Which is to say, quite an extreme effort for a cameo. This, in addition to the scale figure mentioned prior, alludes toward KOS-MOS Re: being put forth as a definitive design moving forward, so we should expect to see more of it in the future.

(Also, specifically in regards to Smash Brothers, it is not unlikely that KOS-MOS has been suggested by both Namco and Monolith before, but that V4 was turned down for being too risque for Sakurai's tastes. This re-imagining of her is far more in line with Nintendo's philosophies.)

- - - - - - - - - -

As for competition, there are some notable marks against her most staunch rivals.

Heihachi: To quote Katsuhiro Harada, “We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know.”

Now, his opinion on the matter may have changed over installments, but given Smash Ultimate brought in professional Street Fighter and Tekken players for their event matches at EVO this year, if Heihachi were in the base roster, that would have been the best possible time to announce him, using the gathering of fighting game pros to showcase Heihachi vs Ryu. His failure to appear at that venue significantly reduce his odds of inclusion in my mind.

Lloyd Irving: While Sakurai has stated before that Lloyd would be the Tales representative he'd be most likely to consider for the roster, and has also given him a Mii costume, he has also expressed dismay at the number of swordfighters in Smash. While admittedly minor, that alone may have him relegated to an Alucard-esque assist trophy.

- - - - - - - - - -

That about covers it.
The link to the quote has been 404'd

NukeA6

Smash Master
Throw me in the support list. I always loved KOS-MOS and she may be my favorite robot ever. She should at least be an assist trophy if not playable. I wouldn't even mind if she was a Mii costume either.

Top Bottom