• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The hardest part about an "appropriate percent" is that optimally it should be around 46%+ so that Falco really can only get off one or two grabs. You can either play runaway or shield less to eat more lasers but most of the time the Falco player will either catch on or eventually start inching in to fish for the grab.

So really your best bet to mitigate the chaingrab problem is to either sit back and purposely take damage or stand towards the edge so that the damage is lessened severely.

Basically, you can't really "outwait" Falco. No Falco player should be that dumb to not notice that you're not approaching. Eventually you will get grabbed, so it's not really a question of will it happen so much as a question of when or at what % it will happen at. If there was just as much risk for Falco getting grabbed as it is for us (technically this is true), then he would have to keep his distance also. This in turn would help us in taking more laser damage, which is huge for us because while his grab gimmicks are percent dependent, Bowser's are not (outside of getting a kill)

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
I just recently signed up to this forum but I have been lurking for some time and as you would have guessed, I am quite the Bowser fan. I am real interested in improving my Bowser play but I got one big issue regarding the character and SSBB in general - movement. I use the Gamecube controller and I find it very difficult to do things such as "short hops" or quickly run and shield without accidentally doing a dodge tumble or even drop fast from on height.

My question is though, what is the best way to practice movement as Bowser? I mean say emulating the speed of some of the Bowser players in the replays. I don't mean just jumping up, down, left or right but actual movement. I see some people on here (Replays thread) jump REALLY fast as Bowser, after just holding onto the ledge, yet no matter how hard I move the joystick up, it's just a regular hop. Inversely, when I just tap the joystick up, he does a full jump rather than the quick jumps I see on here. Sometimes I wish the joystick was more or less sensitive but I find a lot of these things so hard to do, what seems to be, the most basic things if the replay thread is anything to go by. Heck I even can't get when a character grabs onto the edge reliably, sometimes they just...run off straight. So my question to you is, as Bowser, what is the best way to practice movement, hops, and such? Or is it just a case of practicing with the GC joystick till me finger falls off?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I just recently signed up to this forum but I have been lurking for some time and as you would have guessed, I am quite the Bowser fan. I am real interested in improving my Bowser play but I got one big issue regarding the character and SSBB in general - movement. I use the Gamecube controller and I find it very difficult to do things such as "short hops" or quickly run and shield without accidentally doing a dodge tumble or even drop fast from on height.

My question is though, what is the best way to practice movement as Bowser? I mean say emulating the speed of some of the Bowser players in the replays. I don't mean just jumping up, down, left or right but actual movement. I see some people on here (Replays thread) jump REALLY fast as Bowser, after just holding onto the ledge, yet no matter how hard I move the joystick up, it's just a regular hop. Inversely, when I just tap the joystick up, he does a full jump rather than the quick jumps I see on here. Sometimes I wish the joystick was more or less sensitive but I find a lot of these things so hard to do, what seems to be, the most basic things if the replay thread is anything to go by. Heck I even can't get when a character grabs onto the edge reliably, sometimes they just...run off straight. So my question to you is, as Bowser, what is the best way to practice movement, hops, and such? Or is it just a case of practicing with the GC joystick till me finger falls off?
It sounds like you might do better with tap jump off which you can set in options, controls to your tag iirc. This would make out of shield stuff harder but would make movement considerably easier.
The first step is become comfortable with a character than move on to competitive stuff.

Top Bottom