• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kogani 2010 June 4th -6th Roanoke, Virginia Pre-Reg Now!

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie

Kogani Convention is a weekend long Video Game and Anime Convention in Roanoke Virginia. We will be hosting a number of tournaments through out the weekend our main events include:

Super Smash Bros Brawl Team

Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles

Super Smash Bros Melee Singles

For a list of rules to each tournament or for more information visit www.kogani.org

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
yeah can't do anything about the dates but thanks! maybe it'll get the attention of some locals who are feeling too lazy to travel =X

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
Awesome hope to see you there if you can make it. It'll be nice to meet some new brawl faces.

Shepp

Smash Apprentice
i think your rules need some work. a few of them sound like brawl rules and whats up with only fd and battlefield?

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
To Shepp: Thank you for the suggestion, as for the tournaments this year, these are the conditions of battle there will be 2 stages to select from Battlefield and Final Destination. Sorry if the melee rules are a bit confusing there was a late decision to accept melee into the tournament.

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
To g-regulate: If you cannot understand the importance of "These rules are subject to change at anytime without notice". I suggest you educate yourself just a bit before being sarcastic on a forum. As this convention is being advertised over radio, billboards, online etc this phrase is most important to avoid QQers such as yourself from ruining everyone else's fun by suing the convention for false or misleading advertisement when any error corrections are made to the rules (either typographical or re-wording something to convey something more accurately). The rules will not be completely re-written to say "Anyone who has a forum name of g-regulate will come in last place."

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
>_>

Oh ****, no you didn't.....

LoL, listen Koahltank, all Greg was doing expressing his opinion about how this tourney seemingly is being run. I seriously doubt he's even attending. But you know what? He's right. These rules are just about the crappiest I've ever seen. I'm not complaining though, just thought you might be able to use the advice, if you can humble yourself enough to do so, that is. Also, don't assume you know something about ppl here based on one post, when you yourself obviously have little experience in competitive Smash. I know both Shepp and Greg personally; they've been around the block. Coming fresh to a community and right off the bat accusing veterans and calling ppl names is not the best way to gain any type of positive recognition. Listen, don't take this personally, I'm just trying to help you out, man. I hope all goes well at the tourney and everyone has a lot of fun. I may dust off the stick and come, if I don't have anything else to do that weekend, which may or not be the case. I won't be there because I think it will be a good tourney, but it sounds like it might be fun. Never been to an anime con, either. We'll see...

Oh, and do you have a schedule for the games themselves? Like when is Melee going to be held?

Whatup Gregory...

We gotta practice, Eric....

LoL @ 1st post in 6 months...

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
Thank you for sharing your opinion about the rules maybe next year there might be some tweeking. Should not be a problem for you "veterans". A good player can play under any condition.

Also, don't assume you know something about ppl here based on one post, when you yourself obviously have little experience in competitive Smash.
Firstly, no assumptions were made on my part so I don't see the reason for your belligerence. Secondly, Just because we are not using generally accepted rules does not mean we have no experience in competitive smash. This is not our first brawl tournament, So kindly adhere to your own advice. As for melee I will admit the rules do need some work but we have advertised too much at this point to change so these will be the conditions of battle for this year.

Coming fresh to a community and right off the bat accusing veterans and calling ppl names is not the best way to gain any type of positive recognition
The only people so far doing just that is YOUR community: 3 negative replys. Are there any positive smashers here? There is a difference between opinion and sarcasm and I was merely defending against something I perceived as sarcasm. Shepp was giving an opinion which I replied to respectfully. Gregg did not, and thus MY sarcastic reply and facetious rebuttal. So, I do not see a valid reason for your flame, unless that's just something your community takes pride in doing. This is a post letting you know about what's happening, not to butt-heads, not to start a debate over why the rules are "blah", or "why those stages why not QQ", or "he said she said" flaming. Try constructive criticism if you really want to see something changed.

Listen, don't take this personally, I'm just trying to help you out, man. I hope all goes well at the tourney and everyone has a lot of fun
Thank you for your attempt at being sincere (I am not being sarcastic and I do appreciate that). None of this is being taken personally. I am merely just defending. You can dis like something and say it respectfully just don't go attacking something you haven't been to or participated in. I know there are a set of rules that "veterans" expect to see at tournaments. This is not those other tournaments. So please don't expect that. Different rules, different challenge. "A good player can play under any condition."

Oh, and do you have a schedule for the games themselves?
Not at this time, we are working on a comprehensive schedule. Brawl and Melee are only 2 of the 11 tournaments at the convention. When it is ready, the schedule will be posted on the website and also posted during the convention. (Thank you for taking an interest.)

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Will you post the schedule when it is made? I along with one or two of my friends I'm brining might not stay the whole weekend, so I'd like to know at least when Melee will be happening. Thanks...

c3gill

Smash Ace
"Matches will be three-stock, 6-minute brawls with NO ITEMS on either Final Destination or Battlefield 1 player vs 1 player. The winner will advance to the next round of the tournament in a double elimination style bracket. All players will start on Final Destination then loser may request to change to Battlefield or Stay on Final Destination."
This is about where you lost me. Lets assume Player A plays Player B, and Player C plays Player D in the first round.

A beats B in the first game- on FD
C beats D in the first game- on FD

There is nothing mentioned about sets, either 2/3 or 3/5 or whatever. so now we will assume A plays C and B plays D. Player B decides he wants to play on BF, but Player D wants to stay on FD. What happens here?

I dont really want to assume anything specific about your tournament rules, but they are pretty vague. Is there any way I could get you to clarify?

additionally, you say in the "what ifs" section- that in case both players are at equal lives, the player who took the least amount of damage wins. Not the player with the lower percentage of health on their current life, but the player who took the least overall?

"A good player can play under any condition."
fair enough. but your stage selection is very..... limited. And tbh it leads one to think that your tournament gives the greatest advantage to spammy characters who just avoid getting hit, especially as a match only lasts 6 minutes.

to throw another scenario at you real fast- You decide to go Falco and I play as Ness. You decide to spam lasers, i just hold PSImag. For 6 minutes. I accidentally let go for a second (your GF was looking at me and I got caught up in that look she was giving me)- and took a hit, but immediately after was healed because I started holding my Mag again. After 6 minutes of this BS- you will win the match, because I took 3%, even though we both had full health and 3 lives?

just stuff to consider. throw up a schedule when you get one, so we can see when stuff is happening?

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
Rules have been updated to clarify c3gill's questions. Schedule will be posted Monday 5/10

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
"10:00pm Super Smash Bros Melee"

Please tell me that this is a late April Fool's joke. If you're expecting no more than 4 people to come, then 10 pm's a great starting time. Have you ever thought of the people that might be coming from out of the area and not staying overnight? *sigh* And Marvel's starting at 11? I just don't get it. has anyone running this event ever been to a tourny before?

Anyway, good luck....

koalhtahk

Smash Rookie
10:00PM is not a joke. As it states this is an anime and video game convention. **Not** just a melee tournament. This is not the same as other tournaments. This is not their rule set. As for melee's late time slot. Consider it an "i love your forums attitude" present. In fact its not just your forum but most of the melee community has been doing nothing but crying about every little aspect about the game. Heaven forbid you adapt to a different rule-set or change. Oh wait I forgot you are all still playing melee. I guess crying keeps you from having to purchase a wii or upgrading your tv to HD or learning new tricks. Flame it all you want but that is what you all have conveyed. Enjoy your bubble. If everyone was like the majority of Melee's community we'd still be playing ATARI. Or worse ...burning people at the stake for being witches. Come if you want or don't the convention will go on. Or you can shut-up and show off and leave with money. (OH %$#@ no he didn't) Once again this is a rebuttal take it however you want. To everyone else who has replied respectfully: Thank you and hope to see you there.

***This is the final post. There will be no more replies to nor questions answered here on this forum***
***This is the final post. There will be no more replies to nor questions answered here on this forum***

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Sup Hbox...

Forgot to ask you before, Koahltank: what did the guys at SRK say to you to give Marvel an 11 o'clock start time, huh? Must've been something nasty...LoL

Top Bottom