• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Known Ice Climber Technique new way of doing it

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to figure out how people were grabbing people with the ice climbers and charging a smash. After searching through i found people saying forward c-stick /a and the grab button. Which i thought was kind of weird and i kept having numerous problems trying to do it. However I figured out another way. I like to think of this as a instant kill really after the person reached 100% damage. Grab the person then tap the C-stick and hold A the opposite ice climber will start charging and you can let it go as you feel. It has done wonders for me :). Always go the for the grab the split second someone gets to 100 because its harder for them to escape.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
this is how unleet i was at first I did not know everyone was using c-stick grab button to charge up the smash so i Litterally would move my hand off the analog stick onto the A-button at 100% its like there is plenty of time even with the person mashing buttons to try to get out i tested it throughly.

Sigh * i just wanted to be good with IC ;\ I am considering like selling my brawl.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
O_O Wow, don't go extreme about this. If you aren't doing good with IC, keep practicing and some results should come out. If IC Climbers aren't your character (I hope not), find another character that you think you might like. If your truly not having fun, I guess there really is no point in playing a game that you hate so I guess that would be up to you. Just consider everything first. It took me so long to understand the new concept of chaingrabbing, let alone the time it took me to even start showing progress (2 minutes....) but even though I haven't fully mastered how to have a consistent chain, I still practice on making it work the way I want it to.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
well first let me explain what happend why i was going to litterally return my game/trade it in at "gamestop" ( a local game store that sells video games). Everytime i played IC i litterally got humiliated first i lost to my three friends who are actually good. really only two of them are really good and one of them is just ok.. good in my eyes. Anyway it was so jacked up I got punished every single time I played countless hours, days and nights. At first i though that they did not want me to play ic because they were afriad of the God-Teir that i saw in them. But that is another story in itself. They litterally beat the **** out of me every time I played IC never won a single match after every loss they insited i change charactors. They said that it was not even fun beating me anymore. Then they started to find more inivative ways of trying to beat me like assasinating nana then tossing popo off and spiking him. Or juggleing me to the darkness . Then when i reached litterally 0 interms of my confidence in them i went to my other friends house (now this guy sucks I am going to be real with you) I was like God i need a sign make me just **** him and feel somewhat good about myself since i have been losing all week. He beat me with ROB!!! it was the most discusting thing i ever saw in my life . Now your saying right now "But Rob is good you should not feel bad" the problem with this is that he only plays when other people are around and the only person he plays with is his brother who suck!!!! omg you could throw the guy off and he probally might die. So how could he have gotten good playing such a sucky person? So that must mean i suck that bad with the IC. I know this is a bit off subject but I even lost to this guy in Tekken who can't even do air combos!! I littearlly lost to basic techniques and throws. Imagine dying just to counter hits or one punch at a time. It would be the eqeavalent in smash to someone jabing you to death using no smashes or grabs. Then on top of that at this point your thinking why not just ask your 3 good friends for help. Lets call my friends that are good A, B & C.

A- I don't feel as I can learn anything from him because he only can play certain type of charactors. Not versatile at all.

B- Really versatile and probally helpful knowlege but refuses to help me get good with IC because he hates them and said i'll never be good in compettive play with them because they get to easy to kill once one dies and you lose your up+b which leaves you extremely vulnerable. He will help me get good with anyone but IC.

C- Yea also somewhat versatile will probally enjoy probally helping me even offered help my hugest problem with him is that he litterally copies everything he sees. In helping me try to learn them better he might start playing them and if he starts playing them i'll have no chance in getting good with them because he will abuse them to death he allready grabs really well. ( I want to be the one abusing them to death) Also anything that he possible shows me or helps me learn or improve on i can never use against him the way how he beats people is figure out how to beat the person and they're playing style. So losing to him may not suggest you actually suck but he just figured out how to beat you. Similarly if all three of them A, B & C fought a group of 3 people. A- might win or lose, B- will do averagly good but C - may crush them if they are suckier than he is but even in the event of his lose 3 matches later he has found how to beat you. So anoying. You have to litterally change who you are everytime you play him.

Anyway... when i tried to give it back to Gamestop or rather trade it in they were closed for 4th of July I was not even thinking abou it . So i took it as a sign maybe i am destined to be great with IC I dreamed i made a combo video. Posted a link up on the forum and people were congradulating me and said i came a far way. Hope it comes true.

ADHD

Smash Hero
well first let me explain what happend why i was going to litterally return my game/trade it in at "gamestop" ( a local game store that sells video games). Everytime i played IC i litterally got humiliated first i lost to my three friends who are actually good. really only two of them are really good and one of them is just ok.. good in my eyes. Anyway it was so jacked up I got punished every single time I played countless hours, days and nights. At first i though that they did not want me to play ic because they were afriad of the God-Teir that i saw in them. But that is another story in itself. They litterally beat the **** out of me every time I played IC never won a single match after every loss they insited i change charactors. They said that it was not even fun beating me anymore. Then they started to find more inivative ways of trying to beat me like assasinating nana then tossing popo off and spiking him. Or juggleing me to the darkness . Then when i reached litterally 0 interms of my confidence in them i went to my other friends house (now this guy sucks I am going to be real with you) I was like God i need a sign make me just **** him and feel somewhat good about myself since i have been losing all week. He beat me with ROB!!! it was the most discusting thing i ever saw in my life . Now your saying right now "But Rob is good you should not feel bad" the problem with this is that he only plays when other people are around and the only person he plays with is his brother who suck!!!! omg you could throw the guy off and he probally might die. So how could he have gotten good playing such a sucky person? So that must mean i suck that bad with the IC. I know this is a bit off subject but I even lost to this guy in Tekken who can't even do air combos!! I littearlly lost to basic techniques and throws. Imagine dying just to counter hits or one punch at a time. It would be the eqeavalent in smash to someone jabing you to death using no smashes or grabs. Then on top of that at this point your thinking why not just ask your 3 good friends for help. Lets call my friends that are good A, B & C.

A- I don't feel as I can learn anything from him because he only can play certain type of charactors. Not versatile at all.

B- Really versatile and probally helpful knowlege but refuses to help me get good with IC because he hates them and said i'll never be good in compettive play with them because they get to easy to kill once one dies and you lose your up+b which leaves you extremely vulnerable. He will help me get good with anyone but IC.

C- Yea also somewhat versatile will probally enjoy probally helping me even offered help my hugest problem with him is that he litterally copies everything he sees. In helping me try to learn them better he might start playing them and if he starts playing them i'll have no chance in getting good with them because he will abuse them to death he allready grabs really well. ( I want to be the one abusing them to death) Also anything that he possible shows me or helps me learn or improve on i can never use against him the way how he beats people is figure out how to beat the person and they're playing style. So losing to him may not suggest you actually suck but he just figured out how to beat you. Similarly if all three of them A, B & C fought a group of 3 people. A- might win or lose, B- will do averagly good but C - may crush them if they are suckier than he is but even in the event of his lose 3 matches later he has found how to beat you. So anoying. You have to litterally change who you are everytime you play him.

Anyway... when i tried to give it back to Gamestop or rather trade it in they were closed for 4th of July I was not even thinking abou it . So i took it as a sign maybe i am destined to be great with IC I dreamed i made a combo video. Posted a link up on the forum and people were congradulating me and said i came a far way. Hope it comes true.
The ice climbers take more skill than any other character. It maybe take another month of practice, or even more time before you can actually play with them (yes play with them). Just have patience, if you don't advance with them, then main another character but honestly I think you just need practice.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Yea man, it's just that the character you chose is inherently hard to learn. I'm sure most of us have been through that, but then they suck it up and get better. It's all perseverence.

iceclimbersinfinent

Smash Apprentice
i had the same problem starting out, i did not know how to chain grab or desynch, but thats another story, the point is keep trying they are hard to get good with

juki

Smash Cadet
When I started in Brawl with Ic's i had alot of help from my former experiences in melee since I mained ic's in melee.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
How Brawl did not get traded in :)

Well guys I would like to say that my life has changed sort of. I have finnally earned some type of respect! Sorry for the late replies as you know i am usually on here but I was at a friends house who did not have internet. Let me tell you what happend. Ok I was like being put on super tilt (tilt is a poker term that means once you lose a set amount you do progressingly worse the more you lose). Well after i could not beat A, B , Or C and lost every single game i could not take it anymore. I reach 0 when I attempted to return the game but it failed since it was the 4th of july gamestop closed. So later that day C was like maybe its a sign that you'll be leet with IC or something how does someone fail at selling brawl. So I tried playing them and MILLER!! you know who you are he was like directly suggesting things to me and was trying them it was helpful. But this was the life changer right here I was thinking to myself ice locking looks like its a down throw fair then spam that ice block. Then all of a sudden I did it on a computer and i was like man that computer is just being stupid he can get out. Then I put the computer on "attack" same thing. So then i went to my friends house ( that sucks) but was apparently wipping my beating me, Very discouraging until that faithful day the 6th I suddenly started grabing people and taking names with Ice locking. Then that night A, B, C said you trying to chill and play some smash I was like man.. I don't know... I quit smash you guys are to good :). Also playing pit just because i want to win a match thats no skill. But reperations! happend I went there and they were allready clowning my ic on no here goes those bum ic man 3-life him so he can stop picking them this is getting so anoying. " face it you suck with them". Then Match one IC vs captain falcon (A playing). The most disrespectful thing about this is he does not even play him he was trying to just make me look bad. All i have to say is ****!!! IC LOck FTW! 3-life. ! ( we only play 3 lives). When was getting ic locked B goes " lol stop being a newb move out the way!! or roll or something" that was priceless clearly never seeing the broken ic ice lockness which was surpises me.

Round 2 - IC vs Kirby (one of A's main i think his best).

I was doing my little pokes because now i have some type of technique which i did not have before. Trying to chip some damage in then I grabed his Pink cheeks and Ice blocked him to death lol he goes. (to B I don't think you can roll out of it. C goes thats it man you lost your cheeks are taken. ) grab Forward smash FTW it was close but he got ice locked 2 lives and i pulled the victory :).

3rd match he won BARLEY!!!!! Ice locking <3.

4th match tie breaker since we tossed out the captin falcon. Ice locked him swindled him the first stock because I grabed him forward smash off . secound stock I like Spike the sh(cencord)it out of him he juggled me off into the darkness could not recover. Last stock people were taking side bets against me which I did not even know!! till later. I won Ice lock Forward smash gg.

C goes I did not think you would even get a stock off on the kirby good stuff ...

B - goes you are a newb now

A- goes you can't escape that "ice sh*t"

Me- Priceless I guess i love smash ...

later I try to play B lol I could not even get near him he was spamming so much stuff LOL he was like your not going to grab me and do that Ice crap :p. I almost won. He was being extremly gay apparently somehow he picked up pikachu just to spam b's down a's and forward a's and a ocasional down b if you were above him it was really gay :). However i somehow got past it a game or two. I beat his stupid 2nd main donkey kong made me happy inside. But that diddy decyning kets me screwed because of the bannas. Also diddy is his main.

C- goes I knew Ic where top teir.

Matches between C were alot better but that metaknight still gives me alot of trouble. Then I totally forgot C also played snake and it was pretty bad I could not punish that up- B he stickied me jumps off the stage and explodes me. The most discusting thing about all of this is that snake stickies ic easily because nana puts it on poe :(.

denizen

Smash Apprentice
i play a lot of other chars and i recently decided to pick up ic's...i'm hearing a lot of things about how hard they are to learn...here's to hoping i have a steep learning curve!

denizen

Smash Apprentice
i already have a question, lol! i've been watching videos where the person is teaching chain grabbing and they instruct you to grab with popo and fair with nana...umm...this will sound nubbish...but how do you have nana do ANYTHING separate from popo? and how do you have her do specific moves? any help would be great...thanks!

Popertop

Smash Champion
when you grab, popo grabs first.
to do the fair you dthrow with popo and jump fair in the time Popo is throwing so when they get thrown they get hit by fair which puts them right in front of you for another grab.
if you wanna be real mean you can ice block after the fair and you can chase which way they go for another grab.

Ok, so does the charge smash with c-stick and a-button work with Melee IC too?
I'm picking them up in Melee and loving it I've almost got reverse dair chaingrab down it's sooo hard X)
I wasn't gonna pick IC up for Brawl, but I dunno, they seem kinda nice.

infomon

Smash Scientist
umm...this will sound nubbish...but how do you have nana do ANYTHING separate from popo? and how do you have her do specific moves?
Normally the ICs are together, and when you perform a move, Nana will do it slightly after Popo. But sometimes the ICs are split up or otherwise out of sync; maybe one is in hitstun, but the other's just chilling. Or one is busy swinging a hammer, and the other is just chilling. This is called Ice Climber desynching. In these times, you can perform almost any move, and only one of the ICs will do it. Or, you can sometimes get one input to make each of them do a different move, and this will get them out-of-sync for future moves as well.

Some desynchs are really simple; there's a way to dash-dance so that Nana gets really confused, and you can perform a move just with one of the ICs while the other just slides or crouches. Then with good timing you can get one of them to blizzard, the other smashes, the other grabs, the other blizzards, etc..... as you can imagine this is very powerful.

Just read through some of the stickied IC threads and you'll see all sorts of awesome vids and techniques with them :)

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Ways I desynching thus far are

-Grab
-Pivot
-sometimes through a smash attack that attacks while one smashes I try to run for a grab if that makes sense.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
I can only desynch out of the forward b, but if I am hit I can do it easily. Is there an easier way?

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
another thing people don't realize about desyncing is that although it has possibilities of surprising the opponent it also can set you up to get owned.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Lol, desyncing has done alot for me that helped a lot, especially in grab desync forms. I find a big problem in desyncing when you do a belay T_T. Anyone know how to prevent this?

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen the solution to the original problem.
Cstick and Z are how you charge a smash during a grab.
You can even use this while desynced to charge 2 different smashes at once.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen the solution to the original problem.
Cstick and Z are how you charge a smash during a grab.
You can even use this while desynced to charge 2 different smashes at once.
haha I guess its just the newb version of C-stick and z I did not know how people were doing it at first. works the same way I quickly moved my hand of the analog stick on to the c- stick and pressed a it was werid but it was actually working out for me until I found out the "other way"

Top Bottom