• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

knihT Interviews; You (Update: 13:47-1-12-09)

Pi

Smash Hero
Well I PC in tourney so :p.

Moonwalking without CF, m2, link, YL is just too difficult for me :urg:
lol
**** was mad easy when i started left hand clawing
gotta do it more w/ samus but more often than not i'm shootin rockets/chargin a ball so i don't get much time to do fancy stuff T.T
swd -> moonwalk is so cash

Expect Zhu's response soon.

Whenever soon is, though.
don't get my hopes up man!
can't wait :p

and axe needs to hurry his **** up

AXE 09

Smash Master
alright! sorry it took so long for me to reply lol. but... here goes ^^

Your Smash Career

1) How long have you been with the series? (since ssb64, started with melee, dropped brawl for melee)

I've actually been playing since smash 64 came out. once i heard about melee coming out, i HAD to get a game cube and get it asap lol. so i've technically been playing since the series first started, but i was always a competitive player until late 2006.

2) How did you discover competitive melee? (local tournament, met some pro's, etc. etc.)

There was a smash club at my high school when the 2006 school year started. i talked to one of the top players there, and he said "do you know about wavedashing?" i had no clue what he was talking about, so i decided to look at some vids on youtube and OMG! my mind was blown away from everything that i saw. the first vid that i saw was "shined blind" by zelgadis haha

3) How long have you been attending tournaments?

The first tournament i attended was the one before the school year ended in May 2006. it was a school tournament, and i got my butt kicked expecting to win. ever since that tournament, i wanted to get tons better at melee, so i practiced a lot. however, i didn't know about any advanced moves until a few months later. my first "real" tournament (the first one outside of my school) was in early 2007, and was called "AZone". Forward, Taj, Wobbles, Hugs, and a few other top players were there.

4) What keeps you stuck on this game? (community, the depth, the ever evolving metagame, etc. etc.)

One thing is the amazing depth of this game. just how you can ALWAYS get better. it seems like there's an infinite amount of possibilities to get better at this game. i also LOVE the community and the competition. pretty much everything you just listed in parenthesis lol

Pre-tournament

1) What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)

I usually just play normally. i play with other people almost EVERY day, and when i don't play with other people, i play 1 player mode a lot. i don't have any particular ruitene. however, when i get to the tournament, i usually like to play for maybe at least 30 minutes with some people to get the feel for my techskill. when i start a tournament match without warming up at first, i usually feel all stiff and stuff.

2) Anything different from normal routine?

pretty much explained everything above lol

3) If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)

above...

4) Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)

usually i just want to know what characters they play. i always look at videos of people, but i watch them more to help me think of new things rather than figure out how to beat whoever i'm watching.

5) What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)

normally, i always think "i can do this. i will win!" so basically... i want to become the best. like no one ever was.... lol jk. but seriously, i want to become the best smasher in the world one day

Pre-match

1) The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)

if i don't know what character they play, i usually tell myself that i'll pick pikachu. i've made the horrible mistake of underestimating players that i've never heard of in the past and it's costed me sets before. i know now to never make that mistake again. now, i always assume that they are as good or even better than i am. i will always try my best.

2) What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)

well, sad to say, i know this is bad, but... i usually don't worry about it at all. i'll go in and sandbag, maybe not even choose my main. i usually just try to have fun with it and make my opponent laugh or something lol. but there's been times before where someone who i normally beat all the time pulls off something crazy in a tournament. it's a horrible idea to sandbag in a tournament match even if you're almost 100% sure that you're gonna win. i've learned this the hard way.

3) What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)

even if i know that someone is better than me, i still give it my all. i always think that i still have a chance of beating them. if you don't try your hardest, you'll never know where you stand. i've squeezed off victories from people better than me just because i didn't give up, and they decided to not try their hardest. it's amazing when this happens in a major tournament lol

Pre-match 1

1) You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)

if i'm playing as pikachu, i always strike yoshi's. even though it has a low ceiling and i can get early kills, i still hate that stage with pika. it's so hard to move around. if i'm playing as falco, i either strike FoD or don't strike anything at all. sometimes i still strike yoshi's if i plan on playing pikachu after falco. if i win a match and it's my turn to ban a stage, i ban a stage according to what character they are. if they're peach/puff, i usually ban mute city. if they're falcon, i'd ban brinstar. if they play multiple characters, i usually just end up banning yoshi's

2) Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?

after they strike/ban a stage, i usually think about why they banned it. right before the match starts, i always get this crazy feeling when i'm fighting someone with a high skill or someone new. my heart starts pounding harder, and sometimes i feel like i'm about to sweat or actually do sweat. it's like a feeling of nervous and excited at the same time. i dunno why but i LOVE that feeling! i never get that feeling anywhere else other than when i'm playing in a tournament match. it seems like i totally forget about everything that's around me, and it seems like only the match that i'm about to be in exists. everything's focused on this one tv screen. i love melee =)

Match 1

1) Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)

it depends where on the stage i start and where my opponent starts. if it starts and i'm on the floor and my opponents on a platform (assuming i'm playing pikachu), i almost always go for a SH tailspike, and as they fall off the platform, i Usmash. this hits people a lot at the start of matches and it's great lol. if i start off and they're below me, i usually start off with a lightshield, maybe for like half a second, then waveshield. whether i start offensive or defensive depends where on the stage both of us start on. sometimes i try to predict the very first move my opponent will do and hit them with a suprise attack. for instance... say we both start on the left side of FD. i make an assumption that he will instantly try to run forward and Usmash me once the match starts, so i just grab in place and he runs into my grab =) that's pretty risky though, of course, but i only do things like that if i've faught the person before and i know that they like to start on the offense.

2) What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)
Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)

alright... normally, i look for how my opponent reacts to certain moves that i do. maybe i'll go in and do a running Dtilt, and just see what they do. i like to be on the offensive most of the time. i will normally find a weakness in their playstyle and keep punishing them for it. when they finally figure it out, they normally do something different to stop from getting punished, but that usually leaves open another spot where i can punish them. a lot of times, i can just run in and do a bunch of attacks and they just don't know how to react lol. it really depends on the player. but for the most part, i like to stay offensive.

3) You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)

When i'm up, i usually try to stay up. i don't want to get killed. i want to try my best to win with as many stocks as possible. i usually start feeling more confident, but i don't wanna get cocky because that could call me the match. i always take into consideration that they could make a comeback

4) You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)

normally i do try something new. i'll throw out a random move and hope that it'll do something different. sometimes i switch to defensive mode if i'm desperate. i just try to come up with a different strategy.

5) Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)

if i win, a lot of times i'll switch characters, because i don't want them to catch on to the character that i've just been playing. if i beat them by a very large margin, however, i usually stay the character that i am, but if it was close, i usually switch. i'll feel pretty good because i know that i'm up a match, which means that i can experiment with new things, considering that i only have to win 1 more match and they still have to win 2. if i lose... i feel like i just want to try extremely hard and take bigger risks in order to beat them.

Match 2

1) Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)

usually, whether i win or lose, i want to switch up my style just so he isn't able to read me. if i play the same way all the time, i feel like they'll eventually catch on.

2) Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)

normally if one of my characters lose, i normally end up picking another character, unless i feel like i can beat them next time with the same character, maybe because i was starting to read how they play. i usually just end up switching between falco and pikachu

3)If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")

normally i choose my stage based off of what i feel most comfortable with. battlefield is my favorite stage.

4) Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")

well...now, no matter what, i always keep trying my best, whether i win or lose. it's important to not get too cocky. that could be your downfall.

5) Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")

actually the things people say have a lot to do with things. if people behind me are cheering for me, i feel like i actually perform a lot better. if everyone cheers against me, i typically do a lot worse

Match 3(if)

1) Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")

as i said before, people cheering have a lot to do with the way that i play. if people cheer against me for the last match, i'll probably end up losing =( but i always try to do something to get the crowd's attention and make them cheer for me. somehow it makes me perform a lot better

Post-set

1) Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)

whether i win or lose, i always think hard about the match. i think if there was anything that i should've done differently, and how to counter certain things that they do so i can do even better next time.

Misc. Questions

1) What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?

I mostly use Pikachu and Falco. if i ever feel like not playing seriously, i'll go falco. he's my fun character lol. but i can still be serious with falco. on rare occasions, i'll go fox on the offchance that both my pikachu and my falco fail. my fox will suprisingly win sometimes when my falco and my pikachu lost. other than that, in tournament matches, i really don't choose anyone else.

2) Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?

both, really. i always want to try and perfect the techniques that i know, but i always want to learn about new ones as well. relying on only 1 thing that you perfect isn't the best thing to do. i just try to get really good at everything, and maybe it'll lead to perfecting everything. who knows lol.

3) Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?

in friendlies, i generally play pretty much only offensive. i love to attack all the time haha. in tournament matches though, i will play slightly more defensive. i tend to play better in tournament matches, i think

4) What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?

i just think that too many people give up. even if you're losing, and even if you know that the person you're fighting is better than you, you should still try your absolute best.

5) What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?

hmmm.... lol well... i guess i'd have to go with techskill. i LOVE doing a bunch of technical stuff, just cuz it looks really cool haha. a big part of my game is just overwhelming my opponent with a bunch of moves. it's probably not the best idea... but hey, it gets me pretty far sometimes lol

6) Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?

you mean like... someone who i look up to? or someone who's helped me the most? for someone that i look up to... i used to always look up to Ken, because he was the best smasher when i first started playing competitively. i might have to go with forward overall though, because i've always wanted to become better than him considering he's the best in AZ. lately though, he hasn't been playing much... so right now, i'm kinda just taking my own path. i just want to become the best. at this moment in my life, it's my biggest dream.
If you're asking for someone who's helped me throughout my smash career, i have to go with V3ctorman. ever since i've started playing competitively, he's always been there to help me improve. he's given me the support i needed to believe in myself and keep getting better. if it wasn't for him, i might not have still been playing melee today.

7) Whats up with your name, why did you choose it?

funny story actually haha. well, my friend (named Brian) and i were about to attend our first "real" tournament (AZone). while we were getting ready in the morning to go, Brian said "hey man, we need to think of smash names for ourselves". we thought about it for a while and couldn't come up with anything but ******** names. while we were both putting on our deodorant, it suddenly hit us... he was using "Tag" and i was using "Axe". then we were like "wait a minute... let's be Tag and Axe!" so ever since that day, we've always kept the same names haha. later, we decided that our team name would be the "B.O. Busters" :p

8) What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)

my FAVORITE combo with pikachu (on a light character, i love doing it on marth) is tail spike -> Usmash when they're on the air or standing on a platform. it feels AMAZING when i pull it off haha

ummmm... most people know me by Axe lol. my real name is Jeff though :)

Pi

Smash Hero
woooot

love your mindset axe

but uh
i have some bad news

i'm going to be the best =\

maybe we can team and share the best, but when it comes down to it bro

i'll be taking 1st place >=)

thanks for taking the time to answer axe, really appreciate it ^^
now i know how to beat you mwahahaha!!!
xD

AXE 09

Smash Master
ahaha sorry it took so long you guys ^^ but hey, at least i got it done, right? lol

hopefully i'll see you in grand finals someday,knihT =)

Top Bottom